S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

iPod Interface Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550 (W221)
Originally Posted by rudyb
So i just purchased a ipod interface off of ebay. I installed it and headed over to my local dealer. I needed the Aux port opened. The dealer spent a little less than an hour to program and charged me 145.00. I got back in the car to find that when I hooked up the ipod the dash board said please wait then It said error. So thinking the the ipod was a newer one. I went home to try an older ipod. I got the same result.(dam) I headed back to the dealer and they tried to fix it. They ended up reprogramming the comand unit with the latest update. ( thinking that the the update would fix the problem) it did not....but i did get the comand update for free ...which gave me the Birdseye nav.(nice plus) but unfortunately I still don't have a working ipod interface.. Any help would be greatly apercated ...
I also purchased the cable from the interface to the ipod from the dealer and that also didn't work...this project is getting costly...
I wish I could help you, but I haven't gotten that far, yet... I'm still waiting for the T-harness so I can connect the iPod control unit to the COMAND. I'll definitely post my results once I have all the parts and hook it up.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 PM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
Thanks anyway... I was thinking my interface box may be bad...but not really wanting to throw away another couple hundred bucks...I'm stumped, the weird thing is it just says error...like it tring to load the music but there is a signal problem...mb dealer couldn't figure it out...
Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
By the way, what is the part number for your interface box? Is it B67824245 or B6782424528?

You may be able to pick up another used interface box for <$100 off of eBay. If that works, any chance on getting a (partial?) refund for the first one, once you've proven it to be defective?

When I got mine I noticed there was a bent pin. I don't know how common that is, but I'm glad I found it before I tried to plug in the harness!

Last edited by token; 09-23-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:45 PM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
My interface part number is B67824245. Do you know if that's the right one. I Thought I read on here that those part numbers work with the S class. I spoke to the ebay seller and he offered me a refund. The problem is I purchased the complete kit. The wiring harness is very rear so I really don't want a refund. Looks like I'm just going to have to buy another interface. I was hoping for a quick fix with out spending to much cash
Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
I *think* it's the right number. It's the same as the one I bought. But I don't know if the 28 on the end makes a difference or not.

Yeah, the harness by itself is $120 and has been the hardest part for me to find.

Hopefully a new interface will do the trick. Please keep me posted and I'll do likewise when I hook it up.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
S500
I recently fitted this kit using black box B67824245.... it takes less than 10 mins to turn on the Aux audio menu using STAR you can do it before or after fitting the hardware..

I actually had it programmed first then put the kit in the car... On your car I wonder if they put the fibre optic MOST cable in the right place... they do not go in to the new black box they unclip from stock loom and go back in the rear of command unit, all the rest of car loom does go via the new black box.

By the way fitting is OK except for getting all the bits back behind so comand unit fits. This is a nuisance (would have been simple if they made all the connections at one end instead of both!).

I did read on one post trying to upgrade the command software for bird's eye / traffic (2007 update) that when it all went wrong the dealer blamed the "out of date" ipod kit fitted and said there's a later unit. No idea which part number is old or new...

That said I also got the bird's eye view (sat nav) comand update done by a main dealer after I had fitted this kit. All went smoothly with no errors, other than he bit I mentioned in another post about the update was really for later cars running a different AC compressor and the dealer needs to check which compressor you have and tweak front SAM to suit ac unit on your car.... or you end up with ac turned off and no way to turn on... All fans, vents, heater options work its just ac is off so no cooling... Another 10 mins for them to connect it up and sort it (at their expense)
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
I did read on one post trying to upgrade the command software for bird's eye / traffic (2007 update) that when it all went wrong the dealer blamed the "out of date" ipod kit fitted and said there's a later unit. No idea which part number is old or new...
BOTUS, regarding the part numbers, the dealer told me that the "new" part number is the longer one with the 28 at the end. I'm glad to hear the older one works, though, since that's what I bought. I'm already updated, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
Originally Posted by token
BOTUS, regarding the part numbers, the dealer told me that the "new" part number is the longer one with the 28 at the end. I'm glad to hear the older one works, though, since that's what I bought. I'm already updated, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

if you go back a few posts in in this thread I talk about a later cable (the one with a network connection one end and iPod on the other) that can do 5v or 12v charging. I couldn't get how this could work... I wonder if the later box went with the later cable to offer both charging voltage options and the earlier box only does 5v ?

As they never made an iPhone with decent storage (and still don't with the 128gig iPhone 6 !!!) its not an issue for me
Old 09-23-2014, 06:31 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Oh yeah, good point, that would make sense. All I ever plan on hooking up to mine is the Tune2Air. I'm assuming 5V is sufficient to run it.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
Originally Posted by BOTUS
I recently fitted this kit using black box B67824245.... it takes less than 10 mins to turn on the Aux audio menu using STAR you can do it before or after fitting the hardware..

