S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

enable command DVD while moving for passanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 GL450 / 08 S550 4matic
how to buy?

i wish to purchase this wonderful item
how do i find this item and who do i contact??
i assume it will work in my 2008 s550?
thanx
Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 PM

worry

a little worried about difficulty of removing side panel as posted earlier -- always afraid i will break something is it that big of a deal -- i had a hell of a time getting the amg pedals/accelerator installed and they said it was easy too any input??
Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by cgjungdds
a little worried about difficulty of removing side panel as posted earlier -- always afraid i will break something is it that big of a deal -- i had a hell of a time getting the amg pedals/accelerator installed and they said it was easy too any input??

OK, let me explain how to get the side fuse panels off without using a single tool. I got this panel off in (no lie) 15 seconds with one hand as I used the other hand to hold the camera. 1) Push very hard inward on the panel at the front end , this will cause the upper portion of the panel to buck out.

Afterwards, you can use a finger from the other hand and pry the panel outwards as you let your fingers do the walking along the edges. Pull hard enough to get the prongs to release.

This took me absolutely less than 20 seconds. ONCE YOU GET TO WHERE I AM IN THE 3RD PICTURE IS WHERE YOU NEED TO PULL EXTRA HARD AS THIS IS THE AREA WHERE THE PRONG WILL LET GO.

Be sure when replacing it , that the tabs line up with the holes or you'll will either bend or break something.

P.S. IF YOU DO HAVE ANY TROUBLE GETTING YOUR FINGER BEHIND THE PANEL, USE SOMETHING LIKE A POPSICLE STICK TO PRY IT OUT OR A BUTTER KNIFE. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TEAR THE LEATHER. DON'T BE AFRAID TO PRY IT OUT ESPECIALLY ONCE YOU WALK YOUR WAY AROUND TO THE 2:00 POSITION AS THAT IS APPROXIMATELY WHERE THE PRONG BEGINS TO LET GO.

Last edited by trumpet1; 06-02-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 PM

thanx

wow nice pics-- thank you
very helpful
now to order it?
is it rob at midcity?
$399?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550 & 2005 S500 (both FULLY loaded incl. AMG sport package)
Originally Posted by NJS430
The Navagation Volume is adjusted by turning the volume control while the voice is speaking. I think some people change the NAV volume unintentionally when trying to adjust the radio volume. Just hit the "repeat" button and adjust the volume as needed while the voice is active. Because the NAV overlays the music, you'll need to adjust it to match your radio volume when you are listing to music at higher volume levels.
You are absolutely right Sir, that one has to adjust the Navigation volume such that it remains either at the same or higher level than the radio. However, in the earlier S class (upto 2006) if the Navigation system had to state a direction of turn or exit then the radio volume would automatically go down so that you could hear the Navigation instruction, clearly. I wonder why they removed this feature from the COMAND from 2007 S class (basically the new shaped S class).

"Trumpet1" you have posted some awesome pictures of yanking out the side panel. Superb.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by cgjungdds
wow nice pics-- thank you
very helpful
now to order it?
is it rob at midcity?
$399?

Yes. Rob is the man to talk to. $399 is correct as well. My kids and wife love this when we travel.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by sanjaysingh
........However, in the earlier S class (upto 2006) if the Navigation system had to state a direction of turn or exit then the radio volume would automatically go down so that you could hear the Navigation instruction, clearly. I wonder why they removed this feature from the COMAND from 2007 S class (basically the new shaped S class)????

Good question. However, I fiddled with it a few times and have it set just like I want it. I actually think I like it better this way.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:28 PM

S550 / S430 / E320
You are absolutely right Sir, that one has to adjust the Navigation volume such that it remains either at the same or higher level than the radio. However, in the earlier S class (upto 2006) if the Navigation system had to state a direction of turn or exit then the radio volume would automatically go down so that you could hear the Navigation instruction, clearly. I wonder why they removed this feature from the COMAND from 2007 S class (basically the new shaped S class).

