S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

LS460l Test Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Zildjian,

At first I too thought the same way about the S class but after spending some time in one, we now have an S600 and an S550 in the garage. Its far more intuitively laid out than the LS460, and when driving one after long time isnt so plain to look at as the LS460 is.
I see - I just may give it a chance...or get an SL.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by TNT
How did Lexus miss again?
As far as afford the repair bills.
I'm tired of this forum, no good information here, just opinions with no facts to back them up.

So how many engineers or should I say poseur engineers are on this board?
If you dont have any useful information to contribute, then I suggest you take yourself elsewhere.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Zildjian
I see - I just may give it a chance...or get an SL.
Excellent idea.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:37 PM
ON PROBATION

My Parents-06s500-just sold,06CLS55-K4,2006 R350
I'm tired of this forum, no good information here, just opinions with no facts to back them up.
WOW only 3 posts and already tired of us?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:38 PM
TNT

Its rough to say the least.

Drivetrain: Smooth engine, no doubt, but you have to rev the engine way too much to get any power out of it, and the transmission feels very funny. Its shifts slowly and quite sloppy. Finding the right gear seems to be bit of a problem when pushed hard.
the LS460 weighs less than the BMW 750i, offers more hp, more torque and a wider power curve, yet it is too slow.

Brakes: WEAK. The car needs new brakes ASAP. Plenty of Brake Fade, no feedback whatsoever. I consider this to be a major safety issue that needs to be addressed right away.
Edmunds got nearly identical #'s w/no fade compared to the S550, that's without the Touring upgrade 19in wheels and aluminum calipers? Correct?

Electronics: Very well implemented except NAV. ML sound system sounds great, need I say more. Radar cruise control, cant touch Distronc Plus.
German electronics are great huh?

Presence: I couldnt tell the difference between the ES350 and the LS460l they had on the lots. Looks like a hodge-pog(Sp?) of design and ideas thrown onto vehicle. Doesnt stand out like a car should for that price.
S550 looks much like an RX8 and 7er on the outside
7er on the inside.

Oh yes, the reps were drooling over the Alabaster White CLS55 with K4 and 030.
Wow, you must be cool. Are you sure you aren't some teenager with no identify pretending to own your divorced parent's vehicles?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:40 PM
TNT

Originally Posted by gangrun
WOW only 3 posts and already tired of us?
I'm tired of the children on the board. some kids here think MB = Ferrari.

This forum isn't meant for adults, off I go.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
TNT, you are not worth my time.

I am a married mad with 3 baby girls. So please, keep your insults to yourself. I work hard for my money and will choose to do what I please with it.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:52 PM
ON PROBATION

sorry dude but im 18 in a month so lets stop with the namecalling....................................... ............I guess he left
Old 10-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
I'm 15 in a month. Let's stop with the name calling.

The LS460 is very nice and very special in it's own unique ways, same with the S550. If you can't comprehend that, well........there's just no hope.

We all have our own preferences as to what we find attractive and unattractive in a car, but that gives us no right to call eachother names or make a rude/offensive post for that matter.

Some may find the LS' brakes very good, whereas others will find them very bad. It all depends on how you drive, and what you use the car for. Same with the other features.

Keep it up and your posts will surely be reported.

Last edited by AsianML; 10-20-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:06 AM

LandRover Disco
What do you guys mean by "brake feedback"? I hear this term thrown around a lot. YEah your opinion depends on how you drive . Theres' guys who drive fast in the city, heavy off the line others that drive fast on the open road, etc, etc.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
After seeing all the posts about the LS460L vs. S550,

