S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

squeaky seats anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
squeaky seats anyone?

the driver seats has a squeaky noise when I go through turns and my body moves. I can force my body back and forth to duplicate the squeaks. Brought it in last week and they said they put some felt on the seats and it's not there but after a few days of driving it came back. Does anyone have squeaky seats? This dealer isn't doing a very good job, more than half of the things I pointed out were either "couldn't verify" or stated as normal.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C300
I have the same situation on my 2010. I have been to the dealer twice with it so far and they can't find anything.
In reality, when I had my '06 Audi, the level of service was substantially better.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 S550, 2013 GL450
I had exactly the same problem. They tried the felt and some grease. The noise came back 1 week later. They ended up changing the seat frame, that solved the problem.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C300
I am not happy with the service so far with my dealer (Rallye Motors in Roslyn, NY) but it could have been the service advisor I was using. My car is back in there (COMMAND stopped working...9K miles on the car!) with a different advisor. We'll see what happens.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
I had the same problem.And the dealer found out that the seat rail was broken,so they had it replaced.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550
It might also be the plastic covers over the seatbelt anchors. If you can repeat the noises by wiggling your hips left to right with your seatbelt on, see if you can also make it with your fingers by pressing on those covers. The covers can be replaced without taking the whole seat apart.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:11 AM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Originally Posted by blevinson
I had exactly the same problem. They tried the felt and some grease. The noise came back 1 week later. They ended up changing the seat frame, that solved the problem.
Spot on
Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 AM

'08 Designo S550, R32 Nissan Skyline
I came across this also while going through all the tsb's for our cars and seeing what was relevant to my car. This says the grease trick but I'd push for a new seat rail/frame it seems

https://mbworld.org/forums/2758343-post61.html
Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes S550
Originally Posted by bo_jangles
It might also be the plastic covers over the seatbelt anchors. If you can repeat the noises by wiggling your hips left to right with your seatbelt on, see if you can also make it with your fingers by pressing on those covers. The covers can be replaced without taking the whole seat apart.
I have the same problem on my 2007 S550. I would describe it as a creaking that only happens when you are moving a little in the seat. I mentioned it to my dealer and reproduced it in front of them by pushing the plastic and they said it was nothing out of the normal and was not something that would be considered a defect that could be repaired. Did your dealer replace it for you without any questions. I guess I should try comparing it to the passenger seat but never thought of it a the time. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 PM

2007 S550
It was a recent CPO purchase and these plastic covers broke when he took it apart to look at it, so yeah, they replaced both the driver and passenger side with no [extra] charge [other than recently buying this beast from them]

Last edited by bo_jangles; 07-10-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Its definitely the seat rail / seat track.
Happened to me as well - replaced.

Made the problem go away. Don't know how it broke to begin with.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:18 AM

I'm going to make an appointment to drop the car off when I get back home next week, the SA seems to ignore any comment I make when I try to point out the problems and the "HOW TO" resolve the problem but instead, he says the tech will look at it. From the sound of my seat it sounds like a rail issue. Felt is a band aid not a fix IMO.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I JUST NOTICED THE SAME PHENOMENON WHILE DRIVING MY CAR HOME TODAY! When I turn at moderate speeds, I hear a knocking/shifting noise from the seat. I can replicate it as well by wiggling, but I don't think its the seatbelt anchors (although they also do squeak while getting in and out of the car). Is the knocking noise the same thing?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
Originally Posted by amaycg
I JUST NOTICED THE SAME PHENOMENON WHILE DRIVING MY CAR HOME TODAY! When I turn at moderate speeds, I hear a knocking/shifting noise from the seat. I can replicate it as well by wiggling, but I don't think its the seatbelt anchors (although they also do squeak while getting in and out of the car). Is the knocking noise the same thing?
I had the same knocking noise when someone sat in the passenger seat. Dealer determined it was the seat frame and is replacing it. Of course Mercedes has made some changes since 2007 and now the seat cushion and frame come as one piece so the dealer showed a list price of $4000 for this repair (excluding labor) I've also noticed the same issue on the drivers side now, so I guess they'll also be replacing the same items on that side.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM

S550, 2006 Range Rover Sports Supercharged
I still have the same issue and also some creaking for the headrest whenever i go over bumps.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
Originally Posted by famous550
I still have the same issue and also some creaking for the headrest whenever i go over bumps.
heh... I actually have that issue as well but I figured I would just ignore it since they might get suspicious about all these seat issues I keep bringing up.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
My headrests creak too! Atleast I'm not alone...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 AM

