S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

is there a difference in suspension between S and C mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
is there a difference in suspension between S and C mode?

I might be crazy but in C the car feels more boaty while in S it feels stiffer. Can anyone confirm this or am I exaggerating?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 S550 4Matic
I've been wondering the same thing. In my 2004 S500, there was a button for the C/S mode which only affected the transmission. There was a seperate button with three or four settings that controlled the stiffness of the suspension, anywhere from really tight/rough to very smooth.

Since the 2007+ models no longer have a button to control the suspension stiffness, I have been wondering if the C/S switch now controls this as well.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
S-class
The (S) mode is sport mode.And yes the ride will feel stiffer. In (C) mode,which I think stand for comfort, raise the car up a bit and the ride do feel softer.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Benzie63
Since the 2007+ models no longer have a button to control the suspension stiffness, I have been wondering if the C/S switch now controls this as well.
If it really bothers you, why not read the manual, it is all explained there.

Anyway this is correct, on the pre-facelift W221 the C/S(/M) button controls both the transmission program and the suspension settings. A separate button for the transmission (or the suspension if you wish) was brought back to the facelift model.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:20 PM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
The button is just for looks, it doesn't stand for Comfort or Sport mode like the manual and every other piece of documentation says.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Each work according to designation. I love mine in M mode makes that 5.5 take a beating. Also make sure your car gets the lastest software everytime it goes in for a service.

In S and M mode the steering tightens up moderately.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by babyman1737
The button is just for looks, it doesn't stand for Comfort or Sport mode like the manual and every other piece of documentation says.
You did forget a smiley from your comment, didn't you? I assume it was supposed to be a bit sarcastic, meaning the button does not do as much as you would want it to do (change the car behaviour)?

If you were serious, you should refer to some facts (I can give you some documents describing the implementation if you would like to read).

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2011, 09:22 AM

'10 S550 4Matic, '06 BMW M5
My car is the post-facelift model, so I have a "spring / damper" button on the dashboard next to the central display which controls the stiffness of the suspension. I do notice a difference between S and C, but at the end of the day, it's still an S-Class so even in "S" it isn't very "sporty." If I'm taking high-speed corners like on a freeway on ramp / off ramp, I'll frequently engage the "S" mode of the suspension to cut down on the body roll a little bit.
As for the transmission, that "C" and "S" button is on the console, near the COMAND controller. I use this one *VERY* rarely, partly because it's out of the way. The only real difference I've noticed is that it starts off in first gear in "S," whereas it usually starts in second gear in "C" mode.
Hey, it's a non-AMG S-Class, and I drive it in "C" and "C" for the suspension and the transmission 99.5% of the time. That's why I like it!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 PM

S550, 2006 Range Rover Sports Supercharged
Just another button to make the W221 feel like a sports car lol
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 AM

s550
i find that i also do better gas mileage on the highway when in sports mode
Old 08-09-2011, 08:45 AM

That's very interesting. Maybe I'll try that on my next long trip.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by starstylers01
i find that i also do better gas mileage on the highway when in sports mode
If you knew the technical evidence talks the opposite, you would also observe the opposite.

Actually if you are really referring to highway driving, you would be using the highest gear irrespectively of the C/S button setting and in that case there cannot be any difference either way.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 PM

s550
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
If you knew the technical evidence talks the opposite, you would also observe the opposite.

Actually if you are really referring to highway driving, you would be using the highest gear irrespectively of the C/S button setting and in that case there cannot be any difference either way.
no im pretty sure that when its not stop and go traffic or city driving, i average better gas mileage in sport mode, im pretty sure its not the opposite
Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 PM

s550
i also had a loaner C-Class this weekend and I had a long highway trip doing about 80 mph. When i would use comfort mode the avg mpg would go down, and when in sport it would go up again
Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by starstylers01
i also had a loaner C-Class this weekend and I had a long highway trip doing about 80 mph. When i would use comfort mode the avg mpg would go down, and when in sport it would go up again
Perhaps you were at the same time using a radiating device plugged to the cigarette lighter socket that improved mileage by 10%.

