S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
Re: The attached photos in your earlier post...

MBS63: The first one of your photos (gray) is of a MY07 S600 interior (standard/non-Designo). No bumps on door panel, just straight double stitched line. Note wood on elbow rest area and telephone pad. The last photo you provided is of a MY07 S600 Designo Espresso edition, with bumps on door panel, and specially stitched 'rows' or pleats on seats. The two interim photos you attached seem to be '07 S550 Designo interiors that appeared in some '07 brochures in various markets in Europe, Americas & ROW. The first one with lighter leather appears to be similar to the US Saks edition, which is champagne/black. In the US, this color combination was reserved for a limited (40?) production S600 Saks model and had champagne leather upper door panels - not black leather like in your photo. The wood was piano black. The other photo appears to be what '07 brochures represented as Armagnac interior in the '07 Espresso Edition. As you can see in the last photo, Armagnac turned out to be more 'orange' in person than the brochure's photos represented. Thus the various issues that arose in US when some customers finally saw their Designo Espresso for the first time. Personally, I really liked the '07 Espresso edition with all of that wonderful & intense Armagnac leather interior which, by the way, is no longer available. The current Espresso has Sand leather interior. In MY08, all S600 received the 'Designo' look for the interior. So the row stitching on seats and bumps on door panels are all there. In additon, if you order an '08 S550 Designo interior (three set combo's available), the interior leather and stitching pattern will be similar to the new '08 S600, except for some details like the wood on elbow rest and telephone pad and rows on the alcantara roof, which are reserved only for the S600.

My understanding of the '08 S63 Designo (for US) interior is that it contains the following combination of elements: Lower dash has double-stitching as with all Designo models, but door panel has no bumps; just a double stitched line like on the MY07 S600 interior door panels seen in the first photo (gray) you attached. Seats are standard AMG pattern, but in Premium and not Exclusive leather. Up to now, S63s have been delivered with an all-leather (no wood) & paddles AMG wheel. I have attached two photos of a Graphite Designo interior S63 that just arrived in the US. You will have to tell us what the Canadian version contains.

I agree that there is an incredible amount of misinformation and confusion in dealers regarding the content of MB models, not only in Canada but here in the US as well. You need to do you homework very carefully before you finalize any 'special order' car to avoid unpleasant surprises. Hopefully a forum like this helps. Z356
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-img_0116.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-img_0119.jpg  

Last edited by Z356; 12-30-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by Z356
MBS63: The first one of your photos (gray) is of a MY07 S600 interior (standard/non-Designo). No bumps on door panel, just straight double stitch line. Note wood on elbow rest area and telephone pad. The last photo you provided is of a MY07 S600 Designo Espresso edition, with bumps on door panel, and specially stitched rows on seats. The two interim photos you attached seem to be '07 S550 Designo interiors that appeared in some '07 brochures in various markets in Europe, Americas & ROW. The first one with lighter leather appears to be similar to the US Saks edition, which is champagne/black. In the US, this color combination was reserved for a limited (40?) production S600 Saks model and had champagne leather upper door panels - not black leather like in your photo. The wood was piano black. The other photo appears to be what '07 brochures represented as Armagnac interior in the '07 Espresso Edition. As you can see in the last photo, Armagnac turned out to be more 'orange' in person than the brochure's photos represented. Thus the various issues that arose in US when some customers finally saw their Designo Espresso for the first time. Personally, I really liked the '07 Espresso edition with all of that wonderful & intense Armagnac leather interior which, by the way, is no longer available. The current Espresso has Sand leather interior. In MY08, all S600 received the 'Designo' look for the interior. So the row stitching on seats and bumps on door panels are all there. In additon, if you order an '08 S550 Designo interior (three set combo's available), the interior leather and stitching pattern will be similar to the new '08 S600, except for some details like the wood on elbow rest and telephone pad and rows on the alcantara roof, which are reserved only for the S600.

