S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

I finally bought it Fellas!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
It seems like no matter how far off the rails this thing goes, people think the OP still has a chance to avoid failure. I have news for you: he failed a long time ago. Success, as defined by him, was to buy a salvage S with rear body damage for $12,000 and put just $1000 into body repairs, consisting of buying a bumper and tail lights. The large dents were to be manhandled out with a rubber mallet. There was no consideration to the likelihood of mechanical issues, despite buying the car having never heard it run.

Where is he now? The $1000 budget is long gone. The body is no closer to being repaired.

Meanwhile the mechanical issues which were not even a consideration when he bought the car , now has Benz55 playing an expensive game of Whack A Mole with the electrical system.

So yeah, the verdict is on the wisdom of this particular guy buying that particular car.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Acura TL 2008 - Acura MDX 2012
The car has no codes and drives well. I'm 13k into it. I put on the bumper to drive it for now. I can get it registered as it is with no inspection. But for a little more money, I'd rather get it properly repaired. I saved $500 by not listening to you. No towing both ways on a flatbed due to it being a 4matic. No paying for expensive diagnostic for them to tell me it's my alternator. Instead I used that money to buy a brand new Bosch alt and fixed it myself. Your advice would hinder me, so I didn't take it.

mike, you failed a long time ago by paying 54k for a car that's basically mine. Most likely it's worth less than half of what you paid for it 24 months ago

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-27-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 AM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
Nicely done!
Originally Posted by mercedesbenzs55
The car has no codes and drives well. I'm 13k into it. I put on the bumper to drive it for now. I can get it registered as it is with no inspection. But for a little more money, I'd rather get it properly repaired. I saved $500 by not listening to you. No towing both ways on a flatbed due to it being a 4matic. No paying for expensive diagnostic for them to tell me it's my alternator. Instead I used that money to buy a brand new Bosch alt and fixed it myself. Your advice would hinder me, so I didn't take it.

mike, you failed a long time ago by paying 54k for a car that's basically mine. Most likely it's worth less than half of what you paid for it 24 months ago
Old 03-27-2016, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
The car has no codes and drives well
I had these fault codes pop up on my OBD-II scanner.

Does anyone know which ones may be a problem that was caused by the alternator?

P0024 - "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)
P0014 - B Camshaft Timing is Over Advanced (Bank 1)
P0022 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
P0300 - Random Misfire
P0306 - Misfire Detected in #6 Cylinder
P0305 - Misfire Detected in #5 Cylinder
P0562 (Fixed) - Charging System Voltage Low

I'm going to buy a torque wrench so I can inspect the plug/Coil conditions.
Um, okay. Faults count as no faults, and spending well over a thousand dollars is the same as spending only a thousand dollars.

Buying a $58k car for $58k isn't a failure. Crapping up your credit so badly that you could never in a million years buy a $58k car, to the point that you need to scrounge a stripped down S out of a scrap yard...that's failure for ya.

Last edited by Mike5215; 03-27-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I saved $15,000 in 10 weeks. Failure? Thats right after Driving 26,000 kilometers through Europe. Not to mention boating and flying to Africa twice. I saved $22,000 for that. This is all within 6 months. I went to Vegas twice in four weeks 8 months ago. All these things were paid in cash through my Wife and I diligently saving.

All this money we saved with average paying jobs. Failure? Life has failed you Mike, and your angry at it and the people around you.

People don't need credit when things can be bought with cash.

This I saved for and also paid cash.

"Never in a million years" Mike? I'm half your age.

I may not yet have the wisdom you do, but wouldn't you agree I'm making enough mistakes to get there?

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-27-2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I saved $15,000 in 10 weeks. Failure? Thats right after Driving 26,000 kilometers through Europe. Not to mention boating and flying to Africa twice. I saved $22,000 for that. This is all within 6 months. I went to Vegas twice in four weeks 8 months ago. All these things were paid in cash through my Wife and I diligently saving.

All this money we saved with average paying jobs. Failure? Life has failed you Mike, and your angry at it and the people around you.

People don't need credit when things can be bought with cash.

This I saved for and also paid cash.

"Never in a million years" Mike? I'm half your age.

I may not yet have the wisdom you do, but wouldn't you agree I'm making enough mistakes to get there?
I'm sorry but that makes no sense. Saving $15,000 in ten weeks requires a net positive cash flow of $1500 a week. But back when I asked you why you didn't simply buy a used 221 for $25-$30k your response was that the $12k you spent on the wrecked car represented the last of your cash.

Someone with a net positive cash flow after living expenses of $78,000 a year ($1500 x 52 weeks) should not have their cash reserves wiped out making a $12k purchase, nor would they likely spend their last $12k on an unnecessary purchase in the first place.

