S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Color Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500; 2008 S550
Color Opinions

All--

I'm buying a new S550 and am interested in thoughts about color. I don't want black since there are many black S550's used as limos (at least in the NY area where I live). I don't want Iridium silver either since I have a 2005 SL500 that color. So, I'm considering Androrite and Flint Grey. Majestic black is a possibility but a bit blue for my tastes. What so you all think? Any other colors I should think about?

I want gray/gray interior.

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
The designo Graphite paint is pretty close between Andorite and Flint Grey.

I really like both Flint and Andorite Grey. The Flint is a little darker as I understand it than Andorite. In certain lights Andorite Grey can look a little silver (under those white/blue street lamps, I think).

Are you considering an S550 with the AMG Package, or a normal S550 body? I think this could have a lot to do with which color looks better as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Are you considering an S550 with the AMG Package, or a normal S550 body? I think this could have a lot to do with which color looks better as well.[/QUOTE]

ditto, if you get black with sport pkg, you wont be mistaken for a manhattan limo
Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Almost daily see an andorite grey/tan '07 S65 in my office pkg garage....it's a cool, greenish grey....fairly uncommon color....personally, would strongly consider andorite grey w/blk leather...

Would also consider that lighter interior colors will more easily reveal the lower-grade leather/headliner materials of S550....

May want to also consider/price new S600....new 600 mkt sounds soft....much more enjoyable tq and stronger brakes vs 550....and IMO, most elegant interior of any car on planet today at any price; 600 elegance is only rivaled by S65...and only slightly less ergonomic than S65 interior as lack of sport seats....
Old 03-01-2008, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Almost daily see an andorite grey/tan '07 S65 in my office pkg garage....it's a cool, greenish grey....fairly uncommon color....personally, would strongly consider andorite grey w/blk leather...

Would also consider that lighter interior colors will more easily reveal the lower-grade leather/headliner materials of S550....

May want to also consider/price new S600....new 600 mkt sounds soft....much more enjoyable tq and stronger brakes vs 550....and IMO, most elegant interior of any car on planet today at any price; 600 elegance is only rivaled by S65...and only slightly less ergonomic than S65 interior as lack of sport seats....
Totally agree! In fact, my dealership has one just like this in a CL version. A CL 65 is sitting right there ready for delivery. I really wish I could take this bad boy home.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A friend of mine just took delivery of a Majestic Black S550V4 with the beige interior and it looks great. It has just about every option including the sport package. After driving it I am now a huge fan of Distronic Plus and the new Blind Spot Monitor. The massaging seats are also something I like very much. Good Luck, you will soon have the benefit of driving a great car.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Totally agree! In fact, my dealership has one just like this in a CL version. A CL 65 is sitting right there ready for delivery. I really wish I could take this bad boy home.
Trumpet, I'm with you....am sooo tempted to get another new 65....

Unfortunately, I don't do a lot of daily-driving on fast fwys....am in city of SF (at <30MPH) on wkdays...and enjoy my mtn twisties driving every wkend AM, so 65 isn't ideal for my driving...but if I had that rather enjoyable 80mi+-roundtrip, daily SF-SiliconValley commute, a new CL65 would be a no-brainer....I do miss that addictive tq

Must say, the V12 guys....you, cjf and Z356...sure make me feel like I need to get a new V12 before the eco-police ban these for a few yrs....
Old 03-01-2008, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Trumpet, I'm with you....am sooo tempted to get another new 65....

Unfortunately, I don't do a lot of daily-driving on fast fwys....am in city of SF (at <30MPH) on wkdays...and enjoy my mtn twisties driving every wkend AM, so 65 isn't ideal for my driving...but if I had that rather enjoyable 80mi+-roundtrip, daily SF-SiliconValley commute, a new CL65 would be a no-brainer....I do miss that addictive tq

Must say, the V12 guys....you, cjf and Z356...sure make me feel like I need to get a new V12 before the eco-police ban these for a few yrs....

I thought I would never get a 12 cylinder car in my life. Just never gave it much thought and never thought I could afford one but after I owned that W12 Phaeton I was hooked on 12 cylinder smoothness.
Now with the MB V12, that is another dimension even above the VW with the power, torque, AND smoothness. I really can't imagine going back to anything else for the primary vehicle.

