S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

New here - and a new S320 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
MB E350CGI T (S212 Estate)
New here - and a new S320 CDI

Hi there

Just joined this forum after having read many of the posts. I like the discussions and topics here
I live currently in Switzerland, but spent two years in the Chicago area, so I'm still kind of "connected" to the US

I envy you when I see what you pay for your S-class - for the same price of a S550, I barely get a "naked" 320CDI - well, there may be some logic behind it, but I just don't get it.

I ordered a new W221 (S320 CDI), delivery on October 30th. These are the options (we don't have packages, we just order each item separately (and pay premium prices for it)

- Iridium silver with black leather (similar to Chucky300, but without the AMG kit)
- Distronic Plus
- Auxiliary heating
- Memory Seats, dynamic multicontour with massage
- Linguatronic
- glass roof
- comfort head rest (I'm not sure if that's translated correctly)
- Bi-Xenon headlights
- 20" AMG alloy rims
- wooden steering wheel
- advanced sound system
- DVD changer
- iPOD adapter
- Ambient light
- Mobile adapter
- roof rack for 4 bicycles (a good excuse to take the car out with the family on weekends, too
- cupholder (comes as an extra!)
- back camera

I should get the new PreSafe brake and preSafe headrest installed (they'll start including them with the September 2006 production). But according to my dealer, they also changed some additional minor parts like: different colour for the buttons/controls, artificial leather for armrests (should be no haptic difference according to MB, but increase long-term quality of these strained areas), and some more small changes.
BTW: the 20" rims are the only "extravagance" I put on this car. I think cars like the S-class look just ridiculous with excessive accessories like extreme spoilers etc. I enjoy the "understatement", knowing I have all the power and gimmicks hidden inside. But that's only a matter of taste

Well, I can hardly wait until I get my new "toy" - but reading the other threads, I seem to be in good company here

Cheers
Alesius

PS: @Nevada Jack: really like your car, but even more your wise comments and threads in this and other forums
Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500 2003, S 600 Model 2007
Enjoy your S320 CDI

I have an S 600 on order for end of September (Switzerland) and happy I waited till the new production year has startet (early September) to include some updates and new features. Yes, I have ordered 20Z AMG rims as well but no AMG package.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by aschb
I have an S 600 on order for end of September (Switzerland) and happy I waited till the new production year has startet (early September) to include some updates and new features. Yes, I have ordered 20Z AMG rims as well but no AMG package.
Sounds like a great car (Both of you) ... and I especially like the color choice ha ha.

20" AMG Rims??? hmm.. is that available now in america ?Can i go to my dealer and get that?

Brad
Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Alesius
Hi there

Just joined this forum after having read many of the posts. I like the discussions and topics here
I live currently in Switzerland, but spent two years in the Chicago area, so I'm still kind of "connected" to the US

I envy you when I see what you pay for your S-class - for the same price of a S550, I barely get a "naked" 320CDI - well, there may be some logic behind it, but I just don't get it.

I ordered a new W221 (S320 CDI), delivery on October 30th. These are the options (we don't have packages, we just order each item separately (and pay premium prices for it)

- Iridium silver with black leather (similar to Chucky300, but without the AMG kit)
- Distronic Plus
- Auxiliary heating
- Memory Seats, dynamic multicontour with massage
- Linguatronic
- glass roof
- comfort head rest (I'm not sure if that's translated correctly)
- Bi-Xenon headlights
- 20" AMG alloy rims
- wooden steering wheel
- advanced sound system
- DVD changer
- iPOD adapter
- Ambient light
- Mobile adapter
- roof rack for 4 bicycles (a good excuse to take the car out with the family on weekends, too
- cupholder (comes as an extra!)
- back camera

I should get the new PreSafe brake and preSafe headrest installed (they'll start including them with the September 2006 production). But according to my dealer, they also changed some additional minor parts like: different colour for the buttons/controls, artificial leather for armrests (should be no haptic difference according to MB, but increase long-term quality of these strained areas), and some more small changes.
BTW: the 20" rims are the only "extravagance" I put on this car. I think cars like the S-class look just ridiculous with excessive accessories like extreme spoilers etc. I enjoy the "understatement", knowing I have all the power and gimmicks hidden inside. But that's only a matter of taste

Well, I can hardly wait until I get my new "toy" - but reading the other threads, I seem to be in good company here

Cheers
Alesius

PS: @Nevada Jack: really like your car, but even more your wise comments and threads in this and other forums
Welcome. Car sounds terrific Alesius and a great selection on options. You will love it!

Funny how MB's EU has a full list of individual options and in the USA packages them yet still includes some individual options. Has been that way for some time. I think the pricing difference for the cars can be traced to the tax structures of the two countries. Regardless the final result is one great car...:-) Enjoy your new "toy."

Thanks for the nice comments also...:-)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 AM

@aschb: S600 - not bad, I guess there will not be many of this rare species on Swiss roads. Fantastic engine, I would love to get it, too. But with my 40'000+ km per year, the gas consumption would kill me (and if not, my wife would

@Chucky300: Yes, the 20" AMG rims should be available everywhere. They are at least in the "official" MB sales paper. You can take a look at them here:
http://www.mercedes-amg.com/index.ht...om/accessories (choose S-Class W221, alloy wheels, 20")
Old 07-31-2006, 04:09 PM

CLK500 2003, S 600 Model 2007
Price difference US and Switzerland

There is no tax reason for the high price in Switzerland. I paid 249.800 Sfr incl. 7.6% Tax or 188.900 USD net (without VAT Tax) for my ordered S 600.
Seems MB treats the Swiss customer in a very special way...
Old 07-31-2006, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aschb
There is no tax reason for the high price in Switzerland. I paid 249.800 Sfr incl. 7.6% Tax or 188.900 USD net (without VAT Tax) for my ordered S 600.
Seems MB treats the Swiss customer in a very special way...
Should be a killer of a S600 with the 20" AMG's!

As far as pricing, an S600 here would be about $140,000 US without taxes, so that is almost $50K more for your purchase. WOW...hope we don't get treated in a "very special way" anytime soon...:-)
Old 08-03-2006, 05:24 AM

McLaren 570S, G12 BMW 750Li, GLE63s AMG Coupe
congrats to aschb and Alesius....great cars....wish you both happy and safe motoring!!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 AM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
We may pay less for the S550, but you get Cuban cigars! Fair trade.

Linguatronic? Is that an option for the ladies?

...and stop complimenting NJ! It just makes him want to post more.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JAdmiral
...and stop complimenting NJ! It just makes him want to post more.
Who me? I guess I will have to turn down the compliment sensor on my forum sentry so it does not activate the automatic response program. I also have it set to ignore JAdmiral for responses but it became overloaded due to heavy posting traffic....
Old 08-03-2006, 03:32 PM

@ JAdmiral: Linguatronic sounds really strange in english. I never thought about it because in German it's kind of - well - understandable. I'm sure ladies find Linguatronic attractive - they just have to talk and the car does (mostly) what they want. But I guess men like this toy also: at least one thing does what they tell him/her/it
MB calls the voice recognition system "Linguatronic" in Europe (Lingua = language; tronic = something mechanical). I assume it's standard in the S550 and allows you to select radio stations, navigation commands etc. with your voice.

BTW:You had a great idea: I just got me a Cuban cigar and enjoy now the unique taste of it while writing the reply. Haven't done that for a while... thinking about the money dissolving in smoke makes me think the S-class isn't that expensive after all - at least it takes longer before it dissolves

@NJ: Cui honorem, honorem