S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

HyundaiŽ Equus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
Indeed, competition is always good for the consumer.

Hyundai could have used the same strategy as Toyota and Nissan by marketing the Genesis and Equus under a different name and different show room, a la Lexus, Infiniti. But in the current economic conditions it would have been very difficult to ask Dealers to invest in new building, service area, etc.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:47 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I think it's ugly as sin, definitely not my style. I find it to lack the presence of a true prestigious Sedan, as it takes the "newbie" Japanese/Korean approach at attempting to do so (some gimmicks, copies, frills), but it lacks the seriousness, and is kind of a typical bubbly Asian looking car to me.

I actually prefer the Genesis' styling to it.

However, like them or not, Hyundai is on their way, and are doing big things. They probably will become the next "Lexus".

The interior of the Equis is okay, but again, it's like what I said about the exterior. It appears pretty nice, but it's more just a fluffed up version of that "thin" feeling standard fair Japanese car. It doesn't have that extra substantial "solid/heavy" feel of a good Benz, IMO.

People who aren't very detail oriented might not notice, and will think "Hey, whaddaya know, this feels EXACTLY like a Mercedes! For half the price!". But those who know their cars, will notice right away, although nice, it doesn't give you that exact feel.

However, again, I do wanna stress, sitting in this, and driving a Genesis, they do extremely well for their intent and price range.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 PM

08 ML350
What a joke-what MB driver would EVER drive a Hyundai? I mean, really, a Hyundai???!!! Maybe they'd "stoop" to Audi/Lexus but Hyundai---that's a whole other ball of wax people.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sienna SE, 01 S500, 05 LS430 UL
Wow, I was expecting more snobbery response.
Most members here can't handle when lexus is mentioned, let alone hyundai

Hey, at least hyundai has a v8 while acura's pathetic flagship is still a v6.

As for the equus, it's a nice step for them. They did do a lot of nice copy+paste exterior design.

I see them roaming around a lot and they're pretty huge.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:30 PM

08 escalade
Imo, it is nice looking car and you'll get s-class size for price of e-class. Like someone said earlier, no s-class buyer will settle this car, specially if you are looking for amg or 600 models. Equus is around 100k in korea and most owners have full time chauffeur. I think this car has better back seats than s-class, 7-series and a8. It wouldn't purprise me to see if Equus will replace lincoln towncar and deville and used as luxury taxi all over states. specially for used ones. It has right plat forms for taxi. high hp v8, rear wheel drive, big back seats, big trunk.

Last edited by v10boost; 09-30-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 AM

2007 S600
They're only going to make 2,000 so having a new dealer network wouldn't make financial sense. I think pickup/dropoff is a great way to go. My local Mercedes dealer does that for me as well.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
Some people really are that ignorant. come on, in 1970 if u showed up anywhere with a toyota u would get jumped. It's the same concept here wether you like it or not. The company grows stronger and stronger every year and are ever growing with consumer support. I myself would not buy the car but definitely stay away from saying noone is going to like this or that hyundai is an imitation. Like someone said, if u want an S class your going to get an S class, over a BMW or Hyundai. Every company starts somewhere, now a day people see a toyota like they see a honda,nissan, etc.. a reliable afforadable economic safe transportation. Ill tell you one thing if you are a smart investor (stocks) KIA and hyundai are places to be looking.

Last edited by 97W202; 10-01-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by 97W202
Some people really are that ignorant. come on, in 1970 if u showed up anywhere with a toyota u would get jumped. It's the same concept here wether you like it or not. The company grows stronger and stronger every year and are ever growing with consumer support. I myself would not buy the car but definitely stay away from saying noone is going to like this or that hyundai is an imitation. Like someone said, if u want an S class your going to get an S class, over a BMW or Hyundai. Every company starts somewhere, now a day people see a toyota like they see a honda,nissan, etc.. a reliable afforadable economic safe transportation. Ill tell you one thing if you are a smart investor (stocks) KIA and hyundai are places to be looking.
Well this is an MB enthusiasts forum so what response would you expect? I think part of the reaction to this car is the proposition that an Equus represents 80% of what you get in a S/7/LS/A8 for a considerably cheaper price and that it is going to sell on those merits alone. But we are not talking about the Accord/Corrolla purchaser profile at $60,000+. At this end of the market it is all about that final 20% - image, technology, heritage, safety, badge, dealer service, whatever the distinctive values are associated with a particular luxury brand and people will pay (a lot more) for that.