I appreciate your personal view but once there is no technical evidence explaining why fuel consumption would improve with S-mode at highway driving, I cannot conclude anything else than this being a case where the driver has certain expectations and then (unintentionally) changes the driving style to support the expected results. Many people who buy magnets that are attached to a fuel hose do observe a reduction in fuel consumption, guess why.

As I mentioned, at highway speeds you would be using the same gear irrespectively of the C or S mode and in any case the fuel consumption difference would not be significant. Any small change in the driving style (speed included) would make a bigger difference.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Lower consumption in the S mode is caused by lowered suspension by 1 cm thus aerodynamic drag is decreased.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Exclamation Wait a minute...

Originally Posted by Armadillo888
Lower consumption in the S mode is caused by lowered suspension by 1 cm thus aerodynamic drag is decreased.
Ummmm.....
With regard to the S-Class, I have a different understanding. Also, I believe we're confusing the two separate "S/C" modes for transmission versus suspension. One is .

Startsylers01 appears to be referring to the Transmission when he compares "S" versus "C" mode. This is evident when he brings the C-Class into the discussion, as the typical C-Class loaner car does not have the Airmatic system, and therefore, there is no Sport / Comfort setting to choose from for the suspension. The only S/C button in the car is on the gear selector for the transmission - I know this because my Dad has a 2008 C. It has no affect on the suspension. Here, I like Diesel Benz's contention that, in either mode, at highway speed in an S550, the transmission (if left in full auto mode) will naturally select the 7th gear for cruising. A gear is just a gear - it is a fixed piece of mechanical machinery that isn't changed by a software setting. The software setting changes the engine speed at which a gear is engaged, that's about it.

Armadillo888 appears to be referring to the suspension when he talks about ride height. In this case (again, according to my understanding) is that the Sport versus Comfort setting on the Airmatic suspension refers to the spring characteristics / rate of the air-filled shock absorbers only. When I change my 2010 S550 from Sport to Comfort or vice versa on the suspension, I observe no difference in the ride height. Of course, 1 CM referred to by Armadillo888 would be hard to observe with the naked eye. The only time I observe a difference in ride height is when I raise or lower the car via the Airmatic button next to the instrument cluster, I believe we all know which one this is.
Regardless, it is my understanding that the Airmatic lowers the car above a certain speed regardless of what the setting is (S -vs- C). In that case, with all other things being considered equal, the drag on the car would be the same for either the S or C modes of the Airmatic, with only the spring rate being varied.

Getting back to the OP, dannieboiz, he appears to be referring to the Airmatic suspension when he uses words like "boaty" or "stiffer." Indeed, it would appear that measuring results and answering his inquiry are entirely subjective. He hasn't inquired about fuel economy (in which case, I'm inclined to agree with Diesel Benz, given a lack of statistically significant data to the contrary). With regard to the feel of the suspension, it would seem more appropriate to offer our own thoughts, as I have previously. I still stand by my position that they feel different, but not THAT different because, at the end of the day, it is still an S550. Even the "S" mode isn't that sporty, and doesn't touch the stiffness of my M5 in its most comfortable damper setting.

I hope I don't get in any trouble for this post......
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 S550
I use "C" around town as I noticed that it starts off in second gear and rides a bit smoother . I use "S" on the highway and have noticed a slight stiffer suspension and a better response when accelerating. The last time I went on a 50 mile trip I noticed my m.p.g. was 25.4. Now I very well could be delusional from things I have done in my past my bad lol I lived a lil and Im definitely open for and a lil if Im wrong
Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This was mostly covered by the previous post but I'd like to add that the W221 does not go lower at all speeds when S-mode is selected (for suspension, be it from the separate button on the facelift or the combined button on the pre-facelift).

The suspension is lowered at high speed both in S and in C mode. However there is a minor difference in the speed figure where the suspension goes lower. At the highest allowed speed in the US the suspension level would be the same for both modes. At the vehicle max speed (say in Germany) the suspension level is also the same for both modes. At low speeds it is the same.