I actually had it programmed first then put the kit in the car... On your car I wonder if they put the fibre optic MOST cable in the right place... they do not go in to the new black box they unclip from stock loom and go back in the rear of command unit, all the rest of car loom does go via the new black box.

By the way fitting is OK except for getting all the bits back behind so comand unit fits. This is a nuisance (would have been simple if they made all the connections at one end instead of both!).

That said I also got the bird's eye view (sat nav) comand update done by a main dealer after I had fitted this kit. All went smoothly with no errors, other than he bit I mentioned in another post about the update was really for later cars running a different AC compressor and the dealer needs to check which compressor you have and tweak front SAM to suit ac unit on your car.... or you end up with ac turned off and no way to turn on... All fans, vents, heater options work its just ac is off so no cooling... Another 10 mins for them to connect it up and sort it (at their expense)
I did the install myself and after the first error before the comand update the mechanic at the dealer and I took the comand unit out and went back over the wiring... After that we went for the new update. The info you gave me has now raises a few more questions. If I buy a new interface which part number do I get? Is my interface bad? I have searched for any posts with interface error and I'm not finding anyone with this problem... I guess the only answer is keep spending money till I get lucky or give up....
Old 09-24-2014, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
did they do the update right...

I know nothing about the software.... as much as I do know on a BMW you don't just do one bit. you then need to tell 3 modules to actually notice you added a new toy before anything really updates correctly.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:36 PM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
did they do the update right...

I know nothing about the software.... as much as I do know on a BMW you don't just do one bit. you then need to tell 3 modules to actually notice you added a new toy before anything really updates correctly.
I also don't know much about how the update works, But I never really thought about that. So what your saying is maybe I should of just programmed the unit for the AUX before hooking up the interface.i wounder if I were to disconnect the interface and do a reset of the comand unit from the system settings and then reconnect the interface if that will fix it.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
we need someone with STAR experience to say what the procedure to this sort of update correctly is...

as I say on BMW you need to do things in certain order and tell modules to wake up and notice things changed.

when they did Bluetooth on my BM a bloke with auto logic support holding his hand took 3 hours to do 10 mins work and still didn't get it right... they gave up and said it can't be done... I said did u do what I wrote on the bit of paper I gave you... 5 mins fiddling about resetting the modules I'd given the info on and it worked as its supposed to !!!

it could be as simple as telling the front SAM the menu was added.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 PM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
we need someone with STAR experience to say what the procedure to this sort of update correctly is...

as I say on BMW you need to do things in certain order and tell modules to wake up and notice things changed.

when they did Bluetooth on my BM a bloke with auto logic support holding his hand took 3 hours to do 10 mins work and still didn't get it right... they gave up and said it can't be done... I said did u do what I wrote on the bit of paper I gave you... 5 mins fiddling about resetting the modules I'd given the info on and it worked as its supposed to !!!
it could be as simple as telling the front SAM the menu was added.
Ya I can kinda understand that cause before they did the system update the mechanic and service guy took me into the shop ( which they never do..) where we went over the wiring and he showed me that the AUX port was open in stars... So I bit the bullet and ordered another interface off ebay ...supposedly new still in original mb packaging never opened... We will see in a few days if I wasted another 150 bucks...
Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
I can safely say the software "Aux boost" feature to get the volume up, that they offer on some other merc's IPod kits is definitely NEEDED for this device.

Was / is it available???

I did ask them to check / carry this out on my car when they did the bird's eye view update on the sat nav 2 weeks ago... I can't see it (although not searched like mad for it) and they never mentioned they did / couldn't do it.

Compared to my BM the noise level this makes flat out is less than 1/4 vol the BM could put out.

Some albums I'm running on max vol and its just starting to get loud. I'm going to have to rip them again and use some form of vol normalisation at this rate.

Others are much louder.... that's certainly something I noticed when I first used iPod or usb stick on the BM.... on a cd the time taken to change discs stopped it being quite so obvious. A Eurythmics greatest hits is very quiet and a Fleetwood Mac one is more than twice as loud, if it jumps between this you get to jump as well.

