S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

I'VE HAD IT! 2007 S550 STUCK IN FIRST GEAR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I believe for a $900 a month you actually get nine Corollas.
I don't see how that is too out of the question actually.. A brand new fully loaded Corolla, probably sold him a warranty, plus a possible large interest rate, insurance, gas (he could drive alot?) plus if he is averaging out his maint. I don't see why $900 is out of the question.. That is probably about right for some people.. He could have gone in there with nearly nothing down..
Old 02-04-2015, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah, plus when you add in the cost of the weekly psychotherapy sessions the guy needs when he realizes he's spending a G a month to drive a f'ing Corolla, I can see where things could really add up.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
It's a shame this thread went off the rails.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:01 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
I double agree!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes S550 Base
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
First, take a deep breath. I'm not going to sugar-coat this.

Sell the damn car for what you owe on it and consider yourself lucky. Next time, *before* you buy a Mercedes, research the hell out of it before you buy. If you are not a DIY'er, have plenty of cash on hand. Speaking for myself, I think you're nuts if you think you can get $21K for that car with the issues you described. Those repairs would be thousands of dollars if the dealer were to repair the problems.

Not trying to be harsh, but ego leads one into expensive territory. My Mazda 3 is cheap to maintain and requires minimal labor (I perform all work myself) and has cost me ~$1000 in maintenance costs over six years. *Tools alone* in one year resulted in an investment of >$1500 just so I could work on my two Mercedes. (OTOH, I've saved that much in labor costs by not having to take my car to the dealer.)

My Mercedes average five to fifteen times more per year in parts costs compared to the Mazda 3. I'd like to attribute it to more power and more complexity but in actuality I attribute the difference to a lack of quality control and systems feedback in the Mercedes system. I like the cars but am seriously disappointed in the vaunted Teutonic engineering. The Japanese have them beat hands-down with 6-Sigma engineering.

Seriously, if you can't afford it, check your ego at the door and just purchase a nice reliable car that you enjoy. Honda S2000, Mazda RX-8, etc, etc.

I hope it works out for you whatever choice you make.

I'm not even going to address your ignorant response. My ego? You dont even know me. Thanks alot AHOLE. moving on
Old 02-05-2015, 06:49 AM

2007 Mercedes S550 Base
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Agreed! It makes the most fiscal sense with one of these technological wonders to purchase the lowest mileage car you can afford and factor the price of an exclusionary warranty into it. The lower the mileage, the cheaper the warranty is and longer coverage becomes available. Purchasing a high mileage car like the OP did will end up costing him more within a few years than purchasing a low mileage car with a warranty figured into the over all cost.
Well now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 AM

2007 Mercedes S550 Base
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
So here's an update.

I'm happy I took it to the guy, as for the $85 diagnostic fee, which I would have paid $237 at the dealer, he broke everythign down to me. He said yes he believes it's the throttle body, but he also says he hears some noise in the transmission, but wanted another $160 to drop the pan whatever that means to check. I declined to pay the $160. He says I may need a rebuilt tranny, which is not an option. He says the throttle body with labor is gonna run $1,600.

Now, I have no idea what a throttle body is, or does, but Im taking it that its something like a computer. The guy cleared the code, or did something to make it run like normal again. So, he said he reset something, so now it's shifting like normal. I've only driven it home from the shop, and it worked perfect. He said it will probably go bad eventually again, but do what it did before as in it goes bad, then i can cut off the car, and cut it back on, and it will work, then eventually going completely bad again.

So, at this point, i just have her sitting in the garage. Yesterday, I was able to repair the bad headlight myself. The same guy wanted $200 bucks for the part and install. I went to Auto Zone, got the HID light for $96, and installed it perfectly. So that warning light is out on the dash.

What im trying to do is get the car in great enough presence, so I can attempt to trade it in.

The only light s on or warning on the dash now, is the brake wear light. Reason being is because i had this guy install aftermarket brake pads, but he could not install the sensors because holes had to be drilled or something like that.

Id really like to get this light off the dash if anyone has any suggestions. Should i get aftermarket sensors and can someone easily install these, or do i need to get the sensors from the dealer and will those work with aftermarket pads some how?

Other than that, the windshild wiper fluid is not working but no warning lights for that, and the sunroof issue.