The Equus has none of these attributes. Instead it is a bland amalgam of copied cues and features and Hyundai has not even bothered to style it distinctively and give it a character. Price may make the Equus an Lincoln Towncar (Luxury Taxi) alternative, but how many private individuals aspire to say they drive one?

Chris
Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 AM

10 MB S550, 07 MB S65, 07 S600, 03 MB S430 Graphite Designo, (Sold w/227k miles)99 E430
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Well this is an MB enthusiasts forum so what response would you expect? I think part of the reaction to this car is the proposition that an Equus represents 80% of what you get in a S/7/LS/A8 for a considerably cheaper price and that it is going to sell on those merits alone. But we are not talking about the Accord/Corrolla purchaser profile at $60,000+. At this end of the market it is all about that final 20% - image, technology, heritage, safety, badge, dealer service, whatever the distinctive values are associated with a particular luxury brand and people will pay (a lot more) for that.

The Equus has none of these attributes. Instead it is a bland amalgam of copied cues and features and Hyundai has not even bothered to style it distinctively and give it a character. Price may make the Equus an Lincoln Towncar (Luxury Taxi) alternative, but how many private individuals aspire to say they drive one?

Chris
Exactly, I have to agree with what you are saying. A guy that I kno from my local Hyundai dealer called me numerous times to come test drive the Equus a couple of weeks ago. I finally went to do it. I drove the car for about 1 hour. After driving there in the S550 I could easily tell the differences such as: the Equus has more road noise, lower level of brakes, etc. things I somewhat expected. I can say a S-class driver probably won't switch. Neither will a true 7, A8, or LS driver, but a Cadillac STS or Infiniti M56 guy may give the Equus a run because you are actually getting more for what they would have spent on the Caddy or Infiniti without spending more money. Some of those guys may not buy it because they're wondering the same thing as me and others.....I wonder how the wear and tear will be on this car in 4-5 years? But all in all nice build Hyundai, but it probably would've helped if the price was a little lower although there are some people out there that will pay for it.

Last edited by In2MB's; 01-25-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
At this end of the market it is all about that final 20% - image, technology, heritage, safety, badge, dealer service, whatever the distinctive values are associated with a particular luxury brand and people will pay (a lot more) for that.

The Equus has none of these attributes.

Chris
False. There is no evidence to prove that the Equus is not a very safe car. Further, the dealer will pick up the car at your house...seems like a pretty convenient deal to me, and from what I've seen, the technology is quite good as well.

I happen to like this car a lot.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!

I think these are excellent points.

People who are into cars (those posting on IBBs for them!) won't be too interested in purchasing an Equus. These cars are for those who are too practical when it comes to buying a car, where the 40% saving on the price is worth more to them than an additional 20% of the experience. The S Class itself is a microcosm of that with the 600 being much higher than the 550 for some extra goodies, a nice interior and a better engine.

There will always be a market for high end goods, which I consider the S Class to be one, and people will pay exponentially more for that.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I'd love to pick up an Equus when it hits $20K in the Used market in 2-3 years. A lot of car for the money at that point, great Warranty, and will be a great DD to whatever primary car that I choose to "baby" at its expense.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM

