S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Can nightvision camera be adjusted?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 s600 2007 cls63
Can nightvision camera be adjusted?

Long story short, had my windshield replaced by some local autoglass shop ($1800!!!) but when I got it back first thing I noticed is that the camera points down too far compared to before. Being the local autoglass shop of course they know nothing of this sort (as long as it still works) is what they care about. Dont want to take to the dealer since this was the reason I had the local shop do the repair. Anyone here know if the camera can be adjusted or is there a posting of how to "correctly" mount the camera? The housing is on correctly but I just dont see how before I can see farther ahead in traffic but now it shows just too much asphalt. Thanks
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM

S550, 2006 Range Rover Sports Supercharged
If the car is under warranty visit your local dealership. They should be able to adjust it for you for free.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 PM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
Thanks for the reply...took the car to the dealer and first thing they said was under no circumstance would the camera be misaligned unless tampered with. and ofcourse after they opened up the housing and found the camera slightly out of the mount, they said $145 please and I said ok. End of story.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550 4MATIC
Looks like there was $145 stuck in the camera mounting and they removed it
Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
They sure did!! Them stealers are great at doing this....
Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 PM

S550, 2006 Range Rover Sports Supercharged
Glad u got the issue resolved.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
LOL... However... I looked up the price of a windshield for your vehicle and OEM was worse case $1500, and I know they have a service tech at the dealership that does them and not outsourced as he replaced my friends S400 with night vision. and yes I can see how they unbolted the camera if they didn't know better.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:39 AM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
It was 1500 for the glass, 150 labor and 150 tax (sure's great to live where they charge you a whopping 10% sales tax)
Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I'd like to give mine back..........
Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 PM

'07 S550w/AMG AndGryw/prem.grey leath4matic Night Vision Distronic ,08 ML 350, YUKON XL,'71 ChevPU
Windshield coverage

Originally Posted by s600ed
Long story short, had my windshield replaced by some local autoglass shop ($1800!!!) but when I got it back first thing I noticed is that the camera points down too far compared to before. Being the local autoglass shop of course they know nothing of this sort (as long as it still works) is what they care about. Dont want to take to the dealer since this was the reason I had the local shop do the repair. Anyone here know if the camera can be adjusted or is there a posting of how to "correctly" mount the camera? The housing is on correctly but I just dont see how before I can see farther ahead in traffic but now it shows just too much asphalt. Thanks

In Colorado we have a law that states insurance companies cannot raise your rates if you have your windshield replaced. The average life of a windshield in Colo. is one and a half years. I buy windshield coverage for my MB. It is very inexpensive (only a few dollars a month) thru StateFarm (not advertising). One year I had my windshield replaced and two weeks later had to have it replaced again. I usually replace it every year or so anyway as it gets pitted with the gravel on the roads in the winter time and driving at night with the small pits in the windshield makes ones vision impared. The usual cost is around $1000 and is totally paid by insurance with no increase in premiums. They come to the house and change it in around and hour. They do not use OEM anymore but the replacement windshields I have had put in work like the OEM as far as I can tell. The company tells me their windshields are built to specs of the OEM. I don't know if that is true or not but I have had no problems with any I have had replaced. This has been my experience in Colorado with all of my vehicles.
Valiumvilla

Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 PM

2007 s600 2007 cls63
In Colorado we have a law that states insurance companies cannot raise your rates if you have your windshield replaced. The average life of a windshield in Colo. is one and a half years. I buy windshield coverage for my MB. It is very inexpensive (only a few dollars a month) thru StateFarm (not advertising). One year I had my windshield replaced and two weeks later had to have it replaced again. I usually replace it every year or so anyway as it gets pitted with the gravel on the roads in the winter time and driving at night with the small pits in the windshield makes ones vision impared. The usual cost is around $1000 and is totally paid by insurance with no increase in premiums. They come to the house and change it in around and hour. They do not use OEM anymore but the replacement windshields I have had put in work like the OEM as far as I can tell. The company tells me their windshields are built to specs of the OEM. I don't know if that is true or not but I have had no problems with any I have had replaced. This has been my experience in Colorado with all of my vehicles.
Valiumvilla
But dont they charge you deductible? Say your statefarm deductible is $1k, arent you liable for that each time you change your windshield? I have statefarm and when I asked them they wanted to charge the deductible.......BTW, no aftermarket w/s for W221 w/nightvision available...
Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Mercedes S350 2006
Mine is the same!!
Bought a 2006 s350. Couldnt test nightvision as it only works when its dark. But when i got home i saw that the camera points down A few feets infront of the car.

