S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Drivers Seat exchange swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Drivers Seat exchange swap

so briefly heres the situation, my dad is hating the massage seat in the W221.

he has driven the car the past 14 mos and has loved the car, minus the seats...

the issue is, he believes that the components/hardware that is in the seat bottom and back for the massaging feature keeps the seats too hard.

we have played around with it extensively and not had any improvements

he has driven his w140 for 12 yrs, loves it , and even loves the ride/seats in teh w220....so much so, he is thinking of trading in the w221 for a 2006 w220

i hope not

we went to a few dealers and found some 2007's without the P2 package, they want around 60K for them and would offer us only 70K for ours...its at 25000 miles, 2010, p2, amg sport package with 19s, premium leather, door sills...

what i want to know, is there any way to swap out the drivers seat for one without the massage system, and how would i go about doing it...

i really dont want to part with this car, i think its great, but dad drives it, its his car he is the boss...but i hope to find a remedy

thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
Driver dynamic or multicontour seats add two components, I believe. One small adapter in the seat, one in the seat back. The technical name is adapter. Basically, they are a grid with air "bladders". They are not physically big. Zeroing out all the settings leaves unexpanded bladders. The only extra is the grid. Not to dismiss your father's comfort senses, but at zero, their presence is nominal.

Another option is to simply have the "adapters" removed; take out the option. This is tedious. It calls for leather removal, seat removal etc. There is an ecu on the seat back adapter that, when removed, should eliminate ability to "use" the option. Likely, removal would only have to be done on one seat, as it appears he's uncomfortable when driving.

I have attached (hopefully), an exploded parts view of the seats. You'll see #16 is the adapter or bladder unit for the seat back. The #17 shows the modest size adapter for the cushion. You can see they don't take up much room. I would guess they offer little rigidity when deflated.

Please know I am only an owner and not a professional. I am simply sharing my opinion, not giving advice or guidance. I have had issues with the multicontour option and have posted often here seeking help. What I just shared is based wholly on what I have experienced in trying to find out why the option always works for a while after clearing faults and then shuts down/faults out after a short while. I have spent/wasted hundreds at my MB dealer in diagnostics and new parts and still have a non-working option.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W221 Exploded Parts-seats.pdf (25.4 KB, 406 views)
Old 04-03-2011, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it looks like that item 16 is the bladders on the sides of the seats, that inflate or deflate ...i dont think its that that bothers him, i think its the parts that do the massage itself....there are 2 ***** that knead through the seat to the lower and mid back

even with all settings at 0, he feels that there is some aspect of those components at the lower portion that bother him....
Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by vdubpower

we went to a few dealers and found some 2007's without the P2 package, they want around 60K for them and would offer us only 70K for ours...its at 25000 miles, 2010, p2, amg sport package with 19s, premium leather, door sills...
It looks like the dealers want to do worse things to your Dad than the seats do.

Have you tried a car upholstery shop? They would be able to take out the offending components and put in some softer cushioning.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:22 PM

I agree. Have an auto unholstery shop gut it, restuff to mattress level and be done.

My hands on experience is the system/option appears to be engaged, if he is still feeling the "rolling *****".

To my exposure, there are no "*****" or in place items. Only the air bladders in the lumbar and upper back/shoulder area inflate and deflate in order, giving the "rolling wave", if you will, massage to the shoulder area and then it begins all over again at the lower hip/lumbar.

There are eight (approx. one inch by three inches in size) solenoids on the outside back of the seat back adapter that control the flow from one bladder to another. It's simply inflating/deflating at the chosen rate (choosable in the multi contour part of the display panel).

Driver seat is independent of passenger seat, each with own controls. On the exploded diagram you see two holes in the seat back. These are not related to the multicontour, as such. Those are ports, containing fans, which are part of the ventilated seats feature. They may confuse and look like "*****", of which you speak.

If you pull the carrier (item 2 in the diagram) and the adapter(s) (17 & 16) and all that's part of the multicontour, please don't just discard. Please PM me, as I may want to acquire, due to the struggles I am having.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
there is more to that seat than you think, I rebuilt 2 of those S class seats already, and know the limits of a good upholstery shop. you will need to find a "better" shop than the good ones.

there is a lot of info going to and from the seat, including airbag info. ensure they disconnect the battery or you will need a trip to the dealer to reset the airbag lights
Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what about a swap with a non multicotour seat

easy swap ??/ if i can find one
Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 PM

Finding a donor with the correct leather/color may be a bite. It's also not simply a situation of screwing down a multi in a non-multi S clas.

Go to a recycler. The whole seat for a 2007, depending on leather/color/etc., can run fairly cheap (under a grand). It's a dice roll (electronics, air bag etc), but an option.