S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Valet Parking - do you trust it?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McLaren 570S, G12 BMW 750Li, GLE63s AMG Coupe
Valet Parking - do you trust it?

Hello everyone,

Anyone here regularly valet park their s-class? Personally i am apprehensive at times even at 5 and 6 star hotels, especially in case the valet hits the gear seletor lever instead of the indicator stalk etc.....perviously on my e-class i saw the valet trying to shift out of park by trying to force the gear shift....he didnt put his foot on the brake and almost ripped the gear lever off!!!

Even with hand car washing service, the number of times i have come back to the car when it has been parked without the park brake on when it was the old foot operated type was worrying let alone the push button type now on the s-class.

Anyone here regularly valet their cars, and if so any tips for the rest of us???

Cheers.

Last edited by dr.skp.ortho; 05-16-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 AM

Yes, I'm apprehensive, too. The only place I have used the valet with this car is at one particular restaurant we go to every other weekend or so. We know them well enough now that we know they will leave the car in front of the restaurant.

But so far that's it. My wife thinks I'm crazy, because she points out (correctly) that any valet in the DC/Northern Virginia area has likely parked thousands of 7-series Bimmers with the same transmission control and dozens of A8s with the same type of parking brake. And probably at this point a lot of 221s also. We seem to see 3-4 of them everytime we go out.

But you know how it is with a new car.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 AM

BTW, I just read this related thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/194262-do-not-break-lose-your-kg-smartkey.html
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I just tip the guy big and tell him to leave it in the front...

I absolutely do not trust ANY valet guys...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
I just tip the guy big and tell him to leave it in the front...

I absolutely do not trust ANY valet guys...
So what is considered a "big" tip nowadays? I'm such a suburban nerd, it's been a long time since I regularly valet parked. It's only the last couple of years that we're seeing more and more valet parking here in the 'burbs.

Plus when I last lived in a city, I certainly didn't have the cash to be eating at any place that could spell valet.

So what's a good rule of thumb? And how much will get you parked out front?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
someone i know used to work as a valet person because he was obsessed with making money. NOt only would he take the cars out for joy rides (ie like ferris beuller) but he would also steal the gas key (speedpass mobile) and fill up his and his friends tanks. When i heard about all this - i really couldnt look at him again and just stopped hanging out and over time, he got the point.

He also would go through the cars compartments and take things out of there like CDs, coins, sunglasses, pens, etc. But - the idea of him taking it out like that - really too much for me to deal with
Old 05-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Originally Posted by dr.skp.ortho
Hello everyone,

Anyone here regularly valet park their s-class? Personally i am apprehensive at times even at 5 and 6 star hotels, especially in case the valet hits the gear seletor lever instead of the indicator stalk etc.....perviously on my e-class i saw the valet trying to shift out of park by trying to force the gear shift....he didnt put his foot on the brake and almost ripped the gear lever off!!!

Even with hand car washing service, the number of times i have come back to the car when it has been parked without the park brake on when it was the old foot operated type was worrying let alone the push button type now on the s-class.

Anyone here regularly valet their cars, and if so any tips for the rest of us???

Cheers.

I don't do it...no way ...no how. If I can't park it myself, I go elsewhere.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by Chucky300
someone i know used to work as a valet person because he was obsessed with making money. NOt only would he take the cars out for joy rides (ie like ferris beuller) but he would also steal the gas key (speedpass mobile) and fill up his and his friends tanks. When i heard about all this - i really couldnt look at him again and just stopped hanging out and over time, he got the point.

He also would go through the cars compartments and take things out of there like CDs, coins, sunglasses, pens, etc. But - the idea of him taking it out like that - really too much for me to deal with
What a scummy piece of ****.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by HLG600
What a scummy piece of ****.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

2014 S550
YUP.

A real peice of ****. If i EVER found out someone did that to me - i dont know what i would do. Telling the restaurant owner wont be a big deal...... nor will telling the valet company. The worst thing that will be is he will be axed.

