S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

enable command DVD while moving for passanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 01:11 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by RajwanyS550
they r charging 400 for faulty devices. u spent so much time disconnecting and reconnecting the device. and u think they r the best in the world. they should give u half off the device for all your trouble, instead of sweet talking.
I dont know if you're being fair. I work in service at MB where all we do all day is fix these cars; you could say the same thing about mercedes (or any other car for that matter).

Warranty issues are always going to be a fact of life with these cars and their complex systems and I think what is important is that they take care of their product (which they do).
Old 08-24-2008 | 10:32 PM

2007 S550 & 2005 S500 (both FULLY loaded incl. AMG sport package)
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Mine did the same thing at one time during all of my problems but the problem with the backup camera only occured during one install cycle. I really don't know why this happened but I do know what you're talking about. I assure you, you are doing everything right in your install. It is not your error. There are certainly some modules that are defective or not programmed correctly and they are becoming aware of it and getting it taken care of.
Mine has worked flawlessly ever since I placed the second one in. I sure hope your new one finalizes this problem. What puzzles me is why are they (Midcity installers) not having this problem when they do the install? I swear, they can't be doing anything any different than I did. The hookup is so simple. It's like cooking breakfast.....you pretty much can't screw that up!
I hooked up my 2nd module exactly the same way I hooked up the first one so I know for a fact I did it right. One worked, one didn't. I really hope they tested my faulty one just to prove I had a defective one....I guess we'll never know.
Hi Chief, THANK YOU for the inputs. You are absolutely right about the ease of installation. In fact with the pictures that you provided on site, made things even simpler, for all people installing the VIM. Your last comment was bang on....that we on our part are hooking up things the right way but one works and the other doesn't.... While I am certain that they will be able to figure out the problem (that may just be with my "harness" - cable - as Rob said and not with the module as such), but it would certainly be interesting to know whether the modules that we thought were defective were really defective. THANKS ONCE AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2008 | 05:44 PM

2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by sanjaysingh
Hi Chief, THANK YOU for the inputs. You are absolutely right about the ease of installation. In fact with the pictures that you provided on site, made things even simpler, for all people installing the VIM. Your last comment was bang on....that we on our part are hooking up things the right way but one works and the other doesn't.... While I am certain that they will be able to figure out the problem (that may just be with my "harness" - cable - as Rob said and not with the module as such), but it would certainly be interesting to know whether the modules that we thought were defective were really defective. THANKS ONCE AGAIN.
still waiting........................
Old 08-27-2008 | 11:12 PM

S63 AMG
Help

I bought the Video in Motion unit from midcity a few months ago. I went to Pep Boys and bought the required tools, and the whole project has been sitting in my trunck for the last two months. The other day I decided to try to install the thing in my driveway and after about ten minutes of trying to open the fuse panel with a letter opener I gave up.

I took the car to a local Euro tuner today and he said he wouldn't touch my car because of liability.

Is there:

A. somewhere or someone in Southern California who can install this for me?

B: a trick to getting the fuse panel open without destroying my 150k car?

C: someone who would like to buy this never been used mod from me for $299 via paypal?

Thanks in advance for all input.
Old 08-28-2008 | 12:14 AM

2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
see trumpet's detailed description earlier in the post. it will help...
Old 08-28-2008 | 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
OK, let me explain how to get the side fuse panels off without using a single tool. I got this panel off in (no lie) 15 seconds with one hand as I used the other hand to hold the camera. 1) Push very hard inward on the panel at the front end , this will cause the upper portion of the panel to buck out.

Afterwards, you can use a finger from the other hand and pry the panel outwards as you let your fingers do the walking along the edges. Pull hard enough to get the prongs to release.

This took me absolutely less than 20 seconds. ONCE YOU GET TO WHERE I AM IN THE 3RD PICTURE IS WHERE YOU NEED TO PULL EXTRA HARD AS THIS IS THE AREA WHERE THE PRONG WILL LET GO.

Be sure when replacing it , that the tabs line up with the holes or you'll will either bend or break something.

P.S. IF YOU DO HAVE ANY TROUBLE GETTING YOUR FINGER BEHIND THE PANEL, USE SOMETHING LIKE A POPSICLE STICK TO PRY IT OUT OR A BUTTER KNIFE. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TEAR THE LEATHER. DON'T BE AFRAID TO PRY IT OUT ESPECIALLY ONCE YOU WALK YOUR WAY AROUND TO THE 2:00 POSITION AS THAT IS APPROXIMATELY WHERE THE PRONG BEGINS TO LET GO.

