S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

I'VE HAD IT! 2007 S550 STUCK IN FIRST GEAR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by WillieMack
Bro, you need to dump that car and get something more reliable and affordable. No, not another high end luxury vehicle like a BMW 7 series or Jag XJL, but something like a Honda/Toyota. Not trying to be rude or judgmental, just being real. Being a "baller on a budget" will always come back to bite you. Been there done that. Turning heads but not being able to pay your bills isn't worth it. It also seems as if are not mechanically inclined and cannot service your own vehicles so that means you will always be at the mercy of an independent shop and/or Mercedes dealer.

Based on your posts on the first page, if you are sweating over paying for a $1,000 repair and worried about paying your car note, it sounds like you don't have any substantial savings and this is not the type of vehicle for you. Just because you bought a $100,000 car most likely under $30,000 doesn't mean that maintenance/repair costs equal that of a $30,000 car. Can't blame Mercedes because you bought a high mileage first model year S class out of warranty from a broker without probably knowing a lick about this cars service/driving history.

These cars were not built/designed for guys with "beer pockets" (no offense). They were built for the 250k+ a year earners who can afford to pay for these cars cash outright with extended Mercedes warranty, and those who lease and turn them back in before they need major servicing after 40,000 miles for the newest S class.

Sure, the Certified Preowned Vehicles are a bargain for the second owners who can afford one for around $50,000 with warranty and maintenance and let the first owners take the huge depreciation hit. Then you have those 3rd or 4th owners, like yourself and others who pick up an S class for under $30,000 with high mileage and think you've gotten a steal, but you don't realize that you're right at the threshold where suspension bushings and ball joints are worn on such a front heavy car, air shocks and other components may fail, and computers and modules are beginning to need replacement (the S class has tons).

Instead of trying to trade the car in and screw over some dealer and possibly the next innocent owner, put the car on Craigslist priced to sell and be upfront in your ad about the repairs needed.

If you've learned anything from this experience, you will stay away from ANY large premium luxury sedans with high mileage out of warranty (unless you have a substantial savings set off to the side). Doesn't matter if it's Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi etc., you will run into more of the same. Stick to a Honda/Toyota until you can afford a luxury vehicle that is either Certified Preowned, or is eligible for an exclusionary warranty from a reputable warranty company.
Despite your low post count, I can't disagree with anything here. Very well stated, and welcome to the forum! As these cars become available in greater numbers for $20k, the collective IQ of the forum begins to drop. It's inevitable. We can't afford to run off the smart guys who do still come around just because they didn't meet some imaginary requisite number of humble posts before they actually stated an opinion about something

I happen to agree with you entirely on the issue of CPO vs 3rd party BTW, but Dave and I have hashed that out on the forum so many times we're starting to sound like a bad lounge comedy act at a Radisson.

Last edited by Mike5215; 02-10-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Mayback
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Generally when you ask a group of strangers for help with a predicament you've found yourself in which is entirely of your own making, and then suggest to them that they're not very smart because they didn't think of the same half-assed work around to your self-created dilemma as you did, those people are probably going to make fun of you.

Try not to take yourself so seriously. Also try not to take pictures of yourself posing with your toys and looking sternly off into the distance, unless the toy is a Lear jet or a helicopter, because it looks silly. It's also what lead a lot of the guys on the forum to conclude that you bought the car as a status play without any real consideration for what you were getting yourself into.

That, coupled with your statement that you had to choose between paying your car note or having the car repaired, and your statements that the accumulating repairs were too much for you (ie the title of the thread) resulted in several people telling you that you probably bought the car for the wrong reasons and would be happier with something less ambitious and more reliable, or something with a warranty. It seems you were offended by any suggestion that you didn't have the financial where with-all to handle an older S Class, yet the subtext of every post you make reflects exactly that.

Pick one. Lament how much it costs and how often it's necessary to fix an old S Class and we'll happily commiserate with you because we've all been there. Or, cry out for mercy about how much it costs and how often it's necessary to fix an old S Class and we'll tell you to dump the car and get a Honda.

