S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

I finally bought it Fellas!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Acura TL 2008 - Acura MDX 2012
Haha, no I said I was not a betting man, but that I gambled on this car.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Here is the craziest hand ever in televised poker.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Look at it this way. Low credit scores are the result of either over committing or underperforming on purchases. You wanted stuff that you really couldn't afford. It's a problem with judgment in its simplest form. Now for a couple in their 30's, there's some time to turn that around and learn from those early mistakes. Good credit is essential. You'll always be bumping up against it.

So in this instance, you want a 221 badly but can't obtain one using conventional means. Instead of abandoning the idea as ill conceived given where you are financially at the moment, you decided to roll the dice sight unseen on a wrecked 221 you could get for cash and put back in shape.

Does that sound like something the young, impetuous you that got himself into trouble and ruined his credit would do, or something the wiser, more responsible you trying to restore his credit and financial sensibility would do?

See the problem? A 221 is never a rational purchase, even with good credit and plenty of income. Your 08 TL is a rational purchase. The bargain basement junkyard 221 is probably a bad idea. Now you need to make the most of it to limit your losses. This might end up being a very expensive lesson.

So if you guys make $160k and your rent is $20k, your wife drives that modest Impala, you have the used Acura, no kids, can you lay your hands on $30k cash and get a decent used 221?
She got rid of that impala, and bought a 2012 Acura MDX. She has three kids, one of which lives with us. The other two with her ex-husband. They worked out a deal(not that kind of deal :P ), so no one pays child support. We don't have a liquid 30k atm. Less now that I've spent 12k for this S550 + Shipping.

Your right mike, my decision to get this car was a bit hasteful. I figured that while we work to bring up our credit scores, I could get this car on the side.

I'm not in a rush to get it on the road. More of a project over time. I love this model and wanted to get one before they A) Got to many miles on them, or B) Became to hard to find one with lower miles. I believe the W221 aswell as the Acura TL 04-08 will someday be classic cars. I chose to buy both of them auction, because I could not afford them before. I spent too much time throwing my money away on on cheap thrills. This was part of my logic when I factored this purchase.

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 02-28-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaveW68
Here is the craziest hand ever in televised poker.

WSOP 2008 Main Event - Royal Flush vs. Quad Aces - YouTube
Lol, that guy is from my city! Though this guy looks like a hillbilly. What a play.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
I would also add: MAX OUT THE 401K every. single. year.

Matched, not matched, it doesn't matter.

Index funds and forget about it, but that money is your future. That money is the money that will someday make you money that you don't have to make with your own back.

And get every single credit account negotiated, settled. and permanently behind you. Work with a professional on this.

And $1700 in rent against 150k in income is not worth a tax panick. Pay your taxes, don't spend, and save up the excess.

When it's time to buy a house buy less than you can afford. Smart money says to buy $1700 a month worth, and if you cant get one for that then keep paying rent and saving up your money.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
And I really think once you tear down the S, you should sit down with a pencil and calculator and think long and hard if you should part it out if you can get out anywhere near flat.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by nycphotography

Index funds and forget about it, but that money is your future. That money is the money that will someday make you money that you don't have to make with your own back.

And get every single credit account negotiated, settled. and permanently behind you. Work with a professional on this.

And $1700 in rent against 150k in income is not worth a tax panick. Pay your taxes, don't spend, and save up the excess.

When it's time to buy a house buy less than you can afford. Smart money says to buy $1700 a month worth, and if you cant get one for that then keep paying rent and saving up your money.
Okay, we both actually do occupy the same world.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For $1700 we can get a newer starter home 1700-2000sq in this area.

I'll find out Monday what the annual cap is on my 401k is. My employer has their own credit union, so getting an account there will get me a home with no money down(per my coworkers). I'm assuming this is true provided a certain credit worthiness..

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 02-28-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Funny how this thread has gone from a poor purchase of a junked car to investment and housing advice.

My thoughts about getting into a 401k right now? If it isn't matched, why bother? Yes, there is the tax shelter that helps a little bit if you're a high end earner. But I feel the market is not only going to see a big correction....it's going to crash MUCH worse than it did in 2008, 1987, and even 1929. And all of that money you're socking away in your non-matched 401k is going to be worth less than half of what you started putting in. IMO, you'd be better off sticking it into a fixed account for now, then re-enter the market after it gets down below 5k. Yes, I firmly believe it's heading lower than that. Hell, it may never be worth getting back in as f'ed up as the Fed and Wall Street are. We're in a financial mess that I don't see how our money will ever be recovered. The pr*cks at the very top are going to get it all. If you're name is Rothschild or Rockefeller, you're likely not worried though, since it's all gonna funnel your way.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 2007 S550, 2012 S550 4-Matic, 2015 GL450
Funny how this thread has gone from a poor purchase of a junked car to investment and housing advice.

