S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

LS460l Test Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
LS460l Test Drive

I will be going for a test drive of the LS460l in the ultimate luxury trim or what have you. It has a sticker of 70+ plus dealer markup (what a joke). I will give you all a review of what I thought of it.

Just for fun I am going to take my CLS55 hahaha.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 528i MSport
Good stuff fanatic...give us a good write-up. I'll be going Saturday as well
Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
When is the LS600 due?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Well guys and gals here is the basic rundown on the LS460L.

I drove a LS460L equipped with the Luxury package at about 14K additional to the base price. After dealer markup it was about 90K or so.

Ride/Handling: While the ride on the LS is smooth, its nothing fantastic. Even with its variable suspension, its very soft. Even on the sportiest setting the ride is hard yet not balanced like the S or 7. Its rough to say the least. My CLS55 feels better in that regard. It handles like a boat, plenty of body roll and the steering feels very detached from the road, the S has better steering feedback in that regard.

Dash: Way too many buttons. Not being able to use the NAV while driving another killer. Also the dash doesnt flow smoothly like the 7 or S. The controls and placement of keys felt akward to me. COMAND is much better with its force feedback and ease of use. I don't like the layout of the IC and its quite difficult to read in direct sunlight.

Drivetrain: Smooth engine, no doubt, but you have to rev the engine way too much to get any power out of it, and the transmission feels very funny. Its shifts slowly and quite sloppy. Finding the right gear seems to be bit of a problem when pushed hard.

Brakes: WEAK. The car needs new brakes ASAP. Plenty of Brake Fade, no feedback whatsoever. I consider this to be a major safety issue that needs to be addressed right away.

Electronics: Very well implemented except NAV. ML sound system sounds great, need I say more. Radar cruise control, cant touch Distronc Plus.

Presence: I couldnt tell the difference between the ES350 and the LS460l they had on the lots. Looks like a hodge-pog(Sp?) of design and ideas thrown onto vehicle. Doesnt stand out like a car should for that price.

If you have any other questions just post them in this thread.

Oh yes, the reps were drooling over the Alabaster White CLS55 with K4 and 030.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:10 PM
ON PROBATION

My Parents-06s500-just sold,06CLS55-K4,2006 R350
^ I bet they would after staring at those butt ugly POS's Japanese people call cars(actually, the Japanese dont even like the Lexus brand! )
Old 10-19-2006, 09:12 PM
ON PROBATION

^ I bet they would after staring at those butt ugly POS's Japanese people call cars(actually, the Japanese dont even like the Lexus brand! )
Old 10-19-2006, 09:12 PM
ON PROBATION

Old 10-19-2006, 09:14 PM
ON PROBATION

sorry guys i dont know how that happened (reinforces my point though)
Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
So only the electronics were a plus?

8-speed tranny not working too well huh?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Well the electronics did what they were there to do. They didnt malfunction, but only a long term test can determine that. Also VDIM is very picky, couldnt get the tires to spin one bit. Its very nanny like. Not much fun.

There were just too many buttons for simple tasks IMO.

8 speed tranny could use a software update to search for a better gear. I am sure they will fix that. It could have just been my test car, but nevertheless it left a bad taste.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic

I drove a LS460L equipped with the Luxury package at about 14K additional to the base price. After dealer markup it was about 90K or so.

Ride/Handling: While the ride on the LS is smooth, its nothing fantastic. Even with its variable suspension, its very soft. Even on the sportiest setting the ride is hard yet not balanced like the S or 7. Its rough to say the least. My CLS55 feels better in that regard. It handles like a boat, plenty of body roll and the steering feels very detached from the road, the S has better steering feedback in that regard.

Dash: Way too many buttons. Not being able to use the NAV while driving another killer. Also the dash doesnt flow smoothly like the 7 or S. The controls and placement of keys felt akward to me. COMAND is much better with its force feedback and ease of use. I don't like the layout of the IC and its quite difficult to read in direct sunlight.

Drivetrain: Smooth engine, no doubt, but you have to rev the engine way too much to get any power out of it, and the transmission feels very funny. Its shifts slowly and quite sloppy. Finding the right gear seems to be bit of a problem when pushed hard.

Brakes: WEAK. The car needs new brakes ASAP. Plenty of Brake Fade, no feedback whatsoever. I consider this to be a major safety issue that needs to be addressed right away.

Electronics: Very well implemented except NAV. ML sound system sounds great, need I say more. Radar cruise control, cant touch Distronc Plus.

Presence: I couldnt tell the difference between the ES350 and the LS460l they had on the lots. Looks like a hodge-pog(Sp?) of design and ideas thrown onto vehicle. Doesnt stand out like a car should for that price.

Yes, but did it park itself??????
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Hahah how could I forget about that little fact.

Well gents, the system is not all that its cracked up to be. It took 30+ seconds for it to park. In that time I could have parked about 2 times with my blindspot ridden CLS. On the second try, the car would not parallel park. Sales rep said there was not enough space for the computer to do so safely.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Sounds like to me this LS is just another big Toyota with features that don't work as advertised.

M
Old 10-20-2006, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic

Nice report...Lexus has to realize they are up with the big boys now and when you take on MB one-on-one with 1 more speed in the tranny, an auto-park system instead of a guidance system, 1 more speaker in the sound system, etc., etc., etc., they had damn well make sure it all works. Style and performance are two of MB key features and by your initial test drive, they have not met the challenge.