"Trumpet1" you have posted some awesome pictures of yanking out the side panel. Superb.
I've had both. I believe the old comand muted the radio when the NAV system gave a direction. This is annoying when you listen to talk or news radio. I think the new one is better. Yes, you have to adjust it if you turn up the volume, but it lets you hear both.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:08 AM

W221-S550
VIM & DVDs

I have the VIm for about a year, one of the 1st batch to get it and its working fine. have a related questions. Why is it some DVD can play from where you left off and others restart from beginning? My Eagles "When Hell Freezes over" DVD will play from where I stopped it after I turn off the car and come back a few days later to drive it again, whereas my kids Disney video always goes from the beginning everytime after I turn the car ignition off and retsart after a few minutes. Also, when you choose the video option, it always just play the DVD last played, you do not have a list of DVD to choose from. That you have to go to the changer option.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by flaw
I have the VIm for about a year, one of the 1st batch to get it and its working fine. have a related questions. Why is it some DVD can play from where you left off and others restart from beginning? My Eagles "When Hell Freezes over" DVD will play from where I stopped it after I turn off the car and come back a few days later to drive it again, whereas my kids Disney video always goes from the beginning everytime after I turn the car ignition off and retsart after a few minutes. Also, when you choose the video option, it always just play the DVD last played, you do not have a list of DVD to choose from. That you have to go to the changer option.
Yes , I've noticed that everytime I shut off the car and come back, the DVD goes back to the beginning of the track I was watching/listening to after I left it. It won't pick up right where it left off. As far as the list of DVDs, I've not investigated that enough to notice it. I just scroll to the changer and choose from the list of DVDs that have been preloaded. Sometimes (usually always) the names of the artist/movie is labeled in that list, otherwise it just states "unknown".

I don't know why quirky things like this happen on not only MB cars but many German makes.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 PM

PARK ASSIST INOPERATIVE WHEN VIM INSTALLED

Hi Members of the Forum (with VIM),

I installed the revised VIM (received from Midcity) and since then the problem of blanking out has gone.

However, my park assist feature has gone kaput. The moment I put the car in reverse, the camera comes on but as I start to turn the wheel, I get a message (in a yellow background box) that my "steering wheel has gone to extreme position and therefore Park Assist has become inoperative". I have tried to switch off the car and turn it on again but the same problem continues to come. Earlier (even though I had the defective module) I used to get two lines that moved everytime I moved my steering wheel but now even those have vanished. I don't know whether the main software of the COMAND has gone bust (and the dealer needs to reload it) or is to do with some signal of the VIM. Since most you all are so experienced with this and especially Trumpet1, I thought before I disconnect the module and do some fault isolation, let me ask whether any of you have experienced such a problem.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Hi Members of the Forum (with VIM),

I installed the revised VIM (received from Midcity) and since then the problem of blanking out has gone.

However, my park assist feature has gone kaput. The moment I put the car in reverse, the camera comes on but as I start to turn the wheel, I get a message (in a yellow background box) that my "steering wheel has gone to extreme position and therefore Park Assist has become inoperative". I have tried to switch off the car and turn it on again but the same problem continues to come. Earlier (even though I had the defective module) I used to get two lines that moved everytime I moved my steering wheel but now even those have vanished. I don't know whether the main software of the COMAND has gone bust (and the dealer needs to reload it) or is to do with some signal of the VIM. Since most you all are so experienced with this and especially Trumpet1, I thought before I disconnect the module and do some fault isolation, let me ask whether any of you have experienced such a problem.

