S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Updating Telematic of 2007 s550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
One thing worth mentioning... during the process it will update the units one by one and then tell you to remove the media. DO NOT REMOVE THE MEDIA. It will go onto the next step automatically. It will be very clear when you need to remove the media. I ejected all discs in the changer and inserted the disc in slot 6 and started the process.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S550 Designo Edition
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
If it will help, I can post a photo of the Telematics Update disc with the part number they need to have on hand when your car arrives. Sounds like they don't do too many of them anymore so it's possible they may not have it.
PolarBear, please do.
I have a feeling I might encounter some "lack of memory" at the dealership. Being equipped with the info & suggestions, though not part of the process (they don't let customers in the work area), should assist in performing the update properly and in a timely manner (foreman indicated it also depends on servers traffic, as some of the update is downloaded from MBUSA...).

Last edited by adf111; 07-24-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
The foreman is incorrect regarding it being downloaded from servers. Although online access on the diagnostic machines in use at the dealership is needed to "kick off" the process, none of the telematic software is actually downloaded - it is all contained on the update media that they should have in their shop.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 AM

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MB of Anaheim did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Nav look, including miles left & ETA, traffic ("no messages"), and still haven't figured the rest of updates.
Cost $175

Service manager is the champion. Quoting him: "If it's on WIS and parts are still available, we can do it!".

Now to next projects:
* Extra key (Current quote $429, including the new blade & programming)
* AUX in glove compartment (current quote $560 labor + $56 for that cable)

Last edited by adf111; 07-27-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 AM

Two leads on telematics update in Orange County

Anaheim Mercedes - They charged for the telematics update, 1 hour labor, including a loaner and car wash. It took ~6 hours!
They charge 3 hours + cable cost to install AUX in the glove compartment.

Rocco's Auto Tech in Costa Mesa, does both telematics update and AUX install. I don't know the price for the update, but for the AUX he charges $349. Great work, took about 30 minutes!

He's an MB audio super expert!
Old 03-01-2018, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I found this on ebay

Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F32 3098980786

please let me know if this is gonna do the job id like to see the dvd and be able to watch dvd
Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Your eBay link is bad, please correct it
Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221
w221 command

Can You please identify the type of command its NTG3 or NTG 3.5
LU ; A 221 900 62 02
HW ; A 221 901 7700
SW ; A 221 902 57 01
made by Panasonic
Advanced Thanks
Old 10-19-2020, 01:34 AM

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts
2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Originally Posted by kn51
There are two pieces:

Telematics update: This updates COMAND software for birds eye view, DVD video, etc.
Navigation update: Separate DVD to update the maps.

To be honest, the Telematics update for you car should take an hour. I did mine myself. Basically fire up DAS, tell it to update, insert the proper CD when prompted and off it goes. This is beyond the range of most DIY types as it actually requires the STAR diag type stuff. But, it is so damn simple no dealer worth their salt should give you a blank stare or quote you an obscene amount of time to do it. It is a very worthwhile upgrade.

For those curious on how simple this is for the dealer to complete...

Under main list of components of the car, pick Communications.
Then pick COMAND.
Select adaptations.
Select upgrade.
It will tell you the exact CD#required and tell you to toss it in the CD player/changer. Then you hit upgrade. Done. It isn't rocket science.

As for navigation DVD, that is a DIY job. Just insert the DVD and it will prompt to update. Just make sure battery is under continual charge or keep car running during process. It think it took around an hour for this step.

As for the AC, in the coding is a setting for the AC clutch mechanism. It just needs to be toggled to get the AC working if it doesn't. Again, 2 minutes of time.

Dear All:

This may have been answered elsewhere-- like in this post-- but, I'm kind of at a dead end and didn't want to mess up.

This started with updating Navi. Didn't exactly work with an Ebay advertised V15, that came labeled as a V14 and was... in fact, a V13! Trying again with another advertised V15 that's on the way.

But, I started looking at Telematic update and was trying to find out if my MY 2007 S600 had it. Anyway, a pic is worth... you know... I was following kn51's tutorial above...

So is that a 2006 version or a 2012?

Next, I looked at what CD/DVD I might could use:

Note, it says CD/DVD is "possible". Then:

I didn't blur that out... So, on to F2:

Dunkoff!-- my mother, who spoke German before she spoke English, said that actually meant, "sh**-head", at least in her part of central Texas...

