S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

V12 TT (half dyno)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Thumbs up V12 TT (half dyno)

For the longest time I wanted to dyno my car. It’s a stock, no mods (yet), one year old 33k. miles daily commuter.
Well, yesterday I put my car on Dynojet. The mechanic had a hardest time to find the right wires to tap his two inductive pickups.
He exposed coil packs all the wiring, (I knew about tapping into grey wire with red lead) tried every wire and nothing. I refused
for him to open plug covers.
After 2 hours, he gave up and told me that he can do only RWHP, not the torque. Bummer, because that, what I was mostly interested in.
First pull – 504RWHP, second pull – 509 and the third one 524 RWHP.
I’m suspecting even more HP, my car was his first MB dynoed, he didn’t even know how to paddle shift properly.
I was pleasantly surprised, because after recalculation ( x 1.21) it turns out to be 634 flywheel HP.
My questions are:
Is V12 TT on CL/S class that grossly underrated, officially 510 HP (flywheel)?
Am I lucky and my car was built in the middle of the week (no Mondays or Fridays ) and it’s one of those lucky strikes?
Did the mechanic do something wrong and the readings are off?
Mark.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Anyways, I'm glad you did not let him "open plug covers" as those are not plug covers and are the actual ignition modules and you don't want to open those up.. they don't open up.

We used an optical pickup from the crank pulley to read the torque.

524WHP is super high for a stock cars... we usually see tuned V12TT at around 510WHP...
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS430
If you the 524rwhp really what it is, divide it by .81 or .80 to account for the 19-20% drivetrain loss. You're looking at 650hp-655hp at the crank. I've never seen a stock CL600 dyno that high. I have a feeling things might be off as I've seen only 65s with the 6.0TT put up 520+rwhp in stock form.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:14 PM

LS430
If your the 524rwhp really what it is, divide it by .81 or .80 to account for the 19-20% drivetrain loss. You're looking at 650hp-655hp at the crank. I've never seen a stock CL600 dyno that high. I have a feeling things might be off as I've seen only 65s with the 6.0TT put up 520+rwhp in stock form.

Originally Posted by Oxygen
Anyways, I'm glad you did not let him "open plug covers" as those are not plug covers and are the actual ignition modules and you don't want to open those up.. they don't open up.

We used an optical pickup from the crank pulley to read the torque.

524WHP is super high for a stock cars... we usually see tuned V12TT at around 510WHP...
Well said, tuned 600 cars get around there or some stock 65 cars. If his car really is a freak, i bet he can't wait to have Kleemann on call with their ECU/TCU sale.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:12 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Sounds like mechanic was clueless so data seems suspect

Part of why I like new 65s is they are rather reliable, so almost never need to visit dealer until trade-in

Most techs struggle to just prep new cars w/proper tire Ps, let alone anything more complex than an oil change or tire replacement; these cars are as tech-intensive, obsolescent and disposable as the latest Blkberry/iPhone

Also, dyno graphs (even provided by factory) are pseudo-data anyway...as they fail to reflect real-world perf, which is limited by factors like traction, turbo lag (esp GT2 or 65 Blk), shiftspeeds (and delays/errors of humans mechanically shifting Luddite cars like GT2), etc etc
Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hence my question, maybe some members know the answer.
It is rather easy to measure horsepower on Dynojet. Not difficult to screw it up (I think) but who knows.
The Dynojet machine is hooked up to the internet and calibrated.
How could he messed it up.
…Or this is a true reading and this car produces it.

You can see the dip, where the mechanic was not sure how to operate paddle shift.
Well, after that, thank God for big straps.

Mark.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Mark next time you decide to take a ride to Brooklyn for this stuff you let me know and I'll come down and check this out.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
It sounds like you have a tune installed in your ECU. Stock 600 are in mid400 on dynojet. I have seen some in 460s.

Do you know how to use OBDII scanner? If you can log boost, that will tell you right away. Stock cars are at 13 psi, tune raises this to 17-19 psi depending on the tuner.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oxygen,
If you don't mind, I'd gladly take you on your offer.
That shop is about 30 min. from my office.
If we can schedule something next week or two, that would be great (I'm flexible).
The mechanic (Owner) told me, that next time he will take front cover off (???) and do optical timing.
He says it is $800 option on Dynojet, that he bought.
I really want to know if I have a car from Krypton
(watching Smallville lately )
or....I have awakened from a nice dream (Dynojet meltdown) and it's
REALITY time...
Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Absolutely.. I'd love to come check the car out and see what's up with it. I will probably plop my S600 on the dyno also as soon as you're done and see how it's doing.