Sanjay, this happened to me also but I am trying to remember at what stage this occured and how I got it resolved. Let me have a few hours to review this and maybe I can help you with this. Hang on.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Here is something that is strange. Yesterday while I had everything wired back to factory, the reverse backup camera showed the "park assist" image as if I still had the '07 telematics !! As I backed out of the garage, it would automatically be in the "parallel park assist" mode as if I were trying to park next to a curb between two cars when actually all I was doing was backing out of the garage and into the street. As I turned the steering wheel backing out, a message would pop up saying that the steering wheel has been turned too far (or something like that). Now after driving around, the reverse camera and image were later normal. This only happens just after cranking up the car initially.

So, I decided to hook up my VIM module again and now everything works again as it's supposed to. The "park assist" image has not returned while in reverse. The normal diagram pops up while in reverse (the parallel lines with the curving line as you turn the wheel) and I noticed today that the VIM has not blacked out at all !! That may be temporary but I'll just have to keep an eye on it. It could very well be that disconnecting it for 24 hours may have allowed the telematics to settle down and reset which then will hopefully allow my VIM to operate normally.
We'll see.

Sanjay, I found the post I made about this. Unfortunately , it occured with my original faulty module. It seems that unplugging the module for a day and rehooking it up may reset it. I'll keep on reading but this should give you a start.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
I have been keeping my tongue in cheek about this but I feel you are right, some are just not noticing it. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes instead of a blackout occurring, the backup camera will come on while driving down the road (again, only for a split second) and today while putting my car in Reverse, the "park assist" feature pops up instead of the usual parallel lines needed for backing up. The "park assist" was supposedly done away with when I had the 2008 telematics update! I guess it's time for a refund or a replacement

Question:

For those of you who installed the VIM yourself, how many of you pulled the wrong wire the first or second time???? I know I did the first time. I almost wonder if those that are not having the problem chose the correct wire on the first try and therefore never "upset" the other features causing fault codes to pop up????
I often wonder if the blackout is caused by something that was disturbed/disrupted by pulling the wrong wire (which is a part of the instructions....some get lucky , some don't) and what we are seeing has nothing to do with the radio wire but instead is still a leftover fault trying to recover from pulling that wrong wire???
That's why I'm under the belief that taking it to the shop and letting them reflash the 2008 software might just solve this problem since some people are not having the problem. Now that I am seeing the backup "park assist" feature coming up on the screen while in reverse, I'm really confused. You would think that if it was a design issue with the module, it would affect everyone fairly equally.

The above is another instance where I posted that problem Sanjay. This was a situation where my backup camera came on for a moment while driving down the street!

Once again, let me repeat that I've not had a single problem since I put the 2nd module in. No problems at all.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Sanjay,
I looked over all of the posts that I made and it seems that this problem fixed itself after I disconnected the module for a few days, made sure the original wiring was established , waited to make sure no problems occured, THEN after a few days I hooked the module back up again and the problem never returned. I don't exactly what this does but it worked for me. Aggravating to have to do this, but it might work for you too.
Again: hook everything back up to stock,
drive it for a week taking notice that all original features are working properly,
then hook your module back up.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM

THANK YOU SIR

Sanjay,
I looked over all of the posts that I made and it seems that this problem fixed itself after I disconnected the module for a few days, made sure the original wiring was established , waited to make sure no problems occured, THEN after a few days I hooked the module back up again and the problem never returned. I don't exactly what this does but it worked for me. Aggravating to have to do this, but it might work for you too.
Again: hook everything back up to stock,
drive it for a week taking notice that all original features are working properly,
then hook your module back up.
THANK YOU SIR. You are just AWESOME. I have disconnected the module this morning and everything seems to be working fine. The rear camera with those lines are also working like they were before. Obviously my VIM is back to square 1 (now works only in Parking mode with the parking brakes on). I shall follow your instructions to the "T" and reconnect after a week and report. THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH. You are the guru on the VIM, even though Midcity has manufactured it... HATS OFF SIR.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Sanjay, if you've confirmed no problems with your comand system by now, you could probably go ahead and hook up your VIM again and see what happens. Let us know if it is working properly. Otherwise, you may have to call midcity again
Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM

VIM still makes park assist inoperative

Sanjay, if you've confirmed no problems with your comand system by now, you could probably go ahead and hook up your VIM again and see what happens. Let us know if it is working properly. Otherwise, you may have to call midcity again
Sorry Boss, I was away on vacation up north with the family (in the 550). Got back only last night. I hooked up the VIM just now. As such it appeared to be working fine but the moment I engage the gear lever into "reverse" my park assist goes kaput. I get an error message in the COMAND unit that says that I have turned my wheel beyond the specified limit and therefore the part assist is inoperative now. I also dont get any yellow lines that move when the steering wheel moves (like I do when there is no VIM installed). I must admit that every thing was working PERFECTLY for the last two weeks of having disconnected the VIM module (except ofcourse without the ability to have VIM!!!!) . I will call Midcity in the morning and ask them whether I can do any resets or will they just ship me another. Since you have faced such a problem before and they were able to fix it, I am sure that they will be able to figure out what needs to be done in the setting. THANK YOU SO MUCH ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND VALUABLE ADVISE.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Sorry Boss, I was away on vacation up north with the family (in the 550). Got back only last night. I hooked up the VIM just now. As such it appeared to be working fine but the moment I engage the gear lever into "reverse" my park assist goes kaput. I get an error message in the COMAND unit that says that I have turned my wheel beyond the specified limit and therefore the part assist is inoperative now. I also dont get any yellow lines that move when the steering wheel moves (like I do when there is no VIM installed). I must admit that every thing was working PERFECTLY for the last two weeks of having disconnected the VIM module (except ofcourse without the ability to have VIM!!!!) . I will call Midcity in the morning and ask them whether I can do any resets or will they just ship me another. Since you have faced such a problem before and they were able to fix it, I am sure that they will be able to figure out what needs to be done in the setting. THANK YOU SO MUCH ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND VALUABLE ADVISE.
Darn it! I was hoping it would fix itself. So sorry that you're gonna have to go through all the loops again.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 PM

VIM module error message when in reverse mode

Trumpet1: I finally called Midcity today as I thought I must be sure that the problem is not due to some fautly connection or system stabilization in my car due to which I get the error messages when I shift the gear lever in "Reverse mode". As you had suggested, I disconnected the VIM (finally a total of 3 times) and each time let the car run without the VIM in place for over a week. But each time the moment I connected the VIM back, I got the same error message - Park assist disabled as the steering has gone to an extreme position. In fact the lines that move when you move your steering wheel aslo disappear once the VIM is connected. The only thing that you get is the rear view through the backup camera. I spoke with TJ and Rob and like always - WHAT AN AWESOME ATTITUDE, LITERALLY THE BEST COMPANY AND PEOPLE YOU CAN DEAL WITH, so professional that I don't think there are many guys in the world like them. Rob was able to guess what the problem was instantly and will be shipping out the new VIM on Monday along with a harness. Just talking to the guy gives you the confidence that you have bought the best product!!! Shall let you know after I have installed the New VIM. Thanks for all your help too "trumpet1".
Old 08-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Trumpet1: I finally called Midcity today as I thought I must be sure that the problem is not due to some fautly connection or system stabilization in my car due to which I get the error messages when I shift the gear lever in "Reverse mode". As you had suggested, I disconnected the VIM (finally a total of 3 times) and each time let the car run without the VIM in place for over a week. But each time the moment I connected the VIM back, I got the same error message - Park assist disabled as the steering has gone to an extreme position. In fact the lines that move when you move your steering wheel aslo disappear once the VIM is connected. The only thing that you get is the rear view through the backup camera. I spoke with TJ and Rob and like always - WHAT AN AWESOME ATTITUDE, LITERALLY THE BEST COMPANY AND PEOPLE YOU CAN DEAL WITH, so professional that I don't think there are many guys in the world like them. Rob was able to guess what the problem was instantly and will be shipping out the new VIM on Monday along with a harness. Just talking to the guy gives you the confidence that you have bought the best product!!! Shall let you know after I have installed the New VIM. Thanks for all your help too "trumpet1".
they r charging 400 for faulty devices. u spent so much time disconnecting and reconnecting the device. and u think they r the best in the world. they should give u half off the device for all your trouble, instead of sweet talking.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RajwanyS550
they r charging 400 for faulty devices. u spent so much time disconnecting and reconnecting the device. and u think they r the best in the world. they should give u half off the device for all your trouble, instead of sweet talking.
Hi SIR. I almost fell off the chair the laughing........after I read your reply.....

