S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

I'm worried now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
I wouldn't worry about it. If there are any issues general they would be discovered in the first 50k miles. After that the car should be reliable to 75k or more. Keep in perspective that depreciation is our biggest expense and as the years go it lessens dramatically. Even if there was a major mechanical issue I'm sure $5k would cover it. Pretty insignificant considering the depreciation was $100k in the first four years. I plan to keep mine until the new model arrivies. There simply is no better auto available from performance and looks departments. BTW I've never kept a vehicle more than 3 years (last S) and typically in the past when I was younger I would trade exotics every 12mos. I've become wiser to keep cars longer and the biggest benefit to wanting to trade this car is there really isn't anything worth trading to! Forcing me to keep longer I would't let reliability concern (minimal potential expense) force you to purchase new (major depriciation expense) until you find a new car you want.

+1!

Thanks for putting these fears into proportion. Even if you are/were unlucky enough to get hit with an unforeseen $5K to $10K repair bill 5 or 6 years into ownership, that is still quite small against the amount you will have expensed on depreciation, gas, maintenance, insurance etc, over all that time. Alternatively you would be approaching the end of a second 3 year lease if you went that route - which in aggregate would have cost more out of pocket over this time. (Assuming you want to continue driving a w221 S-Class)

The timing of my purchase (and I suspect yours) was quite deliberate and calculated. The next generation S-Class (w222?) is not until 2012/13 earliest (especially if you buy after the year 1 break in period) and one vehicle (ideally on 7 years extended warranty) over 6-8 years makes more financial sense to me. I can't stomach endless recurring lease payments... (I don't have WSH's fiscal fortitude) ..and you are quite right - there is not anything else worth trading to in this current generation!

Chris
Old 08-17-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
+1!

Thanks for putting these fears into proportion. Even if you are/were unlucky enough to get hit with an unforeseen $5K to $10K repair bill 5 or 6 years into ownership, that is still quite small against the amount you will have expensed on depreciation, gas, maintenance, insurance etc, over all that time. Alternatively you would be approaching the end of a second 3 year lease if you went that route - which in aggregate would have cost more out of pocket over this time. (Assuming you want to continue driving a w221 S-Class)

The timing of my purchase (and I suspect yours) was quite deliberate and calculated. The next generation S-Class (w222?) is not until 2012/13 earliest (especially if you buy after the year 1 break in period) and one vehicle (ideally on 7 years extended warranty) over 6-8 years makes more financial sense to me. I can't stomach endless recurring lease payments... (I don't have WSH's fiscal fortitude) ..and you are quite right - there is not anything else worth trading to in this current generation!

Chris
Considering the warranty extension for an extra 3 years and 50k miles (7y 100k miles total) is only a few thousand, why not purchase that directly from MB and own the car worry free for 100k miles. By then, all potential problems will have been fixed under warranty anyway.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Considering the warranty extension for an extra 3 years and 50k miles (7y 100k miles total) is only a few thousand, why not purchase that directly from MB and own the car worry free for 100k miles. By then, all potential problems will have been fixed under warranty anyway.
That is exactly what I have done - a privilege of new/original ownership. (Though it is more than just a few thousand) It used to be $4,800 for a 3 year extension up to 100,000 miles and prices have recently gone up - mbusa no longer posts the prices on their website and it is a matter of "negotiation" with your dealer. I was originally quoted $7,000 for any AMG/V12 engined car though I am paying a lot less as part of the settlement over the lack of Park Guidance/Assist functionality in my early MY08 S600. (A long story) Still worth it!

Chris