Let the penny pinchers beware...(as I said somewhere else) the Lexus is a car...the Mercedes Benz is an automobile. For those who don't know the difference then the cheaper Lexus will probably make them feel good.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:42 PM

'16 528i MSport
Easy with the name-calling Nevada. Just because we're considering an Lexus LS460L over an S550 doesn't mean we're cheap, it means we're the best bang for the buck type economical buyers. Its maybe 4K under the S550 or whatever when fully equipped.

Side note, Jap cars have also been best bang for the buck. Anyways, I'll be taking a peek of the LS460/L for myself come Saturday yet Fanatic, your write-up was good and mostly convincing that LS460 has to wisen up, but they've got some time...I hope you gave them your full feedback!!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I don't think Jack was trying to be rude, but when your spending money on cars upward of 70+ cost becomes a minor issue, and you might as well go for the best.

Secondly, Lexus has to realize that if they want to be taken seriously, they need to rethink their entire philosophy. I mean its great that you buff your steering wheel for 3 hours, or polish the glass headlights for hours on end, but the light pattern in the end was the same if not worse than our S550.

Also, let me tell you something, the rear reclining seats are a joke. The ottomann thing they call is a total joke. All in all it comes down to design, and it looks like a typical toyota product with a lexus badge on it and a 20+K price thrown onto it.

Last edited by MB Fanatic; 10-20-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
Easy with the name-calling Nevada. Just because we're considering an Lexus LS460L over an S550 doesn't mean we're cheap, it means we're the best bang for the buck type economical buyers. Its maybe 4K under the S550 or whatever when fully equipped.
I did not mean to offend anyone. The point I was trying to make to use an older proverb...don't be penny wise and pound foolish. I was not referring to the buyers financial status but to his (hers) judgement when you are buying a car in this price range. The lowest price does not always equate to equal quality and saving a few dollars may not pay dividends.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Almost a Member!

So Lexus missed it again, I thought they did well on the LS400 at the end of its life (1998-2000), screwed up with their LS430, but tried to fix it up along the years, and now this?
People who drive Lexus around here are usually the type that can't afford the MB's repair prices, They want an MB but they know they'll be stinged hard after a while. Also as a result they become some of the most ill-maintained cars around, The monopoly dealer sucks and put the obligatory Nokia-charger-that-looks-like-a-shift-stick to every LS they sell

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
I feel like I'm like that sometimes Everyone tells me I'm crazy for putting so much money into my 400E.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 PM

I was considering the LS460 because althought the current generation S-class is quite a looker, has outstanding performance and safety, I just can not get over the ugly, eyesore interior design. For the life of me I cant!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zildjian
I was considering the LS460 because althought the current generation S-class is quite a looker, has outstanding performance and safety, I just can not get over the ugly, eyesore interior design. For the life of me I cant!
Have you actually sat inside one? What is it exactly that is so ugly and such an eyesore for you?

Old 10-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
I actually like the new LS. Particularly the rear cabin layout. But because I'm mainly a backseat rider, I like how the wood trim doesn't extend all the way throughout the door. It kind of gives an illusion of a bigger cabin, and it serves as a nice head rest whenever you're bored. You can rest your head there, or chin, and won't get too sore. =D

Old 10-20-2006, 08:19 PM

Nevada Jack;1801869]Have you actually sat inside one? What is it exactly that is so ugly and such an eyesore for you?
Yes I have been inside one - the model I was in had very nice, supple leather, a very tacticle, quality feel, and just luxurious ambience. But, to be honest, what I didn't like was the absence of the floor shifter (as in the W220) and the design of the steering wheel - I have never been a fan of the lack of the floor shifter, and design of that horrendous steering wheel. Other than that, I'd be all over the car by now.

Last edited by Zildjian; 10-20-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Zildjian,

At first I too thought the same way about the S class but after spending some time in one, we now have an S600 and an S550 in the garage. Its far more intuitively laid out than the LS460, and when driving one after long time isnt so plain to look at as the LS460 is.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zildjian
Yes I have been inside one - the model I was in had very nice, supple leather, a very tacticle, quality feel, and just luxurious ambience. But, to be honest, what I didn't like was the absence of the floor shifter (as in the W220) and the design of the steering wheel - I have never been a fan of the lack of the floor shifter, and design of that horrendous steering wheel. Other than that, I'd be all over the car by now.
To each his own but you would find the shifter very natural and out of the way providing a much cleaner console area. The steering wheel is a little different at the bottom but it fits one hands really well.

If I was that much enthralled by the car, I would not let those two details prevent me from a purchase of such a great looking, performing automobile. To put out $80+ for a LS460L is really overlooking what you get with the "ugly and eyesore" interior of the S550...:-)))
Old 10-20-2006, 08:29 PM
TNT

Originally Posted by Mazinger
So Lexus missed it again, I thought they did well on the LS400 at the end of its life (1998-2000), screwed up with their LS430, but tried to fix it up along the years, and now this?
People who drive Lexus around here are usually the type that can't afford the MB's repair prices, They want an MB but they know they'll be stinged hard after a while. Also as a result they become some of the most ill-maintained cars around, The monopoly dealer sucks and put the obligatory Nokia-charger-that-looks-like-a-shift-stick to every LS they sell

I feel like I'm like that sometimes Everyone tells me I'm crazy for putting so much money into my 400E.
How did Lexus miss again?
As far as afford the repair bills.
I'm tired of this forum, no good information here, just opinions with no facts to back them up.

So how many engineers or should I say poseur engineers are on this board?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LS460l Test Drive