Old 09-04-2008 | 06:54 PM

still waiting........................
Boss, I am still to recieve the harness and the module from Midcity. As soon as I do, I shall instantly update you.
Old 09-24-2008 | 10:18 PM

Needs to have video in car...

Hey guys, please help me out, I have a 2007 S550 and I want to start running video in my car. To use this Mid City module would i have to have the factory video system in my car? On my main screen I can bring up an option for audio DVD but no source for video DVD, I have the 6 disc changer in the dash, but not sure if that plays DVD's (don't think it does). If my car does not have the factory video system am I assed out? Please let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-24-2008 | 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDawg1-1
but not sure if that plays DVD's (don't think it does). If my car does not have the factory video system am I assed out? Please let me know what you guys think.
Have you tried it already or why do you write "don't think it does"???

If this is a US version of your Comand then it won't play movies!
Old 09-25-2008 | 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Hey guys, please help me out, I have a 2007 S550 and I want to start running video in my car. To use this Mid City module would i have to have the factory video system in my car? On my main screen I can bring up an option for audio DVD but no source for video DVD, I have the 6 disc changer in the dash, but not sure if that plays DVD's (don't think it does). If my car does not have the factory video system am I assed out? Please let me know what you guys think.
If your W221 does not play video when gear on park and parking brake engaged, the VIM module would not help (all it does is it makes Comand see speed at zero and brake on).

But you can always go for the Comand update, you would need to do that anyway sooner or later (enable current maps etc.).

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...ml#post2584395
Old 09-25-2008 | 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
You most likely have all of the hardware. My car is a 2007 also.
I had to go to the shop and have the technician update my comand system to the 2008 specifications. This adds the video function. After that , you're set and ready to install the VIM.
Old 10-01-2008 | 08:46 PM

2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
Hi Guys -- just did the install. Thanks for the posts on your experiences, especially the one regarding removing the fuse box panel! Now if can just get the back up cam installed ....
Old 10-01-2008 | 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by skymast
Hi Guys -- just did the install. Thanks for the posts on your experiences, especially the one regarding removing the fuse box panel! Now if can just get the back up cam installed ....
Hey Sky, I wish I could help you on that . I PM'd you that I've never done that. My car, of course, already has it. If someone gave me instructions, I could do it. You should see what I did to a VW Phaeton in order to install the keyless start button on one of those. I actually installed the keyless start button on 5 cars one weekend at my house and at another GTG in Chicago. Took 6 hours to do one car! Unbelievably tedious. Had to take the driver's seat out, center console, floor carpeting was 6" thick, and wiring it to the Kessy module was surgery. Got 'er done though.
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:03 AM

Boss, I am still to recieve the harness and the module from Midcity. As soon as I do, I shall instantly update you.

any Update yet
Old 12-02-2008 | 02:06 AM

any Update yet
Hi Sir,

I am sorry for the delay in updating you. I was away to London on work and only got back on Nov 21st. On Nov 22nd, I installed the new module but I made a careless mistake in installing the module. The ground wire was lose and I saw it touching some other part and a spark coming. I should have first taken off the fuse and only after installing everything, I should have put the fuse back. Anyway, once I did tighten the ground screw, and turned the ignition, I got an error that said "Park Assist Disabled" in the dashboard and on the right of the console a red light was permanently on under the Park Assist symbol. There was a constant beep also coming. I then removed the module and tried to start and turn off the ignition several times (without the module) but yet the warning would not go. The constant beep went off after about 30 secs. With the alarm constantly on the display the only choice was to drive over to the dealership and ask them to first fix the problem in the main control system to get rid of the "Park Assist disabled" alarm. As I started to drive, I found the car was not switching to any gear (it was stuck in first gear) and even though I accelerated the rpm would go up even upto 6000 but yet it would not switch to another gear. Nothing was working, not the distronic plus, speed sensing, etc. All warning indication were glowing at the same time in the car including the check engine light, etc. Some how I managed to drive at 20 MPH and got the car to the dealership. They said that there was a major short circuit in the COMAND system and they had to order a whole bunch of spares from Germany. The car has been with them since and I will be finally getting it back tomorrow. I will wait for a couple of days and try and reinstall the VIM with more care this time and update you. It has been quite a nightmare and the dealership too has in fact never thought the COMAND can be so complex that it could behave in such funny way to screw up the complete functioning of the car. I am sure that if I am careful the new module should work fine.
Old 12-02-2008 | 05:40 PM