So, F3 or F4? I don't have the CD/DVD so, it's academic at this point... BUT, discretion being the better part of cards... I stopped there...

So, any input is welcome at this point. I'm using DAS version 07/2015, I think, if that makes a difference.

Regards and Thanks... Mark
Old 10-19-2020, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 757 Likes on 641 Posts
S500
you are confusing me with v13 14 and 15 that sounds like the map updates
that's got nothing whatsoever to do with the software for TMC and Birdseye updates that came out in 2008

If you check out the clock update post by polar bear … you'll find away to trigger updating via the in car controls.... and the unit firmware/software update CDs are available from your dealer....
if its an early car the AC compressor needs to be re-enabled afterwards
Old 10-20-2020, 02:55 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks BOTUS:

Sorry for the confusion about V13, V14 and V15. I wasn’t asking about those but mentioned it because I was having trouble (“Uploading Navigation" frozen screen) with the Navi update and that led me to ask about the Telematics update.

Originally Posted by mcypert

This started with updating Navi. Didn't exactly work with an Ebay advertised V15, that came labeled as a V14 and was... in fact, a V13! Trying again with another advertised V15 that's on the way.

But, I started looking at Telematic update and was trying to find out if my MY 2007 S600 had it.
"Some Say"... a problem with the Navi update is related to the lack of a Telematics update. I don't know, but I don't have "Bird's-eye view" Navi so, I guess I don't have the latest Telematics.

I got as far as the 4th screenshot above on DAS and had to decide "Lady or Tiger" with the German F3 and F4 prompts on DAS. I stopped there and asked... (I've since tried F3 and F4, and both lead to the same result: You have to have XENTRY flash authorization, which I don't have.) And, I'm not proficient enough with DAS to "work-around" it. But, I don't think I've "bricked" anything...Yet...

But, many thanks for the Polar Bear "clock update" trick. I searched and found your, and Polar Bear's, instructions to perform the update without DAS. (I've downloaded your CD data and may give it a try, although I can't say the clock time has been much of a concern... Very cool though...)

BTW, here's that link for others that may have missed it: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...me-issues.html

So, if I understand correctly, DAS is not the way to go to update Telematics? Get the CD from the dealer and use the instructions for "Installing the Update onto the COMAND" on the engineer's access to install it???

I searched and found the MB CD part # as: 221-827-06-65-26 for the Telematics update.

Can someone verify this is correct? (There is no dealer description of this part #, other than it's a CD-ROM.)

Better still, is there a way to download the data to burn a CD?

Again, many thanks... Mark

Old 10-20-2020, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
the clock fix is ONLY a section of the Comand system update...… I was NOT saying you can use to get birds eye (it can't do this). I was
a) helping you find the next update you need once you updated to the birdeye fix.
b) suggesting a method THAT may allow you to run a full telematics update without using STAR / DAS
any updating needs a very powerful power supply.... the clock bit can be done in 10 mins with the engine running, a complete telematics update might be 3 hours, for some reason dealers always say to put the last mapping update on the car before the update. (I don't think its needed)

the clock fix is believed to run, but do nothing to fix the time and date until its running the last update
Old 10-21-2020, 12:45 AM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Originally Posted by BOTUS
the clock fix is ONLY a section of the Comand system update...… I was NOT saying you can use to get birds eye (it can't do this). I was
a) helping you find the next update you need once you updated to the birdeye fix.
b) suggesting a method THAT may allow you to run a full telematics update without using STAR / DAS
any updating needs a very powerful power supply.... the clock bit can be done in 10 mins with the engine running, a complete telematics update might be 3 hours, for some reason dealers always say to put the last mapping update on the car before the update. (I don't think its needed)

the clock fix is believed to run, but do nothing to fix the time and date until its running the last update

Thanks again BOTUS:

Got it!

Does anyone know if the engineer access method, as outlined in Polar Bear's clock update, will work with the MB CD-ROM for updating the Telematics? If I'm understanding BOTUS's suggestion, IT MAY, but has anyone done it?