Thats why I found it very hard to look him in the eye after that. He actually broke the clutch on a porsche 911 because he doesnt drive manual and totally Fuc*ed it up and then when the guy complained to the restaurant, there was no way to prove this.

Its because of his parents - one time he stole someone's credit card, went to a gas station and called his father and told him what he did - and the father WENT to get gas with him!!!!! And - when they got home, he ordered dinner - and the fathers ONLY concern was to throw the containers in someone else's garbage so that it couldnt be traced to their house. Sick!

Not nice.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by dr.skp.ortho
Hello everyone,

Cheers.
NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!

Self park in Valet Prime Front Line location take up two spots and tip the hell out of the attendant ($20-$40 in SoFo) lock it and take the key.
One door ding $175
At any given time the content of my car could exceed $$,$$$
99% of the time I carry, But if the restaurant has a bar I can't carry.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I forget the name of the show but one of the under cover video specials, anyhow they did one on Valet parking.....Oooohhh boy let me tell you never again...

They showed this 1 clown taking joy ride (hidden cameras inside vehicle, and outside) he proceded to take a brand new high dollar burn out session, then get this, got out and pissed in the gas tank???? also kicked the lower body panels etc..

Obviously a worse case scenario but you never know what some 18-22 yr old jealous/half crazed kid is capable of given carte blanche to a car he'll most likely never be able to own.

Park it yourself, I've had to many friends tell horror stories, as well as seeing 1st hand ---Valet troll, backing lowered Mercs, BMW's, etc, over a city sidewalk curb (at least 7-9" tall) to fit more cars into this 1 spot near restaurant, scrapping bumpers etc! Doing this easily knocks a sports car/or sedan outt've alignment bends wheels etc... I couldn't believe my eyes

Edit: Almost forgot 1 time had to use these Valet fukurs, underground lot dentist/DR's office parking, no way to turn around, was in my S class, just had the full face lift done brand new AMG 03-up front end bumper etc..
Didn't notice till 50 miles away at coffee spot on the 1 frwy, (It had to be valet, I washed the car that morning, only stop was Dr. Valet ****hole) when getting out for coffee I looked back at my ride, being a dork admiring the new facelift work then shocked noticed the front AMG blk screen was kicked in! upon closer inspection you could totally see the bumper mesh deff fit a shoe imprint!!!!!! luckily I got it home & took it off re-shaped/bent it out and re-painted it for free, though not everyone can/could do that as I Airbrush/paint for a living..

Last edited by Thericker; 05-16-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 PM

Mercedes E350, E550s on it's way!
We've heard the opposition to using the service. But, If you are interested in Valet Services! Here are some handy tips!

1. A good way to tell a bad valet from a good valet is the way there employees are dressed, are they clean cut, dressed well? Ask yourself these questions, believe me it shows a persons character half the time, and the way they present themselves helps determine this.

2. Are all of your valuables stored in your glove compartment and locked, I can live with some missing change, just not my $400.00 Oakley's being taken. To help keep them safe, take your Valet key from your main ring, always remember this!

3. If your uncertain that the person parking your vehicle isn't familiar with your line of Mercedes instruct them how to take it out of park, or any other obstacles you feel they may have problems solving in the operation of your vehicle. It's not rocket science, so be easy on them.

4. A sure way to tell if your car has been "joy riding." Make a mental note of the miles on your display before exiting your vehicle, and for good measure reset the mile counter as well! This will give you the evidence you need in case this situation ever arises!

5. Remember, eye contact and verbal conversation is a big deal, it let's them know there not a ghost and your recognizing them and showing authority over the situation while reaffirming that there under your watchful eye.

6. Tips! They make there living on it! Word gets around quick ladies and gentlemen if you stip. You'll be lucky to get your vehicle back without the wheels missing. This becomes especially true if it's the same company.

