S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Help! About Online SCN Coding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL550 650/201
Help! About Online SCN Coding

Anybody can tell me who can do the online SCN coding in Los Angeles area? my dealer told me "We don't have it". i need add some SA code into my vehicle.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
all dealers can do online SCN coding. Adding codes that did not come factory equipped on the other hand may not be possible.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM

2009 GL550 650/201
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
all dealers can do online SCN coding. Adding codes that did not come factory equipped on the other hand may not be possible.
I just want add 308 refrigerator, but all dealer say no to me, they said that thay can not do this because the refrigerator was not sale in US market, do you know someone else exclude dealer can do that?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by a3po911
I just want add 308 refrigerator, but all dealer say no to me, they said that thay can not do this because the refrigerator was not sale in US market, do you know someone else exclude dealer can do that?

Thanks
Why do you need that change, there is no SCN coding for the fridge retrofit as far as I know (I've done it myself and it works fine).

Or are you just after having your data card reflecting the real options in your car?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 AM

2009 GL550 650/201
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Why do you need that change, there is no SCN coding for the fridge retrofit as far as I know (I've done it myself and it works fine).

Or are you just after having your data card reflecting the real options in your car?
No, there was no start happened twice when car sits for 3 days,and lots low voltage codes checked by DAS in dealer, the tech guys told me that should be caused by the fridge, since i never turned off the fridge manually when i shut down the vehicle. then,the fridge will keep working and keep using lots of electric power from battery.
The only thing they can do this time was turned off the fridge and cleared all the low voltage codes and let me go.
But i don't believe that, i think doing SCN coding might resolve that problem.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Sorry I am not aware of any SCN coding needed, but we do not have the product in the USA so I am not familiar with it. I work at a dealer and I have been trying to get this done as well for a client, but have not been able to do it. The parts are blocked and if there is SCN coding will be more problematic since we could not SCN code options that were not from the factory. This is why there were so many issues retrofitting the rear tail lights with SAM programming to older vehicles. I contacted mid city who said they can do it, but they are too far from me and they gave me a contact in California, but they were also flaky and finally admitted they could not get the parts needed.

Last edited by JonMBZ; 07-22-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, there was no start happened twice when car sits for 3 days,and lots low voltage codes checked by DAS in dealer, the tech guys told me that should be caused by the fridge, since i never turned off the fridge manually when i shut down the vehicle. then,the fridge will keep working and keep using lots of electric power from battery.
The only thing they can do this time was turned off the fridge and cleared all the low voltage codes and let me go.
But i don't believe that, i think doing SCN coding might resolve that problem.
You must have plugged it incorrectly to the rear SAM. Where did you connect the power cable, did you use the factory harness?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Sorry I am not aware of any SCN coding needed, but we do not have the product in the USA so I am not familiar with it. I work at a dealer and I have been trying to get this done as well for a client, but have not been able to do it. The parts are blocked and if there is SCN coding will be more problematic since we could not SCN code options that were not from the factory. This is why there were so many issues retrofitting the rear tail lights with SAM programming to older vehicles. I contacted mid city who said they can do it, but they are too far from me and they gave me a contact in California, but they were also flaky and finally admitted they could not get the parts needed.
You can always order parts from Europe and you can do it without SCN coding (this is what I did).

Do your customers' cars have ski-bag (or the door for the ski-bag)? If the car does not have the doors from the rear seat to the trunk, you would need to replace a lot of parts.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Well I can't purchase the parts from overseas I was willing to send him to a place that has done the install and thatc's why I called midcity. There are a lot of road blocks being a dealer and a corporation that do not allow me to use their money freely or tinker with their cars. Also with the job never being done here by any techs also poses another issue just like the issue the OP has stated.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM

2009 GL550 650/201
You must have plugged it incorrectly to the rear SAM. Where did you connect the power cable, did you use the factory harness?
I bought the parts from Mr Steve MBenznl ,and all parts made by original Mercedes factory,"The fuse from the wiring harness to the fridge got connected to fuseposition 139 in the rear SAM which is powered by relay O", that's what Steve told me , and it can only go in one spot.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Did you ask him about your issues?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 PM