Thanks for all the GOOD responses, but some of you chicks act like kids. Stop watching so much reality TV, it's making you act like a BYTCH

Last edited by jobs2ceo; 02-05-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:05 AM

2007 Mercedes S550 Base
I know this is probably a dumb question, but can any of this be happening with the transmission because the transmission fluid is very low? If so, how do I check the transmission fluid level?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:23 AM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by jobs2ceo
So here's an update.

What im trying to do is get the car in great enough presence, so I can attempt to trade it in.

The only light s on or warning on the dash now, is the brake wear light. Reason being is because i had this guy install aftermarket brake pads, but he could not install the sensors because holes had to be drilled or something like that.

Id really like to get this light off the dash if anyone has any suggestions. Should i get aftermarket sensors and can someone easily install these, or do i need to get the sensors from the dealer and will those work with aftermarket pads some how?
Hey Jobs. I would remove the aftermarket brake pads and install the MB pads so you'll at least have the car back to the required brake setup with sensors installed correctly. Do you have any mechanical skills?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Well now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
...GI Joe....

I've been following this thread and, well...
Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 AM

2007 Mercedes S550 Base
Originally Posted by Prochambers
Hey Jobs. I would remove the aftermarket brake pads and install the MB pads so you'll at least have the car back to the required brake setup with sensors installed correctly. Do you have any mechanical skills?
Yea man, but just dont feel like doing that. I know those pads are gonna cost a bunch, ill call and ask for a price, or ill just have a mobile mechanic do it
Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
pretty sure any aftermarket pad should have the holes for the sensors? Ive never seen one w/o it
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
So basically it needs to get traded before the throttle body is totally done for. The only real deal-breaker for trading at this point is the fault code from the brakes. I'd get that cleared and then try to trade it. The other stuff may not even get picked up on at the trade. Anybody buying the car given the age and miles is expecting to have to do some reconditioning and repairs to bring it up to retail. Worst case you may have to concede a couple hundred bucks on the sunroof. Do you have something else to drive while the S sits or is that your DD?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM

2007 Mercedes S550 Base
So basically it needs to get traded before the throttle body is totally done for. The only real deal-breaker for trading at this point is the fault code from the brakes. I'd get that cleared and then try to trade it. The other stuff may not even get picked up on at the trade. Anybody buying the car given the age and miles is expecting to have to do some reconditioning and repairs to bring it up to retail. Worst case you may have to concede a couple hundred bucks on the sunroof. Do you have something else to drive while the S sits or is that your DD?
Yea, i have 2 other cars.

Just had a guy say hes gonna look at it for the break pads, and i dont know why the sensors were never installed, but i wanna get this done today.

The sunroof will open fine, but like many others, when you try to close it, you here this loud grinding noise. I recall i took it to the dealer and the dealer said they fixed the motor or installed a new motor for free. WHy? I have no idea i dont think i was in a warranty. So then it was working fine, and then the same problem again.

I have had a guy come out twice to remove the glass and re sit the glass because people open it by mistake.

As far as the comment regarding getting 21K , I was looking to trade the car for a Jaguar XJL, but the deal never went through. Jaguar dealer told me 21K on a trade because at that time no lights were on, and i didn't have the transmission problem.

I hear people say dont get a Jaguar XJL because the Mercedes is much better, but WTF look at all the problems I'm having. Ive had more problems, and this used to be a $100,000 car?

I test drove a 2012 BMW 750 LI and a 2011 Jaguar XJL the other day. The Jaguar does feel like a Toyota inside. The Beamer was real solid and smooth riding, even better than my S550.

The wife wont let me get a 2015 anything
Old 02-05-2015, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I love everything about the big Jag in theory, but on the test drive it felt like I was driving an ice cream truck. Just hated it. A car that big should ride like cream. Plus the money they want is crazy, It's Benz money for cryin' out loud. That, plus no Jag dealer in town and the extreme likelihood of warranty repairs made it a no go. Diito for the Audi A8 (I think ***** designed those crappy seats) and the big Bimmer. The 5 series Bimmers look great, probably the best looking sport sedan on the road, but again the ride and comfort aren't there.

Really any big used foreign luxury car is going to have issues. Find a nice 2010 S550 CPO. They're everywhere and mid 30's. Add another $4500 for the 36 month unlimited mileage warranty and you're protected no matter what crazy sht goes bad on it. Or go earlier years (pre facelift), find something lowwww miles (like under 40k) and pick up a 3rd party warranty from your bank or credit union (or the selling dealer).

