S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Power for radar detector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
20 GLE450, 16 C450, 15 GLK350
Power for radar detector

Any suggestions about where to tap in for power for a radar detector (in my S550, of course)? I am going to locate my V1 just to the left of the review view mirror post (on the black screened cutout). I was thinking about somewhere in the drivers footwell or gloverbox area, but diudn't see a fuse panel or anything obvious. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63 AMG / 2008 ML 350
Tommy - Sorry I don't know the answer for the power tap-in.

I have a Caliber remote bluetooth detector/laser diffuser installed, but it is not as effective as my V1, so I'm using them both... and I'm also looking for a more permanent V1 solution.

I'm going to speak with my AV installer, and if I find any info, I'll be happy to pass it along.

I noticed that you are positioning your V1 on the latticed screend cutout near the rear view mirror. I have positioned mine on the lower center, because I was afraid he black screen would interfere. If I may ask, what has been your experience with V1 reception / sensititvity throught the black mesh?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:39 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by tommyr
Any suggestions about where to tap in for power for a radar detector (in my S550, of course)? I am going to locate my V1 just to the left of the review view mirror post (on the black screened cutout). I was thinking about somewhere in the drivers footwell or gloverbox area, but diudn't see a fuse panel or anything obvious. Thanks.
the new S class uses CAN for to send the turn-on messages to most devices in the vehicle. because of this there are only two spots to get a real ignition for your radar detector.. the first is at the cigarette plug where you will have to pull up the entire center console to get at the wires. the second is in the under-hood electronics center: it is held in place with 4 T20 screws. undo the screws and there is a row of fuses and some open tap points. one is colored brown which is the acc circuit.