Anyone know how to fix it yourself?
Cant be that hard.....
Old 08-25-2016, 11:38 PM

Mercedes Benz S63
Night vision problem (inoperable)

Good evening, I need a little help. Maybe you Benz pros can give me a idea or two... I'm new to the group, I got a 2012 S63. My night vision comes on when I click it on.. If I am just sitting somewhere the night vision stay on, but once I'm driving for about 3-5 mins it shuts down. Then it says, "Night Vision" Inoperable...

Any suggestions ??
Old 09-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S600
It's an easy fix. Most window shops are lazy about this stuff - happened to me on a few vehicles.

The night vision camera in the windshield is supposed to attach very securely to a black metal bracket that is attached to the glass. If your camera is pointing too low - the window shop did not attach it properly, but you can fix this in 5 minutes.

What you'll need to do is locate the camera (usually right side of rear view mirror on LHD cars). Towards the bottom leading edge of the plastic housing around the camera you'll notice its hinged and can fold back (this is to allow you to clean the glass in front of the camera, clever!). Once you fold that flap back grab one side of the inside of the plastic camera cover and gently pull down to remove.

When the cover is removed you'll see the camera sitting there (attached, somewhat attached or not attached) with a VCDS cable coming straight out of the back into the headliner.

The camera has a black thin metal bracket surrounding it and it has two small round pegs on the top of it which you'll have to really get close to see. The metal bracket that is attached to the camera has two prongs that fold up towards the front of the camera - those are what create the tension to secure it.

For the next part exercise EXTREME caution as too much force will crack your windshield.

The round pins at the top/back of the camera should first be placed flush with the window bracket. Then you'll need to hold the front end of the camera firm to the front part of the window bracket and use a stubby standard screwdriver to push the tabs from the camera bracket back as you push the camera gently but firmly into place. Repeat for the other side and you'll feel it snap back into place. This will all make a lot more sense when you're actually looking at the camera.

Then snap the plastic cover back on and enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
JJKCMO (12-05-2021)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.
I replaced my windshield by safelite and they did an excellent job. I didn't even have to have the nightvision camera adjusted nor did I have any wiper blade issues.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Exige S | V70R | CTS-V wagon | JKUR | 13 S65 (Mocha/Armagnac)
Originally Posted by itschase
It's an easy fix. Most window shops are lazy about this stuff - happened to me on a few vehicles.

The night vision camera in the windshield is supposed to attach very securely to a black metal bracket that is attached to the glass. If your camera is pointing too low - the window shop did not attach it properly, but you can fix this in 5 minutes.

What you'll need to do is locate the camera (usually right side of rear view mirror on LHD cars). Towards the bottom leading edge of the plastic housing around the camera you'll notice its hinged and can fold back (this is to allow you to clean the glass in front of the camera, clever!). Once you fold that flap back grab one side of the inside of the plastic camera cover and gently pull down to remove.

When the cover is removed you'll see the camera sitting there (attached, somewhat attached or not attached) with a VCDS cable coming straight out of the back into the headliner.

The camera has a black thin metal bracket surrounding it and it has two small round pegs on the top of it which you'll have to really get close to see. The metal bracket that is attached to the camera has two prongs that fold up towards the front of the camera - those are what create the tension to secure it.

For the next part exercise EXTREME caution as too much force will crack your windshield.

The round pins at the top/back of the camera should first be placed flush with the window bracket. Then you'll need to hold the front end of the camera firm to the front part of the window bracket and use a stubby standard screwdriver to push the tabs from the camera bracket back as you push the camera gently but firmly into place. Repeat for the other side and you'll feel it snap back into place. This will all make a lot more sense when you're actually looking at the camera.

Then snap the plastic cover back on and enjoy.
Just wanted to resurrect this thread to say thanks. I was able to adjust mine using your tips.

FWIW, I didn't have to use hardly any force to get it loose.