For clarity, what brought me down this path was, updating Navi with an Ebay V13 DVD. I didn't (don't) have the Telematics update and now have "Loading Navigation" on the Navi screen. Hence, my desire to update the Telematics, which I can't do with my version of DAS, even if I had the 221-827-06-65-26 CD (and still not sure if that's the correct CD)... I know I need the Telematics CD. Just looking for confirmation of which one and what the hell to do with it if I get it (...DAS not allowing me to use it and all)... BOTUS has given me a great start... Anyone else?

Thanks again to all who are looking at this very old thread...

Regards... Mark
Old 10-21-2020, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
"loading navigation" after a map update is normal...

to load European maps from a dual layer dvd takes 46 minutes and the battery will die without support. The disc actually says do it with the engine running !

I've done it three times, each time if says failed and spits the disc out after 2 mins of making noises, you just push it back in and it loads fully second attempt. Once loaded you get the message loading navigation frequently for the first few weeks (usually its for 30 seconds or so and diminishes).... then you never see it again. That happens with a genuine disc purchased from the main dealerships....
Old 10-21-2020, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A quick way to determine if you likely have the last update released, and you have a 2007 W221 US Code 494 vehicle is look and see if the VIdeo menu is omitted from the top horizontal list of selections.

There have not been many Telematics (or map releases sadly) for the US NTG 3. If yours has been updated, you will see Navi Audio Telephone Video System on the top menu bar. If you do not have Video, your system is running the early release of the COMAND software. Although I have no sources to cite to verify or support my theory, I presume when the W221 was launched in the US with the clear intent of having DVD Video playback functionality, there apparently has been a great deal of pushback by the USDOT, Congress, or another entity with a great amount of pull to prevent the ability for automakers to install video devices that are in view of the driver. Although from what I have heard, it is against the law in all or almost all states to have any video device playing in view of the driver.

The W221 did comply with this., and placed high restrictions on how the functionality could be used, but the W221 AFAIK the W221 was likely the first production car to have this functionality. The only additional restriction that could be applied would be the Parking Break Engagement requirement,
But if is required to be in Park, you would not be moving at all in any event.

To answer you original question regarding updating the standard Telematics release using the Engineering Mode option to update the system, the answer is no.

For a self-update to take place in the head unit without being jump started with DAS and SCN, additional files must be on the media to instruct the unit how to process the firmware that’s is normally provided by DAS. If you compare the root folder on both medium that could provide a potential template to use and folder structure
Old 10-21-2020, 11:29 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks Guys:

BOTUS, as far as I know, I have successfully updated the Navi. I let it run with the ignition on until it got past the "Loading navigation" screen and, it worked. It took well over an hour. However, next day, it hangs on "Loading navigation". Not just for a few seconds or minutes but hours. Reset of COMAND allows it to load, but only once. I've read so many posts, I'm not sure what the consensus on the solution was, but I thought it was to update the Telematics. Anyway, I'll let it take its time and see if it ever loads. I have a V15 DVD coming in a few days, so may try that one and see what happens. But, thanks for the tip on just letting it "find its way..." (Pun intended)...

Polar Bear, interesting... I don't have Video on the COMAND menu. DAS says I have the following:

That doesn't tell me much but the "status" at 12/2006 and 14/2006 (Mfg date = 11/06), makes me think it has the COMAND software it was born with...

As stated, my 2015 version of DAS wants the XENTRY Flash authorization. So, looks like I'm SOL for a self-update, even with the Telematics update CD... You mentioned jump starting with DAS, but that's probably above my paygrade (I'm an ME, not an EE).

One more question, if I may: Is there a simple method for using the "XENTRY Flash required" 2015 version of DAS to make the car load the MB Telematics update CD? Emphasis on "simple"... I know others, possibly you and kn51, have done it...

Muchas Gracias from almost Mexico.... Mark

Last edited by mcypert; 10-21-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
If you search through some stuff konigstiger posted years back under service bulletins... USA cars comand stuff was always a bit of a pickle

P-B-82.85/512a SEPT06 – Telematics System software update.

SYSTEM CONDITIONS:
- Sporadic resets of the COMAND head unit, system will power off then on
- During start up the system is not readily available and Central Controller cannot be operated
- When attempting to change the multi-contour seat preferences the Central Controller does not respond or the system cannot be accessed; and/or when the user has multiple entries in the Address and/or Telephone Books the system may incorrectly display only one entry.

