S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Loaner car lessons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Loaner car lessons

Generally have only one car in my garage and it's used daily for both mundane commuting and my wkend mtn twisties drives; haven't kept a car for much >5K mis in yrs....partly b/c have zero tolerance for mtce downtime/hassles/loaner cars (and I really enjoy exploring dynamics/nuances of latest-tech cars and aesthetics of pristine, new cars)....today was reminded why....

Had to take in my 9K mi CL63 030 for first oil change and new rear tires today.....to my usually exemplary dealer where they've consistently provided me superb sales/svc for yrs....

Got an E350 loaner car (w/6K mis) for day.....been ?1-2 yrs since I've driven a non-perf car.....was astounded on my 20mi drive back to SF from dealer on an urban fwy.....was scared to drive much above 65MPH (how do people confidently drive SUVs/econoboxes at high speeds??? Ignorance is bliss perhaps....).....sloppy steering, spongy brakes, no chassis control.....and amazingly poor ride, just crashes through any imperfections on road.....astonishing that a sloppily-controlled chassis w/girlie tires/wheels would have such a bone-jarring ride vs a CL63 (on 20" wheels and low-profile perf tires), which almost glides over that nonsense, while offering superbly-balanced precision/stability.....and loaner cars (no matter how well cleaned btwn uses) always have a nasty smell....a mix of lots of plastics and miscellaneous rental car odors which one prob doesn't want to fully contemplate....

Net, net, reminded today why new-gen S/CL w/ABC (esp if have AMG chassis/brakes) are such brilliantly engineered machines worth every penny....and, in my case, why I've generally avoided ever having to drive a loaner car of any sort....and prefer to simply get a new AMG S/CL/SL every 4-6mos.....suddenly, my AMG deprec bills seem very reasonable....
Old 03-07-2008, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by WSH
Generally have only one car in my garage and it's used daily for both mundane commuting and my wkend mtn twisties drives; haven't kept a car for much >5K mis in yrs....partly b/c have zero tolerance for mtce downtime/hassles/loaner cars (and I really enjoy exploring dynamics/nuances of latest-tech cars and aesthetics of pristine, new cars)....today was reminded why....

Had to take in my 9K mi CL63 030 for first oil change and new rear tires today.....to my usually exemplary dealer where they've consistently provided me superb sales/svc for yrs....

Got an E350 loaner car (w/6K mis) for day.....been ?1-2 yrs since I've driven a non-perf car.....was astounded on my 20mi drive back to SF from dealer on an urban fwy.....was scared to drive much above 65MPH (how do people confidently drive SUVs/econoboxes at high speeds??? Ignorance is bliss perhaps....).....sloppy steering, spongy brakes, no chassis control.....and amazingly poor ride, just crashes through any imperfections on road.....astonishing that a sloppily-controlled chassis w/girlie tires/wheels would have such a bone-jarring ride vs a CL63 (on 20" wheels and low-profile perf tires), which almost glides over that nonsense, while offering superbly-balanced precision/stability.....and loaner cars (no matter how well cleaned btwn uses) always have a nasty smell....a mix of lots of plastics and miscellaneous rental car odors which one prob doesn't want to fully contemplate....

Net, net, reminded today why new-gen S/CL w/ABC (esp if have AMG chassis/brakes) are such brilliantly engineered machines worth every penny....and, in my case, why I've generally avoided ever having to drive a loaner car of any sort....and prefer to simply get a new AMG S/CL/SL every 4-6mos.....suddenly, my AMG deprec bills seem very reasonable....
Welcome to the real World...
Btw,we all get used to good things very quickly and start to take them for granted,it's hard to take a step back.....
Old 03-07-2008, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
i just got a c300 loaner and the seats are flat, unsupportive, won't even go back enought for my legs and i am only 5'11. can't see wanting a c class.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
You guys get the good loaners man.
My dealer will usually give me a 230 or 1 something that they have on the lot for loan. I would be happy to get the E350, that's a nice car but certainly not as nice as the 63 which is more than double the price.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Audi A8L/ F350 Truck
Originally Posted by WSH

Good points I have another of the many reasons why I switched to A from S.
My Audi A8L has been in for service just a couple of times and each time I get an equal loaner. Bring in and A8, Borrower and A8 I love it. I wish I could switch my username to ColoradoA8L. Still love all my buddies here at the MB and check in from time to time. What's up brothers!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by coloradosclass
Good points I have another of the many reasons why I switched to A from S.
My Audi A8L has been in for service just a couple of times and each time I get an equal loaner. Bring in and A8, Borrower and A8 I love it. I wish I could switch my username to ColoradoA8L. Still love all my buddies here at the MB and check in from time to time. What's up brothers!!!!
Now that's service. Lovely luxurious and safe vehicle, the A8. You have a great dealer my friend.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Tell us what is the crappy dealer? I never got E350 as a loaner.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
how come when i bring my 2003 C320 coupe for service, most of the time they gave me a Hertz rental car? haha
Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
WSH - Wait a minute - you don't drive a car for more than 5000 miles, and...... you get a new car every 4-6 months.

Now tell me I read that incorrectly.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLS450, 2021 Porsche 911 Cab
Hope the e class bunch doesn't read this post.. I don't think they will like getting their cars compared to econoboxes.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
The last time I was given a loaner car from my dealership, I stumbled upon a checkbook full of checks in the console while looking for an ink pen. I called the guy (a doctor) using the phone number printed on the checks and told him I'd be glad to drop them by his house as I was fairly familiar with his area and he said just drop them off at the dealership. I never heard from him again.

I guess he was afraid I was scamming him. I would have jumped for joy and said meet me at XXXXX gas station or something.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:32 PM

04 S430 4Matic/03 Ml 320/ 98' E320 4matic/ 73' slc 450/ 05 cherokee
tell me why i get an 07 camry as a loaner?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Obviously a dealer just downgrades by 1-2 levels, so if you have AMG, then you will get a regular E, if you have E, then you will get C, if you have C, then you will get Ford focus or Camry.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by Dema
Obviously a dealer just downgrades by 1-2 levels, so if you have AMG, then you will get a regular E, if you have E, then you will get C, if you have C, then you will get Ford focus or Camry.
Certain Audi dealers will give you an A8 if you have an A6. This is due to confidence that their top product will wow you and you'll get one.

I've got a friend who bought a $100k+ M5 and the same dealer won't even guarantee him 3 series when he brings it in. Way to keep the customer coming back for more...
Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 PM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
The dealer here in Toronto gives an R 500. Not bad.
It's when you're in another city and rent a Hertz vehicle. No that is a bum ride. Even their "prestige" doesn't make the grade in my opinion.
spoiled or what?