S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
View Poll Results: Too many orders or not enough parts?
Too many orders
11.11%
Not enough parts
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Too many orders - not enough parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Too many orders - not enough parts

After all these threads about order delays, mainly in the W221 section, I've been wondering; are the delays due to too many orders, or because MB was slacking and didn't "contract" enough production of the parts from the get-go?

Does this poll even make sense?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I bet they underestimated demand, or (this one I hope for) the parts that came in weren't of best quality, so they returned them to the supplier and switched sources.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
For what it’s worth, nationwide the average time for an MBUSA 221 to move off the lot / floor is about fourteen days.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And the time till it is back for repairs is what?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by s55toyy
And the time till it is back for repairs is what?
Well, any “221” owners care to comment? I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised s55toyy.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Well, any “221” owners care to comment? I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised s55toyy.
I won't respond to s55toyy since he has posted a troll question.

As other owner's here, I have no complaints at all with the new S Class. It has been one of the most trouble free cars I have ever owned and is certainly the best MB I have ever owned. The car is an exceptional ride!
Old 01-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I think it is not enough parts.

Jack, so you changed colors from obsidian black to white, huh? Good choice.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
AsianML:

Demand has outstripped supply.

Why do you care?

Do need a car your dealer can not get?

Just asking.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
AsianML:

Demand has outstripped supply.

Why do you care?

Do need a car your dealer can not get?

Just asking.
I think he was just curious after seeing a couple of people in the 221 section having issues getting a car. I'm curious, too. I've been actively looking for an S550 since late Nov, finally decided I had to order it early Dec, and I was certainly not expecting to have to wait 5-6 months or more for it. I can understand waiting for some limited production model (like the GT3), but for a regular model like an S550, this has been frustrating and difficult to understand.

I'd be very interested in your perspective as a dealer. With BMW, regular 5 and 7 series orders are pretty routine in my experience. Put the order in, get a build date within hours or days, wait 8-12 weeks (12 is the longest I've ever waited personally.) I even got a regular Carrera 2 order in 9-10 weeks.

Even my GT3, which had a special order color, was still only 5 months (likely less than what this S550 will take in regular old andorite grey). So something is going on, yes? I guess they really did misestimate demand.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
What eddie said. Just curious after all the recent threads.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
First of, I am not a dealer.

I just work for one of the best in the country.

I was just wondering what all the commotion is about.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by can drive 55
I think it is not enough parts.

Jack, so you changed colors from obsidian black to white, huh? Good choice.
Yeah...after I couldn't get the Barolo Red I went back to Obsidian Black and then yesterday took a look at Fletcher Jones stock on the lot. The dark colored cars really show the dust and dirt. So I went with white, like the S...easy to keep clean and always looks good.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:38 AM

NJ, will your GL come with chrome-touched stripes along the fog lights? Also. the bottom front of the GL can be of chrome... or chrome-like. The pic of the alabaster GL in your sig doesn't have it. Are you aware of that option?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:56 AM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
First of, I am not a dealer.

I just work for one of the best in the country.

I was just wondering what all the commotion is about.
Vadim, your posts are usually informative, helpful and generally excellent; but on your responses to this thread, I find your blunt reaction slightly puzzling, but it is tough to read tones from Internet posts.

Perhaps check out this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/176982-mercedes-ordering-process.html for some background info on the commotion.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 AM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
Originally Posted by AsianML
After all these threads about order delays, mainly in the W221 section, I've been wondering; are the delays due to too many orders, or because MB was slacking and didn't "contract" enough production of the parts from the get-go?

Does this poll even make sense?
Considering the speculations regarding order delays, is it not about time that Merdedes-Benz themselves come forward with the official reasons?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iBenz
NJ, will your GL come with chrome-touched stripes along the fog lights? Also. the bottom front of the GL can be of chrome... or chrome-like. The pic of the alabaster GL in your sig doesn't have it. Are you aware of that option?
The signature pic is for "display only." My car is ordered and the chrome you refer to is part of the Lighting Pkg. and Appearance Pkg., both of which I have ordered. Thanks for that astute observation...many people ordering cars do not do their homework and wonder later why they are missing something..:-)
Old 01-16-2007, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 04S430
Considering the speculations regarding order delays, is it not about time that Merdedes-Benz themselves come forward with the official reasons?
The MBUSA answer to that question will be "unusually high demand" or some such line.

