S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Auf Wiedersehen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Auf Wiedersehen

After 6 weeks of ownership I have decided to sell my S 550. Although I have owned nearly 25 Mercedes in my life, this is the first S Class and I find the car too large, heavy and awkward. I do like the ride quality and the smoothness of the transmission, but otherwise find it a dull driving experience.

I do have an E 63 on order and expect this is more my speed.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by shoes
After 6 weeks of ownership I have decided to sell my S 550. Although I have owned nearly 25 Mercedes in my life, this is the first S Class and I find the car too large, heavy and awkward. I do like the ride quality and the smoothness of the transmission, but otherwise find it a dull driving experience.

WOW...sorry to hear that but an E63 will be a nice replacement. I don't think you will find that "heavy and awkward...:-) Post a note here when you get it so we can enjoy it with you.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:59 PM

'12 ML350

Interestingly, I've begun to seriously consider an E63 instead of the S550 on my list of next daily driver after the A8L's lease is up, others on the list being the S8 and the M5.

Plus, I just think it's a bit weird to be driving the S-klasse before the age of 40...even if I already drive the A8L.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:45 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
In my case, owned several new S/CL/SL55's in my 20s....and enjoyed them (except for the sloppy steering feel of the S/CL55's)...but about 18 mos ago, bought my first P, a 996TTS.....now any car except F430 has sloppy, unacceptable steering/brake pedal feel.....and now I don't feel particularly comfortable driving non-P's at high speeds (F's weak safety systems reduce my comfort zone w/their performance capabs in real-world settings).....

That said, if I needed a highest/latest-tech sedan w/world's most advanced safety/comfort systems, S-Class is only choice IMO.....had a 550LE for 6 wks recently to sample the new tech.....and am getting an S65 in July for use as a back-up car to my coming 997TT...for when I need a back seat/trunk/GT-sized fuel tank.....
Old 05-25-2006, 11:48 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Interface

Now that I am selling my S Class, I will tell you that the control interface (COMAND) is outstanding. So intuitive and easy to use without taking your eyes off the road. I feel that it is dramatically better than BMW's I-drive or Audi's MMI and will miss it. I hope it migrates to the E Class soon.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
I drove the S550 for a few days when it first hit the MB dealers and I share your feelings almost to the letter, with the exception to any size issues you mentioned. I loved the electronics, including the night vision, backup camera and COMMAND center. The command controller was "learnable" in 20 minutes. The car was rock solid and quiet as any car I have ever driven. I thought I was crazy when I returned the car to my dealer and told him that "it just didn't excite me". I've never owned a Lexus, but has MB captured what everyone on this forum complains about ? Has the S550 lost the passion of prior models ? Don't get me wrong, I've still got the S550 on my short list, so I'm trying to make this "work" for me, but maybe I'll have to wait for a '63 as my next "S". (Jack: I'm trying hard, really !)
Old 05-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
I drove the S550 for a few days when it first hit the MB dealers and I share your feelings almost to the letter, with the exception to any size issues you mentioned. I loved the electronics, including the night vision, backup camera and COMMAND center. The command controller was "learnable" in 20 minutes. The car was rock solid and quiet as any car I have ever driven. I thought I was crazy when I returned the car to my dealer and told him that "it just didn't excite me". I've never owned a Lexus, but has MB captured what everyone on this forum complains about ? Has the S550 lost the passion of prior models ? Don't get me wrong, I've still got the S550 on my short list, so I'm trying to make this "work" for me, but maybe I'll have to wait for a '63 as my next "S". (Jack: I'm trying hard, really !)
Didn't excite you? Just to check, does driving your current S500 excite you?

I have driven S-classes for many years and they never excited me, but they are fantastic high-speed long distance cruisers. The S550 doesn't appear to break that tradition

Personally, I am really glad to see what they did with the S550. It truly addresses most of the issues that the previous model had. Solidity, quality, fit & finish, overall design and usability of its electronics. In many ways, the attributes the old W140 had in its day.

Wolfman
Old 05-25-2006, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Didn't excite you? Just to check, does driving your current S500 excite you?

