S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie Owner (W221) Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S550 Sport Package, 2000 S500
Question Newbie Owner (W221) Questions

Hello.

I took delivery of a new S550 with Sport Package last month. I have only driven it 200 miles since I took delivery on Sept 1. It sits in my garage most of the time. [ Still driving the old S500 for most trips :-) ] It has been parked now for two weeks straight.

I recently noticed some water that appears to originate from the right front of the car. I am trying to figure out what this might be. As the car has not been driven for two weeks, I am thinking it can't be the air conditioner ... The windshield washer fluid is also full so no leak from there ( also no smell ... appears to be pure water ). This is the second occasion where this has occured, after another idle period.

Any thoughts on what this might be ? or some normal explanation? I am sitting on a JD Power Survey and want to turn it in clean ... I love the brand and have had a Mercedes in the family since age 16 ... so just trying to get your feedback on the periodic water drain despite the vehicle sitting in the garage ...

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 03:51 PM

04 S430 4Matic/03 Ml 320/ 98' E320 4matic/ 73' slc 450/ 05 cherokee
hmm...interesting....

to be honest...i have no clue...sorry to be of no assistance

but welcome
Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
Try driving the car. Are you sure there's no animal that took up residence in the engine compartment? Why keep it parked in the garage? You can always ask your service advisor, but it seems like nothing to worry about. A little strange though...
Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by carsnob
Try driving the car. Are you sure there's no animal that took up residence in the engine compartment? Why keep it parked in the garage? You can always ask your service advisor, but it seems like nothing to worry about. A little strange though...

You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. I suspect that some reservoir may be overfilled and if you drive it , it'll correct itself and be over with. Washer fluid reservoir maybe? I remember my car had some kind of oily drip come out from under it once or twice just after buying it and then it never happened again.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by trumpet1
You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. I suspect that some reservoir may be overfilled and if you drive it , it'll correct itself and be over with. Washer fluid reservoir maybe? I remember my car had some kind of oily drip come out from under it once or twice just after buying it and then it never happened again.
Yeah imagine if they overfilled a reservoir cold and then it heated up.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 AM

'09 S63 AMG
mainz - depending on where you live - if you are still using your A/C on your other car(s) and they are parked next to your S550, then it could just be the the condensation from A/C of the other cars is simply flowing towards your S550

How do I know this? I have 3 cars parked side by side in my garage and this summer I noticed puddles of clear liquid (like water) mysteriously appear on my garage floor. No stream of water that lead to the puddle - just random spots. Then one day after I drove one of the cars I made it a point to look under the car and could see the condensation trickling down and flowing wherever the slope was
Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by mainz
Hello.

I took delivery of a new S550 with Sport Package last month. I have only driven it 200 miles since I took delivery on Sept 1. It sits in my garage most of the time. [ Still driving the old S500 for most trips :-) ] It has been parked now for two weeks straight.

I recently noticed some water that appears to originate from the right front of the car. I am trying to figure out what this might be. As the car has not been driven for two weeks, I am thinking it can't be the air conditioner ... The windshield washer fluid is also full so no leak from there ( also no smell ... appears to be pure water ). This is the second occasion where this has occured, after another idle period.

Any thoughts on what this might be ? or some normal explanation? I am sitting on a JD Power Survey and want to turn it in clean ... I love the brand and have had a Mercedes in the family since age 16 ... so just trying to get your feedback on the periodic water drain despite the vehicle sitting in the garage ...

Thanks!

If it is truly water then I'd have to ask what is the problem? Clearly just plain water isn't going to be a problem. Could be any number of things and things beside your car also. I'd say drive the car and see if it anything lights up or act funny if not forget about it.

M
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
mainz - depending on where you live - if you are still using your A/C on your other car(s) and they are parked next to your S550, then it could just be the the condensation from A/C of the other cars is simply flowing towards your S550

How do I know this? I have 3 cars parked side by side in my garage and this summer I noticed puddles of clear liquid (like water) mysteriously appear on my garage floor. No stream of water that lead to the puddle - just random spots. Then one day after I drove one of the cars I made it a point to look under the car and could see the condensation trickling down and flowing wherever the slope was
+1
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 PM

2008 S550 Sport Package, 2000 S500
Thank you Gentlemen ( and any ladies ).

I will take your advice and take it for a spin more often :-)

I appreciate the range of feedback and time spent on the replies. While the cars nearby thought is reasonable generally speaking, in my case I only have the single S550 in the garage with no other cars nearby. The reservoir overflow explantion makes sense. I will let you know if it turned out to be anything else.