S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Comand/Nav Update on '07 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by delphipro
Does the current 08 not have the parallel park feature?
No now it doesn't - It was there originally. Still better off with the Nav upgrade - IMHO
Old 10-20-2007, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Chucky300
Hey Everyone,

Just back from the dealer - and my command is perfect now.

I can watch videos in PARK only.

I have the traffic update which shows "red cars" on the roads where there is a backup.

Birdseye works well too!

Anyone know how to bypass the video so you can enable it even while in motion?
Yes it is possible, Are you going to do it yourself or have someone do it for you? do you know how to solder? I will call up to the shop later to see if they have anymore left in stock.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Originally Posted by jbondox
Yes it is possible, Are you going to do it yourself or have someone do it for you? do you know how to solder? I will call up to the shop later to see if they have anymore left in stock.
Hi!
Thanks for your help. I won't be doing this myself, i'd much prefer a proffesional do this.

However, a friend told me that I have to "chip it" - and it will mess around with the computer.

Is this true?

I won't do anything that would jeapordize my warranty, or mess around with the inner workings of the computer / command.

Thanks for your help!!!
Let me know your thoughts.

Bradley
Old 10-20-2007, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
no "chip", basically you are filtering out the speed sense and telling it the parking brake is on, via the 2 can wires.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
Originally Posted by Eddie Knopp
No now it doesn't - It was there originally. Still better off with the Nav upgrade - IMHO
I guess my question is if a new 08 driven off the lot would have the feature? If so then hopefully there will be a further revision. I didn't find the rear view monitor listed as a seperate option on the mbusa.com site. However, the picture on package III does show the rearview monitor in regular mode and with the parallel park feature available.

I agree that the new version is better off than the old, I have waited 4 years to have the option to go through the presets using the steering wheel, but there really is no excuse to not have all the features that we paid for, after all this was a for cost upgrade done through the dealership.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
no "chip", basically you are filtering out the speed sense and telling it the parking brake is on, via the 2 can wires.
I'm not sure if Chucky was after this but I remember early posts claiming that the first US W221 cars did not have the video decoder chip installed at the COMAND HW.

Now you mention the speed signal being blocked (to allow video on motion), I did not check but is the speed signal input for the DVD player common for the W221 navi processor too? A missing speed signal should not be good for the Navi, can you clarify this?

The Euro cars are programmed to allow video at low speed and the parking brake does not need to be on. I was wondering if the system was actually only reading the parking brake CAN signal when that condition is active, then no fooling of the speed signal would be required. Of course some devices might get confused about a speed reading while parking brake is on, perhaps COMAND would not be interested.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:39 PM

'07 MB Lorinser S550, '06 MB R350, '04 Porsche 911 cabriolet
I have upgraded my comand. Thanks for the help of konigstiger. It really helps a lot if you have the MB bulletin at hand, when you go to the dealership service dept.
A local dealership upgraded my system, It now plays DVD video on park with parking brake activated. There is also a significant improvement on the navigation graphics and system. They hand me a DVD software that has this label: MY 2007 221/216 Navigation Database
DVD North America Version 11.011
DVD Part Number : A221 827 30 59 v3.0
MB HB NTG3 v3.0 DVD 2006.1
Questions: Is this the same software with part number mentioned on this forum: DVD BQ 646 0225? If not, Am I getting the same features?
If I upgrade to DVD BQ 646 0231, will I get more features? Do I need to re-reflash the system? I appreciate your help. konigstiger? ... Thanks!
Old 10-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by openwyder
Is this the same software with part number mentioned on this forum: DVD BQ 646 0225?
BQ6460225 v3.0 introduced the new navigation features v4.0 and v5.0 improve on POI and map coverage.

To date the latest version is BQ6460231 Harman Becker NTG3 v5.0.

If you go to Navteq navigation.com you will see NTG3 v.4.0 @ $199 however, v5.0 is the current version installed at pre-delivery inspections (PDI) as of OCT07 to insure all vehicles are released with the latest Navigation Database.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
.......The Euro cars are programmed to allow video at low speed ........

