S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Rear Suspension Very High

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 Mercedes S500, 2021 Suburban Duramax
Rear Suspension Very High

I searched the forum for advice on this but did not come across any threads.

This morning on my drive home, I got an airmatic malfunction sign and then noticed the ride was very stiff in the rear. Checked the suspension, and the rear (passenger and driver sides) are very high. Car ride height does not change with pressing the raise/lower button, does not come down when turning off. The front suspension is working fine. Any idea on what I should check, what it most likely is, or does this need to go to the dealer (trying to avoid going to Benz)?

FYI both front struts and compressor were changed mid-2016 along with the 40amp fuse.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by multimillboy; 05-31-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by multimillboy

This morning on my drive home, I got an airmatic malfunction sign and then noticed the ride was very stiff in the rear. Checked the suspension, and the rear (passenger and driver sides) are very high. Car ride height does not change with pressing the raise/lower button, does not come down when turning off. The front suspension is working fine. Any idea on what I should check, what it most likely is, or does this need to go to the dealer (trying to avoid going to Benz)?

FYI both front struts and compressor were changed mid-2016 along with the 40amp fuse.

Thanks in advance.
Without an SDS it would be hard to diagnose. I've had failed valve blocks cause the problem you are describing. Rears hang open so residual pressure in the central reservoir fills the rear struts.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
S63
Were you playing with some lowering links? When I removed mine to replace with the OEM, my rear end did the same thing. MB Came and picked up the car, tech said I installed the rear OEM links upsidedown.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:33 AM

W221 S550 4Matic (AMG/Designo)
I am having the same problem now. Did you end up resolving yours?
Old 12-21-2020, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by multimillboy

Thanks in advance.
Most likely level sensor problem. If it was valve stuck open in the block it would mean both valves for rear got stuck at the same time if both sides at rear are up the same way.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S-class W221
Originally Posted by esqd
I am having the same problem now. Did you end up resolving yours?
Hey Bro... did you solve the problem??? i have the same problem right now with my 2007 S-class
Old 05-28-2023, 11:56 AM

W221 S550 4Matic (AMG/Designo)
Originally Posted by NoBrakes
Hey Bro... did you solve the problem??? i have the same problem right now with my 2007 S-class
Yes, the rear height sensor’s bracket rusted. After replacing it everything went back to normal.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 750 Likes on 635 Posts
S500
its very odd - that's three people here where its snapped off and they go high - for most people it collapses on the floor

how does it do this ? pure luck it snaps so fast the sensor arm flips 180 degrees and thus by luck goes high ?
Old 06-02-2023, 11:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S-class W221
Originally Posted by esqd
Yes, the rear height sensor’s bracket rusted. After replacing it everything went back to normal.
Thanks for your response, atleast i now have an idea of what exactly the problem is and how much it might cost!
Old 06-04-2023, 07:05 PM

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts
W221 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by BOTUS
its very odd - that's three people here where its snapped off and they go high - for most people it collapses on the floor

how does it do this ? pure luck it snaps so fast the sensor arm flips 180 degrees and thus by luck goes high ?
When I was trying to calibrate my suspension a little bit lower than where it had been since it was manufactured, on the test drive, it would all of a sudden go high on all 4 corners. Like REALLY high. The temporary remedy was to pull over and turn the car off and on again. But, it'd happen again at the first dip in the road.

My guess is that the potentiometers in the sensors were in unfamiliar territory and giving erratic values. Kinda like when you play with the volume knob of a vintage stereo and here a slight crackle when you turn it. That's corrosion and is easily fixed by using Deoxit spray or turning it back and forth quickly several times to get rid of the oxidation.

All of this was fixed when I installed new ride height sensors on all 4 corners.