S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Keyless Go question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by BoushiBimmer
oh, so basically like a WiFi card right? Thought you were stealing internet, wanted in on it for some strange urge of a reason lol.
Somewhat similar
Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Originally Posted by BoushiBimmer
Wait, the car stays running even if the Transponder is out of range? Thats not good. My Brother has a Jaguar and I believe that if you walk away it will just turn off. In case you get out of the car to get something and someone jumps in and takes off. Thats just crazy.
Why would anyone walk away from an unattended running car?
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Really nice and I can easily see this being added to the S class in future cars (of course only when the car is in Park).
GSM data already was supported even by an E-class (Euro model) but MB made the mistake that they implemented a WAP browser on the COMAND while the cell phone world quickly changed to "real internet". WAP allows limited browsing and specifically is restricted to the content the operator wants to provide.

I guess the problem for internet browsing through COMAND would mainly be the browser implementation. But this starts to be a bit off topic from KG.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by BlackMamba24
I don't know about that Eddie Knopp...i've been in this situation countless times as i drop my wife off at a store (for instance) and she has the key in her purse. I drive off and go somewhere else only to realize that she still has the key and even though the red light has come on telling me the key is not there, the car does not shut down or immobilize. I've come to complete stops and whatever...only issue obviously is that when you turn the car off, you can't turn it on again, which, fortunately, i haven't had to deal with yet...
Trust me - it happened to my wife's E350 and verified by MB - pissed is an understatement as to how she felt. she had driven for about 20 minutes first. Clearly it should intermittently remind you.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by ///MB
Why would anyone walk away from an unattended running car?
In So. Cal I can see you asking that - in the cold weather - we tend to warm up the cars.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Eddie Knopp
Trust me - it happened to my wife's E350 and verified by MB - pissed is an understatement as to how she felt. she had driven for about 20 minutes first. Clearly it should intermittently remind you.
I completely agree! There should be a visual warning and an audibly announced warning that you are driving without the key and that turning the engine OFF will cause you to be immobilized. It should come across the stereo speakers with the voice similar to the nav voice. This is truly a major oversite. Great feature, but obviously errors were not thought out enough.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:31 PM

2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Originally Posted by Eddie Knopp
In So. Cal I can see you asking that - in the cold weather - we tend to warm up the cars.
That's true. It was mainly a response to Boushi's post saying that the Jag's system that shuts the car down is better vs. the S staying on, when you walk away with the key.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
It's a safety feature not to stall the car just by walking away. Would if you walked away from the car and your spouse drives off into a busy intersection without the key and the car shuts off while cars are headed right towards her/him???!!! Serious litigation would ensue from that.
That's why MB decided it would be best to allow the car to continue running until the operator is at a safe place first.

BTW, I saw firsthand and in person the new Jaguar today on the floor of a convention I'm attending. Not impressed.

Last edited by trumpet1; 04-11-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by trumpet1
BTW, I saw firsthand and in person the new Jaguar today on the floor of a convention I'm attending. Not impressed.
Just wait until the new owner, Tata, gets finished with it. This is the kind of car they produce:

http://indigo.tatamotors.com/indigocs/specs.asp
Old 04-11-2008, 06:28 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by whoover
Just wait until the new owner, Tata, gets finished with it. This is the kind of car they produce:

http://indigo.tatamotors.com/indigocs/specs.asp
Suspect world's best cars will continue to be engineered and built in Germany by MB and Porsche, at least for our lifetime....hopefully, enough smart, recent engineering grads choose to work in auto industry, as opposed to migrating to SiliconValley for far more lucrative careers in tech industry....

Test-driving various high-end brands like AM, B, etc quickly confirms how inept are many mfrs, no matter price point....they are really just aspirational costume jewelry masquerading as a car....and most customers are clueless, so brand mystique can perpetuate sales of engineering POS cars for some time....

Though US is home of vast majority of world's smartest engineers, I don't believe US has engineered a competent car of any sort in at least 40yrs....doubt many smart engineers ever chose to work in the sclerotic US auto industry....

And for past 40yrs, smartest grads of India's IITs have been coming to Stanford/Berkeley (and MIT) for grad school....and I suspect 99%+ of such elite engineers have chosen to live/work in SiliconValley....so I doubt India has any competent engineers who would choose careers in the commoditized, sclerotic, low-paying auto industry....
Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by WSH
Test-driving various high-end brands like AM, B, etc quickly confirms how inept are many mfrs, no matter price point....they are really just aspirational costume jewelry masquerading as a car....and most customers are clueless, so brand mystique can perpetuate sales of engineering POS cars for some time....
It is so true,
but somehow, sadly enough not everybody sees it this way...
BM cars speak for themselves, the others are using old Goebbelian routine.