My thoughts about getting into a 401k right now? If it isn't matched, why bother? Yes, there is the tax shelter that helps a little bit if you're a high end earner. But I feel the market is not only going to see a big correction....it's going to crash MUCH worse than it did in 2008, 1987, and even 1929. And all of that money you're socking away in your non-matched 401k is going to be worth less than half of what you started putting in. IMO, you'd be better off sticking it into a fixed account for now, then re-enter the market after it gets down below 5k. Yes, I firmly believe it's heading lower than that. Hell, it may never be worth getting back in as f'ed up as the Fed and Wall Street are. We're in a financial mess that I don't see how our money will ever be recovered. The pr*cks at the very top are going to get it all. If you're name is Rothschild or Rockefeller, you're likely not worried though, since it's all gonna funnel your way.

Not sure I agree with you about Dow 5K, but I'm with you on the funding the 401K when matched and the damn Fed. My mistake was 'Fighting the Fed' the last few years. I missed the bull market after scoring big after the 2008-2009 downturn. All that liquidity in the market is trying to find a return. This has inflated the stock market, the housing market and tech startups. I have inside knowledge of some startups and I cannot believe the funding they have received for poor or no business fundamentals. These startup folks are spending money like it's 1999!
Old 02-28-2016, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I gave up playing the market after the rout of 2008. I just split my allocations evenly now between a cash position and a couple of index funds.

The market goes up, I feel good about the funds and think I'm a genius. It goes down, I feel good about the cash and feel like a genius. Probably not the smartest investment strategy but screw it.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by KNBS550
Not sure I agree with you about Dow 5K, but I'm with you on the funding the 401K when matched and the damn Fed. My mistake was 'Fighting the Fed' the last few years. I missed the bull market after scoring big after the 2008-2009 downturn. All that liquidity in the market is trying to find a return. This has inflated the stock market, the housing market and tech startups. I have inside knowledge of some startups and I cannot believe the funding they have received for poor or no business fundamentals. These startup folks are spending money like it's 1999!
Sounds a lot like the dot com and housing bubbles. Except this time the Fed doesn't have a way to fix the problem. They've run out of ideas and the only thing they've been able to come up with is creating money out of thin air. That bubble is massive and I don't think there is a way to re-inflate it after it explodes. Considering that the Fed is a private bank run by corrupt people who's intention is to steal the rest of the world's wealth, it is my contention that they are purposely creating the bubble so it can explode and shift all of the wealth to just a few people who want to run the world. The Rothschild family and their heirs own more than half of all of the world's wealth....more than $500 trillion. How come we don't see any of their names on the Forbes richest lists?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
I gave up playing the market after the rout of 2008. I just split my allocations evenly now between a cash position and a couple of index funds.

The market goes up, I feel good about the funds and think I'm a genius. It goes down, I feel good about the cash and feel like a genius. Probably not the smartest investment strategy but screw it.
With the impending bubble explosion, it doesn't seem like a bad strategy to me. At least you'll get to keep half of your money. But not sure how much it will actually be worth after the big pop.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Ha! In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king! I figure I'll have at least one eye.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
I think people are insane and their weird market ideas online are just laughable. Everyone thinks they're smarter than the average shark. Um. Bell curve guys. It's a thing.

I don't really say what I think the markets are going to do, but I have enough market exposure and don't want to keep piling in more.

Which is why I did the rentals. I wanted to diversify, and I saw a place where I could make fat returns if I went back to my roots and did the work myself. Once I finish one and get it rented, I never "lose" money. Worst case, I have a unit turn over and I just "make less" than I hoped. In a bad year I think I lose 3 or 4 months against 120 rental months. In a really awful year, I could have lots of tenants blow up, and end up having to lower all my rents. But i'd still not be losing money... just making less. And last time around, rents didn't go down, because there was this weird surge in people suddenly looking for places to rent.

It's also why I don't borrow against them to invest really big. Right now I have 10 families working full time and giving me the single biggest chunk of what they make.

But I still put the max in the 401k every year.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds a lot like the dot com and housing bubbles. Except this time the Fed doesn't have a way to fix the problem. They've run out of ideas and the only thing they've been able to come up with is creating money out of thin air. That bubble is massive and I don't think there is a way to re-inflate it after it explodes. Considering that the Fed is a private bank run by corrupt people who's intention is to steal the rest of the world's wealth, it is my contention that they are purposely creating the bubble so it can explode and shift all of the wealth to just a few people who want to run the world. The Rothschild family and their heirs own more than half of all of the world's wealth....more than $500 trillion. How come we don't see any of their names on the Forbes richest lists?
I'm taking you wouldn't recommend starting a Roth IRA?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think people are insane and their weird market ideas online are just laughable. Everyone thinks they're smarter than the average shark. Um. Bell curve guys. It's a thing.

I don't really say what I think the markets are going to do, but I have enough market exposure and don't want to keep piling in more.

Which is why I did the rentals. I wanted to diversify, and I saw a place where I could make fat returns if I went back to my roots and did the work myself. Once I finish one and get it rented, I never "lose" money. Worst case, I have a unit turn over and I just "make less" than I hoped. In a bad year I think I lose 3 or 4 months against 120 rental months. In a really awful year, I could have lots of tenants blow up, and end up having to lower all my rents. But i'd still not be losing money... just making less. And last time around, rents didn't go down, because there was this weird surge in people suddenly looking for places to rent.

