S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

A few possibly dumb questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 S550
A few possibly dumb questions

After a month with my new (to me) 221, there a couple small things I haven't been able to figure out:

1. Is there any legitimate use for the little storage area inside the font seat arm rests? I can't figure out what could possibly fit in there...
2. What is the difference between the "0" and "A" positions on the lights switch? When set at "0", DRLs are on, and everything else seems to be automatic. Am I missing something?
3. On the air vents on the hood, each has a little sphere on the area closest to the center of the hood. They seem to specific to simply be "design", but also don't seem to have any purpose
Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
"0" is off and "A" is automatic, i.e., lights come on and go off automatically.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
2015 S550, 1987 420 SEL
Originally Posted by justinmorrison
After a month with my new (to me) 221, there a couple small things I haven't been able to figure out:

1. Is there any legitimate use for the little storage area inside the font seat arm rests? I can't figure out what could possibly fit in there...
2. What is the difference between the "0" and "A" positions on the lights switch? When set at "0", DRLs are on, and everything else seems to be automatic. Am I missing something?
3. On the air vents on the hood, each has a little sphere on the area closest to the center of the hood. They seem to specific to simply be "design", but also don't seem to have any purpose
Did you receive the owner's manual with your car? If not, you can go the MBUSA website and download another version.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
the storage compartment, fits chapstick some business cards and a nice cigar lighter. That's whats in mine currently. headlights I have no idea but have thought it too.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550

1. Is there any legitimate use for the little storage area inside the font seat arm rests? I can't figure out what could possibly fit in there... Bluetooth puck, tin of Altoids, gum, pens, couple of CD's, pocket change.
2. What is the difference between the "0" and "A" positions on the lights switch? When set at "0", DRLs are on, and everything else seems to be automatic. Am I missing something? "O" is for Off, "A" is for automatic headlights
3. On the air vents on the hood, each has a little sphere on the area closest to the center of the hood. They seem to specific to simply be "design", but also don't seem to have any purpose I believe those are daylight sensors....could be wrong though.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by 1bad540
the storage compartment, fits chapstick some business cards and a nice cigar lighter. That's whats in mine currently. headlights I have no idea but have thought it too.
Chapstick and business cards. My answer exactly.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 S450
I leave my keys in there when I don't need it locked, like in the garage..

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2015, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by platt-deutsch
I leave my keys in there when I don't need it locked, like in the garage..

Note to self: When I would like a second W221, pay a late night visit to Platt's house.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 S550,E320 CDI, 911 Turbo 964
1. Reading glasses - good place for them because they dont' get scratched or dirty there.

0 and A both have my headlights come on automatically, but A controls your highbeams and won't allow them to come on with too much light from the the front. That's why I don't use A. Speaking of that putting the lights on fully to right and leaving them after shutting off and locking the car, the lights will still go off automatically.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by Windshield Time
0 and A both have my headlights come on automatically, but A controls your highbeams and won't allow them to come on with too much light from the the front. That's why I don't use A. Speaking of that putting the lights on fully to right and leaving them after shutting off and locking the car, the lights will still go off automatically.
Reading through the 2013 manual, it seems like that it is the DRL that causes the lights to automatically come on with the switch in the "0" position. I wonder if, by disabling DRL, the lights will still come on automatically while in "0".

I would test it myself, but my car is still at the dealer... :-/
Old 03-12-2015, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by Windshield Time

This must be different on the face-lifted 221's. The only thing "A" controls on my car is to turn the lights on automatically when ambient light goes below a certain threshold. I have full control of bright lights in either A or O position (if the lights are on) and it has no effect on the brightness level whatsoever. Putting it on "O" will turn on the headlights under any lighting since it's the "On" switch.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by snovvman
Reading through the 2013 manual, it seems like that it is the DRL that causes the lights to automatically come on with the switch in the "0" position. I wonder if, by disabling DRL, the lights will still come on automatically while in "0".

I would test it myself, but my car is still at the dealer... :-/

The headlights will always be on in any position if the DRL's are switched on.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none

The Storage area in the seats are useful for things like glasses, a first aid kit, water bottle, or even two cans of AC refrigerant.

The 0 is off for lights and the A is for automatic. Useful feature.

The two black spheres might be sensors for measuring outside temp. I doubt it is a daylight sensor because there is also a sensor on the front windshield.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:42 PM

2009 S550
Sounds like I'm not the only one not seeing any difference between "0" and "A" on the lights. I understand that they are supposed to be off/automatic, but if I leave the car in "0", the lights come on at night just the same as in "A". Highly mysterious...
Old 03-12-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Sounds like I'm not the only one not seeing any difference between "0" and "A" on the lights. I understand that they are supposed to be off/automatic, but if I leave the car in "0", the lights come on at night just the same as in "A". Highly mysterious...
Did you read posts 10 and 12?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:41 AM
bha

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I find storage worse than in my W220.