All I can say both are beautiful cars in their own respect. It would be no fun if the whole world agreed that the S550 is their kind of car, otherwise everyone who is upper or middle income looking for a large luxury carwould go out and buy a S550. I think its great having all these choices of wonderful Luxury Sedans that we never had when we were kids! Having variety ultra lux cars with different character is fun for the consumers to chose what they like. I love the masuline look of the LS460L and some of the interior aspects while I love the way the S550 has those wheel arches and nice sleek design. My grandfather has been driving Mercedes since 1951, and he bought the first one from Germany and drove it all the way to INDIA. He now lives in England and drives the 2004 Mercedes S500, and he is a Mercedes Fan like Nevada Jack. My father drives an Audi A8l, he chosed it because it has quattro and the MMI was very intuitive and the car was bigger for him than the S550. Believe me, my father never bought a Mercedes, I have no idea why, but thats him, I drive a Leuxs GS300 AWD which I love alot. I like the style of the Lexus and the service of Lexus. BUT I also want to buy a CLS to give me more fun in daily driving, even though the LExus GS does a good job for average driving. In conclusion, I would buy any car I like and that does not mean I dislike another car, its just my preference. I would buy both the LS460L and the S550. One for daily driving fun and other for nice comfy road trips or taking passengers.

Last edited by Baloo588; 10-21-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Baloo588
After seeing all the posts about the LS460L vs. S550,

All I can say both are beautiful cars in their own respect. It would be no fun if the whole world agreed that the S550 is their kind of car, otherwise everyone who is upper or middle income looking for a large luxury carwould go out and buy a S550. I think its great having all these choices of wonderful Luxury Sedans that we never had when we were kids! I love the masuline look of the LS460L and some of the interior aspects while I love the way the S550 has those wheel arches and nice sleek design. My grandfather has been driving Mercedes since 1951, and he bought the first one from Germany and drove it all the way to INDIA. He now lives in England and drives the 2004 Mercedes S500, and he is a Mercedes Fan like Nevada Jack. My father drives an Audi A8l, he chosed it because it has quattro and the MMI was very intuitive and the car was bigger for him than the S550. Believe me, my father never bought a Mercedes, I have no idea why, but thats him, I drive a Leuxs GS300 AWD which I love alot. In conclusion, I would buy all three cars, Audi A8L, Lexus LS460l. and S550 4matic to give me a whole range of cars with different personalities and driving characters whenever I feel like it.
Baloo, I assume you are desi?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Nice write-up. What I like about Lexus and the other competitors out there is that they keep MB on their toes. Of course Mercedes always has a way of one-upping the competition but it's always good to have that out there.

I think that Lexus is doing a great job in finally coming out with something for the Lexus fanatics out there that want an S-class level automobile. I'm not saying that it's as good or better/worse, just that it's an improvement over the previous model.

With that said, I will be off to bed so I can dream about driving around in my brand new S600 Black on Black fully loaded with my supermodel wife pulling into my beachfront mansion! Oh and of course buying all of my staff LS460's to run errands in...lol.

Thanks again for the write-up!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Knew this car was funky when they offered reclining seat on one side only. Come on!!!!!! Is this to make the other passenger jelous???????

Last edited by kenstudios; 10-21-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by kenstudios
Knew this car was funky when they offered reclyning seat on one side only. Come on!!!!!! Is this to make the other passenger jelous???????
They just had to try and copy a Maybach feature so they put in the one reclining seat...you might say it is a "half-assed" idea...:-)
Old 10-21-2006, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Originally Posted by TNT
I'm tired of the children on the board. some kids here think MB = Ferrari.

This forum isn't meant for adults, off I go.
so long troll. go back under the bridge were you came from.

sheesh some people
Old 10-21-2006, 10:25 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Baloo, I assume you are desi?
Haha, yep, I am!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:38 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
As good as Japanese cars are ,other than a handful of models (NSX, RX7TT, Supra, Skyline, EVO) IMO they are mostly bland, faceless tools used for basic transportation. Flame away..........
Old 10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by TNT
How did Lexus miss again?
As far as afford the repair bills.

