S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S600 Long Distance Cruise - Impressions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
S600 Long Distance Cruise - Impressions...

Last weekend I made my first longer distance cruise in the S600... Though I have had the car since September 2007 I have generally only being doing local trips up to 100 miles... this one was 480 miles south of the Bay Area, the route being about 2/5th freeway, 1/5th urban roads, and 2/5th very winding coastal/cliff top roads... (The Pacific Coast Highway south of Big Sur)

The drive really reinforced that long distance is the sweet spot for an S600... For example, after 100 miles my fuel efficiency was running at 20.3 mpg which is pretty good for a 5000 lb TT V12 sedan with passengers sometimes derided as a "guzzler..." It's better than many SUV's and trucks... and this was not idling along at 55 mph either but at freeway speeds up to 80 mph with frequent maneuvers... In local driving, I find that 17/18 mpg is the usual and the S600 seems to need longer to wind up to optimal efficiency... The result in this case was that I did the entire 480 mile trip on one tank of gas... (Just though! I thought I would need to push to get the final few miles to my house) ...and the government slaps on $3,500 Gas Guzzler tax to the price

Now 90 miles of cliff edge driving on the Pacific Coast Highway can be pretty tiring and a continuous hour of tight corners and curves can sometimes make passengers throw up... but the way in which the S-Class ABC suspension dials out those subtle motions that create car sickness and nausea is amazingly impressive... at least my passengers seemed to think so - all of whom got out refreshed and with their breakfast intact!

The driving experience was so relaxed I could really enjoy the scenery and also revel in the sheer pleasure of driving - all in air conditioned back massaged luxury. Though I often came up behind an RV or rental car tourist crawling along at 40 mpg, as soon as it was safe, a quick blast on the V12 and the problem faded into the distance in my rear view. At one point I blasted by 6 cars and 1 RV at once... though I always have to consciously pull out first before putting my foot down, otherwise I would ram straight into the car in front - such is the acceleration.

If you have an S600 (or ABC S550) and have not taken it for a really long distance tour over varying road conditions - do so! I do not know of anything comparable to its combination of sheer performance, ride comfort, agility, luxury, space for passengers and luggage, that combines so well with the sheer joy of driving and yet leaves you feeling physically as good as when you started. Many cars have some of these qualities. but nothing else I know of has all of them... So impressed I had to write about it!

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 07-28-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:09 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
cjf, thx for a great write-up....indeed, these cars amaze in so many dimensions....
Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Thanks Chris. I took a 1250 mile trip once and I know how you feel. What I can't understand is why is it that stone chips on the front windshield always happen on a long trip and never when I'm driving around my local interstate jaunts??

Anyway, it is quite unfair we have to pay the gas guzzler tax. My car gets exactly the same gas mileage yours does. I really feel that the W221 is the best built and designed car that will exist for many years to come. It stands out way beyond the rest. If the next S class makes leaps and bounds like this one did, we are in for a real treat in 2013 or so.

I laughed when you mentioned having to pull aside from the line of cars BEFORE pressing the accelerator in fear of ramming their rear-ends. I know exactly what you're talking about.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Chris - A pleasure to read ! I am big believer in ABC to the point that I would have to put it at the top of any MB option list. Although a bit pricey when not included in the base price (600's and most CL's - CL550 is now 4matic??), ABC is the most important option for anyone who enjoys driving. I'm such an advocate that I think MB should emblazen an "ABC" metal logo for the outside of ABC equipped vehicles. BTW, my CL63, a much slower vehicle** than the 600, recently ran at 23 mpg on a 250 mile trip on I-95. I sure did pass a lot of Prius's though.

Nice write-up !

**subject to review
Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Chris - A pleasure to read ! I am big believer in ABC to the point that I would have to put it at the top of any MB option list. Although a bit pricey when not included in the base price (600's and most CL's - CL550 is now 4matic??), ABC is the most important option for anyone who enjoys driving. I'm such an advocate that I think MB should emblazen an "ABC" metal logo for the outside of ABC equipped vehicles. BTW, my CL63, a much slower vehicle** than the 600, recently ran at 23 mpg on a 250 mile trip on I-95. I sure did pass a lot of Prius's though. Nice write-up !
Thanks! I think ABC is definitely the hardest feature in which to quantify its true value from any short acquaintanceship with the car. (Such as a test drive) Though ABC dialing out the body roll in tight corners is quickly apparent, it is increasingly clear to me that the real benefits come on longer journeys. In most cars after 200-300 miles I feel I have been through a wringer and just want to walk, lie down, anything...

