S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car & Driver Luxury Car Comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Thats great if there are more cheap people out there who cant afford a real luxury car. It just means that our S's will be more exclusive for those who know what a real automobile is.

At the end of the day the Lexus lost fair and square, and as Nickerz pointed out, it cant stop for ****, which reaffirms my test drive results.
Let's face it, Most people that can afford a Lexus can afford a mercedes-benz... it is the same market. The LS is an excellent performer with great features and touches... just comes with lousy tires.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by Kar don
Let's face it, Most people that can afford a Lexus can afford a mercedes-benz... it is the same market. The LS is an excellent performer with great features and touches... just comes with lousy tires.
Lousy brakes, same interior as the old LS430, and nothing revolutionary, as well as a parking system that doesnt work like it was intended to.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The LS is an excellent performer with great features and touches... just comes with lousy tires.
On my Dunlop SP5000's, I can do a siiiiick burnout when I take a hard turn.

Which I proudly do everytime I turn into my University. No ones around, it's nice. Those 225's rock for comfort and burning out, but suck hard on the highway. The car feels light, it's nice, but it sucks at the same time.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Lousy brakes, same interior as the old LS430, and nothing revolutionary, as well as a parking system that doesnt work like it was intended to.
Agree with your post, but as always I must disagree with your idea

The car is nice, but that's about it. As far as the S550 goes, eh. What's up with the V12 emblems on th S600 on the dash. I'm not that big of snob...

760Li? Oh really. A 430hp V12 was so twenty years ago. A car with ergonomics of a 2x4? Niiiiice, take a hint from Audi... speaking of which...

A8L? Could you make a car anymore bland and any-fricken-more unsatisfying? Lexus has, but YOU'RE GERMAN!!!!

Sigh, the entire market sucks. I wonder what cars would be like if they were designed by enthusiasts and engineers.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S600, 2007 Lexus RX400h, 2006 RR Phantom (wife's car), 2006 Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by vraa
Agree with your post, but as always I must disagree with your idea

The car is nice, but that's about it. As far as the S550 goes, eh. What's up with the V12 emblems on th S600 on the dash. I'm not that big of snob...

760Li? Oh really. A 430hp V12 was so twenty years ago. A car with ergonomics of a 2x4? Niiiiice, take a hint from Audi... speaking of which...

A8L? Could you make a car anymore bland and any-fricken-more unsatisfying? Lexus has, but YOU'RE GERMAN!!!!

Sigh, the entire market sucks. I wonder what cars would be like if they were designed by enthusiasts and engineers.
You think the whole market sucks because of the mostly trivial things you mention above. Of all the great things my S600 does, I guess I'll have to sell it because of the V-12 badge on the dash. Ridiculous! Buying a car is a compromise...you are never going to get everything you want. You may as well get used to it.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by carsinamerica
The LS 460 can drive itself. It's got cameras that track the lane-lines, and it'll hold the car in the middle of the lane without any driver input whatsoever. I LOVE Lexus, but I think that feature is insanely dangerous, especially in the Litigation Capital of the Universive. However, EVERYBODY does the useless gadget thing. Even M-B is not immune.
Can you send it off to get itself serviced? Will it come back home by itself like a homing pigeon? If I see a LS 460 driving down the road w/ no one in it I'll know who to call.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Nickerz
I'm impressed that MB got 1st place! Obviously Lexus fans won't be...let alone accepting last place.

One thing that bothers me the most is the reasoning of some people (mostly in other car forums I've read). Lexus fans crying foul b/c this particular review suggests it's all about LUXURY and then scores suggest PERFORMANCE is the key factor.

So tell me Lexus fans, when trying to argue how COMFORTABLE and LUXURIOUS the new LS-460L is...tell me how COMFORTABLE and LUXURIOUS you think it will feel being thrown clear through the darn windshield b/c your car couldn't stop in time for the accident up ahead!? Or, maybe you can simply maneuver the car around the accident, right? Nope, again, performance (or lack there of in the Lexus' case) won't allow you to avoid the accident b/c of the poor handling etc.