My understanding of the '08 S63 Designo (for US) interior is that it contains the following combination of elements: Lower dash has double-stitching as with all Designo models, but door panel has no bumps; just a double stitched line like on the MY07 S600 interior door panels seen in the first photo (gray) you attached. Seats are standard AMG pattern. Up to now, S63s have been delivered with all leather & paddles AMG wheel (no wood). I have attached two photos of a Graphite Designo interior S63 that just arrived in the US. You will have to tell us what the Canadian version contains.

I agree that there is an incredible amount of misinformation and confusion in dealers regarding the content of MB models, not only in Canada but here in the US as well. You need to do you homework very carefully before you finalize any 'special order' car to avoid unpleasant surprises. Hopefully a forum like this helps. Z356
That designo interior you attached looks horrible (no offense to those that have it) but seriously, for a designo car I'd expect MUCH more
Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 PM

1953 Fiat Topolino
Designo Expectations...

Blazinginder: Regarding Designo, it is all a matter of personal preferences and taste. Of the current Designo interiors allowed in the US, my favorite is Espresso. Attached are photos of a MY08 S550 with an Espresso interior. This is the Sand leather that replaced the Armagnac of '07. This interior retails for $12,250 on a '08 S550. It is important to note that the all leather surfaces are covered in better quality 'Exclusive' Nappa, not the 'Premium' (heavier grain) grade standard on the S63. For MY08, US customers can order at least two* of the three interiors (Espresso and Graphite) with non Designo exterior paints. You can order the Designo interior and then select from the regular colors available at no extra cost (for the latter). If you decide on a Designo exterior color (e.g. Mocha Brown, Graphite, Mystic White), it will cost you an additional $2,500 (so $12,250 + $2,500=$14,750). Here are the actual codes for the interior Designo package called Espresso (Pkg Code #181), just as it will appear on MBUSA window sticker and NetStar order for a MY08 S550. You can't add or subtract from this package. If you want Designo, you will also get adjustable rear seats, window sunblinds, etc. It is all inclusive in the $12,250 MSRP price for the Pkg #181. The Designo interior package for the S63 is somewhat different, as I alluded to in my earlier post. Z356

*MB might require dealers to bundle Designo Mystic White exterior with the Designo Porcelain interior (as a set package - no mixing), but someone else will have to confirm that.

181 designo Espresso Edition
W64 : designo Natural Maple
X10 : designo Sand Uph
Y89 : Alcantara Roof Liner Cashmere Beige
Y95 : designo Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
223 : 8-Way Power Ajustable Rear Seats
297 : Power Rear Side Window Sunblinds
402 : Heated & Active Ventilated Rear Seats
443 : Heated Steering Wheel
582 : Four-Zone Climate Control
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-121_2194.jpg  

Last edited by Z356; 12-30-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:14 PM

1953 Fiat Topolino
Another photo of Designo Espresso on a S550

Photo attached
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-122_2211.jpg  
Old 12-31-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63 2005 996 Turbo S, 2006 Sennia XLE Limited AWD
Originally Posted by Z356
MBS63: The first one of your photos (gray) is of a MY07 S600 interior (standard/non-Designo). No bumps on door panel, just straight double stitched line. Note wood on elbow rest area and telephone pad. The last photo you provided is of a MY07 S600 Designo Espresso edition, with bumps on door panel, and specially stitched 'rows' or pleats on seats. The two interim photos you attached seem to be '07 S550 Designo interiors that appeared in some '07 brochures in various markets in Europe, Americas & ROW. The first one with lighter leather appears to be similar to the US Saks edition, which is champagne/black. In the US, this color combination was reserved for a limited (40?) production S600 Saks model and had champagne leather upper door panels - not black leather like in your photo. The wood was piano black. The other photo appears to be what '07 brochures represented as Armagnac interior in the '07 Espresso Edition. As you can see in the last photo, Armagnac turned out to be more 'orange' in person than the brochure's photos represented. Thus the various issues that arose in US when some customers finally saw their Designo Espresso for the first time. Personally, I really liked the '07 Espresso edition with all of that wonderful & intense Armagnac leather interior which, by the way, is no longer available. The current Espresso has Sand leather interior. In MY08, all S600 received the 'Designo' look for the interior. So the row stitching on seats and bumps on door panels are all there. In additon, if you order an '08 S550 Designo interior (three set combo's available), the interior leather and stitching pattern will be similar to the new '08 S600, except for some details like the wood on elbow rest and telephone pad and rows on the alcantara roof, which are reserved only for the S600.