....with ABC it is like I have spent the afternoon in a relaxing comfortable chair in the library... and it is nothing to do with "softness" of ride... A Lexus is cushier/softer than my S600 with 19" wheels and low profile tires... The S600 is definitely firmer and more fun to drive... No, it is how the active ride seems to dial out all those tiny imperceptible rocking motions that create travel weariness and nausea... Feeling completely refreshed and not wanting to stop after going over 300 miles without stopping - especially the tight curves and bends of the Pacific Coast Highway, was amazing... it's a kind of magic!

...I recall some of the marketing for the S-Class saying that your heart will beat more slowly or something. I can believe it... Love the ABC badge idea!

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 07-29-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
If ABC isn't good enough, keep in mind the upcoming technology that I've read is coming to the next S class...the sensors that will detect flaws and dips in the road ahead , priming the suspension to react accordingly so that the passengers basically will never know the bump/hump is there!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Great posts, the S600 typifies what a Mercedes-Benz is better at than any other car in the world. This is what I try to get across to Lexus fanatics. Sure the Lexus might ride softer, but not "better" because the control isn't there. The Benz has the ride nearly of the same plushness of any car on the market, but with much better control. That is a Mercedes-Benz.

M
Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
The W221 S600 is just an awesome car. I got reminded of that tonight with a friend of mine. I'd rather not say what we did with it. Let's just say we were reminded of how much torque it has! The comfort and quietness of the car are just incomparable.

Last edited by trumpet1; 08-02-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 S550 w/ AMG Package
Originally Posted by trumpet1
If ABC isn't good enough, keep in mind the upcoming technology that I've read is coming to the next S class...the sensors that will detect flaws and dips in the road ahead , priming the suspension to react accordingly so that the passengers basically will never know the bump/hump is there!
Thats on the F700 right?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Saverino
Thats on the F700 right?
From what I understand , yes.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Great posts, the S600 typifies what a Mercedes-Benz is better at than any other car in the world. This is what I try to get across to Lexus fanatics. Sure the Lexus might ride softer, but not "better" because the control isn't there. The Benz has the ride nearly of the same plushness of any car on the market, but with much better control. That is a Mercedes-Benz.

M
I went through the same thing. I was talking to a lexus salesperson a few weeks back and she was trying to talk all sorts of trash about the W221 but you could hear it in her voice that even she didnt believe it.

The W221 is simply *the* standard for the full size car.. they got it right in so many ways.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
The W221 S600 is just an awesome car. I got reminded of that tonight with a friend of mine. I'd rather not say what we did with it. Let's just say we were reminded of how much torque it has!.
Let me guess - you pulled out a tree stump?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
Let me guess - you pulled out a tree stump?
Uh, no.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
I think this will be an evolution or a replacement for the current Airmatic, and that ABC will still be the sporting option.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:34 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
No doubt smarter/faster tech will allow this shortly...esp as chassis tech (and "read" of road surface and traction/stability) is linked to gearbox/stability controls/braking, etc....

Actually, the tech that might be more relevant from a safety standpoint is DistronicPlus rear sensors, continually calc'g how closely a car is following one....biggest risk in emergent braking of any 600/AMG w/their powerful, advanced-tech brakes on a busy, urban fwy is being rear-ended by the likely 10-20yo car following too closely/inattentively....

This rear DistPlus would work in tandem w/the front DistPlus to instantaneously calibrate emergent braking power needed to avoid frontal collision...and being rear-ended....

Currently, one needs to continually risk-profile surrounding drivers/cars to adjust spacing in anticipation of any emergent braking situation...and manually judge safest amt of braking power to apply to avoid being rear-ended.....surely, some advanced MB safety tech might assist drivers in better managing this not uncommon risk scenario....
Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by Ferri
I think this will be an evolution or a replacement for the current Airmatic, and that ABC will still be the sporting option.
Hahahaha I can see it now, owners complaining about their cars hopping up and down due to faulty or dirty sensors.