S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

My new S550...and Dunkin Donuts rant...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550 4matic
My new S550...and Dunkin Donuts rant...

Well I just had my S550 4matic delivered today, it was very exciting, I barely slept a wink last night (sorry, it was this 22 year old's first car purchase [and no I'm not some spoiled rich kid, I was not gifted any money from parents or relatives to buy a car, just a lot of hard work], perhaps the anticipation of the delivery wears with the years...). Anyways, overall I love the car. I ended up going white with java, P2, mudflaps and chrome door inserts which surprisingly I think really set the car off. Its funny because I was dead seat on AMG kit with Pano sunroof, but the more I looked at the AMG kit, the less classy looking it became in my eye...seriously, why did MB choose that black plastic mesh grill in the front bumper instead of the nice metal mesh they use in their AMG styled coupes! So I chose to avoid the "plastic fantastic" (just my opinion though I know a lot of you love the AMG styling, so no offense, different cars for different tastes!) in the end. A long drawn out decision, but I couldn't be happier.
So anyways, the point of all this, I have two mussings. One is fairly minor and could perhaps be fixed in a future Command Software Update...and that has to do with the iPod control. It works ok from the steering wheel, but it sort of seems clunky compared to the Command system, I'd really love to see Mercedes integrate playlists and track lists onto the Command screen.
The second, and major, complaint for me, and I think those of you from NE will agree here, is the lack of Dunkin Donut POI's in the Nav system. Seriously, when I'm driving somewhere unknown, the java urge kicks in, I need my Dunkin fix! Sigh, I guess we can't have it all. I'm tempted to get the Tele-aid luxury concierge service just so they can look a DD up for me! (BTW, anyone who has the luxury Teleaid have any comments or feedback?)
Attached Thumbnails My new S550...and Dunkin Donuts rant...-img_6145-v4.jpg  
Old 06-18-2008, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
congrats..

but u need some 20s & drop asap
Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Congrats on the new S550....

Been getting new AMG CLs since my early 20s....and dozens of new AMG/F/P's later, still more enthralled at prospect of getting another new AMG CL (am awaiting '09 CL65 in ?Aug) than any other new car on planet, no matter price....and still look fwd to the charismatic sound of my CL63 030 every time I start it, even for my mundane, daily 2-3mi urban commute....

The iPod interface of S/CL is so screwed up b/c MB decided late in development process to incl iPod functionality, so it's clearly a sloppily pasted-on function...would presume in mid-cycle update (?Spr09) MB will more elegantly integrate iPod function into Comand....

Don't recall much about the POI functionality of the nav system (I've almost never used my nav system after quickly scanning/testing its latest features when I took deliv of my latest CL)....

BTW, no need to be defensive about who paid for car.....know many moronic, self-proclaimed "self-made" guys, as well as moronic trust fund guys....as well as many smart, high-achieving examples of both categories.....IMO, if I choose to have kids, wouldn't ever transport them in anything less safe than a new S63/65, nor would I give a kid anything less safe than a new S63 as a first car (obviously after doing my best to instill excellent driving skills/judgment....and, if the kid screws up or some other driver causes a collision, I'd want latest AMG active/passive safety tech protecting him to minimize odds of life-long, post-crash disabilities)....
Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
An S550 at 22? But where do you go from here for the rest of your life? Congratulations on your purchase!

Agreed that the iPod interface is clunky.. definitely first generation.. my main irritant is its slowness... I flip though my playlists so quickly that I often end up selecting the wrong song because it can't keep up... You do get used to it though... a insignificant blemish on an otherwise superlative vehicle...

It was (is) my hope that car manufacturers can increasingly integrate this type of functionality into a generic software interface which can be updated periodically with dot versions... How do you feel about driving an S550.3.1?

I would suggest that any money spent on Teleaid Luxury Conicege Service is money wasted... You will probably rarely use it as the navigation is fine for most destinations (DD aside) .. and if DD is that vital list them out in mapquest and download into your palm device or something...

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 06-19-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Your in Luck. My wife is the Western US marketing manager for Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts. I will pass your info to her and see what they can do to update all Mercedes software. This will make the car complete.

Last edited by vonbeeler; 06-19-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,439 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Alexander_B86
Well I just had my S550 4matic delivered today / lack of Dunkin Donut POI's
Congratulations and best of luck.

NAVTEQ Map Reporter
http://navteq.com –> Map Reporter link -> POI
Old 06-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,439 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
My wife is the Western US marketing manager for Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts. I will pass your info to her and see what they can do to update all Mercedes software.
NAVTEQ Business Support
http://www.navteq.com/support/direct.html

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Congrats on the new vehicle -- very gorgeous indeed! ...and I know exactly how you feel. I didn't sleep at all the night before I picked up my new baby and since I'm currently in grad school, my classes took a one week back-burner while I worked out the financing and played with all of the new features.

Nice to meet another DD addict ;-)

Best of luck and MANY MANY happy years/miles of driving!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 GL450 / 08 S550 4matic
congrats

beautiful car
congrats
Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM

i like to ride my bike
congrats..you chose very well with this color combo!

the mudflaps actually tell us that you are not the average 22 year old
Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM

2008 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by ProV1
congrats..

but u need some 20s & drop asap
Gross. Going for a class act.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM

2008 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
An S550 at 22? But where do you go from here for the rest of your life? Congratulations on your purchase!

Agreed that the iPod interface is clunky.. definitely first generation.. my main irritant is its slowness... I flip though my playlists so quickly that I often end up selecting the wrong song because it can't keep up... You do get used to it though... a insignificant blemish on an otherwise superlative vehicle...

It was (is) my hope that car manufacturers can increasingly integrate this type of functionality into a generic software interface which can be updated periodically with dot versions... How do you feel about driving an S550.3.1?

I would suggest that any money spent on Teleaid Luxury Conicege Service is money wasted... You will probably rarely use it as the navigation is fine for most destinations (DD aside) .. and if DD is that vital list them out in mapquest and download into your palm device or something...

Chris

My dad asked me the same question! I test drove a Bentley a few weeks back just to see what they were all about, nice car and all, but as a daily driver, I'll probably stick to S classes for life now! I'm not a sports car kid or anything. Maybe a CL for a weekender or something. But for the next 5 years I'll just be enjoying this one!

The updated iPod interface looks better, itching at the bit for that. I would take a dot version, as long as I can put the dotted numerals on the back of the car, lol!

The T.C. service...I sprung for, and I have to say I love it. I use it at least twice a day just for traffic info, I find it easier than entering nav destinations by hand, yes I'm getting THAT lazy haha, and they can look up DD too!

vonbeeler, thanks for passing on the word!

dalazernet, congrats on teh C, looks great! I think if I had gotten her before grad school finished, I probably wouldn't have finished, haha, gave me something to reach for!

F_Porsche: lol!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
so what is it that you're doing that you are purchasing (not leasing) a $9x,xxx vehicle at 22?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 AM

To many to list!
Originally Posted by Oliverk
so what is it that you're doing that you are purchasing (not leasing) a $9x,xxx vehicle at 22?
What ever he is doing he is doing it correctly and the money is coming in . Congrats on your S550 purchase you will enjoy the vehicle have fun!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 PM

2007 S550 AMG with ABC
The first year of Tele-Aid is free. More convenient than the Concierge feature is the Send to Car feature on both google and yahoo maps.

http://www.searchandsend.com

I use that facility all the time to download directions into the Nav in the car.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Interesting, CEO of my company just turned 25. He already made about $20M. He started at 22 delivering software system for lead generation. So age means nothing for successful business.