GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Do not break/lose your KG smartkey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Do not break/lose your KG smartkey

What a week, I lost one of my KG smartkey two days ago and tonight, my other KG smartkey somehow got badly damaged by a valet parking guy, I assume he ran over the KG smartkey accidentally and my GL would not detect the key. Talk about not being able to do anything without KG smartkey. BTW, tele-aid still worked and I was able to get help from a local dealer, but he couldn't do anything and even locking it was impossible. We couldn't tow GL out of the parking lot because the parking lot was too small and the entrance is too curveous for the tow truck to get in, so I will have to order a KG smartkey first thing tomorrow and hopefully I will have it in two days and meanwhile, my unlocked GL is seating at the restaurant's parking lot and I am really praying nothing bad will happen to my GL.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Originally Posted by petery
What a week, I lost one of my KG smartkey two days ago and tonight, my other KG smartkey somehow got badly damaged by a valet parking guy, I assume he ran over the KG smartkey accidentally and my GL would not detect the key. Talk about not being able to do anything without KG smartkey. BTW, tele-aid still worked and I was able to get help from a local dealer, but he couldn't do anything and even locking it was impossible. We couldn't tow GL out of the parking lot because the parking lot was too small and the entrance is too curveous for the tow truck to get in, so I will have to order a KG smartkey first thing tomorrow and hopefully I will have it in two days and meanwhile, my unlocked GL is seating at the restaurant's parking lot and I am really praying nothing bad will happen to my GL.
I am not sure that I believe that the car really cannot be moved.... You could get some wheel dollies or go-jaks and move it to where it can be towed. The valet company or the restaurant should foot the bill for this. Its the same kind of scenario as the valet breaking the key off in the ignition.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Danno4x4; 05-16-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
How does the locking system in the GL work? On some of the other models, if you press the door lock button on the inside, all doors except the driver door will lock. After that, close the door, and lock the driver side door with the key.

Is this possible with the GL? Of course, alarm won't be activated.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
You can lock the car with the metal blade which doubles as a keyring loop. Perhaps looking in the owners manual would be a good idea.

You can also order an EMERGENCY key which is very thin and fits into a wallet. It does not open the doors. For that you will use the metal blade.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I have not seen anything on the door where I could use the metal key to lock/unlock the door. All I see are the black plastic sqaures that can be pressed to lock/unlock.

But there has to be a way. To the manual..............
Old 05-16-2007, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by benzmodz
You can lock the car with the metal blade which doubles as a keyring loop. Perhaps looking in the owners manual would be a good idea.

You can also order an EMERGENCY key which is very thin and fits into a wallet. It does not open the doors. For that you will use the metal blade.
I don't think the "emergency key" is made anymore. It used to be the valet key. I had one for my '98 wagon but the W210 did not have one. There is also none for the S550, but you can lock the drivers door with the metal key.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by AsianML
On some of the other models, if you press the door lock button on the inside, all doors except the driver door will lock. After that, close the door, and lock the driver side door with the key.

Is this possible with the GL?
This was not possible with the GL, the mercedes roadside assistance from CalStar in Glendale could not lock it using the method above. Also, tele aid wasn't remotely lock GL even though they could remotely unlock it for you.

Well, today the restaurant owner called me at 12:30 pm and gave me an ultimatum to tow it out by 1:30 pm or else he will have it impounded. I tried to plead with him to give me another day but he was firm about impounding the car. To make the long story short, this was what I spent today just to have the GL towed (which is not covered by the MB 24 hour roadside assistance) from the restaurant to the House of Imports which is about 30 miles in distance:
$285 per key times 2 = $570
Towing fee, 1st tow truck called by the restaurant owner = $400
Towing fee, 2nd tow truck I called via MB 24 hour roadside assistance = $125

Tomorrow, How of Imports service department will reprogram the new KG smartkey = $120 = 1 hour of labor.

Talk about $100 dinner turning into something extremely expensive.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
One of the restaurant employees damaged your key so you could not drive the car, then the manager threatened to have it impounded if you did not have it towed. Sounds like they need some lessons in customer service.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
One of the restaurant employees damaged your key so you could not drive the car, then the manager threatened to have it impounded if you did not have it towed. Sounds like they need some lessons in customer service.
+1. I'd be contacting the owner of the restaurant & asking for reimbursement for the cost of the key and to pay for the tow truck that the restaurant called.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 AM

You can lock the GL by getting in one of the back doors and reaching forward to the lock buttons on one of the doors. Then get of the car and you should be good to go. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
+1. I'd be contacting the owner of the restaurant & asking for reimbursement for the cost of the key and to pay for the tow truck that the restaurant called.
+1
Old 05-17-2007, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by AsianML
+1
+1 and share the name of the restaurant so we won't go there
Old 05-18-2007, 02:49 PM

What about the procedure described here:
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...chliessen.html

?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I stand corrected.....

Originally Posted by oknish
I have not seen anything on the door where I could use the metal key to lock/unlock the door. All I see are the black plastic sqaures that can be pressed to lock/unlock.
I should look more carefully before opening my mouth. There is a manual lock on the driver side door. I haven't tried it with the metal key but it should work.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I'd be contacting the owner of the restaurant & asking for reimbursement for the cost of the key and to pay for the tow truck that the restaurant called.
The owner was the one who contacted me and threatened to impound the car. Anyway, I finally got my car and two sets of key so I should be fine from now on. I checked the vehicle and found no issue so far The valet company agreed to pay for one of the keys they damaged plus half of the towing cost. The owner was an a$$hole the first time I talked to him over the phone so there is no need for me to call him to get reimbursed. The only way I could probably get all my money is by going through small claims but it's too much headache.

Here's the restaurant info: Alcove Cafe and Bakery 1929 Hillhurst Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90027 They seem to have great stuff to eat but make sure your car doesn't get stuck in their parking lot because they will tow it out.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by petery
The owner was the one who contacted me and threatened to impound the car. Anyway, I finally got my car and two sets of key so I should be fine from now on. I checked the vehicle and found no issue so far The valet company agreed to pay for one of the keys they damaged plus half of the towing cost. The owner was an a$$hole the first time I talked to him over the phone so there is no need for me to call him to get reimbursed. The only way I could probably get all my money is by going through small claims but it's too much headache.

Here's the restaurant info: Alcove Cafe and Bakery 1929 Hillhurst Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90027 They seem to have great stuff to eat but make sure your car doesn't get stuck in their parking lot because they will tow it out.

Chances are I will never get there.....BUT....they are now on my list! What a way to treat a customer.......
Old 06-25-2007, 06:01 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Feel for your pain.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I don't think the "emergency key" is made anymore. It used to be the valet key. I had one for my '98 wagon but the W210 did not have one. There is also none for the S550, but you can lock the drivers door with the metal key.
That key is also known as a Track 3 key. It is orderable. I ordered one not long ago.