S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Facelifted S-Class vs. new 7 Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Facelifted S-Class vs. new 7 Series

Since I don't really have the time to go through previous threads, I would be very grateful if someone could fill me in on the changes done on the new facelifted S-Class. Are they all cosmetic or are there also some engine/performance upgrades too?

Secondly, what do you guys think of the new 7 Series? What are the pros and cons of the facelifted S-Class and the new 7 Series?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM

2015 S550, 2016 Escalade
I just went through this myself, and actually placed an order for a ED 2010 S550. View this post for the main improvements:

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...0-options.html

But... I started having second thoughts and decided to take a look at the new 7. My wife and I spent over 6 hours looking at both cars yesterday. Drove a S550 at 9:30am, then a 750Li at 11. After lunch we went back and drove the 750Li again, and finally went back to the Mercedes dealer for a final ride in the current S550.

At the end of the day I placed an order for the 750Li. (I will cancel the ED on the S550 and eat the $250 penalty - i will pickup the BMW on the same date as I would have the Mercedes).

This was a very tough decision for me, because I've been eyeing the S class for years, and was specifically waiting for the refresh. I still think the S is more striking on the exterior. The interior of the 7, however, is more my style. Where the S felt large and barren on the inside, the 7 felt intimate and complete. The center console of the S is extremely plain. They both drove surprisingly similar as far as ride comfort and noise. The 7 has nearly all the same technology as the S (Distronic-like cruise control with "stop & go", Night Vision, Lane Departure, Blind Spot, etc) but also has the "heads-up display" and a cleaner Nav/Media control. After hating the iDrive, I now find it better than Command. I also think the controller is in a better location in the 7. Having a shifter in the center console also felt more immersive than the steering wheel S version.

I could go on and on. Many other items are vertually identical (rear seat entertainment, rear seat package, etc) While I'm excited about the 7, I also feel a bit sad today at having to let go of the S. I've never owned a BMW, vs. having owned 4 Mercedes.

Anyway, those are my thoughts...

Last edited by hayden; 06-11-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Kain,
It puzzels me a bit, that you have no time to do the homework yourself and rely on others opinion to purchase a car. Should i say, it's a little sloppy?
I'm assuming, that you will have no time to drive the car either.
Let somebody else use the car and then let him report back to you how it feels.
Silly.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hayden,
good for you
Whatever you chose (BMW), you made an educated decision.
Compare, compare, compare.
And then choose. I'm positive you will enjoy the new ride

PS.
Let us know your thoughts after few months...
Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by markopolo
Kain,
It puzzels me a bit, that you have no time to do the homework yourself and rely on others opinion to purchase a car. Should i say, it's a little sloppy?
I'm assuming, that you will have no time to drive the car either.
Let somebody else use the car and then let him report back to you how it feels.
Silly.
Now, now.

I've just been a little busy the past few days and haven't had the time to truly research this on my own and thought I would start a quick thread to get things rolling. I will be conducting my own research once I have a little more free time.

Please stay on-topic or I'll have to you.

j/k

As for hayden, thanks a lot for your input!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kain, don't be offended.
Just reread your original post and you will laugh too.
I'm sure you don't ask your buddies to test drive your new/possible girlfriend for you...
Do it yourself.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Sonderklasse
I don't think I'll ever defect to the dark side in this segment of vehicle. Kain, can you post your post-delivery impressions of your new 7 after you have it? Enjoy and be safe.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
I'll have to say that during the W220 years (Chrysler years), I'd strongly consider going to the Bavarian side of cars, but now that we are in the W 221 years, everything is looking good for the Stuttgart side.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Would get a '10 S600 or S65 if need a kid hauler; o/w would get '10 CL65

Haven't driven '10s yet but am intrigued by various tech advances and refinements to steering/ABC/stab ctrls, as well as more advanced safety systems (have a July build '10 CL65 on order to gain first-hand exposure)

S550 simply lacks tq, brakes and an acceptable interior; IMO, a $100K S550 is a much worse value than a $200K S65

BMWs are some of world's most mockable wannabe perf cars (along w/Bents)....weak safety engineering, tq-free and/or turbo lag-rich motors, clunky gearboxes, no brakes, sloppy chassis/steering vs real-world mtn twisties, no HVAC (even vs mild SiliconValley heat w/low humidity), puny fuel tank, etc etc

Have test-driven enough new M3 or M5 or 750 over the yrs to simply cite them as excellent examples of why positive (or negative) car mag reviews are worthless vs views of any jaded driver after a brief test-drive on an interesting fwy/twisties mix
Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 AM

