S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

OT: 2010 Range Rover Supercharged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W221
OT: 2010 Range Rover Supercharged

I know this is S-class forum but I come to value and respect your opinions and wanted your feedback on 2010 RR Supercharged.

I'm thinking about adding an SUV to my stable and after some research narrowed my choices to RR. I test drove '09 RR Supercharged earlier this year and was impressed with riding feel, fit and finish and overall non-MB and non-BMW presence of the car. I decided to wait for MY 2010 since RR was planning some updates, the biggest one in the engine department - HP increased from ~400 to 510, tq is now at 465. I drove one yesterday and all I can say - OH BOY! Silky smooth drive, great power and updated interior creates great driving experience.

Here's where I need your input, guys. It doesn't seem that RR has great reliability history. I haven't own one and hear opposite opinions from the folks who do. I was surprised to find trunk space just adequate for such a big car. Also rear seats feel 'sporty' in terms of comfort to say the least.

Overall I like this car. I actually more than just like it. My heart is sold yet my head says it's just a big, pretty toy with questionable reliability.

I'd like to hear your input, guys. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
I was also contemplating a Land rover/ ranger rover for the wife and kid.
But the quality issue was a major concern. Going ahead with a GL500 instead.
But good choice on the RRSC! beautiful car
Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Buy 2 since one will always be in the shop.

All kidding aside, they are buggy cars and reliability is not great. However, just like nothing rides like an S-class, nothing rides like a Range Rover.

I'd probably take an X5 instead. I think they look more modern and have great drivetrains.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 AM

W221
Originally Posted by BlackSL
Going ahead with a GL500 instead.
GL500 is a great car, it is one of my top choices, enjoy! What attracts me in RR besides power and ride feel is an ability to choose and customize the interior as far as leather/color combinations. Autobiography edition provides you with even more choices.

Oliverk: X5 also has a great feel on the road and looks very modern. Don't forget new X5M which will be out next week - what a beast! I'm looking for a bit more refinement inside and RR has that non-european feel in a sense that it doesn't feel like MB or bimmer.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Thumbs up

Had about 11 RRs as family trucksters since mid 90's.
The only problem ever,was faulty alarm in our 1996 4.6.
Nothing else and bulletproof reliability in all the rest.
Current '08 Supercharged has about 18k miles and was in service only for oil changes and Winter tires installation.
I agree the '10 is magnificent combo of luxury,power and practicality.Gene,I strongly recommend that car.
I have the Autobiography on order.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
You must be the only person who has had a bunch of flawless RRs.

I guess personal anecdotes sometimes don't match the reputation.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:24 PM

W221
Originally Posted by absent
Current '08 Supercharged has about 18k miles and was in service only for oil changes and Winter tires installation.
I agree the '10 is magnificent combo of luxury,power and practicality.Gene,I strongly recommend that car.
Mark, what is your take on duo-tone interior? Also, you mind sharing on color combo for your car? I'm considering Autobiography as well and really like Ivory/Let combo for duo-tone option. I wonder how it would look in person. The only Autobiography car I saw was '09 earlier this year, it wasn't duo-tone but the leather quality and craftmanship were breathtaking.
The next allocation for Auto at KNAUZ is for Feb -March of 2010!
They took delivery of one this week but it was out of the dealer before I even had a chance to stop by.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Yugos only
You must own a RR dealership

Originally Posted by absent
My friends in the UK don't choose RR anymore and they get them for free as a perk of their job.

Get a '05 + G5XX or G55 if you want to go off road and come back. Otherwise get a Lexus or a BMW.

One cannot buy an extended warranty or a 3rd party warranty on a RR in the US to the best of knowledge. This speaks to their reliability.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eugeneC55
Mark, what is your take on duo-tone interior? Also, you mind sharing on color combo for your car? I'm considering Autobiography as well and really like Ivory/Let combo for duo-tone option. I wonder how it would look in person. The only Autobiography car I saw was '09 earlier this year, it wasn't duo-tone but the leather quality and craftmanship were breathtaking.
The next allocation for Auto at KNAUZ is for Feb -March of 2010!
They took delivery of one this week but it was out of the dealer before I even had a chance to stop by.
Zermat Silver with Arabica interior.
I like the duo-tone in general but be careful when ordering it.
I got tired of it very quick in my old CLK55(2001 Black/Blue leather).
Oliverk:
Maybe my personal experience does not match general knowledge but after having my share of different cars over the years I tend to buy them based on that experience.
I don't like to relay on magazines tests and "first drives" although I do like to read them.
So far my worst experience ever was with my SL65 and in my kid brother's case, his LS460 which ended up being bought back by Lexus.

Last edited by absent; 10-04-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I say go with a GL550 or G550 if you are looking for an SUV. I have several clients and friends who have had RRs through the years, and the most memorable story I heard was my friend out to dinner with his girlfriend in Chicago only to have a valet come into the restaurant asking him to please come outside. He walks out as the CFD is hosing down the charred remains of his Rover. The valet said it was sitting out front where my friend pulled up to the restaurant and all the sudden the suspension raised up real high, and smoke started coming out from under the truck. 30 seconds later, it was in flames.