To me , I would be in more harms way watching the video at low speed as opposed to high speed. In reality, when you are driving slow while in traffic and driving through busy neighborhoods you are more likely to have an accident glancing at a video....... NOT while cruising at highways speeds outside of the major city limits. Same thing goes for cell phone use. When I'm puttering around my busy, hectic town, I don't answer the phone. Too many distractions. Too many people not paying attention to the road as they are affixed at my hot-looking Benz. I make every attempt to only talk on it if I'm cruising at 75 mph down the interstate while using my distronic
Old 10-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Banned

2014 S550
Thought I would comment on my Nav update.

It all works perfectly now - the traffic updates are amazingly accurate (although I wish they were wrong - because they showed I had traffic on the Belt Parkway from 11N (my exit) to the Verezanno bridge (Exit 5) ... then on the West Side Highway from the tunnel till 54th street (basically the entire way of my drive yesterday). A 45 minute at most trip took me 2 1/2 hours...... MOTHER F************!

wow - i just went way off topic there
Back on topic....

The birdseye view is great! I find the little symbols on the Nav to be great - not distracting as I once thought they would be.

I agree with the above poster re: the video. However, I would like mine to work anytime - not just in park. If not for me, but for passengers.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by trumpet1
To me , I would be in more harms way watching the video at low speed as opposed to high speed. In reality, when you are driving slow while in traffic and driving through busy neighborhoods you are more likely to have an accident glancing at a video....... NOT while cruising at highways speeds outside of the major city limits. Same thing goes for cell phone use. When I'm puttering around my busy, hectic town, I don't answer the phone. Too many distractions. Too many people not paying attention to the road as they are affixed at my hot-looking Benz. I make every attempt to only talk on it if I'm cruising at 75 mph down the interstate while using my distronic
Well, low speed means 5 km/h or perhaps 10, you would never drive that slow. This is just that the video would not switch off if you move the car a bit at a parking lot or something similar. It would not stay on at city traffic, except at traffic lights.

But I'm not saying the driver should be able to follow any type of video while driving.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by Chucky300
........ However, I would like mine to work anytime - not just in park. If not for me, but for passengers.......

That is the only reason I want mine to work. My kids and wife would love it.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Banned

2014 S550
I prefer listening to music when I drive - or i spend the time catching up with friends - or dealing with my itinerary to get my line promoted.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I'm not sure if Chucky was after this but I remember early posts claiming that the first US W221 cars did not have the video decoder chip installed at the COMAND HW.

Now you mention the speed signal being blocked (to allow video on motion), I did not check but is the speed signal input for the DVD player common for the W221 navi processor too? A missing speed signal should not be good for the Navi, can you clarify this?

The Euro cars are programmed to allow video at low speed and the parking brake does not need to be on. I was wondering if the system was actually only reading the parking brake CAN signal when that condition is active, then no fooling of the speed signal would be required. Of course some devices might get confused about a speed reading while parking brake is on, perhaps COMAND would not be interested.

it works, and so does the Nav

I had a whole big ol spill on it and screwed up posting and everything was lost so this is my new post ...
Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 S class
Thats why i got it... my wife turns the monitor towards her and watches movies with the kids while i drive. I had the in-motion installed from the same guys who did the update for me and it works really well. What i really liked was the Video Aux feature since we can put the rear DVD on the front screen or watch a seperate DVD up front.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:44 PM

2007 S550 & 2005 S500 (both FULLY loaded incl. AMG sport package)
DVD in motion

Hi Buddy, Would love to have the DVD in motion. Requested the dealer a million times but they have no clue whatsoever. I was wondering if one can get the item (if in stock) does it come with instructions like a DIY (do-it-yourself). If it is simple soldering, I am sure one can manage that but not some PCB kind of fine soldering. Would be great if you could give us a heads up on it. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM

DVD in Motion

Originally Posted by dmills
Thats why i got it... my wife turns the monitor towards her and watches movies with the kids while i drive. I had the in-motion installed from the same guys who did the update for me and it works really well. What i really liked was the Video Aux feature since we can put the rear DVD on the front screen or watch a seperate DVD up front.
It appears that you have a rear entertainment system. Are the rear DVDs in the head rest. Did you get the rear system installed after purchase or was it an option that you got when you purchased the car? In any case, I can see that you have an amazing option of either seeing the rear DVD or the front screen or watch a seperate DVD upfront. SUPER. I wish some one could advise me of getting a similar option for my S550 too. Would love it ESPECIALLY with the ability of in-motion viewing.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 S class
Originally Posted by sanjaysingh
It appears that you have a rear entertainment system. Are the rear DVDs in the head rest. Did you get the rear system installed after purchase or was it an option that you got when you purchased the car? In any case, I can see that you have an amazing option of either seeing the rear DVD or the front screen or watch a seperate DVD upfront. SUPER. I wish some one could advise me of getting a similar option for my S550 too. Would love it ESPECIALLY with the ability of in-motion viewing.
yes, I have the aftermarket visualogic headrest system but its the system where the monitor sits behind the normal headrest. Its like the factory system but actually looks nicer. I had the same problem that you did where my local dealer had no idea what to do about anything: I first tried to plug my kids playstation into the aux in plug thing in my glovebox (you know, the red, white, and yellow plugs) and only the video would work on aux but not the audio. So i took my S into the the dealer to get it looked at. After two days the dealer finally figured out that because i had the factory ipod kit that the audio would not work even though the audio plugs were in the glovebox. I was pissed but the dealer said that all they could do was remove the ipod kit. At the same time i wanted to get the headrest monitors done. One of the service techs used to work at another mercedes dealer and said that they had guys who could fix anything. I had to drive into the city to a place called midcity engineering and they were able to fix everything, even the ipod sound issue.

I did have to go two times because the had to build me a special ipod cable from scratch but when they installed that they also did the DVD motion unlocker. I didnt see them install it but it was really quick, like fifteen minutes. The guy said they didnt have to cut any wires which I was worried about because i had problems with my bmw and the dealer before where they had to fix a bunch of wires that the place that I had do it hacked up. They said that everything plugged into the factory connectors and that they could put it back to normal in 5 minutes.

I can play either rear DVD on the front screen, or I can play a DVD in the front changer on the front screen and a seperate DVD on each rear screen. I also have extra A/V jacks that I plug the kids Playstation into which can also play on either front or back screens. When I play a rear DVD I can send Audio to the car speakers and Video to the front screen or I can just send Audio to the speakers or I can plug in my ipod and play that on the speakers but have the rear DVD on the front screen. Its pretty versatile.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 PM

AWESOME...Thanks for the input Boss. JUST AMAZING...TRULY SUPER. I don't think there is a SINGLE dealer in the Bay Area at least is as bright as the guy who did it for you to make the system as versatile as the one you have got. I have heard about midcity engineering based out of Chicago who are supposed to be the gurus in luxury car electronics. I have been trying since July (when I took delivery of my car) to get the DVD in motion going but haven't had any luck whatsoever. I also have the Ipod wire sticking out in my glovebox so I guess they will first have to get rid of that but more importantly, finding a guy who can do this kind of awesome "integration work" in the Bay Area that you have is the FIRST UPHILL TASK. Nevertheless, THANK YOU SOO MUCH for updating us on the possibilities that exist in integrating video into the COMAND. I am hoping "jbondox" is able to throw some light on the unlocking of the DVD in-motion so that one can at least have that and in the meanwhile dream of the kind of system that you have for future - when probably midcity engineering decide to open an offshoot in the bay area. Out here to get a rear view camera integrated into my older 2005 S500 they charged me $1800 (I thought it was a rip off but thought it was convenient so went for it!!) but yet were UNABLE to get the video going in that one too. So I literally gave up and now hope that through these forums I get a better perspective of what is possible to prevent getting rooked again....THEREFORE A BIG THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 PM

I looked into my glove box but apparently I do not have an "aux in" plug in my car (that you mentioned you tried to plug the playstation in but only video worked and not the audio). I guess it could be in 08 S class Models (my car was manf in April 2007 and is a 2007 model). I have asked Midcity whether they have an offshoot here in the bay area. Let you know if I get a heads up on it.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 S class
I looked into my glove box but apparently I do not have an "aux in" plug in my car (that you mentioned you tried to plug the playstation in but only video worked and not the audio). I guess it could be in 08 S class Models (my car was manf in April 2007 and is a 2007 model). I have asked Midcity whether they have an offshoot here in the bay area. Let you know if I get a heads up on it.