AUDIO CONDITIONS:
- No sound during start up and Instrument Cluster displays “Audio off” until the user cycles the ignition
- Head unit does not display the last used Entertainment Mode (DVD Audio, FM, and AM) used prior to ignition off or system off for over 6 hours
- MP3 Audio CD/DVD tracks skip and/or interrupt especially at the beginning stages of the track
- Intermittent Audio CD/DVD not recognized by the player

NAVIGATION CONDITIONS:
- Blue route missing after the user scrolls over the map during active route guidance
- Intermittently the Head Unit does not display the map
- Inaccurate navigation visual or voice recommendations during active route guidance
- Incorrect navigation position that lasts for more than 5 minutes

Campaign 2006110005 NOV06, Note: not every vehicle in the VIN range affected, call your dealer to check VMI. Install software for Navigation System – Dealers will update the navigation disc in the affected vehicles as required. Approximately 12,559 vehicles are affected. VIN range:

221.171 A002624 – A100038
221.176 A022878 – A099920
221.179 A067424 – A099727
221.186 A083850 – A100125
Navigation DVD part # A 221 827 30 59 (v3.0)

P-B-82.85/512g SEPT08 COMAND and Telematics system having any of the conditions below the COMAND Head Unit and Telematics Ring software is to be updated with DAS and Telematics disc A221 827 63 59 ES2: 0002 (or newer).

- Intermittently, head unit does not display radio station name, artist and track (RDS) info
- During a multi-line telephone call in navigation screen, the COMAND display may turn dark
- Audio source volume not lowering during a navigation announcement in route guidance
- Intermittently, vehicle shows incorrect position even with more than three satellites visible
- Wrong navigation compass indicator
- Intermittently, back up camera image not shown on the COMAND display
- User’s cellular telephone phonebook entries are not completely down loaded
- COMAND display swivels left-right on its own and may not stop until driver turns ignition off
- Intermittent resets of the COMAND head unit
- During an active telephone call user tries to reject it by pressing REJECT both calls terminate
- Intermittently, head unit does not correctly toggle between name and # in telephone book
- No sound on startup with empty play field on head unit
- Incorrect GPS coordinates displayed in status line
- Inaccurate navigation voice or visual announcements during active route guidance
Old 10-25-2020, 11:53 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks again BOTUS:

I searched konigstiger's SB's and only found the two you mentioned. My 2007 Vin is A108010 so it's a little later than the early S 600's that had some software glitches. And, I haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned in the SB's... just "Loading Navigation" (LN) doesn't want to go away.

The advice you gave in post # 64 (wait for "loading" to go away) seems the most promising. During the last week, the Navi started immediately twice, when the car sat overnight. But another start and LN appeared again. And, it doesn't go away even after an hour with ignition on. I received a new Ebay V15 Navi DVD and it loaded after about an hour, and went straight to the street view after I ejected the DVD as instructed on the COMAND screen. Great, I thought, until I reinserted the start button... Back to LN screen. And, several attempts to just let it "load" have been unsuccessful.

So, I'm flummoxed as to why Navi has loaded a few times and stuck on LN most of the time. Just a WAG, but maybe the car is not "going to sleep" properly, or maybe using a battery charger is disrupting "something"???

For now, I'll cycle the car off and on and see if LN goes away for good. As you suggested in post # 64, and others have suggested, just forget about it and it will set itself up??? If not, I may start a new thread, as this 8 year old thread is probably a little "stale" and I've gotten a little off the original subject.

Regards... Mark
Old 10-26-2020, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
they eat 32 amp with the ignition on car not started... few chargers can cope.
it says to load mapping with engine running. Some go for a drive... BUT you aren't supposed to, as it increases the prevalence of read errors and potential fun.
it appears they can get part way and continue if its interrupted but it must be less likely to give issues with a one time perfect run

what temps and humidity are you at... an old unit with a sad fan and lots of ambient heat isn't going to have as easier life, as good day at 40% humidity on a 18 c unit

I don't get why it does the message.... I suspect its a dual layer disc and it rips it off temporarily.... and them at its leisure goes about putting it where and how it likes taking quite some time to achieve. I guess if the amount of info now is vastly different to what it had it takes longer. Remember you are talking 2004 technology in there...
Old 10-27-2020, 11:37 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks for the thoughts BOTUS:

I got myself into a bit of a pickle last night with COMAND. More on that below...