Nothing wrong with OP posing and "flossin like a boss" with his S class. It's a tradition, look at this guy!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, somehow when you're looking at the camera and smiling next to your Mercedes you just look like a proud and happy owner, but when you're looking away like the car just happened to be in the shot and...whadda ya know everyone... it's a Mercedes! you look like you're making a statement. Is that you in the pic?
Old 02-10-2015, 03:45 PM

Mayback
Despite your low post count, I can't disagree with anything here. Very well stated, and welcome to the forum! As these cars become available in greater numbers for $20k, the collective IQ of the forum begins to drop. It's inevitable. We can't afford to run off the smart guys who still come around because they didn't meet some imaginary requisite number of humble posts before they actually stated an opinion about something

I happen to agree with you entirely on the issue of CPO vs 3rd party BTW, but Dave and I have hashed that out on the forum so many times we're starting to sound like a bad lounge comedy act at a Raddison.
Thanks for the welcome. I agree. As these big body German sedans drop in price, they become accessible to a wider variety of folks. You see the same type of "What Did I Get Myself Into?!" threads over on the 7 series and A8 forums.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
I suggested a Honda or Toyota to the OP for reliability and way less maintenance costs since he's frustrated and shocked by the issues that he has experienced so far (which really aren't that bad). Repair bills of $500 & $1,000 are not shocking to those of us who own and can afford premium German luxury sedans, it is expected at some point. Me suggesting Toyota/Honda was not an insult to the OP seeing as how those brands are known for reliability, longevity and a good value.

Did I tell him to get a Corolla? No. And by the way, Toyota/Honda includes Lexus/Acura if you're insinuating I was telling him to stay away from anything luxury. Telling a guy who is clearly, in his own words, frustrated financially to dump a high mileage problem riddled S class where he's still paying for gas, repairs, a car note and insurance is not insulting the guy but good advice.

Telling the OP to read through the forums and learn about these cars before they buy and owning a lower mileage car with warranty is not bad advice. However, how does that help him currently? He already bought the car and cannot change the past.

Don't have time to dig up your old posts. Actually this was the first thread i've read on here and the posts you've made in this thread were the first I've read from you. Sometimes first impression is lasting impression.

It sounds like somebody needs a hug.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, I lived it for many years on the 220 forum. When the cars were aging but still in the $50k range the forum still looked a lot like the current 221 forum. Smart guys with fairly expensive cars sharing tips and ideas with one another. Once the prices bottomed out you started seeing more and more posts with titles like " WTF WRONG WITH MERCERES AIRMATIC NOT WORKING???!!! THIS SUPPOSE TO BE LUXURY CAR!"

Sad, and it's already starting here.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:56 PM

Mayback
Yeah, I lived it for many years on the 220 forum. When the cars were aging but still in the $50k range the forum still looked a lot like the current 221 forum. Smart guys with fairly expensive cars sharing tips and ideas with one another. Once the prices bottomed out you started seeing more and more posts with titles like " WTF WRONG WITH MERCERES AIRMATIC NOT WORKING???!!! THIS SUPPOSE TO BE LUXURY CAR!"

Sad, and it's already starting here.

But the OP must be a pretty smart guy. Per his username, he's a CEO.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by DaveW68
It sounds like somebody needs a hug.
Okay, but I feel like I really need to stress that a hug is performed with the parties facing one another. That thing you do, sneaking up from behind, is technically less a "hug" and more "unwanted physical contact".
Old 02-10-2015, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
But the OP must be a pretty smart guy. Per his username, he's a CEO.
Yeah, the OP isn't a dumb guy by any means, but he's closed Mondays, so I don't feel like he's an ambitious CEO.

Last edited by Mike5215; 02-10-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Okay, but I feel like I really need to stress that a hug is performed with the parties facing one another. That thing you do, sneaking up from behind, is technically less a "hug" and more "unwanted physical contact".

That's not what you told me before. All of a sudden it's unwanted physical contact? Make up your mind!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
That's not what you told me before. All of a sudden it's unwanted physical contact? Make up your mind!
Don't get me wrong...I appreciate the unsolicited and vigorous expression of affection. I'm just not buying that business about you having a roll of dimes in your pants pocket, and as I've stated repeatedly, the act of "hugging" typically does not involve rabbit-like hip thrusts on the part of the "hugger".