It's also why I don't borrow against them to invest really big. Right now I have 10 families working full time and giving me the single biggest chunk of what they make.

But I still put the max in the 401k every year.
Thats a good business. I was plumbing help in new housing between school since I was 8-23 y/o. When my Wife and I buy a house its going to be a newer fixer-upper. This way I can fix what I can and have roof/electrical done by the Comrades a discount on labor and materials. My dream is to someday have a rental and not be the renter.

Last edited by mercedesbenzs55; 02-29-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
Wtf? I leave for a day and this thread has definitely turned a crazy corner.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I don't get it.

You have a friend that will let your car sit on their $$$$ cellete for months while you sort this out...for free? Thats an awful lot of money they will be losing. Or is the comrad method where you measure a few points with a ruler and weld something together?

You seem like you have a relatively decent head on your shoulders, but this was a bad call, period.

Finally, where were your parents when they let you remove an engine with a cherry picker at 7?
Old 02-29-2016, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by mercedesbenzs55
I'm taking you wouldn't recommend starting a Roth IRA?
Sure.....why not? Especially if you're looking for an after tax shelter for when you retire where the money and earnings won't be taxed when you take it. I just wouldn't be putting any more of my money into this stock market right now. I firmly believe there is a major crash in the offing and I wouldn't put any money in there where I wasn't willing to risk losing all of it.

Before I'd consider getting back into the market, I'd need to wait at least a few years after the crash to see how the market will attempt to come back. If it's doing so on sound principals and not because of some private central bank printing money to prop it up to aid all of their crony buddies. IMO, Wall Street and the Fed are legalized criminals. How often do you knowingly hand your money and your future over to criminals?

If it were me starting out with what I know now, I'd be seeking fixed accounts that are in no way tied to the stock market. Sure, the returns can suck, but it's better to go up by just a little each year than to just give it all away.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I think if you like being a landlord, you're good with general carpentry, plumbing and electrical work and have the time to do it, you get really lucky with tenants who pay on time all of the time and don't tear stuff up, and the market is such where it supports rental rates that not only debt service the property, but allow a small margin for unexpected (but unavoidable) repairs, plus maybe a little profit, rental properties are fine.

They'll generally appreciate, so other people essentially are paying off the mortgage(s) on an appreciable asset for you. Where you can get in trouble is getting too ambitious in collecting new properties (because if one property is great, ten are better) and leveraging the equity in your existing portfolio to add new properties. Or getting nervous about vacancies and lowering your applicant standards, your rates, or both.

A buddy of mine had a great decade in the 1990's scooping up beach properties and converting them to rentals. He was way over exposed when the housing bubble burst, banks were calling in loans and the equity and access to credit for non owner occupied venture properties suddenly evaporated. Up until that point, nobody ever dreamed that housing could depreciate. It had always done nothing but go up.

You really just never know if your investments are doing well because you're super savvy and smart, or just lucky enough to be in the right things at an ideal time caused by an unseen anomaly causing a bubble . A rising tide lifts all boats.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't get it.

You have a friend that will let your car sit on their $$$$ cellete for months while you sort this out...for free? Thats an awful lot of money they will be losing. Or is the comrad method where you measure a few points with a ruler and weld something together?

You seem like you have a relatively decent head on your shoulders, but this was a bad call, period.

Finally, where were your parents when they let you remove an engine with a cherry picker at 7?
Car will sit in my garage. Ill just get a trip permit and drive it to the shop when need be.

My dad was right there next to me when I removed the engine at the body shop he worked for growing up. We came to the states in 1991 so my parents still had the old world mentality.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NA
Can the OP change the title of this thread please........
Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by goosesedan
To what....MBworld forum members financial advisers group?
Old 02-29-2016, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by goosesedan
I think if you like being a landlord, you're good with general carpentry, plumbing and electrical work and have the time to do it, you get really lucky with tenants who pay on time all of the time and don't tear stuff up, and the market is such where it supports rental rates that not only debt service the property, but allow a small margin for unexpected (but unavoidable) repairs, plus maybe a little profit, rental properties are fine.

They'll generally appreciate, so other people essentially are paying off the mortgage(s) on an appreciable asset for you. Where you can get in trouble is getting too ambitious in collecting new properties (because if one property is great, ten are better) and leveraging the equity in your existing portfolio to add new properties. Or getting nervous about vacancies and lowering your applicant standards, your rates, or both.

A buddy of mine had a great decade in the 1990's scooping up beach properties and converting them to rentals. He was way over exposed when the housing bubble burst, banks were calling in loans and the equity and access to credit for non owner occupied venture properties suddenly evaporated. Up until that point, nobody ever dreamed that housing could depreciate. It had always done nothing but go up.

You really just never know if your investments are doing well because you're super savvy and smart, or just lucky enough to be in the right things at an ideal time caused by an unseen anomaly causing a bubble . A rising tide lifts all boats.
Dspending on the time I had available. I may have a property management co. Find the clients and ask for rent. But this route would be an extra monthly expense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average.

Quick Reply: I finally bought it Fellas!