I have driven S-classes for many years and they never excited me, but they are fantastic high-speed long distance cruisers. The S550 doesn't appear to break that tradition

Personally, I am really glad to see what they did with the S550. It truly addresses most of the issues that the previous model had. Solidity, quality, fit & finish, overall design and usability of its electronics. In many ways, the attributes the old W140 had in its day.

Wolfman
Well I have to admit my S550 excites the hell out of me...:-)

But you are right on the mark as a "high-speed long distance cruiser." That 5000+ miles I just completed in 12 days was one beautiful ride. I didn't want to shut the thing off! In all my years of driving I have never felt so fresh after 800 or so miles in one day. The multi-contour seats, coupled with the ventilation and massage are like sitting in a custom chair. And let it be said I did not baby the car...I am sure there were some drivers who said look at that nut doing 75 around those 40mph marked curves...:-)

I am one happy camper with this car...can you tell...LOL
Old 05-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Well I have to admit my S550 excites the hell out of me...:-)

But you are right on the mark as a "high-speed long distance cruiser." That 5000+ miles I just completed in 12 days was one beautiful ride. I didn't want to shut the thing off! In all my years of driving I have never felt so fresh after 800 or so miles in one day. The multi-contour seats, coupled with the ventilation and massage are like sitting in a custom chair. And let it be said I did not baby the car...I am sure there were some drivers who said look at that nut doing 75 around those 40mph marked curves...:-)

I am one happy camper with this car...can you tell...LOL
You have a stunning car and I have to admit that I am rethinking my opinion of white cars

That said, I have made many business trips in Europe while living in Switzerland and often cruised at 130-150mph for hours (still possible at the right time of day or actually night) and walked out of the car relaxed. There are simply less than a handful of cars that allow you to do that and the S-class is one of them.

Btw, when I talk about excitement, a supercharger or twin turbos come into play

Wolfman
Old 05-25-2006, 09:44 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by WSH
In my case, owned several new S/CL/SL55's in my 20s....and enjoyed them (except for the sloppy steering feel of the S/CL55's)...but about 18 mos ago, bought my first P, a 996TTS.....now any car except F430 has sloppy, unacceptable steering/brake pedal feel.....and now I don't feel particularly comfortable driving non-P's at high speeds (F's weak safety systems reduce my comfort zone w/their performance capabs in real-world settings).....

That said, if I needed a highest/latest-tech sedan w/world's most advanced safety/comfort systems, S-Class is only choice IMO.....had a 550LE for 6 wks recently to sample the new tech.....and am getting an S65 in July for use as a back-up car to my coming 997TT...for when I need a back seat/trunk/GT-sized fuel tank.....
I understand somewhat where you're coming from. My original thought was to get the M5 because I wanted that tactile feedback in my daily driver, but then I decided to order a 997 S to replace my SL500 in the next few months so it's not as important to get a dailer driver with all that sporting intentions and can consider a car with more of a comfort/luxury factor.

I have a '99 M3 that is a track car only (and towed on a trailer) and is on its way to being a club racer, so I have the track fun covered. But I wanted a sportscar for the summer again after getting rid of a Boxster S almost 3 years ago when I got the SL.

Hence the decision to more seriously considers cars like the S8 or the E63/S550 instead of the M5. The appeal of a smaller car like the E-class is high though since I drive in New York City and don't really need a very large saloon as I don't carry clients or people in the backseat very often; and a Recaro child seat doesn't need that much legroom!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Give it a shot with ABC suspension and some nice rubber on it and you will want to rethink what a dull driving experience truly is.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Give it a shot with ABC suspension and some nice rubber on it and you will want to rethink what a dull driving experience truly is.
i second that, why not try out some modifications before you take a hit on the original price you paid.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
If this is the "Shoes" guy I know from Edmunds then I see what he is talking about. I think going from a SL55 or E55 you will definitely find the S550 a lot less involving. I woudln't call it dull, its more like German luxury car competence IMO. We're talking major refinement here with the new S550. This is what S-Class owners want this along with the great high-speed stability, features and styling which seperate the S from cars like the Lexus LS430.

Long as Shoes stays in the MB fold all is good.

The E63 is going to be a be a thug in suit for real.