However you do seem to have unlimited free time and some access to cash, at least in short bursts. So what exactly do you do to earn a living? I ask because given what we've seen of your judgment, problem solving skills, and ability to take direction you don't seem especially employable in the conventional sense. Trust fund maybe?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
wow I step away for a day and come to this!!! so where are we?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 366 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by 1bad540
wow I step away for a day and come to this!!! so where are we?
I'm home and about to start getting ready for Easter Mass. This is a good time to step away from this mess and spend time celebrating with family....while also praying for Benzs55. Happy Easter to all of the believers here.
The following users liked this post:
The Thomas J (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NA
This have turned into personal attacks from both parties......Benz55 you are not wrong for purchasing a wrecked S550 "cash", neither is Dave/Mike wrong for giving whatever advices that you have failed to take........... My whole point here is the money been spent by Benz55 is HIS MONEY, however he earned it...IT IS HIS MONEY. so we can either stop giving him advices and just watch or continue to give him advices and get angry when he doesnt take the advices.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
s550
Damn...this thing has turned to a HBO special. All parties need to just take a few steps back before this things escalates beyond control. The OP has started making progress.
He is clearly a risk taker and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He claims he has saved $500 to date (not including what his time is worth I guess) by not taking Mike and Dave's advice. Sometimes we run into situations where we have to take chances. Sometimes those chances cost us a lot, other times we are lucky.

He is making progress now. I think Mike and Dave wish the OP the best and hope his outcome is not as costly as they expect. However, It is also easy for them to get somewhat frustrated and their advices and contributions be misconstrued as condescending given OP has almost always gone the opposite direction of whatever they suggest. I still choose to believe they mean well for him.

Regardless, Advice is free on here.And it shouldn't bother anyone which route OP takes. It is his money and time. We are all here to learn and help one another. Not every lesson has to come from a positive learning experience...am sure this thread with all it entails will be what saves a few people from making a similar "mistake" as OP OR on the contrary, might motivate them to do the same. We cannot control what people do. We can only advice.

OP is making progress...Thats great.
The following users liked this post:
mercedesbenzs55 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
What the OP is seeming to miss, is that yes, his problem was likely the alternator, and he saved the money on scanning the car to tell him THAT. However, he now likely has a bunch of stored codes which will likely come back (probably cam magnets) and no way of knowing the number of other problems that exist with the electronics.

The Star scan would tell him about 5000 times more than just what his charging problem was.

Also, for someone who claims to be a perfectionist, he certainly screwed up pretty good not correctly connecting a coolant hose.

I think the OP is hell bent on proving everyone in this thread wrong, even at the cost of making some poor decisions. Ego perhaps?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW 540i/6, 06 MB R500
Originally Posted by just1time
Damn...this thing has turned to a HBO special. All parties need to just take a few steps back before this things escalates beyond control. The OP has started making progress.
He is clearly a risk taker and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He claims he has saved $500 to date (not including what his time is worth I guess) by not taking Mike and Dave's advice. Sometimes we run into situations where we have to take chances. Sometimes those chances cost us a lot, other times we are lucky.

He is making progress now. I think Mike and Dave wish the OP the best and hope his outcome is not as costly as they expect. However, It is also easy for them to get somewhat frustrated and their advices and contributions be misconstrued as condescending given OP has almost always gone the opposite direction of whatever they suggest. I still choose to believe they mean well for him.

Regardless, Advice is free on here.And it shouldn't bother anyone which route OP takes. It is his money and time. We are all here to learn and help one another. Not every lesson has to come from a positive learning experience...am sure this thread with all it entails will be what saves a few people from making a similar "mistake" as OP OR on the contrary, might motivate them to do the same. We cannot control what people do. We can only advice.

OP is making progress...Thats great.
just in time. No pun intended. Failure is when you don't try to overcome an obstacle. Life is about experience, good or bad.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
What the OP is seeming to miss, is that yes, his problem was likely the alternator, and he saved the money on scanning the car to tell him THAT. However, he now likely has a bunch of stored codes which will likely come back (probably cam magnets) and no way of knowing the number of other problems that exist with the electronics.

The Star scan would tell him about 5000 times more than just what his charging problem was.

Also, for someone who claims to be a perfectionist, he certainly screwed up pretty good not correctly connecting a coolant hose.

I think the OP is hell bent on proving everyone in this thread wrong, even at the cost of making some poor decisions. Ego perhaps?

Ill get the car scanned this week. Even though the engine runs smooth, up shifts -downshifts smooth.

