S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Does it bother you that the Command software update removed parking feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Does it bother you that the Command software update removed parking feature

Does it bother anyone that the latest software update to the COMMAND system removed the parallel paking feature from the rear view monitor.

We paid extra for that feature and I didn't give MB permission to remove it.

I do like all of the other new features but I think that MB should at least have provided a software update change list and then I could have decided what I wanted to do. It is MY car not theirs.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
is this because they added the park assist to distronic for 08?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by LETO
is this because they added the park assist to distronic for 08?
Could be but this would not justify removing a feature from MY 2007 cars.

But what did they actually remove? I have not updated my COMAND, not even sure if the equivalent update is available in Europe, or if the same update applies to Europe too.

The German price list indicates that the Rear View camera is only available with Parktronic or Distronic plus, this should be fine. Then the new option code 230, Parkführung, only comes with Distronic Plus, but not withe Rear View camera: "nicht in Verbindung mit Rückfahrkamera mit Hilfslinien, Code 218".

Now my understanding would be that the Park Assist (is that the translation for code 230?) would not be available even for MY2008 if the car had the rear view camera.

On the other hand, someone mentioned that the new Rear View camera implementation is simpler at the camera control unit, it would not draw the parking aid lines any more, instead that would be done by the Comand unit, if I recall right. Could this confuse the update, could ask for some specific configuration?

I would be fine if they activated the parallel parking help on the main instrument cluster and removed the corresponding feature from the rear view camera window, at Comand. But the rear view camera definitely should still draw the dynamic lines after any update.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Having a new 2008 S600 (which I thought had all options) I never got to play with this in the first place. All I see on my rear view camera are two rigid blue guidelines. No dynamic guide lines and no option to select at the bottom of the command window.

The manual is full of instructions on using the dynamic lines however.

Why did they remove this after only one model year?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM

I think it's because too many people couldn't figure out what those lines are for, and in order to reduce confusion, they removed it.

I believe they also removed the independently controllable headlight washers. The button used to be next to the main light control knob, now the feature it integrated so that it comes on with the windshield washers. This is gotta be the stupidest thing because VW did that and people absolutely hated it (VW now no longer offer headlight washers on some of their cars). I sometimes just want to clean my windshield without having the headlight washers come on and get the whole car wet.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:00 PM

2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Ah thanks... one would have thought that for software features at least, MB USA could have given us the option to turn the dynamic lines on/off - even if the default is "off" for the terminally graphically challenged!

(Would be nice if this could be patched - being in graphics software development I like my visual cues!)

Chris
Old 10-22-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Having a new 2008 S600 (which I thought had all options) I never got to play with this in the first place. All I see on my rear view camera are two rigid blue guidelines. No dynamic guide lines and no option to select at the bottom of the command window.

The manual is full of instructions on using the dynamic lines however.

Why did they remove this after only one model year?
have you had a chance to use park assist yet? Does it work as well as it states

It would make more sense if MB were to disable the dynamic feature on the camera is the car was equipped with distronic, hence switching the parking system from parktronic to park assist.

Why they would delete this feature while command is updated is beyond my understanding!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by kevine310
I think it's because too many people couldn't figure out what those lines are for, and in order to reduce confusion, they removed it.

I believe they also removed the independently controllable headlight washers. The button used to be next to the main light control knob, now the feature it integrated so that it comes on with the windshield washers. This is gotta be the stupidest thing because VW did that and people absolutely hated it (VW now no longer offer headlight washers on some of their cars). I sometimes just want to clean my windshield without having the headlight washers come on and get the whole car wet.
headlight washers IMHO are good for nothing but leaving a soapy mess on the front of your car
Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
Park Assist

The 2008 model has Park Assist if you ordered the Distronic-Plus package. Park Assist displays a picture of your car and the space in place of your speedometer. You back up until you see your car on the screen hit the start line, the system beeps, you stop then turn the wheel until the lines turn green, back up until the system beeps again, you stop and turn the wheel the other way until the lines turn green again and finish parking. Same as the Lexus only you control the motion of the car. Really neat stuff!