So how many engineers or should I say poseur engineers are on this board?
Did you read the MB fanatic's post? revving an engine does not suit a luxury car, this has been a Lexus trait since they introduced the LS, Just one of the misses.
What does being an engineer have to do with the LS Vs. S-class comparison?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:27 PM
ON PROBATION

opps put wrong age in profile im not 15 thanks for spotting that
Old 10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 CLS 500(sold), 2005 C230K, 2005 E 320,
Well guys and gals here is the basic rundown on the LS460L.

I drove a LS460L equipped with the Luxury package at about 14K additional to the base price. After dealer markup it was about 90K or so.

Ride/Handling: While the ride on the LS is smooth, its nothing fantastic. Even with its variable suspension, its very soft. Even on the sportiest setting the ride is hard yet not balanced like the S or 7. Its rough to say the least. My CLS55 feels better in that regard. It handles like a boat, plenty of body roll and the steering feels very detached from the road, the S has better steering feedback in that regard.

Dash: Way too many buttons. Not being able to use the NAV while driving another killer. Also the dash doesnt flow smoothly like the 7 or S. The controls and placement of keys felt akward to me. COMAND is much better with its force feedback and ease of use. I don't like the layout of the IC and its quite difficult to read in direct sunlight.

Drivetrain: Smooth engine, no doubt, but you have to rev the engine way too much to get any power out of it, and the transmission feels very funny. Its shifts slowly and quite sloppy. Finding the right gear seems to be bit of a problem when pushed hard.

Brakes: WEAK. The car needs new brakes ASAP. Plenty of Brake Fade, no feedback whatsoever. I consider this to be a major safety issue that needs to be addressed right away.

Electronics: Very well implemented except NAV. ML sound system sounds great, need I say more. Radar cruise control, cant touch Distronc Plus.

Presence: I couldnt tell the difference between the ES350 and the LS460l they had on the lots. Looks like a hodge-pog(Sp?) of design and ideas thrown onto vehicle. Doesnt stand out like a car should for that price.

If you have any other questions just post them in this thread.

Oh yes, the reps were drooling over the Alabaster White CLS55 with K4 and 030.

Test drove the LS 460 today. I have to say, I somehow disagree with your analysis. With due respect, the Japanese are definately gaining ground especially being in this car segment for less than 2 decades. The LS 460 does look quite good. I looked at it from all angles. Its a big car.

Pros: The ride is quality. The fit and finish, superb.

Cons: Its still a Toyota feel. The door latches, the feel, ....everything. Including the smell. It smells like a top range Avalon.

I think, I may buy one. It will look like an intelligent purchase that will look good next to my S 550. ( intelligent, because this car will be hassle free beyond the warranty time period, while my S 550 will be long sold and traded in for something else.... from Mercedes ofcourse ! )
Old 10-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
If you are thinking about buying an LS, try using all of the features of the nav system, the telephone, or the seat memory buttons while in motion. Also, if you prefer some screen other than the map to remain displayed as the default, you are out of luck. Also, how many times can you touch the "OK" ( I agree that operating the nav system can be dangerous) button after starting the engine before you get tired of bowing down to the Tokyo lawyers. I can tell you it took about 5 months for me. My LS evolved into an MB and I have never regretted it.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Originally Posted by gangrun
opps put wrong age in profile im not 15 thanks for spotting that

Your threatening sig is unbecoming of a physician or someone who wants to be a physician. That attitude will land in you in alot of bad karma, which is something the attorney's smell.

Good luck....not trying to criticize....just trying to pass on some information learned by others the hard way. It has kept me out of trouble and unwanted hassle so far....knock on wood.

T
Old 10-23-2006, 09:34 PM

Im sorry but this is probably one of the most biased reviews i have ever read.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Nyyankees3511
Im sorry but this is probably one of the most biased reviews i have ever read.
Thanks for your opinion. Thats what I thought of the LS, its a good car if you want to save a few bucks, but for me it doesnt stir the soul. I feel like a dead person when in that car.

Its not user friendly to me, but overall a good attempt by lexus.

Different cars for different people.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LS460l Test Drive