My understanding of the '08 S63 Designo (for US) interior is that it contains the following combination of elements: Lower dash has double-stitching as with all Designo models, but door panel has no bumps; just a double stitched line like on the MY07 S600 interior door panels seen in the first photo (gray) you attached. Seats are standard AMG pattern, but in Premium and not Exclusive leather. Up to now, S63s have been delivered with an all-leather (no wood) & paddles AMG wheel. I have attached two photos of a Graphite Designo interior S63 that just arrived in the US. You will have to tell us what the Canadian version contains.

Here is my unstanding to Canadian car:

S550 door panel and lower dashboard are plain
S63 door panel and lower dashboard has double-stitching
S600 door panel has bump and lower dashboard has double-stitching
S65 door panel has diamond pattern and lower dashboard has double-stitching

All Designo order on s63,s600,s65 will not change the pattern on the door panel and the lower dashboard. I am not sure about the s550. Due to the experince of rachelpatricia. My best guess is the Designo order on s550 will not change the pattern on door panel and lower dashboard

The Designo option only change the material/color on the front and rear seats,lower dash, door panels, door armrest, centre armrest. Alcantara Roof Liner, designo Wood/Leather Steering Wheel and designo wood trims are not include. The cost of this option is $5400, Designo Wood trims are $3200, Designo Exterior color is $1900, I don't know the price of the roof liner and the steering wheel. However, Designo Alcantara Roof liner is standard on s63,s600,s65. And beware of ordering stone trims. Stone trims are only use on keypad cover, trim strips around the center armrest and the rear cover of the center console. The rest of the wood elements will replace by black piano lacquer.

My conclusion in here is: Designo option will only change the material but not the patterns on the dash, door and seats. Ask the salesperson to give you black and white on the description of the option (which parts will replace by the Designo leather).

MB World should have a sub-fourm on Designo. I hope our discussion on here can give some help to those who wants to order Designo car.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:54 PM

'05 S500, '07 s550, '08 ML350, '08 Designo s550
As i can tell, this is a HUGE problem . Because to order such an expensive car and not get what you have ordered or THINK you are getting is big mistake on Mercedes Canada.

Thank you guys for all your great information . I will definately be watching this post and will put up pics ASAP when the car is in.

Then we can get a little more clarity as to the issues above
Old 12-31-2007, 01:58 PM

06' E500 Estate, '08 S65, '05 S430
Wow, this is a very helpful thread. I tried to order and S63 with the Designo Expresso for Euro delivery but the Designo build date exceeded our time in Europe. I ended up getting an S65 instead off the showroom (aka no Designo). This would have been really helpful earlier although I am happy with my final decision.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:51 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Interior Shot Mystic White 08 S65

US Car 2008 S65 Designo Mystic White.
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-2008-s65-designo.jpg   Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-08-s65-designo-mystic.jpg  
Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
Gorgeous car! Is the dash all stitched nappa leather like you thought it would be? Can you order a designo interior without getting a designo exterior? It looks like your sticker is itemized, breaking out the interior and exterior designo components.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:31 PM

... more advice ....

On AMG's car, when order with wood/leather steering, you will lose the paddle shifter. And I personally like the thick racing steering wheel more.