The door pockets are hard to get your hand into with the door shut. I use mine as a garbage can (napkins, flattened plastic water bottle, etc.). The door pockets in the W221 look better designed for a thin map or something.. it's not wide and you can't get your hand in at all while driving.

I use the flip-open door armrest compartments for change and small bills. There was a compartment between the shifter and center console in my W221 with a flip-open door that was used for change and stuff. This no longer exists in the W221.

Seems that the W220 had an armrest-mounted cupholder, and a change holder in front of it. In the W221 they have combined both functions.. if you want a cupholder you lose the changeholder as the cupholder is just an add-on insert into the changeholder.

Where are you guys keeping change and small bills? When I zip through a drive-through I usually don't have time to fold a bill in half and clip it into the sunvisor for example. I get handed a bill and some change and need a place to throw it quickly.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

def cant get your hand in while driving. I throw everything in the cupholder including my phone.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 AM
bha

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
That never works for me, because either my wife or I has a drink in the cupholder. If there is no drink, there is an empty cup from the drink we just finished (no place to put it until you reach a garbage can).

We have tried putting change and cell phones in there, then we go to a drive through and are handed 2 drinks and the mad scramble happens to empty the cupholders...

Just seems like they went backwards in developing the storage in the W221 (vs a W220). My S550 is a long wheelbase.. for such a huge car it's amazing that there is so little storage for "small" things like cups/cellphones/change. The center console is giant and mine is pretty much empty, yet I have nowhere to quickly stash change/etc.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

transport empty cups to the rear cupholder in the rear center storage just make sure its folded down. I however agree with you, coming from a 750 that had a lot of storage plus drawers that slid out.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 S550 4matic (AMG sport package), 2016 Corvette Stingray.

I store a lot in there like a couple bottles of water, snacks and my shades all at the same time.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by bha
That never works for me, because either my wife or I has a drink in the cupholder. If there is no drink, there is an empty cup from the drink we just finished (no place to put it until you reach a garbage can).

We have tried putting change and cell phones in there, then we go to a drive through and are handed 2 drinks and the mad scramble happens to empty the cupholders...

Just seems like they went backwards in developing the storage in the W221 (vs a W220). My S550 is a long wheelbase.. for such a huge car it's amazing that there is so little storage for "small" things like cups/cellphones/change. The center console is giant and mine is pretty much empty, yet I have nowhere to quickly stash change/etc.

The Germans don't give a crap about storage. This applies to Benz, BMW, Audi, and Porsche. Probably because Europeans aren't spending a lot of time going through drive-throughs to pick up a huge cup of coffee every morning. Cup holders and storage is an American thing and the only reason you have anything other than a glove box is because Americans demanded it. Feel lucky you have any storage or cup holders as you get more than they do in Germany. If you want to see crappy cup holders that are a complete after-thought, take a look at any BMW.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by wilassasin
I store a lot in there like a couple bottles of water, snacks and my shades all at the same time.
Yea, it's actually pretty huge (that's what she said) and a lot of room for a lot of stuff. I heard if you have the optional rear a/c it's half the size.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jason B
Yea, it's actually pretty huge (that's what she said) and a lot of room for a lot of stuff. I heard if you have the optional rear a/c it's half the size.
I think th op must have rear ac because I have a ton of sheet In there.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:53 PM

2009 S550
Originally Posted by snovvman
Did you read posts 10 and 12?
I did, I should have been more specific. It seems odd that "off" becomes "auto" when DRL is on. Obviously it's by design, but still seems like a perplexing choice
Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 AM

2009 S550
Originally Posted by 1bad540
I think th op must have rear ac because I have a ton of sheet In there.
I think we're referring to different compartments. I mean the ones under the door handle/arm rests (flip open) in the front seats. If you can fit a water bottle in there, you have my utmost respect!

Regarding storage and cupholders in Mercedes, my last S-Class was a 560SEL. No cupholders (except the little dents on the inside of the glove box door), and outside of pockets at the bottom of the doors, no other storage to speak of. Despite that, I absolutely loved that car. Took it apart and put it back together countless times during the 10 years we were together. The 221 is great, but nothing beats the feel of that 560 and its bus sized steering wheel

Last edited by justinmorrison; 03-14-2015 at 12:02 AM. Reason: punctuation!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A few possibly dumb questions