S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Comand/Nav Update on '07 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 MB Lorinser S550, '06 MB R350, '04 Porsche 911 cabriolet
Originally Posted by nulimit
not to be of topic.. (openwyder)but where did you get your clear side marker lights?
The picture signature was in black and white, my side markers are stock, but of course I'd love the clear ones if somebody makes it.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:43 PM

'07 S550w/AMG AndGryw/prem.grey leath4matic Night Vision Distronic ,08 ML 350, YUKON XL,'71 ChevPU
Altimiter readings on new upgrade navigation

Originally Posted by konigstiger
BQ6460225 v3.0 introduced the new navigation features v4.0 and v5.0 improve on POI and map coverage.

To date the latest version is BQ6460231 Harman Becker NTG3 v5.0.

If you go to Navteq navigation.com you will see NTG3 v.4.0 @ $199 however, v5.0 is the current version installed at pre-delivery inspections (PDI) as of OCT07 to insure all vehicles are released with the latest Navigation Database.
Konigstiger are you aware of any deletion of the altimeter readings on the new upgrade with the V.5 version? I had the upgrade done and think it is much improved but I am not getting altimeter readings that I previously received with the older version. Is this something that has been eliminated or is there something I need to do to reestablish the reading on the screen. I appreciate any comments you might have on this subject. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by valiumvilla
Konigstiger are you aware of any deletion of the altimeter readings on the new upgrade with the V.5 version? I had the upgrade done and think it is much improved but I am not getting altimeter readings that I previously received with the older version. Is this something that has been eliminated or is there something I need to do to reestablish the reading on the screen. I appreciate any comments you might have on this subject. Thanks.
Select Navi - Navi - Map Display, the map display list appears - select Geo-coordinates
Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 AM

02 S500
I contacted my advisor in Long Island (MB Smithtown) and was advised that MBUSA has not autorized any of these upgrades as of yet.

Sounds kid of fishy as obviously some of you have had it done. What is your take on this?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM

'07 S550w/AMG AndGryw/prem.grey leath4matic Night Vision Distronic ,08 ML 350, YUKON XL,'71 ChevPU
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Select Navi - Navi - Map Display, the map display list appears - select Geo-coordinates
Thanks. Very easy and something I overlooked when setting up.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM

MB '07 S550
Has anyone in the Bay Area updated their 2007 S550 nav system successfully to take advantage of the new features? I went to my dealer today with V5 disc in hand and they looked at me blankly. I had the service bulletin number mentioned in this thread but he didn't even look it up. He printed off a service campaign bulletin from Dec 2006, but said that my VIN wasn't covered by that. I took delivery of my '07 S550 in July 2006. I have to imagine that my Telematics system is out-of-date to take advantage of the new features in V5. I also called MBUSA and they were just as clueless, telling me that there were no outstanding service bulletins for my car. Lastly, my service advisor said he had updated someones nav system last week and the real-time traffic feeds didn't work in the Bay Area, which seems to contradict what Navteq says on their website. Anyway, if anyone in SF has done this successfully, I'd like to know which dealer they went to.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:14 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by mike_sf
Has anyone in the Bay Area updated their 2007 S550 nav system successfully to take advantage of the new features? I went to my dealer today with V5 disc in hand and they looked at me blankly. I had the service bulletin number mentioned in this thread but he didn't even look it up. He printed off a service campaign bulletin from Dec 2006, but said that my VIN wasn't covered by that. I took delivery of my '07 S550 in July 2006. I have to imagine that my Telematics system is out-of-date to take advantage of the new features in V5. I also called MBUSA and they were just as clueless, telling me that there were no outstanding service bulletins for my car. Lastly, my service advisor said he had updated someones nav system last week and the real-time traffic feeds didn't work in the Bay Area, which seems to contradict what Navteq says on their website. Anyway, if anyone in SF has done this successfully, I'd like to know which dealer they went to.

There are really two two types of updates: The updated navteq DVD and the telematics flash update.

The navteq update is done by just popping the new DVD in slot 1 of the changer and waiting 40 minutes for the update to complete.

The telematics flash involves taking the car to the dealer where they update the entire telematics system using their DAS machine plus a special telematics flash CD called SD-Flash (the part number is (221-8274159). This procedure also takes about 40 minutes and updates the headunit, sirius, bluetooth puck, navigation subsystem, and even A/C controls.

The way to do this has been to tell service that you tried to load your new navteq DVD and it would not work and said that you needed your telematics firmware updated. You can just as easily tell them that you need the flash updated using the "SD-Flash" CD. The CD is hard to find and each dealer ususally gets *one* so there may only be one service guy at the dealer who is trusted with it.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Hi mike_sf,

I have not updated my nav as I have a MY2008 but the real time traffic feeds certainly seem to work in my part of the Bay Area. (East bay)

Chris
Old 12-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by nopepper
I contacted my advisor in Long Island (MB Smithtown) and was advised that MBUSA has not autorized any of these upgrades as of yet.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
You may indeed be correct but I'm not so sure that is B.S.