56 C180K Evolution Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
the driver seats has a squeaky noise when I go through turns and my body moves. I can force my body back and forth to duplicate the squeaks. Brought it in last week and they said they put some felt on the seats and it's not there but after a few days of driving it came back. Does anyone have squeaky seats? This dealer isn't doing a very good job, more than half of the things I pointed out were either "couldn't verify" or stated as normal.
I had this very same problem with my c class coupe after about 6 months from new, the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the seat. Four years on the problem seems to have gone by itself, so maybe us owners just have to be patient. I'm wondering if this is a seating problem with Mercedes cars that were built after they decided not to "over engineer" them some years ago. We have a motoring TV show here in the UK called Top Gear, and I can remember the main presenter Jeremy Clarkson driving a new edition of the CLK a few years ago and the driver's seatback actually collapsed backwards whilst he was filming...it could have been a nasty accident. One thing is for certain, they aren't as robust as they once were and the dealerships customer service leaves a bit to be desired. Mine is now booked in for this coming Wednesday to finally try and sort out a grinding noise that was reported at the service before the 3 year warranty expired which they put down to brakes binding when I was turning right. These days the noise only stops when I turn left and has since been put down to a propshaft centre bearing, or a cv joint or even a torque converter, depending on who's opinion I'm expected to believe. Oh I sense a great expense heading my way, so I guess that's my last minute sailing holiday heading down the Swanny
Old 07-16-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
I had the driver seat creak/crack sound when under pressure in a modest turn. The dealer drove it and replicated the sound. They ordered and installed a new seat frame. Unfortunately they did not install the driver outboard cover front trim piece, you could see the springs etc. when you opened the door. The first order for that was for a different trim piece which the dutifully switched and they didn't notice the missing piece. I showed it to the tech who was embarrassed. They ordered the correct piece and it fit OK, but later at home I noticed after when moving the seat fully forwards the rear outboard trim was lying broken under the seat. Later I noticed the driver side underseat light was not connected or broken, so I shall have them look again at my next service appointment.

A bit of a saga, but just some points to look for beyond the obvious before you leave the dealer!

The seat noise is gone by the way.
I do get some rattles from the passenger headrest. Not loud but the car is so quiet you hear every little thing. I found that lowering the headrest seems to quieten it.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM

S550, 2006 Range Rover Sports Supercharged
I think all S class has the creaking issue. Took my car in today and 4 other people had the same issue. I'm really getting tired of the b.S on a 100k car.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes S550
I think all S class has the creaking issue. Took my car in today and 4 other people had the same issue. I'm really getting tired of the b.S on a 100k car.
Did your dealer do anything about the problem. As I said my dealer did not even want to bother with the problem.... not sure if I should find another dealer. I am actually now in the CPO portion of warranty so I am not sure if it would even be covered anymore.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM

My car is there now getting a brand new seat frame. You need to find a better SA or file a complaint when your survey comes in.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
The seat frame completely fixed the seat creak for me (warranty).

I had a rattle/creak that I traced to my front passenger headrest. Lowering it helps. I reset all the memory positions to the lowest and I haven't heard it for a while. I believe these are the two-piece active headrests, which are tied into the automated emergency adjustments, so I'm not keen to poke around.

It is interesting that the car is sooo beautifully quiet that a rattle which would go unnoticed in my MLs is clearly heard and can get irritating in the S class.

Any other tips?
Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 PM

2009 S550 4Matic
Just purchased a 2009 CPO S550 and while I absolutely love the car, I am starting to notice many creaks/squeaks/rattles as well. Coming from a 750Li that didn't have one squeak or rattle anywhere in the car, I am surprised by the build quality in this $100K+ car. (I am also surprised by the poor sound quality from the audio system but that's an entirely different topic.)

I have a loud rattle which I have determined is the trim piece below the 6 disc CD player and above the ash tray in the center console. That will be easy for the dealer to fix. I also have a squeak from the rear view mirror/night vision/rain sensor plastic cover which should also be easy to fix. But now I have been noticing that my passenger headrest rattles/squeaks over even the smallest bump. My 750Li was very quiet and I never noticed anything like this. I am really surprised that this hasn't been caught in MB testing. The car has such a smooth, quiet ride only to be marred by these annoying squeaks and rattles.

On the positive side, I haven't noticed my seat creaking.......yet.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 PM

56 C180K Evolution Sport Coupe
Well that grinding noise turned out to be one of the parking brake cables that run along the transmission tunnel had come away from one of its retaining clips and was catching on the propshaft. It took the dealer twenty minutes to fix and they did it for free (relief!!). On a bum note or two though, the creaking in the driver's seat has returned, also the other day I had the internal plastics off the tailgate to see why part of it has been clattering for such a long time every time I go over a bump...which on British roads is about every two feet, only to find that whichever Service Technician (same dealership) replaced the tailgate lock about eighteen months ago obviously hadn't a clue how to remove the plastics without breaking most of the retaining clips and mounts, so I found a fair few pieces of Velcro holding everything in place. I'm just glad I only bought a nineteen grand car and not a hundred grand one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: squeaky seats anyone?