S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Removing upper/lower coolant hoses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 07:27 PM

Received 202 Likes on 119 Posts
2007 Mercedes C280,2007 Mercedes S550,2008 Mercedes Gl450, 2012 Audi A6, 2007 Porsche 997 twin turbo
Removing upper/lower coolant hoses

So my upper coolant hose developed a really nice hole at that.
My plan was to change both upper and lower hoses but I have not tried to remove the top/bottom metal inserts from where they are in and it seems like they are fused in. Now I am sure these are the orginal hoses and being that the car has 183k miles there is no doubt that there is dirt jammed in there make it impossible to remove them but I don’t know what else to use or do. I have added a picture.. the purple sure is the part that is stuck inside the radiator.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 529 Likes on 354 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Do you have WIS?
Old 12-11-2022, 11:19 PM

2007 Mercedes C280,2007 Mercedes S550,2008 Mercedes Gl450, 2012 Audi A6, 2007 Porsche 997 twin turbo
Yes, I do but I have checked and there is much there except to say that you pull hose and it comes off. The below video shows with ease how the guy just takes off the hose. Lol

Old 04-03-2023, 04:46 AM

Received 374 Likes on 230 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
So I replaced my hoses a few weeks back, and expansion tank. The project went just fine, with no problems. My new spring clamps showed up after I was done, so I figured I'd put on the new clamps later, just to be safe. Well, did so yesterday, drove about 10 minutes, and the lower radiator hose that connects to the engine block blew off, causing coolant to be dumped everywhere. I checked the hose, and sure enough it had become dislocated from the engine block. I then was suddenly unsure of my spring clamp installation, as I thought I had it snapped in correctly, and had no problems when I had previously installed the old clamp. Can anyone clarify how exactly this clamp should be installed, and maybe post a photo? It seems the little cutout/triangle at the top should snap over the connection on the left or right side, but it is impossible to do so due to the tight location. Is a good satisfying 'snap' onto the hose good enough, or is there a specific orientation? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:20 PM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
2007 S550
Originally Posted by nath_h
So I replaced my hoses a few weeks back, and expansion tank. The project went just fine, with no problems. My new spring clamps showed up after I was done, so I figured I'd put on the new clamps later, just to be safe. Well, did so yesterday, drove about 10 minutes, and the lower radiator hose that connects to the engine block blew off, causing coolant to be dumped everywhere. I checked the hose, and sure enough it had become dislocated from the engine block. I then was suddenly unsure of my spring clamp installation, as I thought I had it snapped in correctly, and had no problems when I had previously installed the old clamp. Can anyone clarify how exactly this clamp should be installed, and maybe post a photo? It seems the little cutout/triangle at the top should snap over the connection on the left or right side, but it is impossible to do so due to the tight location. Is a good satisfying 'snap' onto the hose good enough, or is there a specific orientation? Thanks in advance.
I replaced a radiator and had that happen to me. I used the spring clips that came with the radiator. Big mistake! The top hose blew and showered my engine compartment and garage floor with brand new expensive coolant. I replaced all the spring clips with the old original ones and everything is fine now. The best way to install the hoses is to snap the clips in there, snap in the hose and wiggle it in all directions while pulling. If you can pull it out with just the force of your hands, you either didn't lock in both sides of the hose or you have crappy clips that aren't strong enough. Mercedes does make and sell original replacements clips.
The following users liked this post:
nath_h (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shadly1
I replaced a radiator and had that happen to me. I used the spring clips that came with the radiator. Big mistake! The top hose blew and showered my engine compartment and garage floor with brand new expensive coolant. I replaced all the spring clips with the old original ones and everything is fine now. The best way to install the hoses is to snap the clips in there, snap in the hose and wiggle it in all directions while pulling. If you can pull it out with just the force of your hands, you either didn't lock in both sides of the hose or you have crappy clips that aren't strong enough. Mercedes does make and sell original replacements clips.
Thanks for your reply and tips. I finally did manage to get it back on, but took it by a local shop yesterday to verify it was on there correctly. It was worth the peace of mind to have someone else look at it who gets paid for a living to do this.