Yes, quad, ego indeed. All of us on here have a bit of an ego no? Otherwise we would own something other than a high end luxury car.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by goosesedan
This have turned into personal attacks from both parties......Benz55 you are not wrong for purchasing a wrecked S550 "cash", neither is Dave/Mike wrong for giving whatever advices that you have failed to take........... My whole point here is the money been spent by Benz55 is HIS MONEY, however he earned it...IT IS HIS MONEY. so we can either stop giving him advices and just watch or continue to give him advices and get angry when he doesnt take the advices.
Well, technically it's not just his money. This is the plea on his GoFundMe page, where he's soliciting money from the forum members:

"I bought a wrecked Luxury car and cant fix it. I originally budgeted $1000 for the repair, but see now that it will quickly surpass that price.
I'm looking for members on my favorite forum MBworld.org to help me get enough to fix the rear of my car.
With your help I can restore it to its natural Beauty without cutting corners and risking my family."

So which is it? Is he a high roller and cash buyer with tons of money on hand, or did he buy a wrecked S and underestimate the damages so badly he can't afford to fix the car without cutting corners or risking his family without taking donations? Because it can't be both.

In a previous thread, he claimed his wife had $40k in negative equity on a 2011 Explorer. Cash buyers cannot owe more on a car than it's worth, obviously, because they have no loan. It can't be both.

In this thread, he claimed both that he earned between $60k and $70k a year, and that he was able to put away savings at the rate of $1500 a week. At $70k a year his pre tax earnings are only $1300 a week.

Benz55 is an entertaining character but he's also a pretty good BS artist.

Last edited by Mike5215; 03-27-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Well, technically it's not just his money. This is the plea on his GoFundMe page, where he's soliciting money from the forum members:

"I bought a wrecked Luxury car and cant fix it. I originally budgeted $1000 for the repair, but see now that it will quickly surpass that price.
I'm looking for members on my favorite forum MBworld.org to help me get enough to fix the rear of my car.
With your help I can restore it to its natural Beauty without cutting corners and risking my family."

So which is the lie? Is he a high roller and cash buyer with tons of money on hand, or did he buy a wrecked S and underestimate the damages so badly he can't afford to fix the car without cutting corners or risking his family without taking donations? Because it can't be both.

In a previous thread, he claimed his wife had $40k in negative equity on a 2011 Explorer. Cash buyers cannot owe more on a car than it's worth, obviously, because they have no loan. It can't be both.

In this thread, he claimed both that he earned between $60k and $70k a year, and that he was able to put away savings at the rate of $78k a year.

Benz55 is an entertaining character but most of what he posts is BS. The thread has gone on so long he's having a hard time avoiding inconsistencies in his stories.

BTW, paging through the thread I found a pic of the rear damage from an angle I hadn't seen before:

The car needs a new left quarter.
Did I say I put away 78k a year? No that was you. Don't be so angry that I can get that dent out with PDR.

Are you running low on your opioid scripts? A man of your age and with a "botched" back surgery is heavily addicted.

Your bitterness towards me has far exceeded the bounds of frustration over me not taking your advice. Are you flustered that I'm not succumbing to your control freak tendencies? Doing it Just your way? How one track minded. Theres more than one way to skin a cat.

I'm learning that we come from two separate mindsets Mike. Mine is Russian, yours is English.

I made the gofundme account because it was suggested to me in this thread by a member. You also challanged everyone to put their money where their mouths were, but you didn't yourself donate. CompAddict donated and I bought an alternator. I didn't make this thread to get donations mike. I made it after the fact. The Gofundme page has already expired. leave it to rest.

What were you insinuating we did for a living? As far as income, Wife and I both work our asses off in decent jobs to live well.

My wife drives a 2012 Acura MDX, just like your wife. She took a loan on it to raise her credit. Its your wishful thinking that shes 40k in negative equity.

I see we both are wishful thinkers. I wish to earn what you have at a younger age and at a fraction of your costs, and you wish I fail in every way.

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-27-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
I'm learning that we come from two separate mindsets Mike. Mine is Russian, yours is English.
I wonder if this is why Russia lost the cold war?

I have a feeling Benzs55 is about to get lit up. Lots of material in his last post.

Last edited by DaveW68; 03-27-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaveW68
I wonder if this is why Russia lost the cold war?
But won WW2?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Did I say I put away 78k a year? No that was you. Don't be so angry that I can get that dent out with PDR.

Are you running low on your opioid scripts? A man of your age and with a "botched" back surgery is heavily addicted.

Your bitterness towards me has far exceeded the bounds of frustration over me not taking your advice. Are you flustered that I'm not succumbing to your control freak tendencies? Doing it Just your way? How one track minded. Theres more than one way to skin a cat.

What were you insinuating we did for a living? As far as income, Wife and I both work our asses off in decent jobs to live well.

My wife drives a 2012 Acura MDX, just like your wife.
I have no bitterness toward you. As I said, you're an entertaining character. Just that based on your posts you're very loose with the truth, depending on whatever silly story suits your needs in the moment.

I actually completely believe the pitch on your GoFundMe page...that you bought a wrecked Benz thinking it was going to cost $1000 to fix but now you've discovered it's going to cost much more and you can't afford the repairs.