2015 S550, 2016 Escalade
Originally Posted by WSH
BMWs are some of world's most mockable wannabe perf cars (along w/Bents)....weak safety engineering, tq-free and/or turbo lag-rich motors, clunky gearboxes, no brakes, sloppy chassis/steering vs real-world mtn twisties, no HVAC (even vs mild SiliconValley heat w/low humidity), puny fuel tank, etc etc
I can't speak to all of those from experience yet. Stats show the fuel tank is a bit smaller (~2 gal), and the trunk is as well (about ~2 cf.) Both trunks are small to be honest. My e class feels like it has a bigger boot than the S.

I however felt no turbo lag at all on the new engine, the shifts were not even noticable in the comfort setting. The A/C felt just as strong as the Benz. The brakes are actually significantly bigger on the 750Li vs. S550... and it shows on nearly every stopping test.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:01 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
I really like the 7 especially I might prefer the 7 interior to to the S. That being said I really need to have a vehicle that has "the lines". The look that makes me look back. For me the S is the only choice.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 PM

2015 S550, 2016 Escalade
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
That being said I really need to have a vehicle that has "the lines".

I mainly agree. That's why letting go of the S was so tough for me.

I think as a whole Mercedes exterior design is a level up from BMW currently. Interior is another matter. I took a look at a new Demo E sedan and coupe.... what a disappointment. The interior lacked character and felt “plasticy”.

The exterior, however, was inspiring. Especially the coupe.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM

2005 Range Rover HSE, 2008 BMW M3 Cab d/c, 2010 GL550 (wifes), 1993 Porsche 928GTS 32kmi garage quee
Originally Posted by hayden

I mainly agree. That's why letting go of the S was so tough for me.

I think as a whole Mercedes exterior design is a level up from BMW currently. Interior is another matter. I took a look at a new Demo E sedan and coupe.... what a disappointment. The interior lacked character and felt “plasticy”.

The exterior, however, was inspiring. Especially the coupe.
Agreed. I cant believe some of the materials MB is using in anything less than designo or V-12 interior. Take the C class which I really like as a driving/appearance package, I cannot believe however that for door locks they use a piece of unfinished plastic that jets out of the door just where I would like to place my elbow. You have to see this piece. It is unbelievable cheapness. Even a C is still a Mercedes and should be a step up from its competition. I've never seen anything so rudimentary in any car from any manufacturer. Not to mention some of the other surfaces.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 S600
Originally Posted by vonbeeler
Agreed. I cant believe some of the materials MB is using in anything less than designo or V-12 interior. Take the C class which I really like as a driving/appearance package, I cannot believe however that for door locks they use a piece of unfinished plastic that jets out of the door just where I would like to place my elbow. You have to see this piece. It is unbelievable cheapness. Even a C is still a Mercedes and should be a step up from its competition. I've never seen anything so rudimentary in any car from any manufacturer. Not to mention some of the other surfaces.

And those little door lock pull tabs come off easy on the C class. The two rear door lock tabs fell off right away and it wasn't easy to get them replaced. I had to beg to get them ordered but they snapped back on (I recommend a tad of superglue). Otherwise, we love the C350.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hypothetically speaking,
In Alternate Reality where MB does not exist, I'd driving those daily commuters:
Bentley or Audi or Porsche or Aston or Maserati (in that order) never BMW.
This car (BMW) is an ultimate Imitation Car, I call it a "Shadow Car". Always second or third or so...
I tried to break this emphaty quite a few times. But after every test drive I just reasured myself with my negative opinion.
Well, I still try to keep my mind open, maybe next 5 years BMW will come out with some breathtaking beauty.
We shall see.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:55 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by markopolo
Kain, don't be offended.
.....I'm sure you don't ask your buddies to test drive your new/possible girlfriend for you...Do it yourself.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 AM

'09 S63 AMG
I just went through this myself, and actually placed an order for a ED 2010 S550. View this post for the main improvements:

But... I started having second thoughts and decided to take a look at the new 7. My wife and I spent over 6 hours looking at both cars yesterday. Drove a S550 at 9:30am, then a 750Li at 11. After lunch we went back and drove the 750Li again, and finally went back to the Mercedes dealer for a final ride in the current S550.

At the end of the day I placed an order for the 750Li. (I will cancel the ED on the S550 and eat the $250 penalty - i will pickup the BMW on the same date as I would have the Mercedes).