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-24-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:27 AM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
Just a quick update went to a local mb shop and they put stars on and checked the error code..unfortunately the error is unknown. The new interface I order should be here tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
re reading the blurb...

allegedly the updated cable is all you need to do 5v or 12v charging http://www.commandonline.co.uk/ipod-...ging-lead.html (cream plug is the original as per pictures, black plug the updated one)

this is also interesting, http://www.commandonline.co.uk/ipod-amplifier.html it was designed for older cars to increase the volume... written here it suggests aux boost software mod was only for post 2009 cars

whats missing is the answer to
1) does it fit and work on pre 2009 w221 cars
2) does it work with the later cable to do 5v or 12v charging

Last edited by BOTUS; 09-26-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:17 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Hey guys, I just had a thought about the error problem that rudyb is having. Does the error show up on COMAND or on the instrument cluster?

From what I understand, the iPod integration is controlled through the instrument cluster, and is basically just using the AUX in on COMAND.

I also believe there is an update to the instrument cluster firmware. I found this while trying to figure out how to turn off that annoying, incessant, stupidly idiotic beep that it does while reminding me: "Don't forget your key." From what I've read, there is an update to the instrument cluster and it will just beep once, instead of what seems like forever.

I have no idea if the firmware update has any impact at all on the iPod integration, but thought I would mention it just in case. Considering that COMAND doesn't really do anything with the iPod integration, methinks that looking at the COMAND firmware is probably barking up the wrong tree as long as AUX is enabled.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:34 AM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
Just a quick update I received the new interface today.. Hooked it up and it works perfectly.. Also I'm now using a tune2air and I am liking it as well.. Thanks for the help guys..FYI this project cost me roughly 670 bucks to complete from the Aux port opening to the second interface box oh and the extra ipod cable so if your looking for ipod cable I got one for sale (brand new for mb) thanks again..
Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
good to see you got it working...

1) can you give the part number of the new box you got and was it off the shelf from Merc?

2) do you find you can get all tracks to play as loud as other sorces? like radio etc. Mine does 1/3 of radio vol on some tracks that on the BM the same track would play at 10 times what the merc radio could put out.

I have some bad news on the fix for this...

Battled with the back of the radio this week trying two Mercedes Benz inline iPod amplifiers. Both completely fail to work on either old or new iPod leads (black or white plug versions)

the Amp part numbers NOT compatible (and I think NONE are) are:

B 6 782 4530 (NTG 2.5 amp)
A204 870 3994 (only marked as iPod amp)

I think the car will have to go !!!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:56 AM

07 CLS 550 08 s550
good to see you got it working...

1) can you give the part number of the new box you got and was it off the shelf from Merc?

2) do you find you can get all tracks to play as loud as other sorces? like radio etc. Mine does 1/3 of radio vol on some tracks that on the BM the same track would play at 10 times what the merc radio could put out.

I have some bad news on the fix for this...

Battled with the back of the radio this week trying two Mercedes Benz inline iPod amplifiers. Both completely fail to work on either old or new iPod leads (black or white plug versions)

the Amp part numbers NOT compatible (and I think NONE are) are:

B 6 782 4530 (NTG 2.5 amp)
A204 870 3994 (only marked as iPod amp)

I think the car will have to go !!!
The second interface I got it off of ebay but it was new.. I guess the guy had it on his shelve.. The sound is lower but so far not really concerned.. I too won't have the car to much longer.. In the next year or so getting a w222 on the first lease returns.

New interface

Ipod display
Old 10-06-2014, 02:30 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Originally Posted by rudyb
Just a quick update I received the new interface today.. Hooked it up and it works perfectly.. Also I'm now using a tune2air and I am liking it as well.. Thanks for the help guys..FYI this project cost me roughly 670 bucks to complete from the Aux port opening to the second interface box oh and the extra ipod cable so if your looking for ipod cable I got one for sale (brand new for mb) thanks again..
Glad to hear you got it working!!! Congrats!

On the bright side, it was a few $ cheaper than the kit used to sell for. lol
Old 10-10-2014, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500
another hidden method to wind up the volume of a merc iPod interface...
(on my w221 it shows software and hardware version but on mine not the vol adjustment feature some kits have.... ) maybe on the later box....

Entering Diagnostic Mode:
Plug in your iPod, select AUX input and select the Audio iPod display on the cluster.

Now hold down the 'telephone hangup' and 'down arrow' buttons for about 8 seconds. The display will change to the diagnostic display and show the software version of the iPod controller

After a few seconds it will change to show the hardware version

If lucky... after a few seconds it will switch to showing the current volume setting.

If you now press the up arrow the volume setting will increase and the display will change to show the higher volume setting:

Pressing the down arrow will set it back to the low volume settings.

If you don't touch any buttons for a few seconds the system will then switch back to the normal audio display.

Last edited by BOTUS; 10-10-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:21 PM

2007 S550 (W221)
Wow, awesome tip! Thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod Interface Installation Questions