S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Hotel valet scratch my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Exclamation Hotel valet scratch my car

OK so now it's my turn - I knew I shouldn't trust the guy at the reception desk (just didn't listen to my guts for once).

I found out the bumper is scratched from a wall when entering a tight garage I guess a bit later in the afternoon after the check out. Had to come back and complain, at first, they said it was there, not possible etc. Finally they have agreed to pay whatever the cost will be. It sucks anyway, I will never give my car to the valet service again or at least try to avoid it if possible. I think the cost of the repair won't be more than 500EUR.

So next time you go to Zurich, don't give you car to Glockenhof hotel valet parking and park it yourself

Attached Thumbnails Hotel valet scratch my car-p1010008.jpg   Hotel valet scratch my car-p1010009.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
What argument did you use to 'convince' them it wasn't there before? I might need to use your line of reasoning myself some day (knock on wood, haven't had that problem <yet, probably just a matter of time>).
Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Very sorry to see "your turn"
The feeling, when you discover the damage is quite unusual.
Mixture of disbelieve, anger, helplessness and probably urge to develop time machine is ... very strong.

How did you convince them to pay for the damage?
(without using the gun? )
Old 08-26-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Convincing people gets easier with 2 screaming kids and 1 angry wife behind
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 2009 SL550
When I saw your name Armadillo888 I was assuming you were in Texas. So I was going to say, well just shoot him. But I guess that would not work where you are.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by chipps
When I saw your name Armadillo888 I was assuming you were in Texas. So I was going to say, well just shoot him. But I guess that would not work where you are.
He's not worth the bullet. You can just pray for him so he learns to drive. And of course, in Switzerland, you shoot only if you are James Bond which I'm not
Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by markopolo
Very sorry to see "your turn"
The feeling, when you discover the damage is quite unusual.
Mixture of disbelieve, anger, helplessness and probably urge to develop time machine is ... very strong.

How did you convince them to pay for the damage?
(without using the gun? )
You have nicely described the feeling. That's price you pay for having an exclusive car. I try not to take it too seriously though or at least I'm trying to think this way about it So anger should have no place in life at least in a situation like this.
Some people leave their nice cars at home and drive Kia Picanto just not to have their "babies" dirty I don't agree with this philosophy. Life is too short to leave pretty things until you are 80 years old.
Everything comes with a price so if you are willing to accept this (not to take material things too seriously) is the price we pay, no problem and life will be easier

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Sonderklasse
I concur with markopolo.
Have almost gotten used to it b/c where I am the roads are tight and road users are not caring towards others and have bad road manners. I even suspect they have bad attitude esp when seeing large luxury vehicles.
Having said that, last week when my front bumper/fender got lightly hit in a parking lot I still got that same feeling described by markopolo. Then just yesterday someone backed into my front and (fortunately) only broke the plastic license plate (but scratched the plate frame). Gets tiring. In many places the LWB is indeed too lengthy for parking lots but I think I am convinced I need a smaller runaround city car.

With regards to valet, the only time I would trust them is if they agree to park my car at the front of the hotel/restaurant/establishment and not to move it. Of course, an extra more generous tip is required but saves me hassle and anger from potential setbacks.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 AM

2010 S600 sold
So next time you go to Zurich, don't give you car to Glockenhof hotel valet parking and park it yourself

Thanks for the advise.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S 600 / '06 911 Porsche C4S cab
your next S class should have parking sensors
Old 08-31-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
I would NEVER valet park my car. Period. Never have never will.

When I go to any upscale hotel or am in a situation where I need to valet, then I all the hotel or just ask then if I can park the car myself in their valet area. Yeah, a few times they'll look at me like I'm nuts but then who cares...

It's not worth the hassel.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by carsnob
your next S class should have parking sensors
I was thinking about a doberman instead.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
I would NEVER valet park my car. Period. Never have never will.

When I go to any upscale hotel or am in a situation where I need to valet, then I all the hotel or just ask then if I can park the car myself in their valet area. Yeah, a few times they'll look at me like I'm nuts but then who cares...

It's not worth the hassel.
I learnt. I will behave like you do from now on!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 AM

a car
That's the correct attitude to take. It's the same here in Indonesia. I used to live in an apartment where there are a lot of stray cats and dogs around. Every morning, I would find a lot of claw marks and just general scratches from whatever kind of animals that decide to find the warm hood of my car (from driving) comfortable to lay on. I just kinda give up on trying to get the paint showroom perfect.

A car is meant to be driven and driven hard, not to be put on some pedestal. LOL, I did end up moving into a house with a full lockdown basement garage and industrial lighting hahaha...
Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Armadillo888
You have nicely described the feeling. That's price you pay for having an exclusive car. I try not to take it too seriously though or at least I'm trying to think this way about it So anger should have no place in life at least in a situation like this.
Some people leave their nice cars at home and drive Kia Picanto just not to have their "babies" dirty I don't agree with this philosophy. Life is too short to leave pretty things until you are 80 years old.
Everything comes with a price so if you are willing to accept this (not to take material things too seriously) is the price we pay, no problem and life will be easier
You pretty much described me there. I always battle myself on whether or not I'm being an idiot. Fact is I'm O.C.D, so either my nice car has to be pristine and I can sleep well at night, and continue to love it, or if I go the opposite way, I have to give up my enthusiasm for the car, and let it become my daily beat around form of transportation. Makes me crazy but it's one of the pain in the a$$ personal demons I have to deal with.

I drive cross State (about 600 mile round trip) usually once a week or so, for work, and instead of enjoying my comfy, and uber-safe Mercedes, I bought a new Malibu, which is no POS or unsafe car, but isn't the M-B. That trip puts a lot of strain on the car, so I just can't bare to do that to E I guess.