S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Access to cigarette acc power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
Access to cigarette acc power?

Does anyone know where or how to access the wire to the acc/ cigarette power wire? I"m trying to locate that wire so that I can tap the power cable of my radar detector. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by phatisfy
Does anyone know where or how to access the wire to the acc/ cigarette power wire? I"m trying to locate that wire so that I can tap the power cable of my radar detector. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
yes, you slide open the cupholder/ashtray door and look for tworubber caps. under that are 2 screws. unscrewthose and pull out the whole cupholder/ashtray assembly and gain access to the backof the cigarette lighter. If you have one of the early interiors that doesnt have the screws present then you need to unbolt the center console and lift the whole thign up to get at the lighter wiring (4 T-30 bolts 2 in front and 2 on the back sides).
Old 01-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 4matic, ML350
Phat- does your radar work through the S windshield? I had to go to a grill mounted unit because mine was severely restricted with the radar reflecting glass we have...
Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by rob13572468
yes, you slide open the cupholder/ashtray door and look for tworubber caps. under that are 2 screws. unscrewthose and pull out the whole cupholder/ashtray assembly and gain access to the backof the cigarette lighter. If you have one of the early interiors that doesnt have the screws present then you need to unbolt the center console and lift the whole thign up to get at the lighter wiring (4 T-30 bolts 2 in front and 2 on the back sides).
Thanks for the info.I will look into that when I get a chance. I have mine tap into a fuse,and I would have to turn it on/off overtime.I hope I can figure this out.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by egauster
Phat- does your radar work through the S windshield? I had to go to a grill mounted unit because mine was severely restricted with the radar reflecting glass we have...
I have no problem with my V1. it is mounted near the rear view mirror where the dot matrix dots are.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:16 AM

S550 4matic, ML350
Oh cool. I have my speed pass on one side and the night view takes up the other side, so i was stuck... Glad it works for you! I loved my V1! Put it in my wifes car when i got the built in. Good luck with the wiring, another way to go would be the power from the install we did with the VIM module that didnt work. There is switched power from that port under the drivers side panel...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Oh cool. I have my speed pass on one side and the night view takes up the other side, so i was stuck... Glad it works for you! I loved my V1! Put it in my wifes car when i got the built in. Good luck with the wiring, another way to go would be the power from the install we did with the VIM module that didnt work. There is switched power from that port under the drivers side panel...
I tried that wire...but I don't think it is safe? Because as soon as I connected my V1 power cable to it,the parking brake light went on. And plus that wire is on constantly,so my V1 would always be on.I want it to turn off when the ignition is off.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 AM

S550 4matic, ML350
Thanks for the info! Didn't know that!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 PM

2009 S550V4 Saks Key to Cure
You can also place the detector at the bottom center of the windshield so it rests on the dash. There is a small square (best seen from outside the car on a sunny day) where there is no reflecting glass. From this location, you can hardwire the detector to the car. This is what I did for my Redline.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by vaiofan
You can also place the detector at the bottom center of the windshield so it rests on the dash. There is a small square (best seen from outside the car on a sunny day) where there is no reflecting glass. From this location, you can hardwire the detector to the car. This is what I did for my Redline.
It is highly recommended that the radar is mounted up high, so that the radar can catch the rear signals.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
It is highly recommended that the radar is mounted up high, so that the radar can catch the rear signals.
This makes sense in most other cars but the heat absorbing glass goes around the car so signal strength from the rear or sides is greatly reduced to make it almost useless.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by ima55r2
This makes sense in most other cars but the heat absorbing glass goes around the car so signal strength from the rear or sides is greatly reduced to make it almost useless.
My V1 perform exactly the same as my other car, with the V1 located in the exact location.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
My V1 perform exactly the same as my other car, with the V1 located in the exact location.
I don't know what your other car is but driving away in my other car from my testing source my V1 lit up like a Christmas tree and in the S at the same location there is a flickering one light. My GL had no reduced detection because it had the OE tinted glass and only heat absorbing at the windshield.

The best test, as mentioned in another thread, is setting up the detector in the car with the windows up and then trying it outside the car.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by ima55r2
I don't know what your other car is but driving away in my other car from my testing source my V1 lit up like a Christmas tree and in the S at the same location there is a flickering one light. My GL had no reduced detection because it had the OE tinted glass and only heat absorbing at the windshield.

The best test, as mentioned in another thread, is setting up the detector in the car with the windows up and then trying it outside the car.
I have it in my CLK,and in my Acura? Not to mention all my windows including the front windshield are tinted in my S class?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 PM

01 S2000, E46 M3, 99 ML320
So for a 2008 S550, the ashtray removal sounds the best way by removing those two screws?

phatisfy: Sweet looking ride, don't see too many S-class modded nicely! Most are just ghetto done like some drug dealer's ride with black windows and ugly wheels.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S-class
Originally Posted by s4play
So for a 2008 S550, the ashtray removal sounds the best way by removing those two screws?

phatisfy: Sweet looking ride, don't see too many S-class modded nicely! Most are just ghetto done like some drug dealer's ride with black windows and ugly wheels.
Thanks. Yes,just tap it to that location.