S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

iPod compatibility 2010 S350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 S350
iPod compatibility 2010 S350

Hi guys,

My old man took delivery of an '10 S350 and is quite pleased.

However, he hasn't been able to figure a few things out, mostly related to music. So he asked me, but the thing is we don't live in the same country so i can't even check his car out. hence i'm putting it to you.

1. Does the car support HC SD cards? He has an 8gb card and he doesn't know how to put music on it and play it in the car.
- I’m guessing he should just stick the card(assuming both his PC and the car read HC cards) in his PC and copy/paste music into a music folder. This folder should be created by first inserting the card into the car and have the command system put it’s folder hierarchy on it?
From there he could proceed to copy the music onto the hard drive, correct? And just repeat this process until he has imported his entire mp3 collection? (this raises another question: does the caar read .aac? I doubt it. Also, he will have problems with iTunes not authorising certain songs to played on the car…)

2. Is the car iPod compatible? Can he just plug his iPod in and control it via the voice command or the command screen? Or does the car just have regular AV in(for DVD player/games console etc)?
- AFAIK it is NOT iPod compatible in the real sense of the word. And the only option is to control the iPod on the device itself.

And just as a curiosity I have this question. Can you control the music library via voice command? Like: Play – Mercedes Benz – Janis Joplin ?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 White/brown Nappa S550, '13 S550 4 matic, 11 S550 sold, '10 S550 Sports BLACK 08 S550 P3 sport
Originally Posted by HMjFArBz
Hi guys,

My old man took delivery of an '10 S350 and is quite pleased.

However, he hasn't been able to figure a few things out, mostly related to music. So he asked me, but the thing is we don't live in the same country so i can't even check his car out. hence i'm putting it to you.

1. Does the car support HC SD cards? He has an 8gb card and he doesn't know how to put music on it and play it in the car.
- I’m guessing he should just stick the card(assuming both his PC and the car read HC cards) in his PC and copy/paste music into a music folder. This folder should be created by first inserting the card into the car and have the command system put it’s folder hierarchy on it?
From there he could proceed to copy the music onto the hard drive, correct? And just repeat this process until he has imported his entire mp3 collection? (this raises another question: does the caar read .aac? I doubt it. Also, he will have problems with iTunes not authorising certain songs to played on the car…)

2. Is the car iPod compatible? Can he just plug his iPod in and control it via the voice command or the command screen? Or does the car just have regular AV in(for DVD player/games console etc)?
- AFAIK it is NOT iPod compatible in the real sense of the word. And the only option is to control the iPod on the device itself.

And just as a curiosity I have this question. Can you control the music library via voice command? Like: Play – Mercedes Benz – Janis Joplin ?

Thanks!
which countries would they be..

ask your old man to talk to his sales rep, he will be more than happy to demo everything for him.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Does the car have a PCMCIA or SD card slot? I have tried using HC cards in cars with PCMCIA slots without success. The best combo I was able to come up with was sandisk pcmcia compact flash adapters which would do in the upwards of 16GB. IIRC non-hc cards only went up to 2GB you should try buying him a 2 dollar one and see if it works as I am pretty sure the HC ones will not work. You should read through the owners manual I am pretty sure it can answer some of your questions I think the play song thing you are asking for was with Microsoft sync vehicles.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 09-08-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 AM

'10 S350
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Does the car have a PCMCIA or SD card slot? I have tried using HC cards in cars with PCMCIA slots without success. The best combo I was able to come up with was sandisk pcmcia compact flash adapters which would do in the upwards of 16GB. IIRC non-hc cards only went up to 2GB you should try buying him a 2 dollar one and see if it works as I am pretty sure the HC ones will not work. You should read through the owners manual I am pretty sure it can answer some of your questions I think the play song thing you are asking for was with Microsoft sync vehicles.
Thanks for that! The car has a regular SD slot and I'm sure there's an SD card somewhere in the house.
He has an owners manual, but because he's in Holland it's in Dutch. He would prefer English, but the dealer hasn't provided them yet.

Too bad the music control doesn't have voice command.

Originally Posted by RajwanyS550
which countries would they be..

ask your old man to talk to his sales rep, he will be more than happy to demo everything for him.
I'm in Spain, he's in the Netherlands. And he's not the kind of guy to and visit his dealer. He's got more important things to do on a saturday afternoon than spend it with the sales rep.(like golf or w/e :P)
i'll be seeing him over the weekend though, so I'll take a look at the car. i'm guessing it should be pretty straightforward, correct?

Last edited by HMjFArBz; 09-09-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
No problem, you can download them here.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsOwnersManuals/
Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 AM

'10 S350
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
No problem, you can download them here.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsOwnersManuals/
unfortunately the manual for the '10 model isn't on that page, but I was able to find the manual here.

It's a pretty good system, but quite complicated!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Oh sorry I just saw 2010 and figured it would be in there. This one you found looks to be better as well since it's interactive. Probably a lot easier than reading 600 pages heh.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 PM

W221 S500
the best combo for the PCMCIA is to use a PCMCIA to Compact Flash card those are the big memory cards and u dont have to worry about the HC issue. i am using an 8GB Compact Flash w a PCMCIA converter and its working fine i havent tried the 16GB but im pretty sure it would work.

http://www.netklong.com/netklong/lon...apter-p281.jpg