When MBUSA puts together our (US) packages for the various models they apparently anticipate what they think we will want and give us the pleasure of driving those packages. But MBUSA fails in most instances to "guess" our desires and when there is a run on several particular items...we have delays. Why a trunk closer on a $85K base car is optional is beyond me!

To me it is a failure of the marketing group to understand what we like and the failure of the production group to understand on demand inventory and a failure of the computer group to build a system that can react to varying demands and a failure of the suppliers group to have adequate backup for high demand when it occurs. Long sentence but you get my point.
On the other hand when they do get the parts they are building one hell of an automobile!

I remember in 1946 my father had been driving his 1940 Pontiac all through the war (as were millions of other drivers.) He ordered his first new car ever...a 1946 Buick. It took him 9 months to get it and it was a beautiful car. We have not come too far in 60 years have we...now it only takes 4-5 months to get a ordered car...huh? Mercedes Benz and Dr. Z need to review their processes and use the resources at hand to improve what is a very antiquated delivery system.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I remember in 1946 my father had been driving his 1940 Pontiac all through the war (as were millions of other drivers.) He ordered his first new car ever...a 1946 Buick. It took him 9 months to get it and it was a beautiful car. We have not come too far in 60 years have we...now it only takes 4-5 months to get a ordered car...huh? Mercedes Benz and Dr. Z need to review their processes and use the resources at hand to improve what is a very antiquated delivery system.
I’ll let Z know when we meet at the Barrett-Jackson auction he hopped a bird into Scottsdale to bid on a ’46 Buick. Then it is back to Germany where he and the boys will be talking union negotiations.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 AM

2008 Mazda Tribute , 2007 S550.
I like your answer, Jack. Well observed, and probably not far from the actual facts! I will endure, and wait for that "hell of an automobile." No more comments on the subject from me.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:48 AM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by 04S430
I like your answer, Jack. Well observed, and probably not far from the actual facts! I will endure, and wait for that "hell of an automobile." No more comments on the subject from me.
Bravo to NJ for another intelligent response, I too could not believe I had to order the electronic trunk closer on the S-class as an option!

Last edited by rkao; 01-16-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:00 AM

S550
Originally Posted by eddietr
I think he was just curious after seeing a couple of people in the 221 section having issues getting a car. I'm curious, too. I've been actively looking for an S550 since late Nov, finally decided I had to order it early Dec, and I was certainly not expecting to have to wait 5-6 months or more for it. I can understand waiting for some limited production model (like the GT3), but for a regular model like an S550, this has been frustrating and difficult to understand.
Eddie,
This is my third Mercedes, my first was a 2000 E320 and I special ordered it and it took about 6 months, the second one I found instantly because someone backed out after the order came in, and the S550 took 7 months to get.
I personally would find a dealer that will allow you to order it that will give you a refund on your deposit if you change your mind. This way you get the order process started and get the car you want, you may then get lucky because people do drop off the list all the time. If you are like me though and you order every option available you are going to have to wait because very few people order all the options.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Vadim, your posts are usually informative, helpful and generally excellent; but on your responses to this thread, I find your blunt reaction slightly puzzling, but it is tough to read tones from Internet posts.

You are right, I do come off a bit blunt.

That is not my intention. My apologies.

Marketing has always been a guessing game. Sometimes it is right, sometimes it is wrong. In the end, they eventually figure it out.