If you have a P in a square box in the middle of your speedometer, you will notice that it turns blue as you drive slowly passed a parking space. If you stop the car when the box turns blue and then press the "OK" button on the steering wheel, it activates the feature.

It's not in the 2008 US manual but you can get the directions from the Mercedes site in the UK.

Last edited by NJS430; 10-22-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Answering the original question I'd have to say I do not miss the parallel parking feature. I didn't even know about this until just now. Never used it and probably never would. However, I would have been disappointed if they had removed the parking lot guide which remains. I use it alot. I noticed it has a few different lines on it but I just use the blue , yellow and red lines as I've always used. I don't really know what the orange line is (maybe just a guide as to when to stop when backing up to a car). I know the red line lets you know you are within 6 inches or so of an object.
As far as the parallel parking guide, I would have been a real klutz using that and it probably would take me 5 minutes to park the car that way. I'm just too old to trust myself parking a $150K car based on a diagram. I use the mirrors and the rear camera and I turn my head and look back. I really think these technological methods of parking are going to fall away by the roadside (no pun intended).

I also didn't realize the independent headlight washers were done away with. After reading the advantage of having that switch located separately from the windshield washer switch, I'm glad I have a 2007. I almost never use it, but like someone else said, I hate it when I go to wash my windshield and I get my hood loaded up with soap that I didn't want.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
are you talking about the lines? People were wanting MB to replace rims that they curbed reversing... following the lines with no regard to what the front tires were about to hit. Blame stupid people that don't know how to back up... or take responsibility for not knowing how to drive.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 PM

NJS430 - Now I am confused... The 2008 S600 should have all options for the price.. I definitely have Distronics-Plus (which I find really useful) I have the rear view camera with rigid blue parking guidelines... However I checked the blue price sticker and though Distronic Plus is listed Park Plus is not... Perhaps you are are referring to the European or 2007 models as you mention the UK Mercedes site...

In the manual, the Command system shows an option at the botton of the rear camera window.. but that is not visible/apparent on my car...

Looks like MB USA has deleted this feature for MY 2008? Now whether I would have really used it is a seperate question - but I dislike being denied the opportunity to try it out because MBUSA is removing features because the less technically adventurous get confused...

Chris
Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Looks like MB disabled it on the CL 63 as well, but no surprise there. I tried the dashboard pictogram the other day and it works well if you follow the instructions, but I too feel the option to use it on the rear view monitor should have been left to the owner. There must be a way to flash the system and turn it on. There's a lot probably in there that none of us knows. For instance, the Hold feature on the brakes. It only works when you use the distronic plus, but I believe across the pond, they can use it as a separate feature. Those damn bean counters are at it again, to paraphrase our own Nevada Jack.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
NJS430 - Now I am confused... The 2008 S600 should have all options for the price.. I definitely have Distronics-Plus (which I find really useful) I have the rear view camera with rigid blue parking guidelines... However I checked the blue price sticker and though Distronic Plus is listed Park Plus is not... Perhaps you are are referring to the European or 2007 models as you mention the UK Mercedes site...

In the manual, the Command system shows an option at the botton of the rear camera window.. but that is not visible/apparent on my car...

Looks like MB USA has deleted this feature for MY 2008? Now whether I would have really used it is a seperate question - but I dislike being denied the opportunity to try it out because MBUSA is removing features because the less technically adventurous get confused...

Chris
Did you have an early 08? I know the early 08 63's did not have command updated to birdseye and realtime traffic

Distronic was reoriented to a package about a month ago when park assist and blindspot assist were made available thru it.

This was the same time premium 3 with drive dynamic seats, night vision and back up camera was created as a package.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 AM

neodoc- what is the "hold" feature you metioned?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:36 AM

S550 / S430 / E320
The Distronic-plus package was changed for the US starting with July production. It now includes parking assistance and blind spot monitoring (this is a great feature that really works and is very useful). They also lowered the price to $2010. The early build 2008 S63 would not have it. Not sure when your S600 was built.

