S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

How many contacts can address book hold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 s550v4
How many contacts can address book hold?

Does anyone know how many contacts the address book can hold ?

(2007 s550 with MB Bluetooth Puck, updated COMAND with DVD and Traffic, etc.)

My Blackberry Bold 9930 loads fine, phone works and it pushes contacts into addressbook etc, but only seems to load about half....e.g. A-M with nothing in the N-Z range...any ideas or specs or ?

Thanks to all,
Dane

Old 01-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 S550, '92 500SEL
I have the same problem. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 phone and my phone book will only download to the beginning of S in my contacts. I have reviewed the service bulletins and found one that mentioned this problem. I took my 08 S550 to the dealer this past week to have the Command Center update but it did not help. I did show them the post with the service bulletin since their service technician could not find it in their system. I have over 600 entries which include friends, family and business contacts. If there is a limitation, it would have been nice for MB to tell us this. Maybe they can reallocate some more memory to the address book. Does anybody have any more updates to try to fix this problem?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 PM

S550, 2006 Range Rover Sports Supercharged
How many contacts do you have in your phone? I have about 250 contacts in my iPhone 4s and all contacts come up on my command screen..
Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 AM

2015 s550v4
I am sure I have around 800, like Cincy1 I have both home and business contacts with mobile, home and office phones for most...but that isn't really a whole lot of memory I would think?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM

CLK500
Phone Book

I have a Blackberry 9900 and the BT works fine with the small black puck installed in 2006 CLK500, but it only downloads phone book from A-M. I have about 1200 contacts in the 9900. I can see where voice command would come in handy as the system to find a name to dial in the command center is pretty kludgy unless I am missing something.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 AM

'08 S550, '92 500SEL
The other thing that was weird about the set up was the fact that the previous owner had about 5 people set up under voice tags and those people are showing up in my contacts in the Command Center. I had to explain to my wife that I do not know a Cindy or Frankie with a NJ area code although they were showing up on the screen mixed in with my contacts. I haven't figured out why or how they are stuck in the memory of the BT puck or command center.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM

CLK500
Any idea how to delete the contact list in the command center and start over?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
You have go on central command, select service and then clean the system back to factory spics.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM

2015 s550v4
Seriously, does anyone know if there is a way to have all the contacts load into the COMAND? I need to call people with names in the N-Z range <grin>
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Maybe a work around as adding letter 'A' to a name, like "A Tom"
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM

'08 S550, '92 500SEL
According to Skylaw:

Partial BT Phone Book Downloads - Partial Solution
I have an MHI equipped car with the AWS/MB RAZR V3c/V3m Bluetooth cradle and a Verizon RAZR V3c operating under AWS "approved" firmware. What follows may not apply to all phones or BT pucks, but may answer some of the "partial phone book download" problems that appear on the forums.

The particular problem appears as failure to load names of individuals, possibly together with their numbers, after a download of a Bluetooth phone book, even if the names have loaded successfully in the past - a "partial download" of the BT phone book. It seems that this problem may occur from one or both of two situations: 1) where you have entered a name in the voice control/recognition system as well as on your cell phone, or 2) you have multiple phone numbers entered under a person's name on your cell phone - but in either case the person's name will not appear in the COMAND or instrument cluster display. You cannot scroll to or select the name. In some cases, you cannot see the number, either. The multiple entry of numbers under one name has been often discusssed, but because the initial appearance can be the same as the first problem, I'll include it here.

Problem 1) If you enter voice phone book entries into COMAND through your Voice Control (recognition) system that contain the same numbers listed (with names) in your cell phone's phone book, they will appear only as phone numbers on COMAND and in the instrument cluster display; the names associated with the number will not display no matter what you do - switching between alphabetical/numeric display, and pressing "display" will not show the name. The numbers do not disappear, however - they appear after the very last name listed for which you did not make a voice control entry, at the end of your phone book on COMAND.

The quick solution is, if you have entered dialing instructions into voice control/recognition sysyem, delete the voice entries in COMAND (by selecting and deleting each number on the COMAND screen for which you made a voice entry; they're at the end of the list of names) and re-load the phone book; the names will now display (in some cases, the names and will reappear without reload when you delete the number if the phone book had in fact downloaded properly).

Problem 2) If you enter multiple numbers, e-mail addresses, and so forth under one name, every name for which you do that will be grouped together as a single entry, "several numbers" on COMAND, and both the names and numbers will be inaccessible from COMAND or the instrument cluster display. They remain available on your cellphone, but you seem to have lost them on COMAND (or gotten only a partial download).

The quick solution is, use only a single phone number for a name. Repeat the name, possibly with additional identifying information, for multiple numbers. Then go into your phone book on COMAND (not the voice control phone book) and delete the entry "several numbers." ALL the names, formerly grouped under one entry as "several numbers" will now display properly as names in the "ABC" mode, and ALL the numbers will now display in the "123" mode. They will not display as individual names and numbers, even if you change them in your cell phone's phone book, until you do this deletion.

Discussion:

When I removed my plug-in V710 cradle and phone, and installed the BT cradle and RAZR, the voice phone book I had loaded into the Voice Control system for the V710 disappeared. My RAZR BT phone book downloaded, except that where I had multiple numbers listed under one name, ALL such listings appeared as a single entry on the COMAND display - shown as "several numbers." Neither the numbers nor the names appeared on the MFD (instrument cluster display) at all. The"several numbers" was a single entry for all the people with multiple numbers listed, and neither the names nor the numbers were individually accessible. The names of the people having multiple numbers also failed to appear on either display. Thus they seemed to have "disappeared" from the phone book on COMAND, although listed in the phone itself.

I re-entered numbers into my phone as single entries for each phone number, deleted the single entry "several numbers" from the COMAND phone book, and COMAND and the MFD properly displayed each name and number. That's the answer to one "partial download" problem.

However, after getting a good and complete phone book download, I then entered a limited set of the names and numbers orally into COMAND voice control. When I did, the names disappeared from the COMAND phone book and MFD display, and only the numbers appeared - at the end of the listing of names of all of the people for whom I had not entered voice dialing information. No names could be displayed with the numbers I had entered orally into the Voice Control System - although all could be dialed by voice (by name or by number) - and of course, the numbers could be dialed by selecting them in COMAND or on the MFD. One would have to remember the name that went with the number.

As I deleted the voice entry for each individual, the person's name once again appeared (in its proper alphabetical location) on the COMAND and multifunction displays. That's the solution to the second "partial download" problem. There seems to be a conflict between the Voice Control voice dialing system and the Bluetooth phone book that prevents the display of names associated with numbers entered in both.

I do not know why entry of voice dialing instructions deletes the display of name in the phone book after a BT download. This did not happen with my plug-in V710 system. However, when it occurs, the appearance is one of a "partial" download of the phone book.

Caveats: This post does not address phone book entries that exceed the storage capacity of your COMAND - only what I have listed. I have not tried this with BT pucks, though I suspect they work the same way as my RAZR/BT combo cradle. I definitely cannot answer questions about specific phones and puck combinations. All I can say is, give it a try - and be aware that other problems (especially firmware incompatibilities - e.g., "unapproved" firmware) may prevent proper phone book downloads.

This problem stumped the tech support folks I spoke to at the dealership about it yesterday, and it took my sorting through 5 sets of instructions at once to work this out - COMAND, Voice Control, Phone, Bluetooth Cradle, and my cell phone instructions (the solution is in none of them - just the procedures for clearing, pairing, entries, etc.). Nightmare. Hope this helps someone.

Maybe we are just over the limit they have allowed for storage.