Believe me, if I had time to put all my gripes about what options should be standard and which should even exist on the new MBs, it will be a never-ending thread.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

cl500-o5, s500 sedan-o4, new s550 sedan
I think it is both, too many orders and not enough parts, at least here in this area, the dealers i think just get overwhelmed, the car is flat selling like hotcakes all over the country, i think it has even surprised MB, before the car came out and early on most people hated it, thought it was fugly, the fenders were too flared and the taillights were horrendous, along with all kind of complaints about the shifter being moved to the column, etc, etc,.it seems now, that there are very few complaints and the car actually works,and we are not taking them back to the ship every week for B.S repairs.All good question's ML, this poll is good, and usually i hate polls.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:34 PM

'07 S550w/AMG AndGryw/prem.grey leath4matic Night Vision Distronic ,08 ML 350, YUKON XL,'71 ChevPU
Originally Posted by eddietr

I'd be very interested in your perspective as a dealer. With BMW, regular 5 and 7 series orders are pretty routine in my experience. Put the order in, get a build date within hours or days, wait 8-12 weeks (12 is the longest I've ever waited personally.) I even got a regular Carrera 2 order in 9-10 weeks.

Even my GT3, which had a special order color, was still only 5 months (likely less than what this S550 will take in regular old andorite grey). So something is going on, yes? I guess they really did misestimate demand.
Something doesn't sound right here. It makes me think the dealership has "poor connections" for lack of better words with MB. I just ordered a 221with the same color as you and many options ie. night vision, dystronic,AMG,premium II pkg,premium leather,trunk,steering,and rear camera. Got all (almost) and it will be built in the next two weeks. The only thing not available at this time is the rear camera. We are still trying to get it in as the car is in the Yellow ordering phase. Once it gets into the RED phase no order changes can be made. You can change orders or cars up until the RED phase. The dealer told me the camera can be installed after it gets here. I hope they are right. This dealer had access to a whole lot of cars in the White or clear area of the ordering browser. I don't know all of the particulars here but ask them if they can't access this MB site and get you a car sooner. The '08s will be out in the fall and production for them will have to start about the time your car is going to be built (4-5 months). A recent article in the Wall Street Journal reported that VW workers were upset because they were going to have to work 33 hours a week up from their 22 hours. Having been through the MB plant in Germany I know why they have 2000 plus robots building their cars. They produce 2500 cars a day in the plant. They have yet to have a robot out on pregnancy or sick leave. However, they are very tight with their suppliers and that is why they got in trouble a few years ago with quality issues with Bosch. I suspect they have labor/supply issues so we draw the short straw. I hope I am not stating the obvious here as I am a newcomer. Best of luck.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by valiumvilla@ear
Something doesn't sound right here. It makes me think the dealership has "poor connections" for lack of better words with MB. I just ordered a 221with the same color as you and many options ie. night vision, dystronic,AMG,premium II pkg,premium leather,trunk,steering,and rear camera. Got all (almost) and it will be built in the next two weeks. The only thing not available at this time is the rear camera. We are still trying to get it in as the car is in the Yellow ordering phase. Once it gets into the RED phase no order changes can be made. You can change orders or cars up until the RED phase. The dealer told me the camera can be installed after it gets here. I hope they are right. This dealer had access to a whole lot of cars in the White or clear area of the ordering browser. I don't know all of the particulars here but ask them if they can't access this MB site and get you a car sooner. The '08s will be out in the fall and production for them will have to start about the time your car is going to be built (4-5 months). A recent article in the Wall Street Journal reported that VW workers were upset because they were going to have to work 33 hours a week up from their 22 hours. Having been through the MB plant in Germany I know why they have 2000 plus robots building their cars. They produce 2500 cars a day in the plant. They have yet to have a robot out on pregnancy or sick leave. However, they are very tight with their suppliers and that is why they got in trouble a few years ago with quality issues with Bosch. I suspect they have labor/supply issues so we draw the short straw. I hope I am not stating the obvious here as I am a newcomer. Best of luck.
Wow, how long ago did you place the order? Sounds like you got quick turnaround.

Did you get the rear seat package or ABC?

I think different dealers are reporting different options as being in short supply. Last I heard this week was that the drive dynamic seats are in short supply. I also heard there was a shortage of ABC and rear trunk closer. And now the rear view camera according to your dealer. The first dealer I talked to said it would be very difficult to get an order in with the rear side window blinds. Who knows?

Well, it sounds like you found the right dealer to get this done in a reasonable timeframe, though! Congrats!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too many orders - not enough parts