Besides it isn't like the W140 was a sporty car either. The W220's build may have been much less, but its dynamics were way better.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 05-26-2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:04 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by rkao
I understand somewhat where you're coming from. My original thought was to get the M5 because I wanted that tactile feedback in my daily driver, but then I decided to order a 997 S to replace my SL500 in the next few months so it's not as important to get a dailer driver with all that sporting intentions and can consider a car with more of a comfort/luxury factor.

I have a '99 M3 that is a track car only (and towed on a trailer) and is on its way to being a club racer, so I have the track fun covered. But I wanted a sportscar for the summer again after getting rid of a Boxster S almost 3 years ago when I got the SL.

Hence the decision to more seriously considers cars like the S8 or the E63/S550 instead of the M5. The appeal of a smaller car like the E-class is high though since I drive in New York City and don't really need a very large saloon as I don't carry clients or people in the backseat very often; and a Recaro child seat doesn't need that much legroom!
Lived in NYC earlier in my career and commuted around in CL55.....would argue for straight-line urban/suburban commuter work, effortless torque of 55/65, advanced safety/comfort systems, and 27gall fuel tanks make CL/S55/65 fairly addictive and uniquely competent.....amazing how many alleged competitors come up short of one/multiple major commuter car criteria......

Had a 997S for 6K mis when it came out.....absolutely brilliant car....only downsides for commuting are weak torque (big issue in the 80MPH+ fwy rush hr flow in SF, perhaps not as annoying on slower, more congealed NYC region fwys) and the puny <17gall fuel tank, which means too freq fuel stops for those w/low MPG urban traffic or 100mi NYC-Greenwich/SF-SilicVy daily roundtrip commutes....
Old 05-26-2006, 02:58 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by WSH
Lived in NYC earlier in my career and commuted around in CL55.....would argue for straight-line urban/suburban commuter work, effortless torque of 55/65, advanced safety/comfort systems, and 27gall fuel tanks make CL/S55/65 fairly addictive and uniquely competent.....amazing how many alleged competitors come up short of one/multiple major commuter car criteria......

Had a 997S for 6K mis when it came out.....absolutely brilliant car....only downsides for commuting are weak torque (big issue in the 80MPH+ fwy rush hr flow in SF, perhaps not as annoying on slower, more congealed NYC region fwys) and the puny <17gall fuel tank, which means too freq fuel stops for those w/low MPG urban traffic or 100mi NYC-Greenwich/SF-SilicVy daily roundtrip commutes....
Agreed. For the daily driver, effortless driving through superior torque is preferred to a peaky powerplant, making the E63 is a better proposition than the M5 for this duty, though the S8 is pretty well endowed in the torque rating with its 5.2 litre V10. And while safety is properly high on all the German marques' lists of priorities, comfort and the advanced safety systems probably weigh in Mercedes' favour as well.

As for the 997S, no way I'd use it for commuting...much. I still prefer a manual transmission for my sportscars and would order the S with that sweet 6-speed manual, and driving in Manhattan (as I'm sure you'll recall) is a major pain with a manual tranny, giving my left leg a huge workout without to the gym. It'll be saved for the days where I can drive it on less traveled roads or highways...plus a few track days here and there with PCA drivers' ed.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:12 PM

2006 Edition CLK 280 Coupe
Originally Posted by Wolfman
That said, I have made many business trips in Europe while living in Switzerland and often cruised at 130-150mph for hours (still possible at the right time of day or actually night) and walked out of the car relaxed.
And you never got a speeding ticket? If so, you'd have gotten out of the car MUCH MUCH lighter!
Old 05-31-2006, 12:51 AM

06 Audi A8L/ F350 Truck
Interestingly, I've begun to seriously consider an E63 instead of the S550 on my list of next daily driver after the A8L's lease is up, others on the list being the S8 and the M5.

Plus, I just think it's a bit weird to be driving the S-klasse before the age of 40...even if I already drive the A8L.
That S8 coming out soon will treat you right. Good luck post lease, I am going get the S8 myself. The 8 is just the perfect balance between sport and comfort without feeling so heavy. The M5 is a burner though, Too bad it rides like a tank.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:42 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by coloradosclass
That S8 coming out soon will treat you right. Good luck post lease, I am going get the S8 myself. The 8 is just the perfect balance between sport and comfort without feeling so heavy. The M5 is a burner though, Too bad it rides like a tank.
That's the first time I've heard anyone say something negative about an M5's drive...interesting.