While I was doing this job, I noticed a curious and odd thing. On the hose connection referenced above (lower pipe into engine block, I noticed I was missing a chunk of the aluminum (or steel) pipe coming out of the engine block, broken off at the edge. It seems the connection is stil able to hold without leaks, but what on earth could have caused this? It is so buried in there behind the belts that it is hard to imagine I or anyone else could have created enough force to damage it. Could it just have been metal fatigue that finally broke off after 15 years or use? What I'm wondering is where the chunk is, and if it is floating around my cooling system, somewhere.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 E63 AMG, 2007 S550 AMG
Originally Posted by nath_h
Thanks for your reply and tips. I finally did manage to get it back on, but took it by a local shop yesterday to verify it was on there correctly. It was worth the peace of mind to have someone else look at it who gets paid for a living to do this.

While I was doing this job, I noticed a curious and odd thing. On the hose connection referenced above (lower pipe into engine block, I noticed I was missing a chunk of the aluminum (or steel) pipe coming out of the engine block, broken off at the edge. It seems the connection is stil able to hold without leaks, but what on earth could have caused this? It is so buried in there behind the belts that it is hard to imagine I or anyone else could have created enough force to damage it. Could it just have been metal fatigue that finally broke off after 15 years or use? What I'm wondering is where the chunk is, and if it is floating around my cooling system, somewhere.
Not sure what could have caused the missing chunk of metal, except maybe if it had been in an accident or had some kind of incident where something on the road popped up and hit that part of the motor. Not sure if you are the original owner or not.

For your earlier question on installing new hoses, I recently replaced my radiator and when installing the hoses, I installed the metal clips on the hose first and then pressed the hose into the opening until I heard two clicks. To be sure the hose was installed properly, I gave the hose a slight pull to make sure it was seated and then started the engine and let it idle for a few minutes to make sure it was not leaking.

The following users liked this post:
texas008 (01-24-2024)
Old 04-08-2023, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Maxfli
Not sure what could have caused the missing chunk of metal, except maybe if it had been in an accident or had some kind of incident where something on the road popped up and hit that part of the motor. Not sure if you are the original owner or not.

For your earlier question on installing new hoses, I recently replaced my radiator and when installing the hoses, I installed the metal clips on the hose first and then pressed the hose into the opening until I heard two clicks. To be sure the hose was installed properly, I gave the hose a slight pull to make sure it was seated and then started the engine and let it idle for a few minutes to make sure it was not leaking.
Thanks for your tips regarding installation. Nope, not the original owner, but I don't believe the car has ever been in an accident. Next time I'm at the dealer, I'll ask them about it, but they will probably not even have a guess....just such an odd thing, in such an odd place. It's got to be a metal fatigue problem, thinking about it more.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS 550
Originally Posted by clb0099
So my upper coolant hose developed a really nice hole at that.
My plan was to change both upper and lower hoses but I have not tried to remove the top/bottom metal inserts from where they are in and it seems like they are fused in. Now I am sure these are the orginal hoses and being that the car has 183k miles there is no doubt that there is dirt jammed in there make it impossible to remove them but I don’t know what else to use or do. I have added a picture.. the purple sure is the part that is stuck inside the radiator.
hey i have the same problem all of the hose like that wont come out did you find a solution??
Old 05-04-2024, 08:05 PM

I would trying a flathead screwdriver try to wedge into where the hose connects. Maybe wD40 for PB blaster as there might be crud build up. Also keep kinda wiggling the hose as you pull on it.

Originally Posted by MadOvaHollywood
hey i have the same problem all of the hose like that wont come out did you find a solution??
Old 05-05-2024, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 937 Likes on 773 Posts
S500
this says lemon juice or vinegar

when its out baking soda and a tooth brush

https://allthingsaluminum.com/cleani...num-corrosion/
Old 05-05-2024, 06:39 AM

I just did this recently while replacing the water pump. Firstly, I'll answer my own earlier question...the chunk of metal 'missing' on the water pump outlet is just the design of the thing...my new pump was exactly the same. Secondly, the hose is a little tough to get out...I helped it along with some careful prying. Finally, regarding the clip, I had problems with this again. The little triangle at the top of the clip should be facing straight forward. Next time I'll do like an earlier poster said and put the clamp on first and then force the hose in. Make sure the hose is seated very well into the pump...takes some force.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 591 Likes on 430 Posts
222 S-65
A dab of sexual lubricant for the O-Ring is well advised during install. She no likey the dry sex! Coolant will suffice. Shove the hose in there. You will hear/feel it click into place. Be sure it gets shoved from multiple angles for the clip to engage everywhere.