S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

A few possibly dumb questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by justinmorrison
I did, I should have been more specific. It seems odd that "off" becomes "auto" when DRL is on. Obviously it's by design, but still seems like a perplexing choice

Actually, the DRL's (if activated) are always on no matter what position the switch is in....since the DRL's are the headlights on the Benz. You can turn the DRL's off and no lights would be on in the off position. When DRL's are turned on and the switch is in the off position, only the headlights turn on...not the side markers or taillights.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S550
Taillights do turn on when DRLs are on and it's dark outside. I didn't check the side markers, but front and rear absolutely to go into "automatic" mode when DRLs are on. I suspect the side markers do as well.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by justinmorrison
I did, I should have been more specific. It seems odd that "off" becomes "auto" when DRL is on. Obviously it's by design, but still seems like a perplexing choice
I agree with your point. I wish DRL does not activate the headlights when dark, but I think it's DOT or other regulatory standards that govern how it behaves.

Originally Posted by DaveW68
Actually, the DRL's (if activated) are always on no matter what position the switch is in....since the DRL's are the headlights on the Benz. You can turn the DRL's off and no lights would be on in the off position. When DRL's are turned on and the switch is in the off position, only the headlights turn on...not the side markers or taillights.
I think the facelift models use the lower LED strip?