S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Folks, I am frustrated with MBUSA!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks, I am frustrated with MBUSA!

I ordered a S550 back in September (9/3), my car was originally slated for a November Build, then moved to Dec. Late November my dealer HBL (Northern VA) told me that my car has been pushed out to a Jan or Feb build due to part shortages.

What is the deal with this constant slippage? My sticker is $114K and I am about to cancel my order and move to an Audi A8 v12.

Does anyone know what is really is going on? When will MB get their act together?

I ordered my car will all possible options.

Andorite Grey Metallic
Black Premium Leather
P2: Premium II
Dynamic Rear View Monitor
Night View Assist
Drive-Dynamic Multicontour Front Seats with 4-Stage Massage Function
321 AMG Sport-Package
Active Body Control (ABC)
Distronic PLUS
iPod Integration Kit
Panorama Sunroof
Power Side Window Sunblinds
Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
Electronic Trunk Closer
Bluetooth Interface Module
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Most likely there is a shortage of parts for one of the options, consider finding out which one and deleting it if its more important to get your hands on the car.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
S550's ordered with Nigh View Assist are given a lower priority over S600's since they come fully loaded. Your dealer is not fighting enough to get you the car you want, its as simple as that. MNZ greatly underestimated the amount of orders they would get for Night View Assist and have ran out of parts for them. They wont build many S550's for US, and I blame MBUSA for this as well, for not being pushy enough. MBZ suppliers are working to get as many of the components for Night View Assist ready as fast as they can.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550
My car is equipped very similar to yours including all the P3 options, and as such my order was also delayed several times.

Every time your order was delayed, it means that the parts were needed for an S600 build. They take priority and every time someone orders one, another P3 S550 gets delayed. At least my dealer was honest and communicative all along, it doesn't sound like you're getting much feedback.

As far as I can tell, your dealer really can't "push" to get the car. The factory wants S600 sales over S550 so short of changing your order to an S600 there's not much you can do but wait. (Believe me, it was worth the wait!!)
Old 12-14-2006, 03:11 PM

2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
Night View

I think the night view assist is cool for the most part. It could be distracting and I find myself after 2 months not ever really using it unless I am showing it off to a freind. I would not let it hold up my car if that was the delay.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 PM

CLK500 2003, S 600 Model 2007
Driving me S 600 now for 3 month I would not consider the night vision again. It's really not much help in the dark. It's more for the "showtime" for your friends...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550
I appreciate it but I'm on very dark roads quite frequently. If you're not, it's useless.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2006, 05:40 PM

Folks, thanks for all the input.. I live in the suburbs of DC. For those familiar with the area, we are talking lots of two lane roads, Trees, Deer during mating season and thanks to the Potomac and the Chesapeake, lots of fog during the spring and fall.

How does night view work out in these conditions. If it’s a help then I will stick with my order.. if not then I can drop the option. I like to get your feedback before I make the call.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:48 PM

Hmmm, my order is very similar to yours. Except I didn't get the pano roof and distronic. And I got the rear seat package. But other than that, I think it's the same (even the same color.)

If my order gets delayed due to night view, I'll probably drop it.

For what it's worth, the only two cars I've ordered from HBL were both delayed significantly. I'm certain they sold the second one to a higher bidder. I met a guy who had the same options/colors bought at the time mine was supposed to come in. He said he was so happy they were able to find a car "on the water" with exactly the options he wanted. He paid MSRP. (This was my first attempt at buying an S-class. I ended up getting a 7, I was so p***ed.)

This time (my second attempt at ordering an S-class), I went with another dealer of course.

I'm not saying this happened to you. But I would make sure you get your order confirmation if you haven't already.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 PM

2007 ML320 CDI, 2008 Smart ForTwo
I say go for the Audi A8 V12!!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Audi A8 W12 is a POS. It feels like the engine wants to go in 12 different directions. Its also pretty unreliable and has many many problems.

There is a member here who went from an A8 W12 to an S600 and couldn't be happier with his new 2007 S600.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 PM

E220cdi Estate Avantgarde March 2008
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Audi A8 W12 is a POS. It feels like the engine wants to go in 12 different directions. Its also pretty unreliable and has many many problems.

There is a member here who went from an A8 W12 to an S600 and couldn't be happier with his new 2007 S600.
I agree. The Audi is just not in the same league. But what is. Virtually every UK and European car magazine voted the Mercedes S class the 'best saloon car in the world'. Well worth the wait. I have a 220 series and wake each day looking forward to driving her. Magical. You'll be glad you waited.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:37 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic

Oh I don't know if I'd call it a POS...for the 39 months I've had mine (and the 3 months remaining on the lease), the car was pretty exemplary for a first year (MY '04) product and the Quattro system was brilliant in inclement weather.

What did you not like about your experience with the A8?

I enjoy different cars so have ordered an S550 next but I think it's a pretty strong term, and entirely unnecessary, to call any luxury car offered today a POS. The market offers something for every taste, desire and budget, if that's not a free market economy, then I don't know what is?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:55 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by rkao
Oh I don't know if I'd call it a POS...for the 39 months I've had mine (and the 3 months remaining on the lease), the car was pretty exemplary for a first year (MY '04) product and the Quattro system was brilliant in inclement weather.
I agree that the Audi A8 is far from a POS. Audis have beautiful interiors and their attention to detail is exemplary, inside, outside and underneath.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
1. I do not appreciate the boxy interior of the A8
2. The design while clean, is very bland
3. I found the W12 to be one weird engine, it was not as smooth or as linear as the S600's TT V12
4. Very rough transmission
5. Too many electrical gremlins still and to top things off I did not think MMI was as easy to use as COMAND in the W221. Also the list of features and innovation was very low.
6. What is with the pig nose grill? My god it looks like ****. Its a luxury car not a freaking 18 Wheeler.