Those are your words. Ironically that describes exactly the scenario we warned you about on Day One.

So is the GoFundMe pitch a total lie just to solicit money, or is the bit about you rolling in cash a lie to protect your ego? It's one or the other, but either one is pretty pathetic.

But no bitterness. Only the poor saps who sent you money have a reason to be bitter. I think one forum member actually sent you $100. Maybe go ahead and give that back.

Last edited by Mike5215; 03-27-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have no bitterness toward you. As I said, you're an entertaining character. Just that based on your posts you're very loose with the truth, depending on whatever silly story suits your needs in the moment.

I actually completely believe the pitch on your GoFundMe page...that you bought a wrecked Benz thinking it was going to cost $1000 to fix but now you've discovered it's going to cost much more and you can't afford the repairs.

Those are your words. Ironically that describes exactly the scenario we warned you about on Day One.

So is the GoFundMe pitch a total lie just to solicit money, or is the bit about you rolling in cash a lie to protect your ego? It's one or the other, but either one is pretty pathetic.

But no bitterness. Only the poor saps who sent you money have a reason to be bitter. I think one forum member actually sent you $100. Maybe go ahead and give that back.
"Thou doest protest too much" about the bitterness.

You warned me about about spending more on the car than $1000. Again, I knew that would be so. Don't keep going to the past because it will hinder you future. I'm looking ahead on my 'Cedes project. I've got time to make this car whole again.

The bit about me having money was the ability to be fugal and save money for big things. I made no mention of "being a high roller", you did.

The Gofundme pitch is correct. I'm not made of money as my suite of money would suggest, hence the taken picture.

You seem to know who sent me money. Who was this member? Don't talk about the donations of others when you passed on the collection plate.

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-27-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300

"Thou doest protest too much" about the bitterness.

The bit about me having money was the ability to be fugal and save money for big things. I made no mention of "being a high roller", you did.

The Gofundme pitch is correct. I'm not made of money as my suite of money would suggest, hence the taken picture.

You seem to know who sent me money. Who was this member? Don't talk about the donations of others when you passed on the collection plate.
So we're clear, you'd like the forum members to come out of their own pockets to help you pay for your S Class repairs so you can save your own money up and use it for "big things"? Does that sum it up?
Old 03-27-2016, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So we're clear, you'd like the forum members to come out of their own pockets to help you pay for your S Class repairs so you can save your own money up and use it for "big things"? Does that sum it up?
lol, Don't be a Debby downer. Wife and I save our money for big things, like a Car/house/vacation. I didn't/Don't expect anyone to donate their hard earned money.

Your trying to defame my character to make me look like I'm attempting to siphon money from forum members. Your a smart guy I can tell. But whatever your on is hindering your ability to dynamically focus your thought.

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-27-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
lol, Don't be a Debby downer. Wife and I save our money for big things, like a Car/house/vacation. I didn't/Don't expect anyone to donate their hard earned money.

Your trying to defame my character to make me look like I'm attempting to siphon money from forum members. Your a smart guy I can tell. But whatever your on is hindering your ability to dynamically focus your thought.
Well so far in the thread the only person who has openly admitted to using illegal drugs is you. I believe you claimed you were smoking weed and driving around with $17,000 in cash stacked in your car's rear window in plain view of a police patrol car (yet another absurd and implausible story).

Take it from Judge Judy: If you tell the truth you don't need a good memory. You're going to need a much better memory.

And no, the Soviet Union did not "win" WWII. The country that won still exists.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
I didn't/Don't expect anyone to donate their hard earned money.

Your trying to defame my character to make me look like I'm attempting to siphon money from forum members.
So then.....what exactly was the purpose of your GoFundMe page? And why did you call out Mike for not donating to it?
Old 03-27-2016, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well so far in the thread the only person who has openly admitted to using illegal drugs is you. I believe you claimed you were smoking weed and driving around with $17,000 in cash stacked in your car's rear window in plain view of a police patrol car (yet another absurd and implausible story).

Take it from Judge Judy: If you tell the truth you don't need a good memory. You're going to need a much better memory.

And no, the Soviet Union did not "win" WWII. The country that won still exists.
I admit to my past, so that my current self may look to my future. Are you suggesting I lie? How would that help anyone who is reading this and possibly in the same boat I was in?

I did what I did because it Was absurd and implausible(it makes for a better story and great memories). Just like figuring out the electrical issues utilizing helpful forum members.

As far as WW2, is that why Russia didn't get the lions share of Berlin? what happened after the cold war? Russia lost its satellite countries(One of which I'm from). Does that to you equate the extinction of the largest country in the world?

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 03-27-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaveW68
So then.....what exactly was the purpose of your GoFundMe page? And why did you call out Mike for not donating to it?
Reread previous posts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Quick Reply: I finally bought it Fellas!