7. Valet services are usually outside companies operating under the services of the restaurant or hotel your visiting, they are accountable for there actions, use this to your advantage when something is wrong.

Hopefully, you will take these helpful tips to heart, maybe some of you who are firmly against using there services might consider it next time, maybe using some of my ideas.

I've never had one truly bad experience, in fact, the more polite and down to earth you are, the more and more they'll remember you. This will spread quickly and you'll receive amazing service every time.

For those of you, hell-bent for disagreement, or confrontation, this is my opinion, as I respect your's do respect mine.

Last edited by AkMadness; 05-16-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by AkMadness
We've heard the opposition to using the service. But, If you are interested in Valet Services! Here are some handy tips!

6. Tips! They make there living on it! Word gets around quick ladies and gentlemen if you stip. You'll be lucky to get your vehicle back without the wheels missing. This becomes especially true if it's the same company.
All your points are very valid and are true.

For #6..... I have to say something. With all respect to everyone - there are Valet "boys" that want $20 for the 2 hours you were inside the restaurant just because you drive a high end car.

Im sorry - Just because one drives a high end car, does not automatically mean it is the norm to tip a $20.

Further, I think its awful that these "boys" would go around and say "he gave me $10... lets scratch is car next time"

Everything is relative. Going out to dinner - if you are happy - 20% of the bill.

That leads me to a question I just thought of - what IS a good tip for a valet? Lets say you are going to a restaurant in manhattan - nothing TOO expensive, but the place has valet - and they park your car wherever, not in front of the place - and when you present your ticket to get your car back, how much do you tip the driver that hands you the key?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 PM

Wink

All your points are very valid and are true.

For #6..... I have to say something. With all respect to everyone - there are Valet "boys" that want $20 for the 2 hours you were inside the restaurant just because you drive a high end car.

I'm sorry - Just because one drives a high end car, does not automatically mean it is the norm to tip a $20.

Further, I think its awful that these "boys" would go around and say "he gave me $10... lets scratch is car next time"

Everything is relative. Going out to dinner - if you are happy - 20% of the bill.

That leads me to a question I just thought of - what IS a good tip for a valet? Lets say you are going to a restaurant in Manhattan - nothing TOO expensive, but the place has valet - and they park your car wherever, not in front of the place - and when you present your ticket to get your car back, how much do you tip the driver that hands you the key?

I can't tell you how true that is. But remember, to valet your vehicle there's always almost without question an hourly charge. These valet attendants don't see that money, they make there's usually off an hourly pay, some are usually around 12/hr + tips. Ya, they do get greedy, so this is my approach, yes, it can be expensive. $5 dollar tip when they take my car, %5 dollar to $10 dollar tip when received. It varies, and you never have to be consistent. And it help's to keep smaller bills in your wallet for these occasions, it's not going to settle well if you pull out a $20 and ask if they have change.

Just because one valet feels like he got under tipped, does not mean his fellow employee(s) feels the same way. With youth does come some arrogance. Older attendants understand this more often than not, they know 10 dollars is better than nothing at all.

Last edited by AkMadness; 05-16-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned

2014 S550
I can't tell you how true that is. But remember, to valet your vehicle there's always almost without question an hourly charge. These valet attendants don't see that money, they make there's usually off an hourly pay, some are usually around 12/hr + tips. Ya, they do get greedy, so this is my approach, yes, it can be expensive. $5 dollar tip when they take my car, %5 dollar to $10 dollar tip when received. It varies, and you never have to be consistent. And it help's to keep smaller bills in your wallet for these occasions, it's not going to settle well if you pull out a $20 and ask if they have change.

Just because one valet feels like he got under tipped, does not mean his fellow employee(s) feels the same way. With youth does come some arrogance. Older attendants understand this more often than not, they know 10 dollars is better than nothing at all.

I just remmebered - I can name names here because it happened twice to me.

