S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

is there a difference in suspension between S and C mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(1960) 300d, S550 AMG S500 S600 560SEL
Originally Posted by C-DiZzY
I use "C" around town as I noticed that it starts off in second gear and rides a bit smoother . I use "S" on the highway and have noticed a slight stiffer suspension and a better response when accelerating. The last time I went on a 50 mile trip I noticed my m.p.g. was 25.4. Now I very well could be delusional from things I have done in my past my bad lol I lived a lil and Im definitely open for and a lil if Im wrong
well said and right evaluation and observation as compared to the rest of the forum blogger on this issue hahahahha,
Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 S550 4Matic, '06 BMW M5
Exclamation Check

Originally Posted by cool_lagoon
everything well said except the first issue regarding the transmission and suspension, for the S class it functions simultaneously, when activated on C mode the transmission gives you a shorter RPM shift while on the S mode it gives you a longer hold on each gear, plus the respond of the transmission is more stiffer when in S mode than C.

Yes you are right when you mentioned about the height, it is definitely not for adjusting the height, it is to have a stiffer or softer ride suspension and if people wants to heighten their car use the switch on the monitor console and once it is activated a message will show on the center cluster (vehicle rising)
Not sure I agree with you on your first paragraph. As Diesel Benz pointed out in his post, and as I have echoed in an early post on this thread, in the post-facelift MY2010 onwards S550, the suspension and the transmission have two separate controls for Sports and Comfort modes. Just wanted to clear that up. Besides, the OP gets the point, and is probably tired of this discussion now. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
im pretty sure that I've read on here that when doing speeds over 70mph the car does lower (not sure by how much)