S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Break In Period

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Break In Period

Details ? How long do I have to wait for this particular model ? Reving? Speed?

Thanks!
Brad
Old 07-28-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Details ? How long do I have to wait for this particular model ? Reving? Speed?

Thanks!
Brad
They recommend taking it easy the first 1000 miles...on my initial trip home to Las Vegas from Denver, I kept it below 90...:-))) And I might add that was not easy to do....!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Make sure you don't keep it at one rpm.
You'll find two distinct schools of thought on breakin. Some say keep it under XXXX rpms and dont' drive it above XX mph and then you'll find those who say drive it like you stole it, hell do a burnout exiting the dealer parking lot.

Personally I'll take a mix of both advices. Don't baby it, but at the same time, be reasonably.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Got it

So Far - I have kept it under 70 because someone told me not to go more than 65! I think its just the amount of PUNISHMENT you give the engine - so I will not punish it - but i think i can bring her past 70

I got a price quote of $2500 to install my radar Valentine ONE proffesionally... Ill hold off - thats a lot so soon!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
Here is the "official" word from AMG on their vehicles posted on AMG private lounge:

The AMG recommended break-in procedure is an overall program designed for
you to get maximum performance, reliability and enjoyment from your Mercedes-AMG. The purpose of this procedure is to break-in the rear axle and associated drive train components. Due to the high quality standards adhered to by AMG, the engine itself does not require a break-in procedure.

During the first 1000 miles, do not exceed a speed of 85 mph
During this period, avoid engine speeds above 4500 rpm (SL 65 AMG, 4000 rpm) in each gear.
Drive your vehicle during the first 1000 miles at varying but moderate vehicle and engine speeds.
During this period, avoid heavy loads (full throttle driving) and excessive engine speeds (no more than 2/3 of maximum rpm in each gear).
Avoid accelerating by kickdown.
Do not attempt to slow the vehicle down by shifting to a lower gear using the gear selector lever.
Select positions 3, 2, or 1 only when driving at moderate speeds (for hill driving).
Select C as the preferred shift program for the first 1000 miles.

After 1000 miles, you may gradually increase vehicle and engine
speeds to the permissible maximum.

Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

By following the above outlined procedure, you will also be properly
breaking in your LSD. AMG requests that you visit your authorized
Mercedes-Benz facility to have the differential Gear Oil changed after
break-in at 1800 miles. This service is mandatory and is covered under your
vehicle warranty.

The Mercedes-Benz Part number for the LSD gear oil is MB A0019895203-0003

Note: All of the above instructions, as may apply to your vehicle type,
also apply when driving the first 1000 miles after the engine or
the rear differential has been replaced. (For LSD equipped vehicles, also
see LSD break-in procedure)
Old 07-28-2006, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by prsmith777
Here is the "official" word from AMG on their vehicles posted on AMG private lounge:

The AMG recommended break-in procedure is an overall program designed for
you to get maximum performance, reliability and enjoyment from your Mercedes-AMG. The purpose of this procedure is to break-in the rear axle and associated drive train components. Due to the high quality standards adhered to by AMG, the engine itself does not require a break-in procedure.

During the first 1000 miles, do not exceed a speed of 85 mph
During this period, avoid engine speeds above 4500 rpm (SL 65 AMG, 4000 rpm) in each gear.
Drive your vehicle during the first 1000 miles at varying but moderate vehicle and engine speeds.
During this period, avoid heavy loads (full throttle driving) and excessive engine speeds (no more than 2/3 of maximum rpm in each gear).
Avoid accelerating by kickdown.
Do not attempt to slow the vehicle down by shifting to a lower gear using the gear selector lever.
Select positions 3, 2, or 1 only when driving at moderate speeds (for hill driving).
Select C as the preferred shift program for the first 1000 miles.

After 1000 miles, you may gradually increase vehicle and engine
speeds to the permissible maximum.

Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

By following the above outlined procedure, you will also be properly
breaking in your LSD. AMG requests that you visit your authorized
Mercedes-Benz facility to have the differential Gear Oil changed after
break-in at 1800 miles. This service is mandatory and is covered under your
vehicle warranty.

The Mercedes-Benz Part number for the LSD gear oil is MB A0019895203-0003

Note: All of the above instructions, as may apply to your vehicle type,
also apply when driving the first 1000 miles after the engine or
the rear differential has been replaced. (For LSD equipped vehicles, also
see LSD break-in procedure)
Good information for any model. Chucky has the S550 with the AMG Kit so therefore the LSD breakin does not apply, but this is the best description I have seen for proper breakin.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Wasn't it AMG that not too long ago was touting the fact that their engines did not need to be broken in, because they were done at the factory?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ///MB
Wasn't it AMG that not too long ago was touting the fact that their engines did not need to be broken in, because they were done at the factory?
The engines are broken in at the factory, but that doesn't mean the rest of the car is.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ///MB
The second para explains the reason for the break-in and states the engine does not require one.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:22 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by Chucky300
I got a price quote of $2500 to install my radar Valentine ONE proffesionally... Ill hold off - thats a lot so soon!
$2500?!???

Oh... my... GOD!

For that price, I'd just take my chances and pay the tickets and insurance premiums!

Seriously, what did you get for this price? A $250 installation, and a blonde in your hotel suite?

I want to also install my V1, but can't think of a way that doesn't make the dash look cluttered. I've heard of some people mounting the unit behind the grill (which defeats the rear sensor), then mounting a remote display somewhere on the dash. I did see this very clean remote display for sale on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Audi-A3-A4-A6-S4...QQcmdZViewItem
Says it's for an Audi, but it would work for any car.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by prsmith777
. . . Select C as the preferred shift program for the first 1000 miles. . .
This might help eliminate the rough shifting that many people complain about with the 7G transmission. I intend to do this with my E550 when it arrives.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Setting the car into C just does a second gear start.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The second para explains the reason for the break-in and states the engine does not require one.
haha thanks jack... I overlooked that paragraph and skipped right to the actual break in procedures.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Setting the car into C just does a second gear start.
I believe Ricky besides the start in second, it also changes the shift points along with the suspension settings. However, I think the 7G problems have been pretty well taken care of. I did have the valve control replacement in my S430, but the S550 is about as smooth as a transmission can get whether it be S or C. In C I cannot even detect any shift at all, in S I can feel it more because of the higher RPM's shift points.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:58 PM

Harley-Davidson
The manual calls for the first 1000 miles to be driven in C mode for all models of 7 speed and 5 speed automatic transmissions. It can't hurt to follow their suggestion. When my CDI was new, I drove it in S mode from Day 1, and I had the rough first to second and second to first shifts that others have mentioned. I believe if it wasn't important to use C mode for the break-in period they wouldn't mention it in the owner's manual.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I believe Ricky besides the start in second, it also changes the shift points along with the suspension settings. However, I think the 7G problems have been pretty well taken care of. I did have the valve control replacement in my S430, but the S550 is about as smooth as a transmission can get whether it be S or C. In C I cannot even detect any shift at all, in S I can feel it more because of the higher RPM's shift points.
I took my SL for drive this evening in C mode and definitely noticed how much sooner the rpm's were between shifts. In S mode, the shift from 1-2 during take off was very pronounced as well as coming to a stop where it felt as if the brakes were being applied.
Having a tad over 700 miles, I will be leaving my car in C mode for the next few weeks.
I am surprised that my salesman told me to just leave it in S mode when I initially questioned him about it...oh well, you live and learn.