2009 GL550 650/201
You can always order parts from Europe and you can do it without SCN coding (this is what I did).

Do your customers' cars have ski-bag (or the door for the ski-bag)? If the car does not have the doors from the rear seat to the trunk, you would need to replace a lot of parts.
Yes, i also did retrofitting ski-bag , now i have the door in the trunk.
Just like the photo:
Attached Thumbnails Help! About Online SCN Coding-jy65galf02.jpg  
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 PM

2009 GL550 650/201
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Not yet, because i don't believe this issue was caused by fridge. that's the reason why i want to try SCN coding.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Not yet, because i don't believe this issue was caused by fridge. that's the reason why i want to try SCN coding.
Maybe that should've been your first step. You've got an unusual mod.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:21 PM

2009 GL550 650/201
Maybe that should've been your first step. You've got an unusual mod.
Yes,maybe you are right, i should ask him first.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fuse #139 is correct for the cool box. I assume you already had the O-relay in the car?

Have you measured if the cool box gets power when the car ignition is off? You can actually see it from inside if the buttons are illuminated or not.

The only thing I can think of is a bad relay or the consumer is somewhere else in the car, not the cool box. Have you tried unplugging the cool box cable and see if the current drain disappears?

In any case I cannot see how Steve could help here except by providing instructions to diagnose your car. SCN coding should not make the rear SAM behave differently for the O-relay drive and fuse #139 power states.

Could you take the easy measurements first?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 AM

2009 GL550 650/201
Fuse #139 is correct for the cool box. I assume you already had the O-relay in the car?

Have you measured if the cool box gets power when the car ignition is off? You can actually see it from inside if the buttons are illuminated or not.

The only thing I can think of is a bad relay or the consumer is somewhere else in the car, not the cool box. Have you tried unplugging the cool box cable and see if the current drain disappears?

In any case I cannot see how Steve could help here except by providing instructions to diagnose your car. SCN coding should not make the rear SAM behave differently for the O-relay drive and fuse #139 power states.

Could you take the easy measurements first?
I am going to unplugged the power cable and keep the vehicle in the garage for 15 days , i will see if the battery dead again.
By the way, My vehicle is 2010 model,do you think that's normal? i mean the fridge will keep working after i lock the vehicle. as i know ,W221 will cut off all the electric power except the anti-theft alarm after 45 minutes or 120 minutes, is that correct?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am going to unplugged the power cable and keep the vehicle in the garage for 15 days , i will see if the battery dead again.
By the way, My vehicle is 2010 model,do you think that's normal? i mean the fridge will keep working after i lock the vehicle. as i know ,W221 will cut off all the electric power except the anti-theft alarm after 45 minutes or 120 minutes, is that correct?
2010 wiring generally is quite different from the pre-facelift models, I'll have to have a look at the fridge if there is any difference.

So you did find the fridge being on even when ignition was off? At least it should be switching off after a short time period, it should be less than 45 minutes. I'm afraid it did not turn off at all which is not right.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:44 AM

2009 GL550 650/201
2010 wiring generally is quite different from the pre-facelift models, I'll have to have a look at the fridge if there is any difference.

So you did find the fridge being on even when ignition was off? At least it should be switching off after a short time period, it should be less than 45 minutes. I'm afraid it did not turn off at all which is not right.
I just did the test again, but now has 90 minutes past, nothing happened, the yellow light was still illuminated.may need more time, i will check it again in next 2 hours .
Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 AM

2009 GL550 650/201

Finally, after about 120 minutes passed,the fridge was turned off automatically, do you think that's right?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Finally, after about 120 minutes passed,the fridge was turned off automatically, do you think that's right?
This does not sound right. It should take 5 minutes if doors are locked or 30 minutes if doors are not locked for all switched consumers to turn off.