To my understanding, wood/leather steering wheel option is conflicts with heated steering wheel (the wood can't be heated ). Maybe my info. was out-dated.

And here is a link to some Designo cars. Enjoy! and Happy New Year!

http://translate.google.com/translat...6rlz%3D1I7HPIA
Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by rachelpatricia
US Car 2008 S65 Designo Mystic White.
rachelpatricia: on your order, is the color code for interior is X27? I'm sure that the w69,y83,y95,443 should not affect the color of the door panel and the dash. That means the component for code X27 on a S65 is different than the X27 on a S550. Did they found out the product discription for option? It should look somewhat like this.

"single-tone designo Exclusive aniline leather for AMG models AMG sports
seats in designo aniline leather AMG badge in front backrests seat
side/seatback coverings and ruffled pockets in black nappa leather lower
section of dashboard in designo leather front armrest lid, door centre
panels and door armrests in designo leather velour floor mats in black
with edging in black designo leather roof lining, A/B/C-pillar trim and
sun visors in anthracite Alcantara"

Please keep us post. I really want to understand the whole thing.

Have a Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 PM

1953 Fiat Topolino
Heated wheel....

MBS63: I think it is just the opposite. The optional leather/wood steering has the ability to be heated, but only on the leather portions at 9 and 3 o'clock. This is the wheel with shift buttons on the back. Apparently, the all leather (thicker) AMG steering wheel with aluminum shift paddles does not have the ability to be heated at this time. Don't know why and would seem counterintuitive. For US market, the AMG all leather wheel seems to be standard on all our S63s, whether Designo or not. It comes with a plastic cover for the center air bag, which is not what most people would expect at this price point. On US CL63s, the same all leather AMG wheel comes as standard but we have seen at least one Designo Espresso with the optional leather/wood wheel with buttons on back. In addition, MBUSA has decided that all S65 and CL65 for the US market will get the leather/wood wheel that is standard on the S600/CL550/CL600 (optional on S550). This wood/leather wheel comes now 'heated' as standard for the top models, although 'heat' is an option on the S550/CL550. The leather on these 'optional' wheels is the finer 'Exclusive' nappa grade and the wood matches the interior wood trim of the car. The AMG wheel is covered in 'Premium' grade leather (somewhat grainy) and has perforations at 9 and 3 o'clock (see attached photo of S63 AMG wheel). The leather/wood wheel always comes from factory with the leather stitched air bag cover in fine Nappa. In this Forum, this leather/wood item is better known as the steering wheel for old codgers. Pas moi. Happy New Year to all. Z356
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-dsc01105.jpg  
Old 12-31-2007, 07:00 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Rachelpatricia's Canadian Order Codes

Snapshot from MBC system of my car's codes. Additionally, details about interiors for Canadian S600 Designo and S65s. Price is MSRP - Canadian.

N.B. It is also my understanding that the wood/leather wheel can be heated in the leather portion only S550. It was to have come on my car. I prefer the all leather heated wheel and the factory sub'd - the all leather wheel instead of the wood/leather I paid for - go figure. Received a modest credit from MB.

Happy New Year.
Attached Thumbnails Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550-s550-4matic-canada.bmp  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pages from MY08SclassWhatsNew.pdf (145.1 KB, 337 views)
Old 12-31-2007, 07:29 PM

1953 Fiat Topolino
rachelpatricia: When you finally take possession of your car (if you do), could you verify if your AMG steering wheel is wired for heating. I am to understand that you received an AMG all-leather wheel with aluminum paddles, not shift buttons, correct? Just like the one pictured in my previous post. Or did you get the standard & thinner wheel (non-AMG model), also all leather but with shift buttons in the back? Also, does the air bag cover on your steering wheel come with leather or plastic? In particular, I am trying to figure out if the AMG wheel with aluminum paddles comes 'heated' in a non-US market. Good luck with your efforts re: MBCanada. Z356
Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 PM