Well, it was little bit of a pain to disconnect/reconnect the module but I wanted to be sure that the fault was with the module and not with my car's COMAND system that was not being able to adapt to it. In all honesty "trumpet1" had told me to call Rob after it's first failure after reconnection (but I thought I must be sure that the VIM is defective). Today Rob told me that it may not be the VIM at all but it was possible that the harness was misbehaving.

The reason I appreciated the guys at Midcity for their attitude is that here in Bay Area, CA, a little while ago my dealership guy's driver scratched my AMG wheels when he was taking my car in for service. They did not even bother to acknowledge the same. When I noticed it I was really upset and told them about it, they said they would touch it up. When I asked them whether it would be like original. The service advisor said NO. I was really shocked that I had to now pay $750 if I wanted to have the original AMG "scratchless" wheel back (for no fault of mine)!!! This is inspite of my buying two cars (both well over $100K) from the same guys. In the case of Midcity, they were immediately upset about the problem and said would do all they could to correct it, so the sweetness......
Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Hi SIR. I almost fell off the chair the laughing........after I read your reply.....

Well, it was little bit of a pain to disconnect/reconnect the module but I wanted to be sure that the fault was with the module and not with my car's COMAND system that was not being able to adapt to it. In all honesty "trumpet1" had told me to call Rob after it's first failure after reconnection (but I thought I must be sure that the VIM is defective). Today Rob told me that it may not be the VIM at all but it was possible that the harness was misbehaving.

The reason I appreciated the guys at Midcity for their attitude is that here in Bay Area, CA, a little while ago my dealership guy's driver scratched my AMG wheels when he was taking my car in for service. They did not even bother to acknowledge the same. When I noticed it I was really upset and told them about it, they said they would touch it up. When I asked them whether it would be like original. The service advisor said NO. I was really shocked that I had to now pay $750 if I wanted to have the original AMG "scratchless" wheel back (for no fault of mine)!!! This is inspite of my buying two cars (both well over $100K) from the same guys. In the case of Midcity, they were immediately upset about the problem and said would do all they could to correct it, so the sweetness......
more power to u sir. guess u have patience.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by RajwanyS550
more power to u sir. guess u have patience.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR. I shall let the forum know whether the problem got rectified, once I have tested it with the new VIM/harness. Hopefully it should be fine as Rob of Midcity told me that this time he is going to test it in a similar "features/loading" car before he ships it out.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600

Mine did the same thing at one time during all of my problems but the problem with the backup camera only occured during one install cycle. I really don't know why this happened but I do know what you're talking about. I assure you, you are doing everything right in your install. It is not your error. There are certainly some modules that are defective or not programmed correctly and they are becoming aware of it and getting it taken care of.
Mine has worked flawlessly ever since I placed the second one in. I sure hope your new one finalizes this problem. What puzzles me is why are they (Midcity installers) not having this problem when they do the install? I swear, they can't be doing anything any different than I did. The hookup is so simple. It's like cooking breakfast.....you pretty much can't screw that up!
I hooked up my 2nd module exactly the same way I hooked up the first one so I know for a fact I did it right. One worked, one didn't. I really hope they tested my faulty one just to prove I had a defective one....I guess we'll never know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: enable command DVD while moving for passanger