He is completely correct in the method that he is using to get your torque.. he is going to take the front underbody plastic panel off and expose the crank pulley. He will use a piece of reflective tape and stick it on the pulley and also place an optical sensor there that will detect the rotation of the crank pulley and thus detecting your RPM's which are needed for torque calculation.

Please PM me your number and we can setup a time and date for this.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oxygen,
PM sent.
Mark.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 PM

LS430
Dont' forget to update us on what both cars dyno!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vadim @ FD,
It certainly looks like something devilish is going on here.
But I assure you that, it was a brand new car with 25 delivery miles, didn't do any mods except Sprint Booster.
As the matter of fact, the reason for the dyno was checking the car before and after Klemman ECU/TCU upgrade.
Yes, the car feels very powerfull but I have no comparison to any other MB with V12TT.
Now, I question the whole upgrade idea, not wanting to mess up the good thing. If the Dynojet numbers are real (big if) why would I need it.
Within a week or two I want to redyno the car, maybe with Oxygen's 600 also.
I will ask mechanic if he has OBDII scanner.

Mark.

PS. Since the dyno, I look at the car from totally different angle
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by markopolo
Vadim @ FD,
It certainly looks like something devilish is going on here.
But I assure you that, it was a brand new car with 25 delivery miles, didn't do any mods except Sprint Booster.
As the matter of fact, the reason for the dyno was checking the car before and after Klemman ECU/TCU upgrade.
Yes, the car feels very powerfull but I have no comparison to any other MB with V12TT.
Now, I question the whole upgrade idea, not wanting to mess up the good thing. If the Dynojet numbers are real (big if) why would I need it.
Within a week or two I want to redyno the car, maybe with Oxygen's 600 also.
I will ask mechanic if he has OBDII scanner.

Mark.

PS. Since the dyno, I look at the car from totally different angle
It's NOT in realm of impossibility for your 600 to be freakish, Ben Treynor's old 03' S600 put down the highest uncorrected Dynojet reading w/481 RWHP having said that entering the 500-525+ club requires an ECU/TCU.

Was your Sprint booster connected during these Dyno sessions? (Not to think Spint Booster adds any HP, but could create Dyno Spikes)
If yes? disconnect it before next Dyno.

We've been noticing a glut of DynoDynamic & Dynojet machines putting unusually high #'s out on E55's lately (1 Stock E55 @ 480+ rwhp 520+ rwto, which is impossible on Stock w211 E55) Others have been half a dozen stg1-2 E55's @ 480+rwhp, again NOT possible. I think it's combo of improper Dyno settings/operator error & possible Sprint Booster Dyno Spikes?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:47 PM

a car
Not to rain on anyone's parade but Dynojets (and dynapaks) are notorious for high-reading numbers. Over here among us the drag-racing crowd, we call dynojets as the "feel-good" dynos because they will consistently read 10-15% higher than other dynos like Mustang or the "heart-breaker" dyno: dynodynamics. Again, take all readings with a grain of salt, especially when it's operated by an inexperienced technician like the one that the TP has.

Like we used to say: "settle it on the track". Only when you get a real 1/4 mile number then you will know for a fact how fast/powerful your car is. We used to have a local supra guy who claims sub 800whp numbers on his supra and has dyno copies that he brags about. Then he went on the local dragstrip and pulled a low 14sec 1/4 mile.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:01 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Any updates on this freak machine? That's an insanely high number to get.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I certainly will redo the dyno.
Just a bit busy right now (businness starts to pick up lately )
And like jtanoyo1 suggested, I will try to find Mustang or Dynodynamics machine to do it. I truly want to find out what's going on with that monster
The track is not really an option to me.
I've never done it. So most likely I'd mess it up.
Unless I'll let somebody drive it for me.
But that "somebody" would have to drive with 12 ga. shotgun to his head. Just kidding.

So the toughest dyno (Dynodynamics I guess) would be the answer.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by markopolo
I certainly will redo the dyno.
Just a bit busy right now (businness starts to pick up lately )
And like jtanoyo1 suggested, I will try to find Mustang or Dynodynamics machine to do it. I truly want to find out what's going on with that monster
The track is not really an option to me.
I've never done it. So most likely I'd mess it up.
Unless I'll let somebody drive it for me.
But that "somebody" would have to drive with 12 ga. shotgun to his head. Just kidding.

So the toughest dyno (Dynodynamics I guess) would be the answer.
The latest crop of Dynodynamics are reading higher than Dynojets, if you seek REAL #'s find a Mustang Dyno
Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you Thericker,
So Mustang Dyno will be!