SOUTH FIN RESTAURANT in staten island, NY.

That place is very expensive - fine seafood - really great. I wont comment about in detail, except for the Valet.

They SPECIFICALLY TOLD ME they are expecting a really generous tip - on 2 occassions, and i am quoting "Ill park it right there (Pointing to the first spot right by the door) and you take care of me well when you pick up your car." Not in question form - they are TELLING YOU this is how it is going to be.

Now - how is it that you can respond with ANYTHING except "yes thanks"

If you say NO........

a) That means you will have to imply to them that you dont want to take part in their "deal of the century" and that leaves you open to sitting and eating with the dread that you will get your car back with a ding, scratch, whatever

b) Have to in a bad case, EXPLAIN to the crone why you wont take part in that when they ASK YOU "why not"

c) You will now realize that everytime you go to this place - you will face the SAME jackasses.........

OK - SO you are probably wondering what happened with me? Well i went with 2 friends of mine, and they said their "ill park it there, and you take care of me after" line - and I replied the only obvious thing i could say. "OK".

On the way out - I specifically ASKED my friends, "gee, how much should i give, no one ever propositioned me from a VALET service??" and one said $5, the other said $10 - so I decided just to make the evening end without a hitch, I gave the guy, sitting on a stoop, smoking, a $10 bill and said Thank you for "everything" ....... as if i am supposed to THANK HIM that the restaurant happens to have 3 spaces by the door for cars to be parked there......Besides the lot they have for 50 cars about 20 feet away.
Yes - this Valet place obviously had SOMETHING to do with the restaurants blueprints when they made the parking spots........ (Yes, im being sarcastic because what they said next... angered me to the point if i had a gun, i really question my reaction)....

The "dude" looked at my $10 and asked me right in front of my friends "You call this taking care of me? I would have expected at least a $20 out of this... look where i put your car"

For a second, I stood there with my jaw open totally speechless. Then it hit me - and i asked "are you serious?" I took the $10 back, put it in my wallet, and motioned that i Was taking a larger denomination, but instead, i took out my phone, took a picture of him right in front of him, and gave him the business card of a detective. He asked me "what the hell is this" and i said, because of what just took place, that person would be getting a phone call and that his picture was being sent to that person and if there is ever so much as a dust spot made on this car the next time i come to dine here, I will make sure he is held fully responsible.

In hindsight, I dont know how a photo of this creep would be able to ID him if he was not there that night, but i was so angry, I did not have all the answers

But really - what the FUC* gave him the ***** to start that.

Next time i went there, I dont recall if i saw him there, but they put my car in the first spot as though it was a normal spot and a $5 tip at the end of the night was accepted and no words were exchanged.

I really dont think that I, or anyone else is obligated to give more than that unless you are "friends" with the guy the way you might overtip to a waitress just because she is the daughter of a good friend.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I'd be happy with a $10 tip...I mean, that's a decent amount more than what I make in one hour of actual work!

Maybe I should become a valet...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
I'd be happy with a $10 tip...I mean, that's a decent amount more than what I make in one hour of actual work!

Maybe I should become a valet...
It sure is a good tip - but to think that someone would actually feel able to turn that down and make you feel guilty about it.... yikes
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM

Yes, no doubt there are those occasional horror stories, such as yours. But again, stated in my tips post, you did exactly what I was speaking of, you took control of the situation, using authority. Its your car, your money, not the other way around. Cheers
Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

2014 S550
Yes, no doubt there are those occasional horror stories, such as yours. But again, stated in my tips post, you did exactly what I was speaking of, you took control of the situation, using authority. Its your car, your money, not the other way around. Cheers
hehe yea. Surely the occasional moments are tough - but in general your tips work perfectly.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
my dad always valets his cars even the S550. one time at the Peninsula, a valet guy scratched the rim and when my dad found out about it he went back and the guy denied it, but not knowing my dad knows the owner and is well connected and everything it was also caught on video tape. they played the tape and sure enough guy was fired on the spot for lying and rim was replaced by the hotel. it was 20" Brabus Monoblock S by the way.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
years ago i used to own a valet company... not all calets are shady.. but there certainly are alot out there... it just depends on who is running hte company. in alot of cases the manner in which the company is run creates valets that steal things, drive poorly, etc. none of these actions are acceptable under any circumstances.