The S8 is definitely high on the top of my list and my ownership (or is it lesseeship?) experience of the A8L has been exemplary so it would not be hard for me to choose to go with my second Audi ever.

But then again, variety is the spice of life and I've never had a Mercedes-Benz as a daily driver since the SL isn't driven all the time. The only thing that worries me is the recalls I've had on the SL, plus the horrendous reliability members of my family have experienced with recent MB products. To wit: my parents' E500 4matic wagon has been in the shop unscheduled 6 times plus 2 for recalls all within 12 months and my brother has had several issues plus recall campaigns on his C32 AMG in the 2 years he's leased it. This is why they're all going back to BMWs.

If I can get over my phobia of recent MB reliability foibles, I'd feel more comfortable about choosing an E63 or S550. Plus I'm looking forward to driving all these cars back to back and see how my butt-0-meter feels about them.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
i too feel the new model to be heavy , and oversized. even tho pops has ordered one, his has abc. i have nevered driven an s with abc (except a 2005 s65) but thats a diff ballpark
we will see in many months when it comes
Old 06-01-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vdubpower
i too feel the new model to be heavy , and oversized. even tho pops has ordered one, his has abc. i have nevered driven an s with abc (except a 2005 s65) but thats a diff ballpark
we will see in many months when it comes
Believe me you will love the S with ABC and you will forget about "heavy" and "oversized" in a hurry. The car handles like a much smaller and lighter car...you will fall in love in minutes...:-)
Old 06-01-2006, 08:03 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
That's the first time I've heard anyone say something negative about an M5's drive...interesting.

The S8 is definitely high on the top of my list and my ownership (or is it lesseeship?) experience of the A8L has been exemplary so it would not be hard for me to choose to go with my second Audi ever.

But then again, variety is the spice of life and I've never had a Mercedes-Benz as a daily driver since the SL isn't driven all the time. The only thing that worries me is the recalls I've had on the SL, plus the horrendous reliability members of my family have experienced with recent MB products. To wit: my parents' E500 4matic wagon has been in the shop unscheduled 6 times plus 2 for recalls all within 12 months and my brother has had several issues plus recall campaigns on his C32 AMG in the 2 years he's leased it. This is why they're all going back to BMWs.

If I can get over my phobia of recent MB reliability foibles, I'd feel more comfortable about choosing an E63 or S550. Plus I'm looking forward to driving all these cars back to back and see how my butt-0-meter feels about them.
Also rather underwhelmed by M5....sloppy steering (prefer SL55 steering feel), weak torque, sloppy brake pedal feel, dubious safety systems (crash test data and general lack of BMW innovation re: safety), and <18gall fuel tank w/10MPG....there's prob a reason M5 is so easily available and BMW offers cheap 2 yr leases and free mtce on M5....

Can find anecdotes re: terrible reliability/poor dealer svc of any car brand, incl Lexus...and similar stories of bullet-proof reliability/great dealers....obviously, mfrs have the warranty claims data that reveals all....the other published reliability nonsense is based on statistically dubious data....how many satisfied, jaded buyers of high-end cars will waste their valuable time filling out long, inane surveys????
Old 06-02-2006, 12:53 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
The S550 is an excellent large sedan but no amount of upgrades/options will shrink its large size. But I thought people bought S sedans because they wanted a large MB sedan

Last edited by RJC; 06-02-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RJC
The S550 is an excellent large sedan but no amount of upgrades/options will shrink its large size. But I thought people bought S sedans because they wanted a large MB sedan
Agree...if you don't like the S Class because it is too big...then buy a E or CLS. At 203" long and 4600 pounds it is not being passed off as a compact...:-)
Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
At 203" long and 4600 pounds it is not being passed off as a compact...:-)

Are you calling me fat?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1993 300SEL/S320

All the S class are like that. But I don't find mine to be dull

Last edited by NZ_Benz; 06-02-2006 at 07:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Auf Wiedersehen