According to the 2008 Canadain Brochure ( http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/site/mb_...Y08_S_eBro.pdf ). All S-class models are equiped with heated steering wheel. s600 and s65 are equiped with wood/leather steering wheel. s63 and s65 has shift-paddles. Therefore, the thick leather AMG steering wheel should be heated and the wood/leather steering are also heated and with the paddle-shift (only on S65). However, on the s63, when you order the wood/leather steering wheel, the shift paddle has to replace by the shift buttom. (see attached pdf file)

the all leather AMG steering wheel is not an option that you can add on a s550 or s600. (you may find parts number for the AMG steering wheel and install it onto the car, but it is not a dealers option)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan0001.pdf (46.9 KB, 324 views)
Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 AM

1953 Fiat Topolino
S65 wood/leather wheel...

MBS63: My understanding is that there is currently no AMG wood/leather with aluminum shift paddles available, period. Not for Canada. Not for Europe. Not for anywhere. There appears to be only one type of AMG sport steering wheel for the new AMG S and CL models, which is one of the things we have been talking about on this thread. It is the thick one/all leather/with perforated leather at 9 & 3 o'clock. It is made by TRW for MB and has numbers like Q8 A 2214601803, TRW nr: 61999000A and 61580351. The only differences in AMG steering wheels for the S and CL class appears to be the type of leather used (premium or exclusive grade) & color. Also whether the center airbag cover is stitched leather or plastic, but not if it has wood anywhere on its surface. In the US, MBUSA has decided to use in the S65/CL65 a non-AMG wood/leather steering wheel (with buttons in back as shifters) which comes from the more luxury oriented S600 & CL600 models. The only exception, so far, has been on the Alu Beam Paint AMG 40th Anniversary edition CL65 which sports an AMG all-leather/aluminum paddle shifter steering wheel with 'exclusive' grade leather in a special color & the airbag covered done in stitched leather (not plastic). Basically, same wheel that is standard on the S63 with with finer leather hides, unusual color and double-stitching for center airbag cover. If anyone has new information on any OEM/factory original wood/leather AMG wheel with aluminum paddles for a MY07/MY08 S or CL class, I would love to hear from you and see photos of examples.

I am trying also to determine if any S63 or CL63 AMG all-leather steering wheel with aluminum paddles has been delivered with a working heating function anywhere - US, Canada, Europe, etc. If someone has this new AMG all leather/paddle shifter wheel in any world market with 'heat' from factory, please let me know. Thanks. Regards, Z356
Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 AM

BMW 535 Sport
Cool

I went to pick up my new S550 4matic, which had been ordered with a Designo Interior. I expected, based on the photos I had seen in MB Designo booklet, to get an interior that looked identical to the US Mystic White Designo Interior. Instead, what I have are porcelain leather seats and arms rests on the doors, but the rest of the doors and dash are all black! Moreover, instead of the stitched leather dash and door panels, it is plain, like a standard S550. I was very surprised to say the least. When ordering I carefully went over this, so the dealer in on side - but puzzled, I might add. The ordering codes, at least for Canada, don't seem to give him control over these surface colours.

Any thoughts?
Hi! Without "wading" into the designo argument (and that's without trying to read contributors' comments above!) the simple conclusion is this...

In Europe at least, Mercedes offer two principle designo trim levels:

1) Exclusive aniline leather seats - same leather on the door trims and lower dashboard (fascia) as well as black passion leather trim as a contrast.

2) Non-exclusive aniline leather seats - same leather on the door (armrest only) and extensive black passion leather trim on the door panel and as a contrast in the rest of the interior including lower fascia.

It's as simple as that. Perhaps your dealer does not offer the two trim levels...

Isaac
Old 01-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by isaacu
Hi! Without "wading" into the designo argument (and that's without trying to read contributors' comments above!) the simple conclusion is this...