In any case, this argument is technically sound and I acknowledge it should be brought to the discussion. I'd like to hear from those who originally claimed S-mode gives better mileage, how fast are you driving at the highway?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(1960) 300d, S550 AMG S500 S600 560SEL
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
If it really bothers you, why not read the manual, it is all explained there.

Anyway this is correct, on the pre-facelift W221 the C/S(/M) button controls both the transmission program and the suspension settings. A separate button for the transmission (or the suspension if you wish) was brought back to the facelift model.
Diesel benz you perfectly hit the nail. hahahhaha
Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM

the C and S button functions not only to control the suspension stiffness or softness but its main function is to regulate the transmission for quicker down or shift up or for the C mode it becomes more of a smoother ride and shift at an earlier mode. (reference WIS ASRA
Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by babyman1737
hahahhaa your funny, of course they function not unless yours is defective. Read WIS ASRA or if you really have one of the 221 series then you'll know its for real
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by IDriveAnM5
Ummmm.....
With regard to the S-Class, I have a different understanding. Also, I believe we're confusing the two separate "S/C" modes for transmission versus suspension. One is .

Startsylers01 appears to be referring to the Transmission when he compares "S" versus "C" mode. This is evident when he brings the C-Class into the discussion, as the typical C-Class loaner car does not have the Airmatic system, and therefore, there is no Sport / Comfort setting to choose from for the suspension. The only S/C button in the car is on the gear selector for the transmission - I know this because my Dad has a 2008 C. It has no affect on the suspension. Here, I like Diesel Benz's contention that, in either mode, at highway speed in an S550, the transmission (if left in full auto mode) will naturally select the 7th gear for cruising. A gear is just a gear - it is a fixed piece of mechanical machinery that isn't changed by a software setting. The software setting changes the engine speed at which a gear is engaged, that's about it.

Armadillo888 appears to be referring to the suspension when he talks about ride height. In this case (again, according to my understanding) is that the Sport versus Comfort setting on the Airmatic suspension refers to the spring characteristics / rate of the air-filled shock absorbers only. When I change my 2010 S550 from Sport to Comfort or vice versa on the suspension, I observe no difference in the ride height. Of course, 1 CM referred to by Armadillo888 would be hard to observe with the naked eye. The only time I observe a difference in ride height is when I raise or lower the car via the Airmatic button next to the instrument cluster, I believe we all know which one this is.
Regardless, it is my understanding that the Airmatic lowers the car above a certain speed regardless of what the setting is (S -vs- C). In that case, with all other things being considered equal, the drag on the car would be the same for either the S or C modes of the Airmatic, with only the spring rate being varied.

Getting back to the OP, dannieboiz, he appears to be referring to the Airmatic suspension when he uses words like "boaty" or "stiffer." Indeed, it would appear that measuring results and answering his inquiry are entirely subjective. He hasn't inquired about fuel economy (in which case, I'm inclined to agree with Diesel Benz, given a lack of statistically significant data to the contrary). With regard to the feel of the suspension, it would seem more appropriate to offer our own thoughts, as I have previously. I still stand by my position that they feel different, but not THAT different because, at the end of the day, it is still an S550. Even the "S" mode isn't that sporty, and doesn't touch the stiffness of my M5 in its most comfortable damper setting.

I hope I don't get in any trouble for this post......
everything well said except the first issue regarding the transmission and suspension, for the S class it functions simultaneously, when activated on C mode the transmission gives you a shorter RPM shift while on the S mode it gives you a longer hold on each gear, plus the respond of the transmission is more stiffer when in S mode than C.

Yes you are right when you mentioned about the height, it is definitely not for adjusting the height, it is to have a stiffer or softer ride suspension and if people wants to heighten their car use the switch on the monitor console and once it is activated a message will show on the center cluster (vehicle rising)
Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
OK OK I GOT THE POINT!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 PM

hahahaha may i know where you got this fictional information? the C and the S mode does not make the car rise or lower there is another switch for that rise and lowering function located on the center cluster, it merely stiffen or soften the air pneumatic pressure on the suspension strut.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is there a difference in suspension between S and C mode?