This was a very tough decision for me, because I've been eyeing the S class for years, and was specifically waiting for the refresh. I still think the S is more striking on the exterior. The interior of the 7, however, is more my style. Where the S felt large and barren on the inside, the 7 felt intimate and complete. The center console of the S is extremely plain. They both drove surprisingly similar as far as ride comfort and noise. The 7 has nearly all the same technology as the S (Distronic-like cruise control with "stop & go", Night Vision, Lane Departure, Blind Spot, etc) but also has the "heads-up display" and a cleaner Nav/Media control. After hating the iDrive, I now find it better than Command. I also think the controller is in a better location in the 7. Having a shifter in the center console also felt more immersive than the steering wheel S version.

I could go on and on. Many other items are vertually identical (rear seat entertainment, rear seat package, etc) While I'm excited about the 7, I also feel a bit sad today at having to let go of the S. I've never owned a BMW, vs. having owned 4 Mercedes.

I can see how you would feel that way. As biased as I am towards MB, I will concede that the new 75iL interior is probably better (more ergonomic) than the W221.

On the flip side, the new 750iL exterior totally sucks. If you didn't notice the "BMW" badge you'd think it was some sort of Nissan/Hyundai hybrid.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Here's a nice facelift thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...ft-leaked.html
Old 06-13-2009, 11:25 AM

'15 S550 4matic; '10 RX350; '14 E350 Cabriolet

Usually (but not too often) when I can't decide I will get both --- but one at a time.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 PM

2013 SL550 Tectite Black
Unhappy

Originally Posted by WSH
Would get a '10 S600 or S65 if need a kid hauler; o/w would get '10 CL65

Haven't driven '10s yet but am intrigued by various tech advances and refinements to steering/ABC/stab ctrls, as well as more advanced safety systems (have a July build '10 CL65 on order to gain first-hand exposure)

S550 simply lacks tq, brakes and an acceptable interior; IMO, a $100K S550 is a much worse value than a $200K S65

Have test-driven enough new M3 or M5 or 750 over the yrs to simply cite them as excellent examples of why positive (or negative) car mag reviews are worthless vs views of any jaded driver after a brief test-drive on an interesting fwy/twisties mix
Here we go again....
Old 06-13-2009, 06:03 PM

2015 S550, 2016 Escalade
Originally Posted by AustinGuy

Yes, I was only considering the 2010 S. I like the improved center console in wood... but it still doesn't change my basic problem with the interior.

Also, regarding the exterior of the 7.... my opinion has evolved. I origionally thought it was ordinary, and lacked any definitive design stamp. I have since come to like it much more. They have managed to make an extremely large car look smaller than it is. I think the S looks larger, even though its not.

I watched an interview with one of the designers (who has since defected over the MB) and he said it was designed for someone to discover details over time and not all at once. I thought that was interesting, and seems to be true in my case.
Attached Thumbnails Facelifted S-Class vs. new 7 Series-7series_carparked_1024x768.jpg  
Old 06-13-2009, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by gyzmo123
Here we go again....
+1.
Sounds more and more buffoonish in every consecutive post...
Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Mercedes' most notable shortcoming continues to be the lack of appropriate/suitable interior options. Although the S550 is basically the "entry level" model, the car is nonetheless, the flagship of Mercedes and deserves better than its pedestrian leather surfaces. Even the optional leather upgrade, still below S600 quality, is hardly noteworthy. The Designo options while enhancing the interior appearance, limit the buyer to "canned" interior/exterior color combinations further diminished by MBUSA reticence to readily market the option beyond only a few color combinations. Obviously the S600/S65 at $150-190k offers what many S-Class buyers would like to see (and expect) in their interiors, but this is a large leap from the probably average $100k S550 price. What would be so wrong for Mercedes to offer the desired interior as maybe a $4-5000 option? Other luxury brands, such as Porsche will even let you radically customize your car with special paint and special leather, beyond the enhanced "option" list - for a price. Wouldn't this make sense for the market leader, Mercedes?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:45 PM

2015 S550, 2016 Escalade
Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
What would be so wrong for Mercedes to offer the desired interior as maybe a $4-5000 option?
Agreed.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:48 AM

'09 S63 AMG
...I watched an interview with one of the designers (who has since defected over the MB) and he said it was designed for someone to discover details over time and not all at once. I thought that was interesting, and seems to be true in my case.
Yeah but when one looks at a car they want to notice it and go wow instantly! Not do it in slow motion after digesting every minute detail. You could be dead by the time (if you know what I mean).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Facelifted S-Class vs. new 7 Series