The rear SAM wiring appears to be the same for the pre-facelift and the facelift car, theoretically the software could be different but I still assume it should not run the fridge when ignition is off.

Can you test the rear seat power outlet, the one between front seats (not the cigar lighter but the power plug)? This one should switch off simultaneously with the fridge.

Did you measure your battery voltage after this 120 minutes of waiting? The car may have switched consumers off because of low battery (first step for consumer switch off). The fridge alone should not be able to make the battery voltage drop this much in two hours. You might test the same with the fridge cable unplugged and have something connected to the power outlet if it still turns off after two hours.

Looks like you should bring the car to an MB workshop unless someone at the forum has some good ideas that explain this behaviour.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM

2009 GL550 650/201
This does not sound right. It should take 5 minutes if doors are locked or 30 minutes if doors are not locked for all switched consumers to turn off.

The rear SAM wiring appears to be the same for the pre-facelift and the facelift car, theoretically the software could be different but I still assume it should not run the fridge when ignition is off.

Can you test the rear seat power outlet, the one between front seats (not the cigar lighter but the power plug)? This one should switch off simultaneously with the fridge.

Did you measure your battery voltage after this 120 minutes of waiting? The car may have switched consumers off because of low battery (first step for consumer switch off). The fridge alone should not be able to make the battery voltage drop this much in two hours. You might test the same with the fridge cable unplugged and have something connected to the power outlet if it still turns off after two hours.

Looks like you should bring the car to an MB workshop unless someone at the forum has some good ideas that explain this behaviour.
The power outlet was switched off when i turned off the ignition, and i test the fridge again, after 2 hours ,the fridge is off ,then i press unlock button in the remote key to unlock the door,the fridge will switch on , even i am not turn on the ignition.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 AM

2009 GL550 650/201

Today,I called my friend in china to ask him test his new 2010 S600 to find out if the fridge will still on when the ignition is off, his fridge equipped by original factory and that's a standard equipment with S600 in china.
The answer is the fridge was powered off as soon as he turned off the ignition, even not lock the car,the yellow light on the button also was off.
So,you were right, that's absolutely not right ,there must be some error in the vehicle.
First possibility,it looks like the O-relay did not work, i am thinking if SCN coding will activate some program in rear SAM to make the O-relay work?
Another possibility,the O-relay was bad,in that case,can i just replace the relay? or i shuld replace the whole rear SAM?
BTW,Can i connect the wiring harness to some other position in rear SAM which can powered off automatically as soon as i turn off the ignition.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The power outlet was switched off when i turned off the ignition, and i test the fridge again, after 2 hours ,the fridge is off ,then i press unlock button in the remote key to unlock the door,the fridge will switch on , even i am not turn on the ignition.
I double-checked from my car and concluded that both the power outlet for the rear seats (I actually have two power outlets and no cigarette lighter, this is a non-smoking car, standard in Europe) and the fridge turned on from ignition on and turned immediately off when I turned ignition off.

I've attached a copy of the wiring diagram from the rear-SAM. If your fridge is really plugged to fuse #139, I cannot see how the fridge would be powered differently from the power outlet. The fridge should not stay on if the power outlet is switched off.

I also checked coding options for the rear SAM and did not find any coding options related to this topic.
Attached Thumbnails Help! About Online SCN Coding-w221-rear-sam-fridge-power.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 AM

2009 GL550 650/201
I double-checked from my car and concluded that both the power outlet for the rear seats (I actually have two power outlets and no cigarette lighter, this is a non-smoking car, standard in Europe) and the fridge turned on from ignition on and turned immediately off when I turned ignition off.

I've attached a copy of the wiring diagram from the rear-SAM. If your fridge is really plugged to fuse #139, I cannot see how the fridge would be powered differently from the power outlet. The fridge should not stay on if the power outlet is switched off.

I also checked coding options for the rear SAM and did not find any coding options related to this topic.
It sounds the only reson might be the relay is bad? can i just replace the relay ? or i should replace the whole SAM?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! About Online SCN Coding