But, first here's a few comments on your observations:

-I'm using a 12A automatic battery charger with engine not running. Charger has an LED readout of Amps and Voltage. Key is at first click, accessories only. (Keyless start button removed because it will turn off after 15 minutes or so.)

-I've tried "full" ignition on but doesn't seem to make any difference, except lots of clicking and whining that don't seem to have anything to do with COMAND.

-Also, whether "full on" or just accessory, Voltage on the charger LED is around 13.0V at about 8A. "Full on" uses a little more, but charger is able to keep up for 2 hours or more. Accessory can be on indefinitely, at least from what I've observed.

-When I got the lastest, V15, Ebay Navi DVD, I checked it closely for scratches, etc. Even removed a tiny speck of lint with a lens cloth. (My habit has been to toss these things, CD's, around like pocket change, but I was extremely careful this time.)

-DVD loaded on "accessory" 1st time without incident and, when I removing the DVD, COMAND went to the three pointed star screen and on to the correct street view.

-Although I'm in the Tropics, car is in the garage at 26C and guessing 50% humidity. Since DVD loaded 1st time, presumably correctly, I'm assuming the environment is not an issue.

-Finally, to your point, yes, I remember how long it used to take a "new" version of Windows to load. 2004 technology is better than the "good ol' days" but slower than we've become accustom to... IIRC, hard drive is 20G. Also, MP3's from a 16G SD card routed thru the PCMCIA are seen instantaneously, so I'm having difficultly imagining the amount of Navi data is slowing things...
However, for the hell of it, I inserted the V13 DVD in my PC just to see how much data it had.... 4G on that disc, which I guess, in the world of a 20G hard drive, is a lot of real estate... V15 is probably even larger.

Also, IIRC, a member here posted that he asked an MB tech why the Navi wouldn't load??? The tech said something like: stepping up too many Navi versions at a time would do that. The member discounted that explanation, as did I... But, maybe that's it...

Just a WAG, but Navi at 4-5G is probably the largest file on the hard drive. In the old days, I'd clean and defrag the hard drive before loading the DVD. I haven't seen a way to do that with DAS.
For now, I've left "Loading navigation" (LN) on several times and it never has cleared. However, several times-- seems like the longer the better-- I've left car off and Navi starts right up. But, a restart a few minutes later goes back to LN.

As said, "Flummoxed."... Wondering what the "go to sleep" time is for the W221??? But why would that matter??? "Off" then "On" in few minutes triggers LN. One would think there's a coding error in the DVD but, why does it work at all? Hoping it just goes away, but it's not looking very likely...

Now, for my almost, I thought, disaster last night...

In my hunt to more info, I started DAS to see what COMAND settings I might could change or manipulate. IIRC, I think I saw it showing Navi V11-- however, when I loaded V15, the COMAND screen asked if I wanted to update from V13 to V15, so I knew V11 wasn't right????

Anyway, I found myself in a DAS menu that said it would activate/deactivate Navi. I thought that might help as a sort of "reboot". I clicked on "activate" and bars on the Dell screen went to the end and stopped. I waited but got impatient and hit "ESC". Nothing. I checked XP task manager and it showed XENRTY and DAS running. After quite a while, I shut everything down. But, a "DIAGNOSIS" screen stayed on the COMAND screen inside the car. Switching ignition on and off had no effect. "Holy Crap", I thought... I "bricked" something???

Car started but nothing except "DIAGNOSIS" was on the screen, ignition on or off!!! I tried DAS and it wouldn't let me back in. I was able to run a "Quick Test" but COMAND was inaccessible. It did give me a tip to remove N10/2ft122 fuse for about 30 seconds. That's fuse # 122 in the trunk. It was getting late so I abandoned the endeavor and left the car on the charger that was drawing about 7 amps. 12 hours later, I was relieved to see "DIAGNOSIS" was gone and things appeared to return to "normal". Normal being "Loading navigation" still comes and goes...

Two things I haven't tried are: 1) reloading the Navi DVD and 2) using the COMAND reset. I tried those after I loaded the V13 DVD and it didn't change anything. So, I'm thinking that will just delay the current version of Navi from "settling in", if it ever will???

Any further thoughts, anyone?

