Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > S-Class (W221)
Rear Suspension Very High >

Rear Suspension Very High

Notices
S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Old 05-31-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S 550 4M, 2007 CLS 63 AMG, 2015 ML 350 4M, 2014 Ram 1500, 2004 Lexus RX 330, 2014 Honda Accord

I searched the forum for advice on this but did not come across any threads.

This morning on my drive home, I got an airmatic malfunction sign and then noticed the ride was very stiff in the rear. Checked the suspension, and the rear (passenger and driver sides) are very high. Car ride height does not change with pressing the raise/lower button, does not come down when turning off. The front suspension is working fine. Any idea on what I should check, what it most likely is, or does this need to go to the dealer (trying to avoid going to Benz)?

FYI both front struts and compressor were changed mid-2016 along with the 40amp fuse.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by multimillboy; 05-31-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by multimillboy View Post
I searched the forum for advice on this but did not come across any threads.

This morning on my drive home, I got an airmatic malfunction sign and then noticed the ride was very stiff in the rear. Checked the suspension, and the rear (passenger and driver sides) are very high. Car ride height does not change with pressing the raise/lower button, does not come down when turning off. The front suspension is working fine. Any idea on what I should check, what it most likely is, or does this need to go to the dealer (trying to avoid going to Benz)?

FYI both front struts and compressor were changed mid-2016 along with the 40amp fuse.

Thanks in advance.
Without an SDS it would be hard to diagnose. I've had failed valve blocks cause the problem you are describing. Rears hang open so residual pressure in the central reservoir fills the rear struts.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
S63
Were you playing with some lowering links? When I removed mine to replace with the OEM, my rear end did the same thing. MB Came and picked up the car, tech said I installed the rear OEM links upsidedown.