In Europe at least, Mercedes offer two principle designo trim levels:

1) Exclusive aniline leather seats - same leather on the door trims and lower dashboard (fascia) as well as black passion leather trim as a contrast.

2) Non-exclusive aniline leather seats - same leather on the door (armrest only) and extensive black passion leather trim on the door panel and as a contrast in the rest of the interior including lower fascia.

It's as simple as that. Perhaps your dealer does not offer the two trim levels...

Isaac
Agree

But the whole point is MB Canada and/or the dealer does not provide this info to rachelpatricia. The UK brochure clearly describe the the detail. And it is kind of "silly" that those detail info does not shown on the Designo brochure.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:57 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Mbs63 Pdf

I see that is a scan of a MBC internal doc. Are you Canadian?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:00 PM

I see that is a scan of a MBC internal doc. Are you Canadian?
I told you that back in sept. I am in Toronto. And that's why I'm so interest about the issue that you have.

As I said before, even my saleperson in the Mid-Town Toronto dearler (which the Headquarter of MBC is right beside the dealer) does not know too much about the Designo and try to sell me what I see on the Designo booklet (the one that you have) should be what I will get. Fotunate me, they have one S63 with Designo arrive after I place the order ( and before they order from factory). And that's the time the salesperson start to dig the info for me.

I feel so...upset and dispointed.. that MBC are handling the Designo program so bad. And we spend a lots of money on these options and couldn't get what we expect (and that should be avoid-able). Even though the car you have right now (with the black door panel and lower dashboard) is still a very impressive interior. But we shouldn't be treat like that.

Taste of color is very personal, some customer may really "hate" that combination and what can they do. Reject the car and wait three more month or accept the car. Either way it spoil the fun of have a new car.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:47 PM

S550 4matic / SL65
Designo MBCS63

Yes, yes, I recall our conversation now. It was on my earlier thread.

It should not be this difficult.

The designo program should be easy to clearly define. It would represent additional profit on a customer they have already sold. MBC has a responsibility to get this communicated to their dealers.

When I opened the door and sat in the car, the dealer was expecting a "wow!" Instead my reaction was, "It's wrong." Not an easy car for the dealer to swallow either.

You are completely correct in saying that it robs you of the joy of the new car experience.

I only hope that they deliver what you expect. Not much fun otherwise.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Im glad i found this thread before i went to pick mine up. Now i wont be so disappointed if its not correct.

Crossing my fingers for it this week.

Have to feel sorry for you though rachel, im sure when you went to see it for the first time it was a downer.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Just got a call, my car is iN!!!!!

Going back a bit, someone had asked about color code.
They said 048
But that person was mentioning 502, 202, and 802 ???? maybe a US code

Anyway, its going through the shops with all the necessary adjustments , should pick it up tomorrow or so.

Pics soon!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
designo stands for "disappointment"

I would suggest that you enjoy your car. It is absolutely fabulous although not what you expected. Then, twist the MB store managers arm to get you an S 600 -- at their cost and for them to eat the one they got you.
You will enjoy the power, smootheness and all options of the 600.
Forget about Designo, unless you go to Germany and sit in the exact car you want, which is probably impossible.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

S Class, XC90 and Auris
Originally Posted by carsnob
I would suggest that you enjoy your car. It is absolutely fabulous although not what you expected. Then, twist the MB store managers arm to get you an S 600 -- at their cost and for them to eat the one they got you.
You will enjoy the power, smootheness and all options of the 600.
Forget about Designo, unless you go to Germany and sit in the exact car you want, which is probably impossible.
You're right, but when you dream about something and then you recive the opposite thing you just don't think like that....

In Europe, Designo filosophie is a bit different.

Designo means that you can choose everything that you wont for your car and mix colors, leathers and bodypaitns.

It's a shame tha in the US they just have like Designo pre set packages....

For example here I can choose a green and yellow interior with bambo trims, for example....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Surprised by Designo Interior in 08 S550