Welcome to the Mike & Dave Show everyone! We'll be here all week! Try the Veal!

Last edited by Mike5215; 02-10-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
As these cars become available in greater numbers for $20k, the collective IQ of the forum begins to drop.
Insightful and interesting. Never saw that pattern before....
Old 02-10-2015, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Stick around. It only becomes apparent over time because the quality of the forum at the moment you join becomes your baseline. It seems like once the car is out of production and the used examples are in the same price range as a solid used Accord things head south in a hurry.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2009 S550 AMG sport pckg. 2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrewcab
Some people on here need to go by the saying "if you have nothing good to say then dont say it at all". That being said, he bought a car with issues and needs help. so if youre not going to contribute meaningful posts that will help him solve the problem, keep your opinions to yourself and dont post.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Don't get me wrong...I appreciate the unsolicited and vigorous expression of affection. I'm just not buying that business about you having a roll of dimes in your pants pocket, and as I've stated repeatedly, the act of "hugging" typically does not involve rabbit-like hip thrusts on the part of the "hugger".

Welcome to the Mike & Dave Show everyone! We'll be here all week! Try the Veal!

For the record, that was a roll of silver dollars. Don't you be selling me short here Mikey. And don't pretend it all of a sudden bothers you. Hugs are hugs.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Mike is a riot, I need to get a 221 so I can come hang out here.

Carry on, as you were....

Last edited by Airmousam; 02-10-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Nickthegreek
Some people on here need to go by the saying "if you have nothing good to say then dont say it at all". That being said, he bought a car with issues and needs help. so if youre not going to contribute meaningful posts that will help him solve the problem, keep your opinions to yourself and dont post.
Look, I agree he needs help. I'm just not sure it's the kind of help that you find on an enthusiasts car forum. Maybe it's more like the kind of help you get from the state-appointed psychiatrist.

Tip your waitresses people! They're working hard out there!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
For the record, that was a roll of silver dollars. Don't you be selling me short here Mikey. And don't pretend it all of a sudden bothers you. Hugs are hugs.
Yeah, I know...it was a roll of silver dollars and the other business was from a packet of mayonnaise. I'm just saying next time you want to give me a "hug", knock on the front door instead of spending all night hiding in the bushes and waiting for me to come outside. When I say "next time" of course I mean "after the restraining order expires".

Thursday night is all-you-can eat prime rib folks!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550

Thursday night is all-you-can eat prime rib folks!
It actually sounds like "all you can eat Vienna sausages" between you two....
Old 02-10-2015, 06:21 PM

Mayback
Yeah, the OP isn't a dumb guy by any means, but he's closed Mondays, so I don't feel like he's an ambitious CEO.

He may be closed on Mondays but I gurantee he:

Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Atcpup
It actually sounds like "all you can eat Vienna sausages" between you two....
It's not gay if you're resisting. But hey, what's a forum without homophobia and racism?
Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550
It's not gay if you're resisting. But hey, what's a forum without homophobia and racism?
Who mentioned anything about being gay? Oh wait, you did....
Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
It sure is a beautiful car though. I understand why the OP is depressed.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Atcpup
Who mentioned anything about being gay? Oh wait, you did....
Wait...were you referencing Dave and I eating Vienna sausages in the literal sense, rather than using the phrase in the common vernacular for homosexual oral sex? Sorry man, I totally misread you.

I didn't realize you weren't aware that "sausage" is also a common slang term for "*****". So like when you and Mrs. ATCPUP are out socially, and someone offers you guys something to eat, you would want to avoid saying things like, "No thanks. I pretty much stuffed her with sausage a few hours ago!" or if someone offers her a sausage tell her not to say anything like "I don't think I could swallow another sausage!", even if its true. Folks who don't grasp your strict literal sense of language might get the wrong idea.

You're welcome.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by mnje350
It sure is a beautiful car though. I understand why the OP is depressed.
Love the color with the Pano, not crazy about the wheels. But yeah, even the pretty ones can burn you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: I'VE HAD IT! 2007 S550 STUCK IN FIRST GEAR