Parking assistance really does work. Combined with the camera, the guidelines and the sideview mirror that automatically lowers in reverse, I don't see how anyone would not be able to park perfectly without hitting the curb.

Mine did not come with the parking feature, but I did see the instructional video (again on the UK website) and don't see why you can't do the same with the fixed lines.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 AM

Ah that may explain things NJS430... The build date of my 2008 S600 was June 2007... Well it does not explain why they took Park Assist out for a period and then put it back in again... I do have birds eye and real time traffic and everything else in COMMAND however.....

The feature list of the S600 seems a moving target...

Guess I should have a word with my Service Advisor and see if a COMMAND update may be possible in future... MB has already done this with the 2007's that were missing birds eye, traffic, DVD playback etc, so there is a precedent...

Blind Spot assist would be wonderful to get also... though it looks like they would have to update the mirror assembly ....probably like updating to Parktronics would have been in my E55 - difficult!

Chris
Old 10-23-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by LETO
neodoc- what is the "hold" feature you metioned?
Leto:

I'm referring to a feature of Adapive Brake I found here: http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...en/N12B5F.html.

It is in the "More Detail" section of the user's manual posted by one of our CL forum members with this link: http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...ng/flash8.html. Once there, you have to click on the More Detail tab, then choose letter A and scroll down to Adaptive Brake. Click on the green Driving Systems area on the right column and then scroll down to find ADAPTIVE BRAKE (I'm not yelling; it's in allcaps on the list) . Once there, you'll find a blue more link to the Hold feature. If you take the time to read through this manual, I'm sure you'll find other features we've been deprived of in the US.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by neodoc
Leto:

I'm referring to a feature of Adapive Brake I found here: http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...en/N12B5F.html.

It is in the "More Detail" section of the user's manual posted by one of our CL forum members with this link: http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...ng/flash8.html. Once there, you have to click on the More Detail tab, then choose letter A and scroll down to Adaptive Brake. Click on the green Driving Systems area on the right column and then scroll down to find ADAPTIVE BRAKE (I'm not yelling; it's in allcaps on the list) . Once there, you'll find a blue more link to the Hold feature. If you take the time to read through this manual, I'm sure you'll find other features we've been deprived of in the US.
Is the lack of this Hold function again one of these US liability issues? It appears that this feature cannot be simply activated even by DAS, it is controlled by SCN. Not sure if some experts would be able to figure out the correct SCN, or if one could be copied from a Euro car.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM

I had never heard of that Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Lightbulb Blind Spot Assist Video

Blind Spot Assist Video
Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Is the lack of this Hold function again one of these US liability issues? It appears that this feature cannot be simply activated even by DAS, it is controlled by SCN. Not sure if some experts would be able to figure out the correct SCN, or if one could be copied from a Euro car.
I'm not sure if this feature still exists in the BMW 7 Series, but I remember test driving one a few years ago that had it. For anyone who deals with rush hour traffic each day, it would be something most welcome. As far as I understand how Distronic Plus works, the hold feature is incorporated into the braking system. The car comes to a stop the conventional way and then switches over to the parking (emergency) brake. Tapping the gas pedal or pulling the cruise lever toward the driver disengages the brake and the car accelerates at a rate that will keep a minimal distance from the car ahead, as long as the car ahead has already started moving. Since not everyone uses the D Plus all the time, the hold feature would be most useful. It's a shame it's not available as yet in the US.

Another feature I don't think is present in my CL 63 (built in 9/07) is the Intelligent headlight system http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...leben/ils.html that looks around the bend when turning. The fog lamps illuminate the curb at slow speeds, but I haven't noticed any changes while driving on a twisty road (not that we have that many in FL). Bean counters at work again.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:07 PM

neodoc- so the CL headlamps dont change directions with the steering like the GL's do. i had the same PE you do and the headlamps did a obvious change in direction with the steering.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
I believe the headlamps do turn with the sterring wheel in addition to the fog lamps.

We do have the part of the hold feature that works on an incline. You'll notice that when you stop on a grade, the car's brakes hold on for a couple of seconds to enable you to get to the gas pedal without rolling back. Not sure I have much use for it at any other time.