You're gonna take a bath on the current car no matter what. I say rip the band-aid off and get it over with.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:05 PM

2007 Mercedes S550 Base
I love everything about the big Jag in theory, but on the test drive it felt like I was driving an ice cream truck. Just hated it. A car that big should ride like cream. Plus the money they want is crazy, It's Benz money for cryin' out loud. That, plus no Jag dealer in town and the extreme likelihood of warranty repairs made it a no go. Diito for the Audi A8 (I think ***** designed those crappy seats) and the big Bimmer. The 5 series Bimmers look great, probably the best looking sport sedan on the road, but again the ride and comfort aren't there.

Really any big used foreign luxury car is going to have issues. Find a nice 2010 S550 CPO. They're everywhere and mid 30's. Add another $4500 for the 36 month unlimited mileage warranty and you're protected no matter what crazy sht goes bad on it. Or go earlier years (pre facelift), find something lowwww miles (like under 40k) and pick up a 3rd party warranty from your bank or credit union (or the selling dealer).

You're gonna take a bath on the current car no matter what. I say rip the band-aid off and get it over with.
I have to disagree with you this is the car, and it rides way better than my s550 http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-car...52cc963720.htm
Old 02-05-2015, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I have to disagree with you this is the car, and it rides way better than my s550 http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-car...52cc963720.htm
Well put on a set of 22's and drop that Bimmer and you'll have an apples-to-apples comparison.

Last edited by Mike5215; 02-05-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I say bahahahah if you think getting into a 750 will yield you no problems, they just recalled the car for all sort of engine issues. warty or wallet gotta have one with these cars.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:15 PM

2007 Mercedes S550 Base
Originally Posted by 1bad540
I say bahahahah if you think getting into a 750 will yield you no problems, they just recalled the car for all sort of engine issues. warty or wallet gotta have one with these cars.
I never claimed that. I just said it rides better than my s550 thats all.

I know for sure the next one i get, i have to get an extended warranty. Can anyone recommend a company?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I never claimed that. I just said it rides better than my s550 thats all.

I know for sure the next one i get, i have to get an extended warranty. Can anyone recommend a company?
Mercedes Benz
Old 02-05-2015, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you have to shop around, Ive heard some local credit unions offer decent deals that maybe your best bet.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
for the pad warning light, you can do this but it's kinda ghetto. get a sensor (you can use the old one) and cut off the end that goes into the pad itself. Connect the two wires that are coming from the plug together and tape it up. Plug it into the plug on the brake caliper and your wear light wont come on anymore.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin' a poor little baby child is born in the ghetto....and his mama cries.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
We have all read about people buying used cars and later fall victim to previously undiscovered issues. It's even worse when the problem was deliberately hidden. Warrantied or not, it is a hassle. Some of us have had first-hand experience I'm sure. It is always frustrating. Yes, it is buyer beware, but one can only dig so deep prior to purchase. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't like it if it happened to me.

As I look back in this thread, I am seeing discussions to getting the car just good enough to trade, perhaps masking known and existing problems. Is this unethical? Is it just a matter of passing the problems onto the next sucker? NOTHING is free, so *someone* will be paying for the problems. Will we eventually see that next person back on this Forum talking about this new (to them) car with all these problems?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:18 AM

2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by snovvman
We have all read about people buying used cars and later fall victim to previously undiscovered issues. It's even worse when the problem was deliberately hidden. Warrantied or not, it is a hassle. Some of us have had first-hand experience I'm sure. It is always frustrating. Yes, it is buyer beware, but one can only dig so deep prior to purchase. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't like it if it happened to me.

As I look back in this thread, I am seeing discussions to getting the car just good enough to trade, perhaps masking known and existing problems. Is this unethical? Is it just a matter of passing the problems onto the next sucker? NOTHING is free, so *someone* will be paying for the problems. Will we eventually see that next person back on this Forum talking about this new (to them) car with all these problems?
I was just thinking the same thing. It is definitely a Karma situation. Do bad things and the bad things eventually comes back around to you!!! Personally i'm finished with this posting. The more I read it the more it's getting unethical. Take care!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: I'VE HAD IT! 2007 S550 STUCK IN FIRST GEAR