that being said, no matter whether you have a $5K beater or a $180K S600 you have a right to have your vehicle parked for the posted amount and get it back without incident. you should tip in relation to the service. if the valet runs to get your vehicle, is pleasent and friendly, and opens the door for you and your passengers, then you might want to give a decent tip. the tip is totally seperate from the cost of parking since the cost of the space rental is actually calculated seperately and can vary widely depending on location. typical parking costs are usually around $10. a typical tip is between $4-6 but many people tip more or less. I would say that $2 is the minimum tip that anyone gives.

If you are worried about anything happening to your vehicle your best bet is to have the attendant park the vehicle in front. the honest truth is that anytime you let someone else drive your vehicle on the street there is a chance that something can happen. the vast majority of the time nothing will but if you just do not want to risk it you might consider paying to have the vehicle put up front. nowadays a front spot usually will cost you $20-$30 for the front spot and the tip (though this can go much higher if the space is in demand such as friday night at a busy nightclub)

Finally, remember that valet parking is regulated and the valet company is required to carry a very large insurance policy (most cities require $1,000,000 total liability nowadays). the insurance is there for your protection so do not hesitate to use it if you notice any damage.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
rob: thanks for the inside information.

A couple questions I had regarding the cost of renting the space. I've been to some lots that use a valet company and other lots that look like they hired a guy to valet for their lot, for example a restaurant owned parking lot. Now, if they charge a "service fee" of $5, is the restaurant or business keeping track of the number of cars parked and collecting $5 per car from the valet? Or, is this simply a guaranteed tip for the valet guy?

Also, regarding the insurance policy, I would say most people just hop in their cars and drive off. I imagine it would be fairly difficult to prove any damage was done by the valet guy. As a customer, what would you say would be the best way to handle this type of situation?

As far as my take on using valets, in LA, it's VERY difficult to avoid. I try to avoid them as much as possible, often times driving around the block several times to find a spot on the street. If I can't find a spot, I will reluctantly valet. Another thing, I'm fairly ok with using valets in parking garages or lots. I figure, they can only go so fast or take your car so far. It's the valets that drive your car on the streets to some unknown lot that I avoid like the plague.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Banned

2014 S550
If anyone here lives in Boston, or has visited Boston with their car...... EVERYWHERE YOU GO is valet. Every restaurant has a valet. Literally, everywhere ( repeat myself because its actually shocking that its true)

I went there on December 28th of 06. I couldnt park anywhere without paying a 18-20 with baggy trousers and hanging low at the hip to park my car.

You KNOW i was nervous =)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

C320

The "dude" looked at my $10 and asked me right in front of my friends "You call this taking care of me? I would have expected at least a $20 out of this... look where i put your car"

For a second, I stood there with my jaw open totally speechless. Then it hit me - and i asked "are you serious?" I took the $10 back, put it in my wallet, and motioned that i Was taking a larger denomination, but instead, i took out my phone, took a picture of him right in front of him, and gave him the business card of a detective. He asked me "what the hell is this" and i said, because of what just took place, that person would be getting a phone call and that his picture was being sent to that person and if there is ever so much as a dust spot made on this car the next time i come to dine here, I will make sure he is held fully responsible.
Dude you carry around detective's business cards?? Who are you, McGruff the crime dog? You had to have been the kid no one liked because you were always taddling on all the other kids! I bet that detective would slap you for giving out his card for some stupid s#$t like that.

Designs lady clothes by day and fights valet crime by night!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Valet Parking - do you trust it?