Dealerships doing the updates and MBUSA authorizing them may be two different things. I don't know
Old 12-07-2007, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by trumpet1
You may indeed be correct but I'm not so sure that is B.S.

Dealerships doing the updates and MBUSA authorizing them may be two different things. I don't know
But who gives them the workshop instructions then? Why would dealers get the documents if they were not supposed to follow them? This isn't a recall issue or a question of MB paying for the updates but making them available for car owners (mostly?).
Old 12-08-2007, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
It can be done...it's being done...it has been done.

Folks: Pay particular attention to what Konigstiger and KJ9 have posted in this thread if you want to upgrade your MY07 S/CL and your dealer is clueless & not helpful. The first part is fairly easy. Acquire the latest navigation Navteq DVD BQ6460231 Harman Becker NTG3 (that would be v5.0 as of this date) and tell the MB adviser or shop foreman about bulletin #MBUSA DTB P-B-82.85/512d. But the second part is more complicated and fewer dealers know anything about it, yet it is the critical part of this 'puzzle'. It has been best described, in my opinion, by KJ9 earlier when he wrote "There are really two types of updates: The updated Navteq DVD and the telematics flash update. The Navteq update is done by just popping the new DVD in slot 1 of the changer and waiting 40 minutes for the update to complete. The telematics flash involves taking the car to the dealer where they update the entire telematics system using their DAS machine plus a special telematics flash CD called SD-Flash (the part number is (221-8274159). This procedure also takes about 40 minutes and updates the headunit, Sirius, Bluetooth puck, navigation subsystem, and even A/C controls. The way to do this has been to tell service that you tried to load your new Navteq DVD and it would not work and said that you needed your telematics firmware updated. You can just as easily tell them that you need the flash updated using the 'SD-Flash' CD. The CD is hard to find and each dealer usually gets one so there may only be one service guy at the dealer who is trusted with it." So, there it is. MB service advisers & technicians that don't know anything about this update procedure will tell you 'it can't be done', or 'has not yet been authorized', or invent any other excuse, just for you to go away and not bother them anymore since they are pretty busy people. Learn all you can from threads like this (what a great service & help this Forum has been to MB owners, don't you think?) and then help educate your MB dealer staff by patiently walking him/her through the whole process for updating your '07 S or CL Telematic's...one-step-at-a-time. Good luck. Z356

Last edited by Z356; 12-08-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Exactly Right!

Originally Posted by Z356
Folks: Pay particular attention to what Konigstiger and KJ9 have posted in this thread if you want to upgrade your MY07 S/CL and your dealer is clueless & not helpful. The first part is fairly easy. Acquire the latest navigation Navteq DVD BQ6460231 Harman Becker NTG3 (that would be v5.0 as of this date) and tell the MB adviser or shop foreman about bulletin #MBUSA DTB P-B-82.85/512d. But the second part is more complicated and fewer dealers know anything about it, yet it is the critical part of this 'puzzle'. It has been best described, in my opinion, by KJ9 earlier when he wrote "There are really two types of updates: The updated Navteq DVD and the telematics flash update. The Navteq update is done by just popping the new DVD in slot 1 of the changer and waiting 40 minutes for the update to complete. The telematics flash involves taking the car to the dealer where they update the entire telematics system using their DAS machine plus a special telematics flash CD called SD-Flash (the part number is (221-8274159). This procedure also takes about 40 minutes and updates the headunit, Sirius, Bluetooth puck, navigation subsystem, and even A/C controls. The way to do this has been to tell service that you tried to load your new Navteq DVD and it would not work and said that you needed your telematics firmware updated. You can just as easily tell them that you need the flash updated using the 'SD-Flash' CD. The CD is hard to find and each dealer usually gets one so there may only be one service guy at the dealer who is trusted with it." So, there it is. MB service advisers & technicians that don't know anything about this update procedure will tell you 'it can't be done', or 'has not yet been authorized', or invent any other excuse, just for you to go away and not bother them anymore since they are pretty busy people. Learn all you can from threads like this (what a great service & help this Forum has been to MB owners, don't you think?) and then help educate your MB dealer staff by patiently walking him/her through the whole process for updating your '07 S or CL Telematic's...one-step-at-a-time. Good luck. Z356
This is exactly what happened to me and my attempt to update my '07 S550.
They said "we udated it" and it wasn't updated, then the next visit "you are not qualified for the update" and after some "discussion" they found they needed to order an update CD, then the next visit, "we didn't get the correct update CD in and when we do update your car it will not have video (service manager)" and the last visit (a total of 7 hours already in the dealership) it was updated and had video. Many excuses followed. This was accomplished with lip biting patience and printed out information from this site concerning the exact DTB info (thanks to Konigster) needed and still it was like pulling teeth. Very frustrating and disappointing when it comes to attention to customers on the service side compared to the buying side. It has been my experience for 25 plus years owning Mercedes. The new updated navigation is much better and the RDS is very helpful.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
One minor peeve I have with the video playback is the fact that when you shut the car down and later return, the playback always reverts back to the beginning of the track/chapter (movie or music DVD) that you were listening to or watching before turning the car off.