My co-worker (after seeing mine) had his 07 S550 updated to support DVD and Aux in. His glovebox does not have the A/V jacks (or even the normal Aux jack like my wifes car) so they have to order the connectors and install them. His car also had the issue where the parking brake had to be on to watch video but he got the in motion bypass and it works on his car just like mine.

.. Except that he apparently talked them into giving him the ability to turn on the reverse camera too: He was showing it off to me and I was like "OK I had it first" and then he hit another button on the steering wheel and his reverse camera came on... I guess he has the first interface box that does the DVD, Aux and reverse camera.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:53 PM

S550
clear lights

Originally Posted by openwyder
Hi konigstiger, Would you be generous as to email me the bulletin copies. I'd like to have my s550 updated. But you know how it is too difficult to talk to dealership about no cost services. It is a lot better if I am 'equipped" with this technical bulletin printout. I appreciate your help.
email:angeles.dentalcorp@sbcglobal.net
not to be of topic.. (openwyder)but where did you get your clear side marker lights?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by dmills
My co-worker (after seeing mine) had his 07 S550 updated to support DVD and Aux in. His glovebox does not have the A/V jacks (or even the normal Aux jack like my wifes car) so they have to order the connectors and install them. His car also had the issue where the parking brake had to be on to watch video but he got the in motion bypass and it works on his car just like mine.

.. Except that he apparently talked them into giving him the ability to turn on the reverse camera too: He was showing it off to me and I was like "OK I had it first" and then he hit another button on the steering wheel and his reverse camera came on... I guess he has the first interface box that does the DVD, Aux and reverse camera.
WOW...Seems fantastic. I guess the technicians in your area are really clued on what to do...as I said earlier I have not come across a SINGLE person here in the Bay Area who have such features/possibilities existing in their cars. I did get a response from "Midcity engineering" and they have told me that they are in the process of finalizing a module that will enable the DVD-in motion viewing to begin with. Before I buy the same I shall check whether the rear view camera viewing is also possible with the integration of their module. I would not like my rear view camera to be defunked when the DVD-in-motion is activated. A switch on the steering (like your friend has) or a software over-ride where the rear view camera takes precedence would be ideal. Shall let you know when I hear from midcity or rather when I have their module successful in my car. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE Chief.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 S class
WOW...Seems fantastic. I guess the technicians in your area are really clued on what to do...as I said earlier I have not come across a SINGLE person here in the Bay Area who have such features/possibilities existing in their cars. I did get a response from "Midcity engineering" and they have told me that they are in the process of finalizing a module that will enable the DVD-in motion viewing to begin with. Before I buy the same I shall check whether the rear view camera viewing is also possible with the integration of their module. I would not like my rear view camera to be defunked when the DVD-in-motion is activated. A switch on the steering (like your friend has) or a software over-ride where the rear view camera takes precedence would be ideal. Shall let you know when I hear from midcity or rather when I have their module successful in my car. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE Chief.

Yes, they are really very knowledgable with the vehicle electronics. The funny thing is that their offices are really non-descript and low key and everything is word-of-mouth. I found them completely by accident when I had my S in for service to look at the ipod cable thing and tried to bribe the tech to make my DVD work in motion (thinking it was an easy programming thing). He gave me their number and told me that they did all the electronics work. Whenever I go there its like a Benz parking lot; I guess that all they do is specialize in Mercedes vehicles. They actually have a hardware lab where they do all their R&D in house and I got to snoop around when I was there the other day; There's like computers and those scope things and electronics everywhere. It's pretty amazing the amount of equipment and work that goes into what they do.

They did the development of the parking brake fix on my friend's car. He was the test vehicle for the new modulke for the 2007 cars and also the rear camera.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:30 PM

Amazing guys....THANKS TO YOU ONE GOT TO KNOW ABOUT THEM.... I am still waiting for a mail from them and acquiring the "parking" bypass sensor for DVD-in-motion viewing... Some times I think with the several thousand S 550cars here in California, I must tie up as a sub supplier and market "midcity" guys....with some kind of branch office as they are sure to have a really sizeable number of guys here too that would love to have the features that they provide...THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUTS BUDDY.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comand/Nav Update on '07 S550