What good is a BIG BOAT OF A CAR that has all the amenities that Lexus fans are bragging about, if that darn thing can't stop in time to save the lives of everyone it’s carrying!? To take more than 200 feet to stop a car...it would be an OUTRAGE if this car ranked anything other than dead last! It should be disqualified from the review! This is a very serious thing here. Bringing a car to a complete stop within a safe length is VERY important to me. Yet, others however, would try to convince us that sipping champaign from the back seat that fully reclines and has a lot of buttons and gadgets, is more important than coming to a complete and SAFE stop.

Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion!

Nick
You make an excellent point Nick! I'd also like to see it line up next to an S550 at the track and see how well it does (0-60, quarter mile, etc...).
Old 12-02-2006, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
well if you look both the S550 and LS460 have longer distances than the others, they both have something in common. All season tires.

The lexus has the smallest tire width as well. Slap some wider summer (Z rated) rubber on the lexus, I am sure it will handle better and stop in the 170-180 ft range from 70 mph. You guys are forgetting that stopping distance from that speed is mainly dependent on tires and brake fade... brake fade isn't an issue on that vehicle with the massive rotor size.

I like the S550 more, but the LS460 is a very good vehicle... Outselling the S550 already, big time.
I think S550's come w/ the high-performance Continental tires. The cheaper car almost always "outsells" the more expensive one. It's just economics.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Just wondering where you got that info? Not challenging you - but from my point of view - I live in NY...... and see very few LS460s... but see PLENTY of S550s. Please confirm.
That's true in these parts too. I would guess I see two S's for each LS.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
But at the end of the day it is still at the low end of the high end market. Just look at the price.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by AsianML
V12 man....V12.

Wait. Sh*t. Wrong thread.
lol ASIAN...... why u little...................
Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
But at the end of the day it is still at the low end of the high end market. Just look at the price.
I suppose, but I don't really think that market cares...

Anyway, if you consolidate all your posts next time it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Buffer
You think the whole market sucks because of the mostly trivial things you mention above. Of all the great things my S600 does, I guess I'll have to sell it because of the V-12 badge on the dash. Ridiculous! Buying a car is a compromise...you are never going to get everything you want. You may as well get used to it.
Okay buddy, you be content with your vehicles faults while I keep holding out for perfection.

Unlike others, I don't like to stand down and take it, I like to stand up for what I want. Perhaps that won't get me as far in life, but I'll know that I'll always be content with what I do with no regrets. Being nitpicky is a right I have when you throw down the cash you do buying these cars.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by rkao
Might not be so odd: if C&D used an '07 Audi A8, it did get an updated engine in the form of an FSI V8 plus other updates in equipment and technology, so that may explain the change in the order over the 7-series.

The car used was an 06' A8 w/out FSI, so yes I stand by my original comment... Besides, even if they used an 07' FSI motor, the 15hp gain is marginal...
Eric...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Okay buddy, you be content with your vehicles faults while I keep holding out for perfection.

Unlike others, I don't like to stand down and take it, I like to stand up for what I want. Perhaps that won't get me as far in life, but I'll know that I'll always be content with what I do with no regrets. Being nitpicky is a right I have when you throw down the cash you do buying these cars.
But I don't agree with your list of "faults". What is a fault to you may not be to me. At any rate, I commend you for expressing your views and standing up for what you believe. We all have different ideas of what a car should be. That's why there will never be a car that that is perfect for everyone.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K

Are you KIDDING! have you driven an A8L, let alone the new S8. Audi boasts the best interior, the best sound system, much better handeling than the new S550 and looks just as nice. I love MB dont get me wrong but knowing both cars. (and looking at both prices) the A8 is a bargin, but the S8 (for around the same prices as a well equipped S550). Annihilates ALLL of them.

In the looks department I would even rank the S8 on par with the S63 AMG, atleast a close second. I implore you to see them in person, sit in one, and drive one.

edit: My family owns Audi, BMW, and MBs. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. But like my dad said after driving test driving lexus "its nothing special".