Hi Sir,

I am sorry for the delay in updating you. I was away to London on work and only got back on Nov 21st. On Nov 22nd, I installed the new module but I made a careless mistake in installing the module. The ground wire was lose and I saw it touching some other part and a spark coming. I should have first taken off the fuse and only after installing everything, I should have put the fuse back. Anyway, once I did tighten the ground screw, and turned the ignition, I got an error that said "Park Assist Disabled" in the dashboard and on the right of the console a red light was permanently on under the Park Assist symbol. There was a constant beep also coming. I then removed the module and tried to start and turn off the ignition several times (without the module) but yet the warning would not go. The constant beep went off after about 30 secs. With the alarm constantly on the display the only choice was to drive over to the dealership and ask them to first fix the problem in the main control system to get rid of the "Park Assist disabled" alarm. As I started to drive, I found the car was not switching to any gear (it was stuck in first gear) and even though I accelerated the rpm would go up even upto 6000 but yet it would not switch to another gear. Nothing was working, not the distronic plus, speed sensing, etc. All warning indication were glowing at the same time in the car including the check engine light, etc. Some how I managed to drive at 20 MPH and got the car to the dealership. They said that there was a major short circuit in the COMAND system and they had to order a whole bunch of spares from Germany. The car has been with them since and I will be finally getting it back tomorrow. I will wait for a couple of days and try and reinstall the VIM with more care this time and update you. It has been quite a nightmare and the dealership too has in fact never thought the COMAND can be so complex that it could behave in such funny way to screw up the complete functioning of the car. I am sure that if I am careful the new module should work fine.
my friend take my advice, dump the module, before something else breaks down. for any reason if the dealership finds out you caused the problem with an aftermarket part. it will void the warranty and cost u a bundle.
Old 12-03-2008 | 12:59 AM

my friend take my advice, dump the module, before something else breaks down. for any reason if the dealership finds out you caused the problem with an aftermarket part. it will void the warranty and cost u a bundle.
Boss, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT in what you say and THANK YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVISE and it would be certainly mean a big blow to my wallet if they did that. Today when I got the car back, except the network they have changed/replaced at least 7 items (and I have a 5 page work sheet showing me what all has been done). The car works perfectly except that the VIM only works when in Park mode. The thing that tempts me to try connecting the module once again is (a) it is fun to have the VIM especially on long drives when there is little traffic (b) the fault was actually mine as I did not take care to tape that ground "ring" or even remove the fuse when I was hooking up the module. This time I shall be EXTRA CAREFUL and plan to only do so after a couple of days of observing the COMAND is working perfectly as it is supposed to be and ONLY then attempt anything. If it doesn't work even once or if I get even one alarm, I shall not attempt hooking this module any further.
Old 12-03-2008 | 04:31 PM

Boss, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT in what you say and THANK YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVISE and it would be certainly mean a big blow to my wallet if they did that. Today when I got the car back, except the network they have changed/replaced at least 7 items (and I have a 5 page work sheet showing me what all has been done). The car works perfectly except that the VIM only works when in Park mode. The thing that tempts me to try connecting the module once again is (a) it is fun to have the VIM especially on long drives when there is little traffic (b) the fault was actually mine as I did not take care to tape that ground "ring" or even remove the fuse when I was hooking up the module. This time I shall be EXTRA CAREFUL and plan to only do so after a couple of days of observing the COMAND is working perfectly as it is supposed to be and ONLY then attempt anything. If it doesn't work even once or if I get even one alarm, I shall not attempt hooking this module any further.
well good luck. hope it works well for u
Old 12-04-2008 | 03:21 PM

well good luck. hope it works well for u
Thank you SIR. Shall update you once I attempt it (some time next week).
Old 02-23-2009 | 09:31 AM

2012 CLS63 PP
You most likely have all of the hardware. My car is a 2007 also.
I had to go to the shop and have the technician update my comand system to the 2008 specifications. This adds the video function. After that , you're set and ready to install the VIM.

