S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

windows go down when fully up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
windows go down when fully up

Anyone else have a problem with the windows going down when fully up ?

My auto up doesnt work and when I press and hold up and get to the top it goes down automatically

Oh well..I guess some things have to go wrong once in a while. Car has been great for 12000 miles though.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Oh lord! This is quite the head scratcher

Time to have a serious talk with your service tech/manager.

And ..... I hope this is not the start of the infamous problems that the W220 had

Oh, and BTW, since you own an S600 do you mind showing us some pics. of your head rests and updating this thread with any info you might have? Thanks!

Last edited by AustinGuy; 05-13-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by cmcjo

My auto up doesnt work and when I press and hold up and get to the top it goes down automatically

Oh well..I guess some things have to go wrong once in a while. Car has been great for 12000 miles though.

I find that the W221 window issues to be much improved over the previous models, however, it sounds like the motion limit of your windows needs to be reset. The way this was fixed on previous Mercedes models is to fully press down on the window switch to make the affected window go all the way down but even after it has reached the bottom, continue to hold the switch down for an additional 10 seconds. Then press the switch all the way to make the window go back up to the upmost position and once again keep the button depressed an additional 10 seconds even though the window has reached the top.
What this does is it resets the travel distance so that the motor knows when to stop. Give it a try before going to the dealer.

If this doesn't take care of it, usually they replace the window motor. It also sounds as if the pinch protection is kicking in erroneously. The above technique usually takes care of this problem.

This also works for the trunk lid if it ever does this.

Last edited by trumpet1; 05-13-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 AM

2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
Hey thanks Trump.
I thought I messed up on those directions but whatever I did seemed to fix it for now.

THANKS
Old 05-18-2008, 02:59 PM

2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
I believe Trumpet is quite right. I think this reset idea works for the sunroof as well.
btw, I kept trying this reset on the sunroof so that it would be a one touch close. But apparently no more? I suppose someone sued MB for the roof closing so they eliminated this feature on newer models.
Anyone have a one touch closing sunroof?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by carsnob
I believe Trumpet is quite right. I think this reset idea works for the sunroof as well.
btw, I kept trying this reset on the sunroof so that it would be a one touch close. But apparently no more? I suppose someone sued MB for the roof closing so they eliminated this feature on newer models.
My June07-built CL has one-touch S/R closing....

Actually, I'm surprised US litigation risks haven't caused safety-conscious MB to re-think such absurd inventions as sunroofs/Pano roofs....I never drive w/roof or windows open....and hate the compromise of struc rigidity/roof strength that even a closed S/R or Pano roof provides in any serious collision/rollover....

But, then again, F manages to sell 4300lb POS cars like 612 that still lack side/head airbags; and the 4000lb $1MM+ VW Veyron lacks side/head airbags, so US litigation risks perhaps aren't as onerous as popularly claimed, but I digress....
Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
I believe the SR has one touch, but the pano does not - that's standard thru-out the MB line.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
My car has an October 2006 build date. I only have one-touch opening of the front sunroof, but I do not have one-touch closing of the front sunroof. To open or close the rear sunroof using the front switch located up by the rearview mirror requires a full closure in order to reverse it and fully open it, or vice versa, a full opening before allowing it to reverse to close. In other words, you can't switch directions of its movement mid-motion.
On the other hand, the rear door switches controlling the rear sunroof allow for changes in direction of the sunroof no matter where it is along its travel.
There is no one-touch open/close of the rear sunroof no matter what switch you use throughout the car.
Why there is no one-touch option in closing is beyond my understanding

Why Mercedes limits these options , as simple as they are, on one model to the next is very strange to me. American cars, for the most part, have it right the first time it's introduced. It's a shame my friends GMC ACADIA has almost every option my S600 has on it but without the aggravating shortcomings for 1/3 the price! The ACADIA has rear camera, heads-up display (something not on my car), has voice activated everything, heated/cooled seats, pano sunroof with shades/roofs that open and close with one touch and allow for change in directions mid-way in its motion, a navigation system every bit as good as the MBs, parking sensors all around, it does not have adaptive cruise control but I bet an option package of it probably will come along soon, and the GMC has a terrific comfy ride.

Last edited by trumpet1; 05-19-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
The basic sunroof has the "open completely" as well as the "close completely" functions but for some reason the pano roof does not have the "close completely" feature. Is there any safety difference with these two, I cannot see any other reason why MB has it for the basic sunroof but not for the pano roof.

