S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Updating Telematic of 2007 s550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by mcypert
Thanks again BOTUS:

Makes sense ignition may need to be on. I made the assumption that, because everything on the COMAND screen works, accessory only would be okay.

So, I gave it a go... Three times actually...

First time, "Loading Navigation" (LN) was on the screen and it flickered during the loading and "download complete" didn't stay long enough on the screen to let me press "OK". However, manual eject and key on and off allowed it to go to the street view. Until, I turned it off and walked away. LN returned.

Second time, I reset COMAND-- which allows LN to go away-- and DVD installed with it ejecting on its own after I pressed "OK". Street screen appeared, until I turned off the car. LN returned. Come back an hour later and still LN. LN still on next day...

Third time, I repeated DVD install but left the ignition "on" for 2 hours after Navi was fully load and street screen had appeared. (The thought being, give the hard drive plenty of time to "find a place" for the 4-5G of Navi data it was just force-fed.) Then, I let it sit "off" for an hour. LN back...

BTW, voltage was okay-- 12.6V-- even after 3 hours "on" with charger connected.

So, it looks like my Navi is FUBAR for a while. I can call it up with a COMAND reset and don't really need it... Just don't like it not working... Maybe it will start working if I quit tinkering with it...

Regards... Mark
The Map discs and the OS/HDD are designed with several failsafe features in mind. If you interrupt the Maps update, it will revert to the previous map. The COMAND is designed to store several Maps, for several reasons - an update failure, etc. Only after a successful update will it erase an old, working map.

There are ways to update the COMAND without online access, but it requires patience and following instructions closely.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 774 Likes on 653 Posts
S500
I came across something intriguing the other day.....

got confused over what I was seeing in the hidden menus.... had to look up what DRG meant - Dynamic Route Guidance.
So DRG TMC makes lots of sense as it does it. But what does DRG GSM do? That sounds live live traffic, via mobile data reception which the NTG3.0 doesn't do ???
And where does read aloud traffic messages come in - when you get Linguatronic ???
Old 11-08-2020, 06:37 PM

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts
2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks Guys:

As BOTUS said, I've probably given it a headache. It is certainly reciprocating...

I tried a few more things:

I used DAS to "deactivate" Navi. When I restarted the car it said something like, "... Insert navi DVD" which I dutifully did. Next, it said V15 was already installed-- as Polar Bear said, it hadn't erased it. But, I continued with another install and screen went to street view. However, it went back to its "hit or miss" Loading Navigation (LN) screen on restart.

Driving the car seemed to lessen the LN interval but still seems to cycle from working to LN, with LN appearing after only a few minutes off.

I found a curious, but possibly revealing, quirk using DAS "restart optical ring" (I've learned from https://us.autologic.com/news/merced...-bus-diagnosis that's the fiber optics that allows communication between components). After the "restart optical ring", the Navi starts working after being stuck on LN. What does that tell me? Well, for me, not much. I'm going to check for faults in the optics with DAS, but I'm almost sure I've never had any.

Just as "reset" of COMAND clears the LN screen, so does "restart optical ring". So, I'm guessing "reset" restarts the optical ring after deleting memory. But, why am I getting (possibly) an incorrect reading from the optical ring on a restart of the car? And why not every time? Weird...

Polar Bear, I've seen your posts about updating Telematics but haven't found any instructions. Are they posted? You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks again...Mark

Last edited by mcypert; 11-08-2020 at 08:57 PM. Reason: link incorrect