It won't resume from where it was at time of ignition shut off.
No big deal, just an observation.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z356
I had my s550 updated today. I can click on Traffic and it will tell me where delays are but I have no traffic symbols such as Red, Yellow,Gray. Can anyone please help me understand how to get my nav system to show where traffic is backing up.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:10 AM

Sonderklasse
Has anyone purchased the Navteq DVD, done the update and no longer needs the DVD? If so, I could buy it off you. Please PM me.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WingFlex
Has anyone purchased the Navteq DVD, done the update and no longer needs the DVD? If so, I could buy it off you. Please PM me.
I've got version 5. I'll PM you also.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
The forum sure is quiet today.

HELP! As far as I know, version 5 is the latest DVD update. Is that correct? I had mine updated about 2 months ago or so and that was the version I purchased. Is that still the latest update?????????
Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto

HELP! As far as I know, version 5 is the latest DVD update. Is that correct? I had mine updated about 2 months ago or so and that was the version I purchased. Is that still the latest update?????????
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....3&postcount=33
Old 12-12-2007, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:05 PM

2007 S550 & 2005 S500 (both FULLY loaded incl. AMG sport package)
Nav update

I will be happy to buy it off you as well once you have updated your system. My cars nav update was last done in Sep 07 so I assume the version 5 must be even later.

Also out of topic..... Wondering whether any one figured out why the nav audio will not take precedence over the regular audio? I asked the dealer as in my S500 during navigation instructions the Sat, audio, etc volume automatically goes down.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sanjaysingh
Also out of topic..... Wondering whether any one figured out why the nav audio will not take precedence over the regular audio? I asked the dealer as in my S500 during navigation instructions the Sat, audio, etc volume automatically goes down.

Thanks
The early cars muted audio during a navi announcement. I've understood the navi/comand update loosing this feature. I was about to check but forgot, if there is a DAS setting for the difference between navi and other audio, perhaps this has been lost during the comand update.

I believe the older implementation too did not completely mute the radio, it just lowered the level sufficiently below that of the radio. If the navi was not loud, the radio in practice muted completely. I just tend to remember a setting for this that can be accessed via SDS.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 PM

2007 S550 & 2005 S500 (both FULLY loaded incl. AMG sport package)
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The early cars muted audio during a navi announcement. I've understood the navi/comand update loosing this feature. I was about to check but forgot, if there is a DAS setting for the difference between navi and other audio, perhaps this has been lost during the comand update.

I believe the older implementation too did not completely mute the radio, it just lowered the level sufficiently below that of the radio. If the navi was not loud, the radio in practice muted completely. I just tend to remember a setting for this that can be accessed via SDS.
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT that in the earlier S class it was not completely gone but sufficiently below that of the radio/sat channels, and that did help a great deal especially if one forgot to turn up the nav volume suitably. If you do get some input on this I am SURE that all the new S class owners will benefit tremendously. THANKS Buddy.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had a look at DAS options for different audio and Comand settings but I was not able to find anything that could be used to control the audio volume difference relative to the Navi announcements volume.

However, I figured out where I originally got the impression of this setting existing, this was from the MB documentation for Comand. The document reads as attached, this certainly isn't as it worked initially but I started wondering if a new sub-menu could have been created to the Comand settings menu. Looks like the original intention had been that the driver could set the difference for the Navi announcement over other audio sources.

Reading the supplement user guide, it looks like there would not be any new menu-features like this. Perhaps owners who have had the SW updated, or those who have a later car, could confirm the settings menu content.

I'm guessing they would have a control parameter but it either is only accessible via DAS (could still be there even if I did not find it) or it is hardcoded into the Comand or N93/1 control unit, perhaps the parameter got accidentally set to 0 dB within the new SW.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

07 S550 & 08 335i
this is the second time im going to the dealer for this....

I have a 2007 (March Build) S550, and am trying to get the Command update. Mercedes Benz of Escondido (San Diego, CA) is telling me that its an actual hardware piece that is different on the MY Cars, i know from what i have read that that isnt true. They have no update!!!

Any suggestions?

To my understanding, i must buy new updated navtec DVD, and then have them flash update the computer, correct?

Please help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comand/Nav Update on '07 S550