The basic sunroof also closes from Pre-Safe (leaves a small safety gap) but this is not mentioned in the manual for the pano roof. The same with the rain sensing feature, the basic roof closes if it starts raining (closes and raises from the rear to protect against rain but keep on some ventilation eif e.g. children or pets are at the car).

Operating the sliding/tilting sunroof
To open To close To raise To lower Make sure the key is in position 1 or 2 in the ignition lock.

Opening

To open manually: press and hold the switch in the direction of arrow until the sliding/tilting sunroof and the cover are in the desired position.
To open completely: press the switch briefly beyond the pressure point in the direction of arrow and release it.
The sliding/tilting sunroof opens up to the position in which it was stopped last.
To stop: press the switch in any direction.

If the switch is pressed again after stopping, the sliding/tilting sunroof is fully opened.

Closing

To close manually: press and hold the switch in the direction of arrow until the sliding/tilting sunroof has moved to the desired position.
To close completely: press the switch briefly beyond the pressure point in the direction of arrow and release it.
Close the cover if necessary more.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The basic sunroof has the "open completely" as well as the "close completely" functions but for some reason the pano roof does not have the "close completely" feature. Is there any safety difference with these two, I cannot see any other reason why MB has it for the basic sunroof but not for the pano roof.

The basic sunroof also closes from Pre-Safe (leaves a small safety gap) but this is not mentioned in the manual for the pano roof. The same with the rain sensing feature, the basic roof closes if it starts raining (closes and raises from the rear to protect against rain but keep on some ventilation eif e.g. children or pets are at the car).

Operating the sliding/tilting sunroof
To open To close To raise To lower Make sure the key is in position 1 or 2 in the ignition lock.

Opening

To open manually: press and hold the switch in the direction of arrow until the sliding/tilting sunroof and the cover are in the desired position.
To open completely: press the switch briefly beyond the pressure point in the direction of arrow and release it.
The sliding/tilting sunroof opens up to the position in which it was stopped last.

If the switch is pressed again after stopping, the sliding/tilting sunroof is fully opened.

Closing

To close manually: press and hold the switch in the direction of arrow until the sliding/tilting sunroof has moved to the desired position.
To close completely: press the switch briefly beyond the pressure point in the direction of arrow and release it.
Close the cover if necessary more.
My switch does not have that "pressure point" in the forward direction to allow for one-touch closing. I do have the "pressure point" in the backward direction for opening. Does anyone else with a 2007 besides me experience it like this?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by carsnob

Sorry, I forgot you mentioned it before. So I'm not the only one.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by cmcjo

Ya iv seen it, on Saab's, Honda's BMW's and Benz. So I cant say what it might be but its not excusive to Benz.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by trumpet1
My switch does not have that "pressure point" in the forward direction to allow for one-touch closing. I do have the "pressure point" in the backward direction for opening. Does anyone else with a 2007 besides me experience it like this?
But I thought you had the pano roof, no pressure point should exist on that one. The quote from the on-line manual was for the basic sunroof. According to the current on-line manual, this feature is not available for the pano-roof (no idea why).
Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
Ya iv seen it, on Saab's, Honda's BMW's and Benz. So I cant say what it might be but its not excusive to Benz.
It is a safety feature, the windows back up if they hit an object when closing, to release the object. This could happen if the windows do not move smoothly (more common with the sun-roof which needs lubrication at this point).

This was a new car, should not be a mechanical/lubrication issue. I'm guessing there was a bit of dirt or a small object either on top of the window glass or at the door frame where the glass enters, blocking it from fully closing. Now after a new calibration it adapts and takes into account the dirt. I would check the door frame. Of course it could be just the controller loosing the correct calibration data, not loosing calibration completely like when battery is disconnected (never heard of that though).
Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
But I thought you had the pano roof, no pressure point should exist on that one. The quote from the on-line manual was for the basic sunroof. According to the current on-line manual, this feature is not available for the pano-roof (no idea why).
You're right, I have the pano roof. I didn't realize that the on-line manual quote was for the non-pano roof cars. Thanks for clearing that up for us. That is weird how the pano-roof folks don't get the pressure point position on the switch. That really has nothing to do with a rear roof screen. Again, one of those mysteries we may never understand.