Thanks again... Mark
Old 10-28-2020, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
if doing a comand telematic update you need the key fully on.... chuck the keyless rubbish in a skip and swap to a real key!

key fully on or the comand will go to sleep, and for real updates you don't know what other systems aren't linked up otherwise... but ALWAYS turn off the headlights / the front and rear AC and note the interior lights will drop out after a while

I've done my maps 3 times, never with it running - but that's with a good battery that was charged for 48 hours before I started.... and then with my charger linked to the rear battery pushing 3.47 amps and it JUST copes.... but it was getting dodgy at 12.1v

anything under 12v on the rear battery expect it to go wrong..... even a brand new 25kg AGM battery can't keep the radio alive past 30 mins
Old 10-29-2020, 11:22 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks again BOTUS:

Makes sense ignition may need to be on. I made the assumption that, because everything on the COMAND screen works, accessory only would be okay.

So, I gave it a go... Three times actually...

First time, "Loading Navigation" (LN) was on the screen and it flickered during the loading and "download complete" didn't stay long enough on the screen to let me press "OK". However, manual eject and key on and off allowed it to go to the street view. Until, I turned it off and walked away. LN returned.

Second time, I reset COMAND-- which allows LN to go away-- and DVD installed with it ejecting on its own after I pressed "OK". Street screen appeared, until I turned off the car. LN returned. Come back an hour later and still LN. LN still on next day...

Third time, I repeated DVD install but left the ignition "on" for 2 hours after Navi was fully load and street screen had appeared. (The thought being, give the hard drive plenty of time to "find a place" for the 4-5G of Navi data it was just force-fed.) Then, I let it sit "off" for an hour. LN back...

BTW, voltage was okay-- 12.6V-- even after 3 hours "on" with charger connected.

So, it looks like my Navi is FUBAR for a while. I can call it up with a COMAND reset and don't really need it... Just don't like it not working... Maybe it will start working if I quit tinkering with it...

Regards... Mark
Old 10-30-2020, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
no idea on USA maps.... but as I said in my first response (for European maps)….

put the disc in it should say: "you have xxx map, the disc is yyy do you wan to apply yyy? " when you say "yes" every time it clicks and whirrs for 2 mins then spits the disc out and says "failed".

I was thinking about why... I used to think it was applying a firmware update during the two mins, but I don't think they have that many to apply and mine does it every time... I now suspect this two min then fail is really somehow preparing the unit to read and take data off a two layer DVD

Are you getting this???..... because if you do I don't think you should reset the comand and or turn the key off in between, just push the disc in again, mine works everytime like that

I went on European map from v3 (original) to v14 2016,
then had birds'eye update
then to v16 2018
and last to v17 2019
Old 10-30-2020, 11:29 PM

2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Thanks BOTUS:

No, I'm not having any issues with loading. It loads in about 30 minutes and, after ejecting, it restarts COMAND (goes to MB symbol) and then to street view.

Problem occurs after its off long enough to restart COMAND screen. It's like it can't find the Navi data. I'm narrowing down the interval between on and off that it takes to keep it from showing "Loading Navigation". It has to be "on" for "a while"-- haven't yet figured out how long-- and then "off" for "a long time", like overnight! (That's my MB engineering precision description of the time interval.)

I'm hoping, probably in vain, that after enough on/off cycles, it will work as designed. Like you, I find the behavior mysterious... I can't come up with any reason for it. Closest thing I've encountered like it, is the Drive-cycle required to reset the OBDII monitors. The Navi data is there, the car just has to find it. It mostly doesn't but sometimes it does... As your Churchill said, "A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma..." Or, as the buyer of my BMW V-12 said, after he bought it, when it did weird stuff, "Gives the car character..." There's no doubt, the MB V-12 has plenty of "Character"...

Regards... Mark
Old 11-01-2020, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I think you could well have given it a headache trying too much

the DVD drive should only be used to load a new map, expecting merc reliability to cope with using it to play music as well is too big an ask. Then of course the harddrive might be on its last legs.... some can swap the essential data over to a new hard drive. That's a very good idea on the later NTG3.5 unit as its super fragile. Few talk about it though as most would rather buy dead units for $25 fit an new disc for $20 and sell it to you for $600 (after 40 minutes of work)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updating Telematic of 2007 s550?