It is a thought you may want to seriously consider as far as grabbing what just might be the last of the very best engines ever to be built, especially at the prices they are at the moment (which is already pretty steep).
If I trade anytime within the next 2 years, I'll most likely get a 65AMG. Whether it is an S or a CL, I don't know. Most likely the S65 because of the roominess in the back seat. I'll just have to settle with the cross stitching which I feel is a little too fah fah for me but I'm sure I'd appreciate it once I had it.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Thoughtful advice, trumpet...much appreciated

Am hoping SL Blk this Fall will be a new-tech V12...we'll soon see....if not, may indeed get an '09 S/CL65....

This forum is amusing...many new car addicts goading each other to get latest/greatest cars....all kidding aside, though I've paid many steep deprec bills for my new car addiction, these new S/CL are IMO amazingly enjoyable/entertaining cars worth every penny (at least for a car nut)....despite my <<5mi daily commute and my boredom w/notion of driving anywhere more than 75mis from SF, I manage to find ways to drive 15K+ mis/yr on my cars, always looking for an excuse to hit my favorite stretches of high-speed fwys and mtn twisties....in many ways, I wish I had a daily, 80mi+ round-trip SF-SiliconValley commute.....
Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by WSH
Thoughtful advice, trumpet...much appreciated

Am hoping SL Blk this Fall will be a new-tech V12...we'll soon see....if not, may indeed get an '09 S/CL65....

This forum is amusing...many new car addicts goading each other to get latest/greatest cars....all kidding aside, though I've paid many steep deprec bills for my new car addiction, these new S/CL are IMO amazingly enjoyable/entertaining cars worth every penny (at least for a car nut)....despite my <<5mi daily commute and my boredom w/notion of driving anywhere more than 75mis from SF, I manage to find ways to drive 15K+ mis/yr on my cars, always looking for an excuse to hit my favorite stretches of high-speed fwys and mtn twisties....in many ways, I wish I had a daily, 80mi+ round-trip SF-SiliconValley commute.....
I don't drive that much either but I still feel great about owning such beautiful pieces of drivable art.
As far as that SL, I thought of you Friday morning while I was at my dealership and asked my salesman about that "new" SL that of 2009. He said that the SL that is coming out with the modified headlights that you and I discussed a week or so ago is nothing more than a final refresh of the current SL. He said the completely new design won't come out until 2010 (I think) and that it will look entirely different. May want to check and be sure you're getting the next series and not just a late refresh of the same car.
I read the same article that you did and thought it was the new designed SL but based on what my salesman said, it's not. I hope this isn't misguided info, I'm just passing on to you what I heard.
Let us know what you hear.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by trumpet1
I don't drive that much either but I still feel great about owning such beautiful pieces of drivable art.
As far as that SL, I thought of you Friday morning while I was at my dealership and asked my salesman about that "new" SL that of 2009. He said that the SL that is coming out with the modified headlights that you and I discussed a week or so ago is nothing more than a final refresh of the current SL. He said the completely new design won't come out until 2010 (I think) and that it will look entirely different. May want to check and be sure you're getting the next series and not just a late refresh of the same car.
I read the same article that you did and thought it was the new designed SL but based on what my salesman said, it's not. I hope this isn't misguided info, I'm just passing on to you what I heard.
Let us know what you hear.
Salesman is partly correct....

It's a mid-cycle styling refresh to pump up lethargic SL sales...

But biggest (and prob a dynamically interesting) tech change is the MCT gearbox that's in SL63....if SL63 didn't have this seemingly cool new tech I wouldn't get an SL....I'm not a convertible guy (too much of a safety fanatic to ever feel very comfortable w/elevated risks, even in a retractable hardtop)....and '09 SL still has elderly tech like Dist, no DistPlus/BrakeAssistLink/BlindSpotAssist....so have to endure those ugly, archaic Parktronic bulletholes....

My SL63 030 is supposedly ?early Apr completion, so should be able to report back in ?May on how worthwhile is this MCT box...

Am hearing rumors that this MCT box was developed for the SL Blk, due this Fall (w/an unknown motor...?new V12).....not clear that MCT box will be put in '09 AMG S/CL.....

If '09 CL63 had MCT box, would def get new '09 CL63 030, rather than SL63 030....