10 MB S550, 07 MB S65, 07 S600, 03 MB S430 Graphite Designo, (Sold w/227k miles)99 E430
Originally Posted by K-A
I'd love to pick up an Equus when it hits $20K in the Used market in 2-3 years. A lot of car for the money at that point, great Warranty, and will be a great DD to whatever primary car that I choose to "baby" at its expense.
I can really see this happening, great point. I remember when VW dropped the Phaeton, I saw a few around my town pop up out of no where as dd.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
W221 2013 s550 Rwd
lot of people make ignorant comments because they get offended when lexus and other manufacturers are brought up. i have s500 , s600 , ls430 and lexus coupes. yes, as mercedes enthusiest we like to jump up and throw everyone else in the drain, but as oliverk has mentioned some people cant afford the s class or simply just dont want it because of the price. i do agree that hyundai has copied the styles and what not, but there trying to come up. my ls430 is a very nice and well designed vehicle, yes im saying this even though i own both s500 and s600. this car has never left me stranded and with 170k miles still runs like its brand new,my lex coupe has 250k, all electronics still function and i have no complaint to lexus because IMO they build outstanding quality vehicles. i love my mercedes' too!! s600 is just a class of its own , reliability with benz is definately coming back. to sum this all up , just wanted to say that everyone has there experiences with brands and status, i think if you drive what you makes you happy thats all that matters. thank you
Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by In2MB's
I can really see this happening, great point. I remember when VW dropped the Phaeton, I saw a few around my town pop up out of no where as dd.
Oh man, the Phaeton is another one. DIRT cheap on the market. I thought about picking one up, but to be honest, I'd be very confident about the reliability of an Equus, as it's still a Hyundai, engineered more simply, and is a part of a very mass produced appliance-oriented brand. the VW on the other hand can go awry and be very expensive to fix I'd assume.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 PM

1999 C43 AMG
quality would be the biggest concern - I've got an 11 year old C43 AMG with 90K + on it - still quick as can be, rides like a Merc on the highway and bullet proof. I would like to see if a Hyundai can say that in 11 years. Anyhow, keeping my C43 and picking up a 2009 S550 shortly - it's a wonderful vehicle, ride, comfort and style - love the S class. I'd have to pass on the Hyundai, just can't get past the first Hyundai in the states with bumpers falling off....literally - had a friend and sister who's bumpers just feel off as they were driving - mental note at that point to never consider a car with that type of heritage!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I think it’s a mistake keeping the Hyundai name. Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infinti, Honda-Acura, Mercedez-Maybach. It’s a mental thing. No one will pay $60k for a Toyota... but they do it all the time... it’s just a Toyota thats called a Lexus. Same thing here, who the hell is going to pay $50k for a Hyundai. But I bet they would if it was a Hyundai that was called something else.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:57 AM

2003 SL500, Lamborghini Gallardo
Originally Posted by Oliverk
1. if you need a benz to get girls, you have some personal problems.

2. it ain't an elantra. This is a full size car. You will be fine in a head on collision.
I have personal problems....
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM

C240
i would rathere drive my 02 w203 c240 than hyndai
Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
Originally Posted by sinaa
i would rathere drive my 02 w203 c240 than hyndai
Me no speak a engrish.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 AM

2003 S-500 4matic blk/blk
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have to disagree. Competition is not always good, check this:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/104092910195/proverbial-longevity-in-46-million-kilometers

Mercedes now has to make cheaper cars in order to compete with masters of imitations.

Originally Posted by Corsa9000
Indeed, competition is always good for the consumer.

Hyundai could have used the same strategy as Toyota and Nissan by marketing the Genesis and Equus under a different name and different show room, a la Lexus, Infiniti. But in the current economic conditions it would have been very difficult to ask Dealers to invest in new building, service area, etc.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

What does that Link have to do with the subject?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM

2003 S-500 4matic blk/blk
This link shows that Mercedes was doing better cars before those manufacturers came to set the bar lower.
The real question should be: what does hyunday have to do with this forum?

Originally Posted by K-A
What does that Link have to do with the subject?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 PM

'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
Originally Posted by msbox
This link shows that Mercedes was doing better cars before those manufacturers came to set the bar lower.
No, it does not. It just states that there is a person who managed to drive a much less complex Mercedes for a lot longer than many ordinary owners would. Nothing to do with the bar, everything to do with the exponential increase in the number of components and their complexity.

By the way:
" During this time the owner was able to call upon the original engine and two spare units, deploying them on a rotational basis 11 times in total."
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM

ML
Originally Posted by Red Marko
I must ask one question,
who has a better chance to pick up a nice chick,
the guy in Hyundai or Benz?
probably neither. both spend a good deal of time in shops.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HyundaiŽ Equus