Last edited by Evil Duffman; 12-03-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Evil Duffman
Are you KIDDING! have you driven an A8L, let alone the new S8. Audi boasts the best interior, the best sound system, much better handeling than the new S550 and looks just as nice. I love MB dont get me wrong but knowing both cars. (and looking at both prices) the A8 is a bargin, but the S8 (for around the same prices as a well equipped S550). Annihilates ALLL of them.

In the looks department I would even rank the S8 on par with the S63 AMG, atleast a close second. I implore you to see them in person, sit in one, and drive one.

edit: My family owns Audi, BMW, and MBs. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. But like my dad said after driving test driving lexus "its nothing special".
I drove this 2006 Audi A8L W12 for a year and it was one lousy car...The worst I have ever owned. Among other things the transmission had an automatic random hard downshift that would jar your teeth when the vehicle was approaching a stop, and Audi was not willing, or couldn't, fix it. And keep in mind that I paid $130k for that car. Go over to the AudiWorld forum and you will see how much they like the A8L. There is constant discontent over there. No more Audi for me...ever!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550
Audi boasts the best interior, the best sound system, much better handeling than the new S550 and looks just as nice. I love MB dont get me wrong but knowing both cars. (and looking at both prices) the A8 is a bargin, but the S8 (for around the same prices as a well equipped S550).
I really have to disagree on the interior part. I think Audi uses very nice, high-quality materials in their interiors, but the layout seems very dated to me ... not modern at all.

I will admit that Audi is a great value in terms of price, though.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by NeverColdCall
I really have to disagree on the interior part. I think Audi uses very nice, high-quality materials in their interiors, but the layout seems very dated to me ... not modern at all.

I will admit that Audi is a great value in terms of price, though.
Even if the interior is a little dated, it's still a little conservative which I like. Still kind of gives you that "homely" feeling.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550
Originally Posted by AsianML
Even if the interior is a little dated, it's still a little conservative which I like. Still kind of gives you that "homely" feeling.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it, it just isn't anything new.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:01 PM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by phonetics
completely agreed.... the exterior is just so plain that it looks like any car drawn by a 5-year-old... no design whatsoever... it does not look different from any japanese USD20K sedan...

and they dare to launch it as competitor to S-class..... are they trying to embarrasse themselves or what? such a shame....
I don't think the Lexus is 'ugly', per se, but... how come the Audi looks like an Audi, the BMW looks like a BMW, the Jaguar looks like a Jaguar, the Mercedes looks like a Mercedes, and the Lexus looks like a Toyota?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by Richard / E320
I don't think the Lexus is 'ugly', per se, but... how come the Audi looks like an Audi, the BMW looks like a BMW, the Jaguar looks like a Jaguar, the Mercedes looks like a Mercedes, and the Lexus looks like a Toyota?
Becuase the parts bin is Toyota, Richard. Hmm lets compare the heated/cooled seats controls, from the Avalon. Cruise control stalk, Avalon. All these little things make a big difference. Let not forget the interior looks like a glorified Avalon. Hell mercedes has been putting its wood veneers on aluminum honeycomb things for years, Lexus just figured it out?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG

This car look sooo hot. It's serious -- the S8 is sick; but then again the S65 is sicker.

Wait.. no, I don't know -- whichever one you get though, you've got a great car!

No - the S65 is sicker.

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550
Becuase the parts bin is Toyota, Richard. Hmm lets compare the heated/cooled seats controls, from the Avalon. Cruise control stalk, Avalon. All these little things make a big difference. Let not forget the interior looks like a glorified Avalon. Hell mercedes has been putting its wood veneers on aluminum honeycomb things for years, Lexus just figured it out?
What really kills me about Lexus is the ugly, cheap Toyota shift gate with the different color letters. I mean, come on, that just SCREAMS Toyota!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Almost a Member!

nobody you deny the jaguar xj is very good. It is the most traditional one in this segment but we all know that jaguar has a very serious financial problems. We could see the traces of this problem on their vehicles. I wish to xj a more advanced and promises more features but unfortunatelly it is just a different taste. xj is not a bad car but if you get used to drive technological german car, it would be hard to get used to the xj. By the way if I would choose one it would be the Maserati Quattroporte. A real different in segment.