The one positive thing about the A8 was the B&O sound system and Quattro. However the new 4-Matic employed in the W221 is a heck of a lot better than Quattro now.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The equipment situation is getting better by the day. Considering how long you have already waited, I would suggest you continue with your order as your car is very likely close to being built or at least locked in. You will not regret this. Good Luck
Old 12-15-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
S580, GTC, GL550, NEW S550, S63 (Sold), S550 (Sold), ML350, C230
The S is the Best Sedan on the Road at any price!!!! You can spend more but it will not be better.

In my case I had to drop items from my options list rather then drop the S. Yes, i too was pissed and threaten the life of my dealer. I too had to deal with countless delays while my neighbors (the real players) drove past my street in their S's despite my 2 year old order.

So, drop some of those novel options and expedite your order... or do as many of us have and call some of the big S houses that have them in stock, find your color and truck it in. Trust me, you won't miss the Night Assist when your pimpin in the ultimate luxury liner!!!

How nice it would be to drive to Christmas Day Lunch/Dinner in your new S????

Cheers to all the lucky S Owners, future owners & enthusiasts!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 01:37 PM

'10 E550 4Matic, '09 S600, '07 CL600
Originally Posted by aschb
Driving me S 600 now for 3 month I would not consider the night vision again. It's really not much help in the dark. It's more for the "showtime" for your friends...
I agree. The night vision is basically useless if you live near a major city. Its to hard to look down at the screen while trying to drive.

It's a cool factor gadget, plan and simple.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:30 PM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Originally Posted by eddietr
Hmmm, my order is very similar to yours. Except I didn't get the pano roof and distronic. And I got the rear seat package. But other than that, I think it's the same (even the same color.)

If my order gets delayed due to night view, I'll probably drop it.

For what it's worth, the only two cars I've ordered from HBL were both delayed significantly. I'm certain they sold the second one to a higher bidder. I met a guy who had the same options/colors bought at the time mine was supposed to come in. He said he was so happy they were able to find a car "on the water" with exactly the options he wanted. He paid MSRP. (This was my first attempt at buying an S-class. I ended up getting a 7, I was so p***ed.)

This time (my second attempt at ordering an S-class), I went with another dealer of course.

I'm not saying this happened to you. But I would make sure you get your order confirmation if you haven't already.
You hit the nail on the head!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM

2007 ML320 CDI, 2008 Smart ForTwo
See is you can get a VIN from your dealer.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
i would say just cancel the order, unless you really want this car that bad
otherwise get something else
Old 12-17-2006, 02:18 PM

S550
Hello DC, I was there for thanksgiving visiting my family in Potomac, and got to see Arnold Schwarzenegger hanging out at Starbucks.
Don't feel so bad. I ordered mine in May, but it is finally reaching the Jacksonville port on December 20th.
I ordered every single option except for AMG sports package.

First the Night Vision was the delayed (but that's no longer the holdup, then the Panoramic Roof and the DD seats and I was told it would be Feb-March before I received it, I kept telling the dealer I would wait until all the options I wanted were available.

I received a call Dec 2nd from my dealer that the car was built Nov 29th.
Don't be surprised if you car isn't already built or very close to it.

I waited 7 months from the time I ordered it, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait, when I take delivery of it soon. I think after it reaches Jacksonville and they install the iPod kit there and whatever else they do,it will probably be less then a week to reach the Coral Gables dealership.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 PM

E220cdi Estate Avantgarde March 2008
Originally Posted by yeuchau
i would say just cancel the order, unless you really want this car that bad
otherwise get something else
There isn't something else. Drive one and you will know.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:44 AM

98 Ford Explorer Limited, 2007 S550 LE
Originally Posted by Zoomstop
Folks, thanks for all the input.. I live in the suburbs of DC. For those familiar with the area, we are talking lots of two lane roads, Trees, Deer during mating season and thanks to the Potomac and the Chesapeake, lots of fog during the spring and fall.

How does night view work out in these conditions. If it’s a help then I will stick with my order.. if not then I can drop the option. I like to get your feedback before I make the call.
I have the LE S550 and I live in the DC Suburbs. I have not yet had the chance to test out the night vision in the fog. i usually only drive the car on the weekend. However from my experiences with the night vision, it's cool, a nice to have, but I never use it except for to show it off to my friends.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Smile I agree the Night Vision is only for showing off to friends & hot girls

I too must also agree the Night Vision in my new CL 550 LE is completely useless and downright dangerous to use, even on the deer collision prone streets on two-lane back roads. It's cool to show to friends and hot girls though. My friends call my CL 550 "The Space Ship". :-) The rear back-up camera on the other hand has come in real handy, especially when I back into a parking space backwards or when parallel parking. I'd gladly trade my Night Vision option for Distr. Plus if I could cuz I'm in bumper to bumper traffic every single day.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait till one day when I get maybe the 2010 model CL 65 or CL 69 or whatever !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Folks, I am frustrated with MBUSA!