Hello Trumpet1,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask you...what did you tell the technician in order to get him to update the command system. I'm at my dealership right now getting some things taken care of and I mentioned to them that I wanted to get mine update and the first thing he stated was that he didn't think there was an update. As you can see this is close to a year after you reponded to someone else with the same issue and the dealership are still either in the dark or resisting the option for upgrading the system. Also does it make a difference that I have a 20G hard drive for my Nav?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by TDwayne69
Hello Trumpet1,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask you...what did you tell the technician in order to get him to update the command system. I'm at my dealership right now getting some things taken care of and I mentioned to them that I wanted to get mine update and the first thing he stated was that he didn't think there was an update. As you can see this is close to a year after you reponded to someone else with the same issue and the dealership are still either in the dark or resisting the option for upgrading the system. Also does it make a difference that I have a 20G hard drive for my Nav?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,
Sorry I'm late answering your question. Every dealership is probably going to act differently about this issue. I simply told my Service Advisor that my disc would not load up and therefore they upgraded my comand system complimentary for me since I've been a repeat customer and quite honestly they should have to do it by default. I didn't have to pay them anything for doing it. Once they upgraded the system, I upgraded my nav as well as added the video in motion module. I guess I was just lucky to some degree. Some folks have had to pay as much as $200 for the upgrade.

You might get them to do it out of courtesy if you time it while it is in for an oil change but that may be far out in the future for you.
However, they can't use the excuse that the upgrade doesn't exist because it does indeed exists.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

P.S.: I'll try to call my advisor and see what they say about this. I'll keep it on the down low.

As of 10/4/07 the current navigation update is MBUSA part # BQ 646 0231. For most if not all MY07 vehicles, you will need to update the Telematics system software for the navigation update to work properly. Here is the thing if you mention MBUSA DTB P-B-82.85/512d the Telematics update is free because the navigation DVD cannot properly load.

Purchase the navigation DVD then bring the vehicle in to service with the complaint that your navigation DVD will not load, mention the DTB, and the Telematics will be updated free. In addition, check with several dealerships to receive the lowest price on the navigation DVD.

(Konigster originally posted the above info. Thanks to the work of Konigster, I got my advisor to do the 2008 model flash update).

Last edited by trumpet1; 02-23-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2009 | 07:05 AM

2012 CLS63 PP
Tony,
Sorry I'm late answering your question. Every dealership is probably going to act differently about this issue. I simply told my Service Advisor that my disc would not load up and therefore they upgraded my comand system complimentary for me since I've been a repeat customer and quite honestly they should have to do it by default. I didn't have to pay them anything for doing it. Once they upgraded the system, I upgraded my nav as well as added the video in motion module. I guess I was just lucky to some degree. Some folks have had to pay as much as $200 for the upgrade.

You might get them to do it out of courtesy if you time it while it is in for an oil change but that may be far out in the future for you.
However, they can't use the excuse that the upgrade doesn't exist because it does indeed exists.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

P.S.: I'll try to call my advisor and see what they say about this. I'll keep it on the down low.

Hey Trumpet1,

At first the service tech tried to give me the run around until I explained to him what I was looking for then he states that they do have an upgrade for the audio which includes everything. Well I paid $140.00 for the upgrade and it took 4 hours for the car to update 36 items up to 2009 specifications. Now the audio, phone, nav, video, and few additional things have new features. The park and play for the video works perfect, well worth the money. Thanks again for all the info, so far these guys at dealership are clueless about what updates can be done nor what comes with them.

Tony
Old 02-24-2009 | 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by TDwayne69
Hey Trumpet1,

At first the service tech tried to give me the run around until I explained to him what I was looking for then he states that they do have an upgrade for the audio which includes everything. Well I paid $140.00 for the upgrade and it took 4 hours for the car to update 36 items up to 2009 specifications. Now the audio, phone, nav, video, and few additional things have new features. The park and play for the video works perfect, well worth the money. Thanks again for all the info, so far these guys at dealership are clueless about what updates can be done nor what comes with them.

Tony
$140 is not bad at all. Money well spent IMO. Good luck and enjoy the car!
Old 08-17-2009 | 08:40 PM

Finally got the VIM module and installed it. less than 10 mts install job. glad to report so far it works as promised. the pic quality is pretty good. my ten year old is very happy for it.
Old 01-02-2011 | 09:35 PM

2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
This thread is a year and a half old. But, I just got Telematics update on my 2007. Things are cool. Can someone direct me if the patch or piece referred to in this thread is still available and valid that allows a passenger to view the DVD while car is in motion? Thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: enable command DVD while moving for passanger