Nick
Old 10-04-2009, 11:44 PM

W203-4M W163
I drove a few RRs, and they were very nice. I asked the salesman about reliability, and he just looked at me with a strange expression on his face.

They gave me a Jaguar as a loaner once. 5-6 years old, and it was a piece of junk already at 70K miles.

Needless to say, I bought MB and have been very happy with my decision.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Well i can only speak from my experience with the 08 RR Sport Supercharged Fully Loaded. I can tell you that ever since service A it has gone in for one thing or another. Bought in Aug 07 and till today has about 35k miles on it. It has been driven 2wice from L.A. to Texas and once from L.A. - S.F. - Chicago - Michigan - Pennsylvania - L.A.

Like other owners I did experience the sunroof leaking while getting the car washed. Door rubber parts coming off, internal parts in the rear started rattling, and the Distronic Cruise's Sensors having issues that can not be fixed yet. All of that took place in about a year. However, their service has taken good care each and every time I have taken it in and continue to do so. Other than the cruise sensors they fixed everything. Now I am awaiting my driver side mirror to be completely replaced because it malfunctioned.

The car has never been hit or damaged these are just some things that occur on this particular model. Ask the service guys once you bring the car in, they'll tell you. lol

Before taking the plunge be sure you have completed your research and never look back!

All The Best!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Yugos only
RR in Scotland

Originally Posted by nick 55
I say go with a GL550 or G550 if you are looking for an SUV. I have several clients and friends who have had RRs through the years, and the most memorable story I heard was my friend out to dinner with his girlfriend in Chicago only to have a valet come into the restaurant asking him to please come outside. He walks out as the CFD is hosing down the charred remains of his Rover. The valet said it was sitting out front where my friend pulled up to the restaurant and all the sudden the suspension raised up real high, and smoke started coming out from under the truck. 30 seconds later, it was in flames.

Nick
Last time I was in Scotland we were in the Highlands shooting grouse. We were basically out in the middle of no-where.

My friend has a top of the line RR as a free perk since he is Managing Director of a company.

He made a deal with RR is that anywhere he is in the UK they have to pick up the RR if it craps out and replace it with a new one!

Sure enough it wouldn't start when we returned from the morning shoots and he called the dealer on his mobile phone. After trying some of the fixes they suggested it still wouldn't start. We had lunch in a "bothy" (hut) and waited. Two hours later they showed up with a tow truck and a brand new RR.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 PM

10 S550 4matic Palladium, 12 G550 Edition Select Silver, 10 BMW 128i Cabrio Blue Water

Nick
Thats hilarious!, RR and Jags are POS.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I hope they come out w/ a G63 AMG ..
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Vik888
I hope they come out w/ a G63 AMG ..
Better not.
G55 has great torque the G63 would not have.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 AM

W221
Thank you for all the replies, guys!
It seems that there is one common line in all of the answers: everyone feels strongly about RR, one way or the other. It also brings the question of the nature of any car purchase - is it practical, emotional or combination of factors?
Thanks again for your thoughts, gents, the quest continues!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by 13pauls
Thats hilarious!, RR and Jags are POS.
I had Jaguar for 3 years and never had any problem with this car. Customer service is 100 times better than MB.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:48 PM

I forgot to add Eugene, that the Range Rover does look stunning, just not when it is accented by under chassis lighting in the form of fire.

Nick
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM

W221
I forgot to add Eugene, that the Range Rover does look stunning, just not when it is accented by under chassis lighting in the form of fire.

Nick
Hey Nick,
Knowing my loyalty maybe you can look into adding RR craft to your skills, you'll be set for another 3-5years
Old 10-06-2009, 09:36 PM

Um, after about 3 seconds deliberation, NO.
I know Rover techs, and even they say that they wouldn't own one. Here's a good thing to ask next time you are at the RR dealer. "So, how many of your fellow employees own, not lease, Rovers." If he/she says they drive one, ask if it's still in warranty. Given the miles you drive, I feel that is a critical question you should ask.
Sorry man,
Nick

Last edited by nick 55; 10-06-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Originally Posted by eugeneC55
Thank you for all the replies, guys!
It seems that there is one common line in all of the answers: everyone feels strongly about RR, one way or the other. It also brings the question of the nature of any car purchase - is it practical, emotional or combination of factors?
Thanks again for your thoughts, gents, the quest continues!
Depends on what you think is practical really? At the time when I received it I was a bit tired of cars and welcomed the RR SUV overlooking the previous issues that others experienced. The class and design of the Range Rover made it hard for me to consider any other SUV in its class. The car is no doubt prestigious, cool, and comfortable. Plus if you enjoy a little offroading every now and then, the Land Rover name is what you should look for in my opinion. So it had all these things to offer in one and I went for it. However, as I mentioned the service visits are very often and that may not be considered as practical to have one thing or another malfunctioning or needing repairs that often.